5.0 out of 5 stars Best Beginner's How To Fish Book
I have owned several editions and copies of this book, going way back to the first edition when I was 9. I used it to become one of the best fisherwomen in our family.

Published on November 10, 2006 by P. A. Childress

3.0 out of 5 stars POCKET SIZE HANDBOOK FOR FISHING
I received the Fishing guide in perfect condition. However, I hoped it would be a bit more in depth in it's coverage with each topic. However, I did find that the variety of it's content, was still very interesting. The rating I gave this guide I felt was appropriate, as the handbook contains color illustrations that are artist renderings from the 60's era it appears to...
Published 10 months ago by PNTHSE9900

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Beginner's How To Fish Book, November 10, 2006
P. A. Childress "Naturalist PNW" (Castle Rock, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fishing: A Guide to Fresh and Salt-Water Fishing (Paperback)

That first edition book got lost in my travels, so I got the new edition for my older daughter to use it for a ready reference for fishing tips when on trips. She is 25 now and is a good fisherwoman like her mother. That book eventually got lost too, so I got another new edition for my youngest daughter of 12 and also for myself so I can learn how to fish on the Southeast Coast of the United States. I am 50 now and still take the book with me whenever I go fishing in the Pacific Northwest as a ready reference on fishing rig set ups.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Golden Books" continue to enlighten, thrill & educate., July 7, 2000
john wilkie (Surfside Beach, SC United States) - See all my reviews
"Golden Books" were great for my children and grandchildren, and now their "Fishing", "A Guide To Fresh and Salt-water", book helps me with salt-water fish identification and tackle preparation. I have recently relocated to the S.C. coast and do a lot of salt-water fishing. With all of the rules and regulations relative to fish size and limits, "Fishing" comes in handy in identifying the fish caught so as not to run afoul of the "man" by having the wrong fish in the creel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fishing, A golden guide from St. Martin's Press, September 27, 2010
As a novice angler, I was looking for a definitive guide on how to get a fish on the hook - the right way! I knew that it had to be more then just pot luck. Most of the fishing I do is ocean/river and salt water fishing, because I live near the Jersey shore. Although, after reading Fishing, I'm ready to try fresh water fising now. Well, the Golden Guide on fishing more then met my expectations. When I ordered this little book on fishing, able to fix nicely in my tackle box for on-sight reference, I ordered another fishing book for cross-reference purposes. I didn't have to, because this book covered every conceivable aspect of fishing imaginable from A to Z. Just like a marine preparing for battle, you have to know what field equipment you'll need to be successful. This book helped me to take an angler's review of my tackle box and equipment and update it. If you want to learn how to tie fishing flies by hand then this may not be the right book for you. If you want to learn how to fish and what you will need to be successful then this is the book for you. Rick S from South (New) Jersey

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for a Beginner!, May 21, 2010
Maria McNeil (Butte, Montana) - See all my reviews
This book is AWESOME for the beginner! I just got back into fishing (haven't fished since I was a kid) and it really covers most of the bases. It goes over the different areas to fish (rivers, lakes, ponds, etc) and gives you tips on the hot spots of this places. It also reviews the different types of hooks/jigs/bait to use for which fish. It's a great little book to keep with you and also give as a gift to someone who is just starting up.

5.0 out of 5 stars great starter book for kids, May 19, 2011
JenT (Collegeville, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my 10-year old son who has become obsessed with fishing in the past year. He dove right into it and finished reading it in a matter of a day or two. Handy that it fits into a pocket on his cargo shorts, so he can take it with him and refer to it for knot-tying, line issues, etc. A great beginner book and ongoing resource!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, June 13, 1999
A powerful, pocket-sized introduction to the wide world of fishing. Excellent, extensive illustrations. I loved this book when I was a kid, and it still holds up well. I recommend it for anyone, child or adult, who is new to the angling arts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Every page is worth framing, October 6, 2005
Mike Smith (Albuquerque, NM) - See all my reviews
Aside from being a good, introductory guide to fishing, this book's artwork makes it a classic of 1960s artwork. The book contains great old photographs of men in waders, leaping tuna, and dead fish hanging from hooks, as well as terrifically kitschy drawings of various trout, reels, knots, and mahi-mahi.

The book is well organized and thorough, and even contains an index.

I'll keep my copy forever.

4.0 out of 5 stars compact book, September 18, 2011
It was a much smaller book than I expected, but that was actually a plus. It fits easily into a pocket when out fishing. Good reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book, December 6, 2001
Bruce W. Willett (Abilene, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for those who want to carry a concise reference on fishing. The book is easy to read and locating information is no problem.
I try to not leave home without a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for the beginning and experienced fisherman!, July 21, 2008
I saw an earlier edition of the "Golden Guide to Fishing" many years ago when I was young and it left an impression on me then. I always believed it would make a nice addition for teaching the Fishing Merit Badge in Boy Scouts. After purchasing and reading the new edition, I am convinced. A great resource for not only the beginning fisherman, but also for experienced anglers as well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Fishing: A Guide to Fresh and Salt-Water Fishing
Fishing: A Guide to Fresh and Salt-Water Fishing by George S. Fichter (Paperback - April 14, 2001)
$6.95