4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - wish it was longer!
This was a great book - especially if you live and fish the beaches and jetties of Ventura County CA as I have started to do. The author gives proven techniques that work.

Published on April 6, 2009 by N. Fuentes

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible
While the title sounds great and the subject matter important i think the only thing that the writer caught was me. I have seen better books on web sites and regret spending my money on a paperback that should have been free. I am surprised that Amazon thought this book should be in their library. It will not let me give this book no stars. Live and learn!
Published on July 27, 2010 by R. L. Sweeney

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible, July 27, 2010
This review is from: Fishing Success! Off the Beach: Shore Fishing Seasons Open all Year (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - wish it was longer!, April 6, 2009
N. Fuentes (Ventura, CA USA) - See all my reviews

My only gripes are that there could have been a few more pictures and diagrams of the rigs he was describing. I really enjoyed the book, but it was too short! Finally, I think someone from the publisher/editor's office needs some English lessons as there are numerous spelling and grammar mistakes throughout the text.

Overall, I enjoyed it - I've referred back to it several times and I think it's a keeper. I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for California surf fishing, December 23, 2013
Anyone thinking of surf fishing should take a look at this book first. Tips on tackle, tides, timing, and cooking your catch.
Short and to the point

5.0 out of 5 stars Fishing Success! Off the beach; SHore Fishing Seasons Open All Year., December 10, 2012
Gary Wiley (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This book is kind of thin but gets right to the point about rock fishing from shore. I foiund the information contained inside informative and practical. Written by a fisherman for fisherman. I just need to find some areas to fish and apply the techniques the author speaks of.

1.0 out of 5 stars Still needs some work, January 30, 2012
Andrew C. Harmer (San Luis Obispo, CA) - See all my reviews
On first receipt of this book I was a little unimpressed by its brevity. I could easily look past that if it had good information and was well written. I was sorely disappointed on both counts.
The book is full of spelling and grammar error, to the point of being comical. For example, "wearing the bottom out of a boat"...SPELLED "whoring". If he had one friend read it before he printed it, they should have caught that on the first page.

So, aside from the book being full of grammar and spelling errors, the writing is also poor. He often repeats himself when he does not need to. The sentences do not flow in any meaningful way and many of the paragraphs seem unconnected, leading the reader all over the place.

My wife told me, that's what I get for buying a self published book, and I will show more caution in future purchases.

On to content. The author only covers one type of fishing rig, and he does not even draw a diagram of that. A slider with a whole squid will catch many fish, but leaves a lot of gaping holes in the coastline. He does not mention perch or corbina, which are arguably the most popular fish to catch from the beach in California. The target of his attention is rockfish and occasionally other nearshore fish (cabezon, bass, halibut, white seabass). It seems like he uses this one specific set up and catches mostly rockfish, and from time to time snags something else. Then he keeps repeating that he is lucky, and you should not expect results like his.

He did not bother to look up different types of fishing reels that would be suitable for this type of fishing. He glossed over that by simply stating there are too many to name, and here is the one I use (which is no longer in production).

The topic is interesting, and the book needed to be made, but this author does not have the skills to deliver. This book could make up a chapter in a proper sized book on surf fishing, but it would have to be completely rewritten.

In conclusion, if you want to wade through confusing sentences to read about one specific type of fishing rig to catch rockfish from the beach, then check out this book. For me, I cannot give this book away, so it will grace the recycle bin with tomorrows rubbish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, June 13, 2008
J. Diamond (Simi Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
Mr. Wiegand's book is packed full of wonderful tips and anecdotes for local california beach fishing! easy and enjoyable reading.

Fishing Success! Off the Beach: Shore Fishing Seasons Open all Year
Fishing Success! Off the Beach: Shore Fishing Seasons Open all Year by Richard Wiegand (Paperback - September 5, 2007)
$10.00 $9.00