4.0 out of 5 stars A Reasonable Substitute for a Whetstone
Published on April 4, 2008 by K. Beach

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but some flaws
This is a handy tool that really simplifies sharpening. However, it has a few flaws.

Pros:

-Very Easy

-Hand Guard

-Lifetime Guarentee

Cons:

-Sharpens at 30 degree angle. Great for an axe, but for a knife, most people prefer a 20 or even a 10.

-Leaves black dust on the edge of cutlery...
Published on February 17, 2009 by Libbo

4.0 out of 5 stars A Reasonable Substitute for a Whetstone, April 4, 2008
This review is from: Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife Sharpener (Lawn & Patio)
If one really wants to put a razor sharp edge on an axe or knife, a set of diamond whetstones is the best way to do it. This painstaking manual process requires time and proper technique. Beware: a razor sharp edge is exactly that and not to be trifled with. On the other hand, if "pretty darn sharp" is good enough...and it should be for most utility purposes...a dedicated sharpening tool like the Fiskars will get the job done quickly and with minimum risk to one's fingers. There are a number of similar products on the market. This one comes from a reputable manufacturer at a good price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars knives and axes?, September 20, 2006
This review is from: Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife Sharpener (Lawn & Patio)
eh? You seriously think I'm going to use the same thing to sharpen the Henckels 4 star knives I use to prepare family meals AND the axes I use to chop wood?

Seriously. This sharpener will reset just about any blunted knife or axe to a finely honed edge.

It does just a good a job on a fine filleting knife as it does on my favorte chopping axe - I just have to remember to clean it before I switch uses.

Now if only they made a lawnmower that could julienne vegetables....

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but some flaws, February 17, 2009
This review is from: Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife Sharpener (Lawn & Patio)

Pros:

-Very Easy

-Hand Guard

-Lifetime Guarentee

Cons:

-Leaves black dust on the edge of cutlery

-Ok heres the big one: When sharpening, you press the axe into the sharpener and pull through the wheel. However, as you pull your axe out, it slices through the plastic in front of the wheel, there for somewhat dulling the axe. And sooner or later, you get deep cuts in the plastic, which really limits the sharpener's usefulness. Major design flaw.

Overall, the sharpener is great for axes, but for knives I tend to go back to the whetstone. And then there's the design flaw...

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This! Not a new Knife!, November 7, 2006
This review is from: Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife Sharpener (Lawn & Patio)
I bought my first Fiskar sharpener from the owner of MAC knives. He told me that this was all I needed as a professional chef to keep my knives sharp and in top shape as to angle, knicks, ect.... He was right. Don't pass this up. You really do not need anything else. No kidding and just $12.00. Chef Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb sharpener for Fiskar's axe, November 1, 2010
This review is from: Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife Sharpener (Lawn & Patio)
This is a very basic but extremely well functioning axe sharpener.

To address one common complaint: Yes, it cuts the plastic to either side of the "cutting" wheel. So what? The plastic will groove over time and it will stop doing that.

When I first took my Fiskar's to it, I had recently completed chopping about 1 cord of hardwood (axe, ironwood, maple). The blade had numerous dents in its edge and was fairly beat up, though still sharp overall.

After about 20 passes (1-2 minutes) back and forth through this sharpener, the edge had no dent and appeared quite sharp. Cut very well.

This may not make the best knife sharpener or be suitable for things with a bigger wedge before the edge, but it's a great sharpener for the fiskars axe!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad, September 3, 2009
This review is from: Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife Sharpener (Lawn & Patio)
Great for axes and for a cheap knife but nearly ruined a benchmade. I got the benchmade back by buying a wusthof sharpener that brought it back to shaving sharpness. I love it for axes and other big blades that have a lot of cheap steel to chip away at but I wouldn't use this for a good knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiskars Sharpener # 7861, January 6, 2009
This review is from: Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife Sharpener (Lawn & Patio)
Handy size and safe shape. Clever design to keep clean. Used it on my axe which now slices a single piece of paper on edge. That is sharp enough for me..

4.0 out of 5 stars takes a little work, November 24, 2009
S. Schachter (Carmel Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife Sharpener (Lawn & Patio)
You use a back and forth motion to sharpen the hatchet or ax, not a pull through.

I used a very dull hatchet that's used to split kindling wood, mainly 2x4 pieces.

It takes a lot, I mean, a lot of back and forth pulls but, you know what, my little hatchet started to develop an edge and was getting sharp.

I'll get back to it when I need to split more kindling and run the hatchet through a couple of dozen more times.

The more you run your az et al through the sharpener, the more it works for you. No need to worry about shaving off too much metal from a hatchet.

I would not use this sharpened for my kitchen knives, though. But I would use it for a cheap camping or outdoor knife that would get sharp with a crude edge.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only good for Knifes, March 22, 2010
R. Youngman (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife Sharpener (Lawn & Patio)
The sharpener is only good for knifes. Although it gets 5 stars as a knife sharpener, it don't get any stars for axe sharpening. The reason is the plastic notch is too narrow for an axe blade to slide through. Too bad I purchased this for my axe :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice little sharpener, June 19, 2012
This review is from: Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife Sharpener (Lawn & Patio)
I purchased this sharpener with my Fiskars Log splitter. The maul was a little dull when I first got it. I ran it thru this sharpener 4 or 5 times and it was very sharp! would cut paper. This is a must have for anyone with an axe to grind!

Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife Sharpener