Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I live in San Antonio, Texas and my yard is fairly shaded in the front so I have St. Augustine grass there. However, the back gets full sun so we have planted Bermuda since it likes the sun and is drought resistant. Fine grasses like Zoysia and Bermuda should be cut low and with a reel mower instead of a rotary mower. My first reel mower was the Scotts 20-Inch Classic mower. I loved how quiet is was and it gave my grass a nice, clean cut. When I received my Fiskars mower I never thought that I would love it more than my Scott's, but I was wrong.

The Fiskars has more plastic than the Scott's but it is in nonessential components, like the front housing, which is more for appearance. It was pretty easy to put together, however you will need both an 11mm and an 18 mm wrench or socket. It feels a little "looser" than my Scots but that doesn't seem to be a problem. Between the time that I assembled it and the time that I completed my video review I used the mower over 10 times (I even cut several of my neighbors yards) so that I could give it a fair evaluation. I found that it was easier to push than my Scotts and was even quieter. I hope that this video review is helpful to you!

6/25/2013 UPDATE: I have had my Fiskars for over a year now and it is still going strong. I haven't had to sharpen the blade and it still cuts grass like a champ!
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This StaySharp mower is the budget option of the beautifully-designed Fiskars reel mowers, which aim to revamp and revitalize the old-skool push mowers our grandpas used.

There are three options in this line, the StaySharp (cheapest), Staysharp Plus (mid-range), and the Staysharp Max (which has more premium features to handle tough situations). While the manufacturer's prices reflect these differences, retailers such as Amazon set their own prices, so it may behoove you to check the current pricing on all three to be sure you are making the right choice for your budget and needs.

In this review I will discuss my experiences with the StaySharp Max first since I have owned it for some time, then share what differentiates the three mowers so you can make the best buying decision for your lawn.

I've owned the StaySharp Max (which was previously called the Momentum but has been re-named to fit within this StaySharp line) for over a year now and it allowed me to get rid of my old gas mower, which I absolutely hated. The pull-cord, the noise, the smell, and the mess of dealing with gasoline made mowing an unpleasant task.

Traditional reel mowers are hard to push, a bit on the noisy side, and get rusty and funky fast so need a lot of maintenance to stay in good shape. The Fiskars StaySharp Max, by contrast, is quiet enough that I can have a conversation while mowing. I have not had to sharpen it in the year I have used it.

While it gets my heart pumping, it's more of an aerobic exercise than one that takes muscles or may cause injury. In fact, it's so fun to use that my other half was willing to take on the task of lawn care and mowing! He has neck and back issues but found this an easy and fun way of staying fit and helping around the house.

The benefits of a reel mower are numerous - the blades get a cleaner cut than rotary (most gas) mowers, so no brown tips on your grass, they cut the clippings into much smaller pieces so you can leave the clippings without them chunking up on the lawn and looking messy (I can hardly see the clippings and they compost in very quickly), and you just get a finer look since there are more blades cutting.

Now, the differences:

StaySharp:

The StaySharp is the budget option, and is also the most like a traditional reel mower. It has a rear grass discharge which does sprinkle grass clippings on your shoes. There is a grass catcher available to purchase.

The shield covering the blades in front is good for people who might need to mow close to shrubs and don't want to catch the limbs on the front of the blades. It also prevents clippings from being thrown onto the sidewalk, flowerbeds, or buildings if you approach from the front.

Since the grass catcher is behind the mower in this case, it does not obstruct your mowing view while using it.

The downside is that this mower has less power in the gear system so may need a little more elbow grease on your part than with the other two, it does not have inset wheels for closer edging, and it does not cut as high as four inches like the other models do (it goes from 1.5 to 3.5 inches). Organic gardeners will know that 4 inches is truly an ideal length for preventing weeds and preserving water in the lawn, but 3.5 inches is still better than most mowers.

The verdict: Use this if you have a flat lawn with few weeds (so you don't need power), if you want to use a grass catcher with every mow, or if you are on a budget.

