5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously great tool. Buy it if you're on the fence.
After searching the internet for a decent machete and going through Cold Steel's catalog, I decided to pay a trip to the local hardware store for kicks and giggles before committing to a shipping fee for something I had never even had my hands on. I saw this puppy on the tool rack in a cardboard sleeve and loved the length and look of it immediately.

It was 15$...
Published on September 14, 2011 by AntimatterGravityWellMan

2.0 out of 5 stars Soft Steel
Published 18 months ago by Joe

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously great tool. Buy it if you're on the fence., September 14, 2011
This review is from: Fiskars 7078 22-Inch Machete (Lawn & Patio)

It was 15$ where I bought it, and I gotta say I am a happy camper. It came out of the box sharp enough to start working right away. Like any good machete, it has a tiny hint of "wobble" to it in the blade for the sake of cutting brush, though it feels FAR from flimsy. Not sure what grade of steel it is, but its most certainly hardened carbon steel, so keep that in mind if that's a clincher for you. Stainless steel machetes tend to see more use in more humid regions of the world, though its by no means a rule. After sharpening it with an Accusharp it was about as close to a razor edge as you could get before risking "folding" the blade when striking harder wood.

Ergonomically, the handle is sound. Nice rubbery feel to it, even with a sweaty palm. The "pommel" of the machete is a bit annoying if you tend to hold your machete near the end of the handle. That is literally my only complaint with this machete.

Performance-wise, its not too heavy, but not as light as some "extreme" backpackers might prefer. Still, I highly recommend this tool, whether for clearing dense thorny brush in east Texas like me, or lopping through bamboo elsewhere. Get an appropriate sized sheathe to go with it (22 in) and you're set.

5/5

(UPDATE!)
Used it extensively today out in the woods, clearing a trail through it. Just want to restate how amazing this thing is. I had never tried it on thick hard wood, but heck, its a machete, right? Well yeah, but holy crap the Fiskars Machete absolutely DESTROYED a 4 inch tree in about 10 strokes. Yeah a good axe could do it in half that, but at the cost of the diminished versatility in dense brush and the massive weight increase. So again, if you're on the fence, stop. Get this machete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool, August 3, 2011
This review is from: Fiskars 7078 22-Inch Machete (Lawn & Patio)
While I have only used my Fiskars Machete on 3 occasions, I have found it to be a very useful tool. I have used it to clear out Sumac stands up to about 2" in diameter, as well as much misc brush and invasives. It has handled all of it with ease. The blade is extremely sharp and is hard enough that I have not had to resharpen it as of yet. The hardness might make sharpening more difficult but time will tell. I found the handle to be comfortable and well designed. Having only owned Army surplus machetes in the past, I really found this item to be a step up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, June 15, 2013
M. Heck (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fiskars 7078 22-Inch Machete (Lawn & Patio)
The quality of this item is surprising. The balance is extremely good. Some of the reviews stated their blades arrived dull. Mine was nice and sharp. With all of that, there is still enough weight to the blade to make chopping and hacking easy.

Con: should have come with a sheath.

