5.0 out of 5 stars Works wonders, but not like image
Published on April 7, 2009 by J. Yan

3.0 out of 5 stars it's just ok - personally I recommend a much larger mat
This mat is OK for small quilting pieces. I do not recommend this mat for fashion sewing.

Published on November 26, 2007 by Mary

5.0 out of 5 stars Works wonders, but not like image, April 7, 2009
J. Yan (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set (Kitchen)
As a beginner at quilting, this is the perfect starter kit. The rotary blade cuts fabric like butter (6 layers with ease!). Clear wide ruler makes measuring easy and the mat is double-sided for double the fun. Only thing is that the product I received looked different that the one pictured. Mat is yellow/green and the rotary cutter didn't have the same handle. Not sure it that matters to you, but I was pleasantly surprised that my supplies are just as cute as my quilt!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good set, good price., March 9, 2013
This review is from: Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set (Kitchen)
I've been strip piecing quilts for 20+ yrs, and needed a new ruler, preferably bigger than my old one. After seeing the prices they wanted for just a ruler, I started looking at kits, because I wanted some new blades, too, and my old mat was getting old, too.

This was the best price for the set with a full size mat & large ruler I found.

Pros:
* Full sized mat. Plenty big enough to cut strips, and square up blocks.
* Double sided mat. Both sides are marked with a ruled grid, so if one side gets messed up, you can just flip it. Great idea!
* Easy to read mat. This is pastel yellow on one side, and bright green on the flip side. Both are easier to read than my old gray one.
* Ruler is marked with inches in both directions, so you can square up your blocks with one ruler placement, no need to turn the ruler.
* Cutter comes with the larger 45 mm blade, so it will cut deeper piles of fabrics.
* Cutter is usable from either hand, so if you're a lefty, this is good for you.

Cons:
* Ruler is marked with very fine lines, and it's a bit tough to read because of it.
* All ruler lines are the same, so it's hard to tell the inch lines, from the quarter inch lines. Would have been better with solid lines for the inches, dashed lines for the half, and dotted lines for the quarter inches, but this is thinly dashed lines for all.
* I find this style cutter dangerous. My old cutter only exposes a single edge for cutting, but this has 3/4 of the blade exposed. You'll want to shut it, each time you put it down.
* Cutter has a slide button to open and close the safety, which I find difficult to operate. Mine is a hard push and pull, so it makes me not want to close it, and this style wants to be closed when not in use - for safety.

Overall, this is a good deal for a bundle. Separately, these things are quite pricey, so if you need all three, this is a good bundle, and if you just need 2 of the 3 pieces, it's still a pretty good deal, given the separate prices.

I'd say the cutter is the least valuable, and I'll be using just the blade, as a replacement blade for my safety cutter - that I already own. If you're a lefty, tho, this is a good deal, since I've never seen a safety left handed cutter.

The ruler is a nice big size, and having the lines going both ways is way better than my old ruler, with one way lines. Wish they were more clearly marked, but I'll get used to it, I'm sure.

The mat is great. Good improvements in color, and dual sides markings is great. Neither of my old mats had that. This is a good deal for beginners, or old hands like me, just looking to get some new stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for new quilters, October 17, 2008
This review is from: Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set (Kitchen)
As a new quilter, I needed to purchase these products to start cutting shapes for my quilt designs. The cutting mat works perfectly and the plastic ruler piece also helps for making straight cuts with the rotary tool. The rotary tool is also a lot sharper than I had initially expected - it cuts through every material the first time without any extra effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not very self healing, January 19, 2010
This review is from: Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set (Kitchen)
For as much as I paid for this, I really expected it to last a lot longer. I made *one* jeans quilt (65x80 inches in final size) and the mat was ruined part-way through making it. When cutting heavy fabrics like denim you have to press hard for the rotary cutting tool to cut all the way through, even then you have to move it back and forth a few times to get it to cut all the way through. This destroys the mat in short order. There are deep grooves and chunks missing out of it now. I think this thing would be great for very lightweight material, but no matter what you're cutting you have to be careful not to press too hard or you'll ruin the mat. It's disappointing and not worth the high cost. I hope I can find a better cutting mat out there somewhere that will stand up to heavy pressing.

Editing to add that I've been informed I need to change the blade more often to avoid damaging the mat. I guess even "self healing" has its limits.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's just ok - personally I recommend a much larger mat, November 26, 2007
Mary (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set (Kitchen)

I purchase replacement blades in a retail store when they go on sale for 40% off. The blades are kind of expensive so I recommend treating them with care. Always wipe them clean before you are done using them and put them back in the plastic container so they don't get dinged up.

You can get larger mats in retail stores. I don't recommend ordering large mats because of the oversize shipping charges.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice combo, November 7, 2013
This review is from: Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set (Kitchen)
Bought this item for a home made sewing project..... I've only taken a self development course based on sewing skirts, but through you tube and a patternmaking book, I'm able to complete larger projects..... Bought this item because I was told it's easier to cut fabric.... Well, I was a bit disappointed upon receiving my product because it looked completely different than what is advertised here. The mat I received is gray and the ruler and measurement markings look a bit different (in style).... However, it served it's purpose, but no matter how hard or what I angle I pressed, the rotary cutter seems to be sooooooo dull, that it left gaps in my cloth smt!! Lucky thing I was working with knits! Overall I like the combo of tools sold, but I don't see why on first time use the blade in the cutter should be so dull, even while ensuring it is fully extended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Buttah!, May 22, 2011
This review is from: Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set (Kitchen)
BUY. THIS. NOW. No regrets. Love this little set! The rotary cutter cuts fabric like butter - just goes through it so easily! I even cut vinyl with very little effort. Just so great! And it doesn't say it in the product description, but the mat is self-healing (that was something I was worried about).

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect starter kit, February 25, 2008
This review is from: Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set (Kitchen)
This kit is great for a starting quilter like me. The price can't be beat, and everything works great. Most other kits came with a smaller mat for the same price. Shipping was amazing, came same day it shipped! Thank you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Its compact but pretty useless in the long run !, May 3, 2011
Anetora (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set (Kitchen)
I purchased this particular rotary cutter because I beginning a new hobby and did not want to spend much on "just a rotary cutter" .. BIG MISTAKE
The fiskars blade was blunt and I had to go two - three times just to get 2 layers of fabric cut which ended up being uneven cuts with a lot of waste. I was so frustrated at the end of day 3 and decided to ask a friend who lent me her Gingher and needless to say it worked way better! As much as I would have like this quilting set to work for me I decided to return it and buy a Gingher instead. I went beyond making the 3 initial quilts I had planned and enjoy quilting :)
My advice would be to test out a variety of rotary cutters if you can before you buy one. If you are serious about your hobby I would suggest you invest in something more worthwhile.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh... it works, April 24, 2014
This review is from: Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set (Kitchen)
I've been sewing baby items for daughter, like, cloth diapers, bibs, and a shopping cart cover. I bought this to help me cut the fabric easier & faster; cutting multiple layers with a scissor hurts a lot so I figured this would make it easier.

IT WORKS. BUT. Not that well. I would have to roll it over at least twice in order to cut the fabric, which is usually cotton.

I've used it to cut a cereal box to use as a template and it worked ehh also. Still had to wroll 2 times over it.

It works, but doesn't work as well as I've seen some use on YouTube (lol). Where they just roll it over once and it cuts it perfectly. This don't work like that.

Cutting multiple layers be prepared to roll it over and over. I used it to cut 4 layers of fleece. It works but like mentioned I need to roll it over many times.

Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set