StaySharp Plus:

The Plus has a forward discharge to keep clippings away from users' feet. It does not work with a grass catcher, which is fine for most organic gardeners because it is far better to leave the clippings, and these mowers cut the clippings into tiny pieces.

The Plus has slightly larger wheels and slightly more power than the regular version, so can handle slightly more weeds or a mild slope. It cuts from 1.5" to 4".

Verdict: This is the budget option for those who don't want a grass catching bag. It has slightly better features than the regular version but does eliminate the grass catching option.

StaySharp Max (formerly the Momentum):

The Max has an inset wheel design which gives it a closer cut along the edges of your lawn, and eliminates any areas of lawn that get flattened and then don't get cut. By the time your wheels run over the grass, you have trimmed it. This gives you a better result in the end and makes mowing cleaner and easier to control.

It also has a LOT more power. While I liked using the StaySharp and found it a huge improvement over normal reel mowers, the StaySharp Max felt like a dream to run. It's downright airy! You get it going with a little push and the cutting reels turn and turn with little input after that. It does the work for you! It really feels like there is a lot of technological innovation here, between the chain drive mechanism which makes it easy to push and the way those blades keep cutting after only a quick push.

The Max has a front-discharge, so does not spray grass on your shoes. However, used with the grass-catcher bag, it can obstruct your view of where you are mowing since the bag sits in the front.

The Max is ten pounds heavier than the other two, which sounds bad but actually makes it easier to get momentum and power through tougher weeds. It cuts from 1-4", so it has the biggest range of cut heights. I used it on a slope and found it pretty easy to deal with. My home lawn is bumpy and somewhat weedy and this has no problem, except for very wiry weeds which I just cut with my hedgers or string-trimmer.

The verdict: If you can afford it, this is the mower to get. It has WAY more power to it which makes it impressively easy to push, it has more options (grass catcher, cutting heights), and the features are ones that make mowing more fun. However, if you do plan to use the grass-catcher with every mow and you have a flat lawn with no weeds, the regular StaySharp may be better because the grass-catcher sits in back and doesn't obstruct your view as you mow. Otherwise, the Max is the best mower for eco-friendly lawns, with its ease of use and eco features.

The one downside to every one of these mowers (and the old reel mowers too) is that they do not cut down tall grasses, particularly wiry ones. So you have to keep up with your lawn care and not let it get out of control. A gas mower can chew through some overgrowth, but these just knock it down if it gets really tall and won't do anything to it at all. So if you don't have super-regular habits, I'd pair any of these mowers with a string trimmer/ weed whacker which can double as an edger and be your backup in case you go away and forget to have your house-sitter mow.

I hope this helps you decide which is best for you. While the mower on this page, the StaySharp, has some fantastic features for specific situations (perfect, flat lawns where a grass catcher is needed) and is a huge improvement over Grandpa's push mower, in the average, imperfect lawn, I'd choose the Max.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been cutting my 1/2 acre lawn (19000 ft2 of actual grass) with reel mowers for 7 years now. Reel mowers make for a healthier lawn since the blades of grass are sheared off rather than bludgeoned off like with a standard gas powered rotorary mower. This results in thicker grass, fewer weeds and fewer bugs. This is why golf courses use reel mowers almost exclusively. I started with the standard Scott's 20" mower from the local hardware store. It worked OK, but it was hard to push because the blades are in contact resulting in a lot of drag even when not cutting grass. And it didn't cut very evenly with lots of little tufts of grass left uncut. The result is that I had to often cross-cut the yard if I wanted it to look good. With this big a yard, even with 20" width that was just not practical.

Next I tried 16" Brill mowers from Germany. These used a non-contact cutting system that greatly reduced the resistance, one because there was no friction with the blades since they don't contact each other but two because the blades are made of harder material and stayed sharp longer. The Brills had two problems. One there were too narrow. They did cut well in one pass, but there were just a lot of passes. And two they didn't cut tall enough. If you have very rich deep soil with frequent rain or where you can water often, then the grass can do very well when cut to the 1"-1.5" height that the Brill can cut. My yard has neither of these things.