2.0 out of 5 stars Soft Steel, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Fiskars 7078 22-Inch Machete (Lawn & Patio)
At the store, the handle felt comfy, but it's quite uncomfortable in use. I'm 6'2", so I have bigger than normal hands. The handle is solid though, so I just cut off the bottom portion that was digging into my palm. It was good to go. I took it out backpacking and hacked into 3" diameter cedar, and the concave edge totally deformed. The edge of the fiskars could not take it, unlike my gerber or cheapo tractor supply machetes. The steel is just too soft. If you get this, only use it for brush, which in all fairness is what a machete is designed for. I'd go with a gerber, cold steel, or ontario. The cold steel and ontario machetes at this same price point are 1055 steel, which is pretty tough. Not sure what steel the gerber is, but I've beat the tar out of it and hacked up 6" diameter oak no problem. Saw is ineffective on the gerber though fyi.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid tool, August 26, 2011
This review is from: Fiskars 7078 22-Inch Machete (Lawn & Patio)
The machete has a very good weight to it making for good cuts. Seems durable so far. My biggest complaint is how dull the blade came. It was more of a baseball bat than a machete. After sharpening it proved to be a useful tool.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor and fragile edge., December 4, 2013
This review is from: Fiskars 7078 22-Inch Machete (Lawn & Patio)
One of the thinnest and cheapest blades I have ever experienced (This is my fourth machete). Large chunks of the blade edge broke or "peeled off" after a very little use. Will not ever buy another friskars blade. It was a waste of my $16 and change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool light and sharp, July 24, 2011
This review is from: Fiskars 7078 22-Inch Machete (Lawn & Patio)
The Fiskar Machete I use to clear a lot of the low tree branches and shrubs. I have a hill in my backyard and we get some big weeds but I cut them right down. It worked great on my cactus and even in the vegetable garden when I had to clear old plants. It is light weight, razor sharp and easy to use. I highly recommend the Fiskar Machete as a great.

3.0 out of 5 stars handle shape ?, June 14, 2011
not bad for <$20
considered the gerber gator, but reviews showed it wasn't full tang (also i didn't want/need the saw).
fiskars machete looked more promising, since the second rivet is farther down the handle.
problem? handle shape is not v.comfortable for me. swing it around a few times and u'll understand why another reviewer said: "get this if you wont machete."
if local stores had one for me to see, i would have gambled w/gerber gator & customer support when handle breaks :P

-2 stars for uncomfortable handle shape.

note: mine arrived sharpened, in a cardboard sleeve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine for the price!, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Fiskars 7078 22-Inch Machete (Lawn & Patio)
I think this will be a fine item for trimming small brush and ferns close to the ground for metal detecting. That's what I got it for. It arrived quickly. It is well constructed and not to heavy. It will need sharpening which is no problem. All in all a fine machete for the money and should perform well. No problem here!

3.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable durability, still gets the job done, January 9, 2013
This review is from: Fiskars 7078 22-Inch Machete (Lawn & Patio)
Background: Been using machetes regularly in thickets/fields/hardwoods since I was 12; a total of 15 years. In all honesty, I treat my field tools like shit. I throw them, I leave them outside, I generally expect them to hold up to this extra degree of wear and tear. I prefer the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) approach to tool design for this reason.

Review: Been using this for over two years now. Being that I do most of my machete work in tight thickets, I usually prefer my shorter machetes over this. The 22" length requires a machete to have a bit more thickness to compensate for the extra blade flex. This blade is simply too flimsy. It essentially bends like a fencing sword when pushed against the ground.

This flex effect essentially forces you to have a very tight tolerance on the angle of the blade while swinging. Any blade deflection from small branches, etc, will essentially throw your blade sideways. Given a few months of use, you will eventually have a strike that bends your blade into a twist. This is easily repairable, but once it starts, its a constant job.

The hilt is a bit odd in the hand compared to most machete designs. I prefer to grip them myself anyway, so this is nothing that can not be customized. Be aware this hilt is a bit on the thick side, so any aftermarket gripping may be a bit large to your liking.

The hole in the top is key. Take a grinder to the back of the blade, on a slight angle, to open up to the hole. If you get your angle right, you're left with a hook on the top of your blade. Great for clearing out what you just cut off. Falls out with a flick of the wrist. I go one step further and sharpen the inside of the hook. Works great taking out vines in tight areas where you cant swing.

Overall, I would increase my rating to 4/5 if the blade was a bit thicker and less prone to bending. A 5/5 would need a more simple hilt, in lieu of this "cool" looking one. If you can get it on a deal, grab it. Regardless, make sure you have another one. This should be nothing more than a backup.

NOT FOR CAMPING - go with a Short-Length Gerber Gator if youre looking for a backwoods tool. This a yard tool.

Fiskars 7078 22-Inch Machete