Then Fiskar came out with the Momentum mowers (now StaySharp Max) and we got two (my wife and I mow together, which is how we manage such a large yard with push mowers, though I have done it myself on occasion, so it is possible for one person to do it all). These mowers are unique in that they throw the grass clipping forward where they were cut and recut until they were cut into very fine pieces and fall below the level of the cut grass. The Momentum has a non-contact cutting system like the Brill, but it had a much heavier reel which resulted in higher momentum in the reel (hence the original name). This allowed more energy to be stored in the reel which keeps the mower from bogging down in a spot of heavy grass or stalling on a tiny twig. Also this mower adjusted for cutting heights up to 4"! Finally I could cut my grass at the 2" - 2 1/2" it does best at. But, and sadly there is a but, I came to not like the fact that the clippings were being thrown forward. First it tended to mat down the uncut grass resulting is some unevenness in the resulting cut, and two in thick grass it could be very hard to push since you were cutting new grass and recutting previously cut grass several more times. I think that all the recutting of clippings as well as the very large size of my yard resulted in the blades of these mowers becoming dull after just two years. When they first came out Fiskar didn't make a grass catcher for this mower, though there is one now. I am sure that with a smaller yard and the use of the catcher when the grass is very tall or especially thick that the mowers would have gone more than two seasons before becoming dull.

So finally at the start of last year we bought two of these 17" StaySharp mowers. They use the same high momentum reel of the original Momentum, but these discharge the clippings to the rear. The maximum cutting height is 3 1/2" rather than 4", but truth be told I never cut at 4" with the Momentum because the clippings pushed the uncut grass down below the 4" cutting height resulting in many places not getting cut! The 3 1/2" maximum cutting height on the StaySharp should be just fine. I find the mowing effort to be much lower than the Momentum because the clippings are only being cut once and then discharged. Plus the clippings are falling on already cut grass so there is no matting down of uncut grass. The result is more visible clippings on the surface of the grass as one would expect. My solution if the clippings are too thick for my tastes is to take an electric leaf blower and just sweep the airstream over the surface of the lawn. This causes the little clumps of clippings to be broken up and *all* of the clippings magically disappear below the surface of the lawn. I can sweep in 10' - 12' wide swaths, so this doesn't take very long. But I only do this because I am fussy. The clippings for the most part dry up and then disappear below the surface in no more than a day on their own. And lastly if the trick with the leaf blower doesn't work I have a 36" manual yard sweeper that has rotating bristles that sweep the recalcitrant clippings off the lawn and into a catcher. This also fluffs up the wheel marks so I can catch them when I cross-cut if I want a perfectly manicured lawn.

Based on all of this experience, I very highly recommend the StaySharp reel mower.

One last word on reel mowers, I think that anybody without a clear physical disability or more than a 1/2 acre of grass (and really do you need to keep so much in grass? let some of it become meadow) should be cutting their lawn with a reel mower. We all need more exercise. My wife and I try to mow a 1/3 of the yard at a time (about 5000 ft2). For our sized yard and with two of us doing it only takes 20-30 minutes for each 1/3. So at a minimum we get 3 really good aerobic workouts a week. Since there is no fueling or starting, we can just come home from work, jump into our lawn clothes and grab a mower and go. So it isn't hard at all to get in a little mowing each day. In the spring when the grass "explodes" out of the ground, we often need to cut each section twice a week, so our workouts increase to 6 a week. But this is just in time to blow off the rust that has accumulated all winter and lets us get our "beach bodies" back. The best thing is that at the end of our workout we also have our yard cut. If instead we went to the gym and made a treadmill go round and round 3-4 times a week, we would still need to spend 3+ hours on the weekend guiding a hugely noisy gas mower over the yard. So with reel mowers you get the exercise we all really need more of and you don't "harsh the calm" of your neighbors. Viewed as a piece of exercise equipment, the $150 StaySharp is a very cheap investment in your health.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Not many folks with 5 acres of land are very excited to get a reel push mower...but I'll defy that! While most of my property is handled by a lawn tractor, there are areas that its more convenient to do a little pushing and be done. And this little mower handles all the needs.

Out of the box, you'll need to connect the back wheels (hard plastic) and the handle - a total of 6 bolts. You'll need an 11mm and 18mm wrench to handle that. And then you're ready to go!

This little mower is very easy to push, and as long as the front wheels (or just one of them) are spinning, you're cutting! It works especially well, and is very quiet. If your grass is longer, you're likely going to end up with grass shooting all over you, but it's so effortless to cut the grass...if you're anything like me, the grass shooting at you will be considered entertainment. As with any push mowers, if you encounter potholes or mole holes are even small sticks, the mower isn't going to grind through them, and you'll need to back up and give it another go after clearing any obstacle. For smaller yards, or people with a small city plot of "land" with a little flat area in the front and back of their house that happens to have grass on it, this machine is really all you need. It's also handy as a small area mower...

So, of course, there needed to be a comparison. I fired up the John Deere and mowed some 6-8" grass down to 4". Did the same with this push reel mower, but at about 2". The grass was a bit wet (pacific "northwet," afterall) so neither machine make a perfect-lawn-cut. But, as you can see in the uploaded picture...they both did the job well. The grass from this mower is still sitting on the lawn, but there is supposed to be a clipping catcher coming for it early this summer, which will make it a well rounded machined in addition to a well-built mower that lives up to all expectations.

I'd recommend this mower. At first it seemed a little expensive, but it's quality-built, did a great job, and lives up to the manufacturer claims (which is somewhat rare these days.)
review image review image
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My sample lots for this were review were my front yard and the evil weed ditch.

My front yard -- this year -- was slightly high and slightly damp when I mowed. This was due to some rain we got this last weekend. This Fiskars model did well cutting it. It was something of an effort to mow, but that's also true when I use my motorized push mower... so I think it's a draw.

PROS:::
-- I LOVED that it was silent. Just a pleasant whirring noise. As I tell my kids, I've got super-sensitive mom-hearing, so appreciated the quietness.
-- Easy assembly.
-- Most comfortable hand grip of any mower I've ever used.
-- The mower was fairly easy to push through my Northern Virginia grass. I would not try this on Florida St. Augustine -- which is some of the toughest grass I've ever had the displeasure to mow -- but it worked smoothly when cutting my damp grass.
-- The damp grass didn't clog the mower at all. (My grass is plump and nearly always clogs --repeatedly-- my power mowers. Even the riding mower.)
-- It was extremely easy to adjust the wheel height. Pull a lever on each side and move the wheel.
-- It actually took less time to mow the front yard than it does with my power mower. No struggling with the gas cap. No worrying about running out of gas. Pretty darn nifty.

DETRACTIONS:::
-- This mower on the middle-height setting didn't cut off tall stalks like those of dandelions and even onions. I had to go back on the lowest setting to get those.
-- The grass isn't mulched at-all so you'll have to rake afterwards if your grass is tall. (The grass and weeds look like they've been cut off by scissors.)
-- The mower did not do well on the weeds that have cropped up in the ditch this year. It's what I call cling-weed and yes, I'll have to get my mighty garbage bag at some point and pull it up by hand :(
-- Doesn't work well on hills if you have to mow from the bottom of the hill. (I've got one area around the side of my house which is elevated with a stone wall at the top. You can't get proper leverage from the bottom-side to get good mowing action.)

OTHER NOTES:::
-- This mower doesn't cut when you pull backwards.
-- I don't know how long the blades stay sharp, nor if you can have them sharpened. I could find no replacement blades offered anywhere.
-- I'm an old lady and not in particularly good shape right now, and I had no problem pushing this mower.

Overall, I liked this mower. It provided more of an upper arm workout than I remember getting from my motorized push mower, but the silence is worth the difference. (Plus, I need to get more buff)

I think you'll like it as long as you have a small or even medium sized lot and you don't let the grass get too high.

I would probably only buy the Fiskar model that has a grass catcher.
on April 5, 2013
I have owned my Fiskars push reel lawn mower for about a year now and as far as cutting is concerned it has done the job. Sometimes the grass grows too long (9 inches or higher) and the bar (the one attached to the two smaller wheels at the front end of the mower) pushes the grass flat against the ground. This will result in you have to do multiple passes where you manually try to stand up the grass to get it cut, 1 star minus for that. The other thing that really bothered me is that if you have moles, gophers, ect... or start off with a bumpy lawn; it will cause the mower to fall apart. I have had multiple screws fall out of the mower while it is in use. One of which I have not found since it was not me using the mower when it was lost. These screws were attached so tight that it bent the areas that they were put into, minus the other 2 stars for that. This was with me checking the tightness of most of the screws prior to each use. A simple pin in system could of prevented this and yet no locking system is used for most of the screws on this product.

In the beginning is was a very nice product, but over time the slightly bumpy terrain of my yard caused the thing to shake apart.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll preface this review by saying that Fiskars had some work to do to win me over. their pruner, while solidly enough built, is the least powerful, least effective I own, only good for snipping the occasional flower, not for real yard work. That said, I was a bit prejudiced against the brand, however I am always willing to give things a fair shot, and in this case I am glad that I did.

To start with, I opened the box dreading putting the thing together given that I am pretty worn out (and had been thinking that this was not the best day to do it...) but, assembly was a snap! It took less than 10 minutes to put together (and most of that time was spent tightening bolts). Everything arrived in order, no parts missing, and the manual was clear and easy to follow (although the cautions and warnings a bit amusing: "do not operate when any people or animals are nearby". Guess I will be mowing the lawn in the middle of the night ; ) Other than the silly overcautious warnings which everyone includes now, the directions were simple and straight forward; plain English with clear diagrams!! All you need in the way of tools is a socket wrench with 11 & 18 mm sockets (though I would recommend a second wrench for holding the nuts on the handle steady while you tighten the bolts.) I would guess that a competent 10 year old could assemble this in minutes (though they recommend children under 12 be kept away due to the sharp blades).

In less than 10 minutes I was out the door and mowing. It was not as much of a chore as it could have been given that my husband mowed last weekend, but I ran it over some rough patches, and places by planting beds he dare not go with the riding mower (lest he incur the wrath of she who puts hundreds of hours digging in compost... and wants those beds weed free ).

In terms of assessing the various claims which those company makes
1: yes, it is a bit easier to push than the other reel mower I have American Lawn Mower 1705-16 16-Inch Bent Reel Mower and produces a more even cut! It did, however, get stuck in a couple of divots in the lawn (OK, more pits or holes than divots) and snagged on s twig, I mean a small 1/16 " diameter dried twig. It did not take much to get it unstuck, but really...

2: true,It is not noisy, but then no push mower is. It did make some jangly noises which give me pause (did I tighten everything enough?) but I think it is the reel assembly. Nothing came apart, or went askew, even after having jammed a bit on the twig.

It is a very simple device and works as promised.

If I could i would five it a 4.5, and that is mostly because of the amount of plastic involved. In my particular circumstance that could prove advantageous (since things rust here in the tropics pretty quickly). It will likely be some time before I can asses the self-sharpening claim, but thus far it has performed better than the other reel mowers I have used and was very simple to assemble (which is why in a split decision I went with 5 stars rather than 4). It produced a more even, better looking cut than my other reel mower, and for me performance is the main thing. So far I am very impressd, and that coming from low expectations.

I will come back and revise if in the next year I find that the blades get dull rather than retain their edge, but so far it lives up to all the claims and then some.

One final caveat; this mower may thwart my original plan which was to use the mower as my gym (i.e. Do real useful work outdoors rather than using power equipment (or someone else's labor) and then going to a gym. Because it moves more easily it gives me something less of a workout than the other reel mower.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Updated to note that after close to a year of use, the blades are still sharp and the unit mechanically sound (that is, those jangly noises I heard back when were not an indicator of unsoundness, loose or faulty connections). This is pretty significant, as our winters involve a lot of rain and rapid growth of weeds and grasses. Many things degrade in this environment very quickly because of the high humidity and salt air. this mower has held up nicely, and the blades are still sharp as advertised. I continue to be impressed by the performance of this little mower, more so having seen how well it has held up in conditions which have degraded so many of my gardening tools.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There's been a real resurgence in push mowers in the last dozen years. No doubt a lot of it is due to people looking to cut their CO2 output, but I suspect a lot more is due to people discovering that for most small lawns, a push mower is faster, easier, and cheaper than any power mower. That's certainly been my experience.

Even the lightest gas powered mower weighs over 50 pounds, and self propelled mowers can approach 100lbs or more. Electric mowers involve tending 30' or 40' of power cord, constantly flipping it and rearranging it (and sometimes running over it!). A decent battery powered mower will weigh as much as a gas one, and require regular replacement of an expensive battery. But a good push mower can weigh as little as 16 lbs and be even easier to push than the lightest gas or electric mower. If your only experience with push mowers is with an old cast iron unit, or one of those $99 hardware store specials, you might be surprised just how easy a good push mower can be to use.

This Fiskars unit is the third push mower I've had in my garage. I have a Scotts 2000-20 20-Inch Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower I found, unused and unassembled at a Salvation Army store, a Brill 78371 Razorcut 38 15-Inch Reel Push Lawn Mower I've been using on and off for almost a decade, and now this unit from Fiskars. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

The Scotts was the cheapest of the bunch. It retails for under $120, and I paid only $15 for mine. It's a serviceable unit, solidly made, but getting it to cut evenly has been a problem. Adjusting the cutting bar is difficult, requiring the tightening and loosening or a pair of bolts on either side of the cutting bar. I went so far as to pay a sharpening shop $40 to set it up and sharpen the blades, and it did even worse after. I expected a traditional sharpening on a jig, but what they did instead was to spread sharpening paste on the cutting bar, something I could have done for less. (Those considering buying one of these kits might take note.)

The Brill has been an excellent performer for years, although the blades are starting to wear. It's amazingly light (18 pounds!), has hardened blades that are (says the maker) good for 7 years, and is extremely easy to push. But it's difficult to get the blades resharpened (some vendors suggest buying a new mower when the blades dull), and it bogs down in heavy grass. That's a problem with a lot of mowers designed for the European market that are sold here. In Europe and the UK people tend to plant bent grass rather than the blue, Bermuda and ryegrass varieties found here. Bentgrasses can be mowed to a much shorter height and are often rolled to made a smooth and compact surface. Lightweight mowers like my Brill often choke on the thick, longer grasses typically found on American lawns.

The Fiskars was probably the quickest to assemble of the bunch, taking only 10 minutes once I'd unpacked it and gather up the tools needed (an 8mm and an 18mm socket or end wrench.) There are just 6 bolts to install- two large ones to attach the rear wheels, and four smaller ones, with nuts, used to assemble the handle. It's heavier than the Brill (41 lbs versus 18) and about on a par with the Scotts (38 lbs). Like all Fiskars tools it's attractive and apparently well designed, with no exposed metal edges or cheap hardware. I was impressed to see that they're inserted plastic plugs in the ends of the open tubes on parts of the handle that were inserted into other tubes and would never actually be exposed in use. That's attention to detail.

After assembly I brought out all three mowers to test on my lawn. It had been about a week since I last mowed, and we're had plenty of rain, so there was a good, thick carpet of new growth. The Fiskars blasted through the grass without too much effort, easily chopping up small twigs that had fallen from my Black Locust tree. Effort was higher than with the Brill, but it never jammed up or failed to cut. The Brill pushed easily when the grass wasn't too heavy, but was easily stopped by twigs. The Scotts came in a distant third, being jammed by sticks and requiring multiple passes to get a complete cut.

The key to the Fiskars design appears to be a geared flywheel system that takes a bit more effort to start up but stores some of this energy to help when the cutting is tough. It does work; the Fiskars never bogged down in thick grass and never jammed. But it did take appreciably more effort to push than the Brill. Like the Brill, it has hardened blades, which means when they do finally dull you might have to think about getting a new mower.

Curiously, Fiskars has three different push mower models, and while they differ greatly is the listed efficiency and power, they're not far apart in price. This unit is just under $200, and is advertised as having 50% more power and being 30% easier to push that the typical push mower. The 6207, which is only $30 more, is claimed to have 75% more power and be 40% easier to push. The 6201, which lists for $50 more (but which Amazon has for $9 less!) is claimed to have fully twice the power of the average push mower, and be 60% easier to push. The only other difference is that the unit under review is a traditional rear discharge mower, which the other two have front discharge.

I wasn't able to test the other two Fiskars mowers, unfortunately, as I'm intrigued by the claims of even greater power and ease of pushing. If I was in the market for a new mower I'd want to test all three Fiskars mowers before making any decision. But judging this unit by itself, and in comparison to my other push mowers, I'd say it's a winner.

UPDATE: After a month of regular use I like this mower even more. I've changed my review from 4 to 5 stars, and the title from "one of the best mowers I've tried" to "the best."

Update 2: It's been three years since I received this mower, and I am still delighted with it. It seems to be as sharp as the day I received it, and it happily chops through small branches as it trims my lawn.
on April 19, 2012
I bought this mower to use at my cabin and it works great. I wanted a mower that I did not have to hassle with gas. The yard is small so this Fiskars mower was perfect. I bought this thinking it was like the old style reel mower (hard to push) but it is not. The blades do not touch. They are machined very close so the mower cuts like a scissors. Fiskars is a scissors company to that makes sense. This is a fine piece of equipment.
on June 3, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to say that its been a few years since I laid hands on a push reel mower. Like everyone else we move on to a more powerful machine to get the job done. When given the opportunity to take the Fiskars 6208 model out for a test drive the memories kicked in. After two months use, these are my thoughts.

It took no time to assemble this Fiskars product. All I needed were a couple of wrenches to connect the handle and wheels. The chassis comes assembled. At 41 lbs, by no means will this mower be confused with a light weight. The cutting width is 17". The blades do arrive sharp. After inspection I lubed the blades and chassis with a generic cooking spray for easy clean up and gave this mower a test drive in my backyard. Right off the bat I had to adjust the mower to the lowest setting to handle our St. Augustine grass. Adjustment is easy. Height adjustment levers are located on each side near the rear wheels.

The handle has a good ergonomic feel to it and its the right height. The blades lived up to their billing. After adjusting the height, I had no problems cutting down our tall grass. Keep in mind that this mower does not cut in reverse. This model cuts but doesn't mulch. It doesn't come with a grass catcher either. Unlike older mowers this model's mounted shield keeps the grass from discharging at the top. On a roll, I went ahead and mowed the side yards before tackling my larger front yard. I noticed its touch and go with taller weeds randomly growing in my yard. Its a given that I'll have to break out my grass trimmer for those. Now for the raking.

The company boasts an "Inertia Drive Reel" for extra cutting power. Whatever the manufacturer is tagging it, it works. I could feel and see the difference after comparing it to my neighbor's new Scott push mower. The stay sharp blades definitely held their own on my stubborn grass. Compared to my neighbor's mower, the blades were indeed sharper and ready for the task. The steel blades are first rate. Even though it doesn't mulch, the only real pings I have on this Fiskar product are the plastic parts (wheels and adjustment levers). The rear wheels are iffy at best. I'm quite sure that with continuous use they'll bite the dust long before the blades.

Fiskar tags this lawn mower with a two year warranty. I called their toll free number (866) 348-5661) for information regarding a grass catcher for this product. I have to say that the Madison, Wisconsin based company has an outstanding customer service staff on board. They were friendly and informative. According to the Fiskar customer service rep a grass catcher for this model will be available in late July of this year.

Even with my issue with the plastic parts I find myself liking this product. Its ideal for small and medium sized lawns. The Fiskars 6208 Mower is a quiet, gas free alternative that does the job. When the company finally releases the grass catcher it will be the go to push reel mower.