5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm
Published on February 20, 2011 by ValueSeeker

Published on June 14, 2011 by Mmm

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, February 20, 2011
ValueSeeker (Houston, TX 77079) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fiskars 58 Gallon Salsa Rain Barrel System with DiverterPro (5998) (Lawn & Patio)
Don't see why anyone would buy the older Salsa I over this model. The DiverterPro works exactly as intended - the key is to ensure your barrel is level with the diverter - the instructions make this very clear. If you're significantly off-level, then the pressure balance will get thrown off and either you won't get flow into the barrel, or the barrel will overflow. I've had neither problem, and unlike other reviewers, the hose connecting my diverter to the barrel isn't quite taut and does have a little dip to it. No problem for me, and no leaks either.

For my needs, this was the right solution, as I wanted the downspout to still function if the barrel was full. Now I can daisy chain a bunch of barrels along the side of my house, with connections near the bottom of the barrels. This will keep water levels even across all the barrels, and when they're all full, overflow will just go straight out the downspout. Will plan to use regular trash cans for these daisy-chained barrels, as these won't be in a visible spot, and I don't need the extra diverters. Will need to purchase the Fiskar's connection kit though.

For anyone interested in how to actually get water OUT of the barrels (without all the trouble of elevating the barrels 2-3 ft off the ground) - check out the 1hp submersible pump at Harbor Freight. $50 and you can connect via basic PVC fittings (and by drilling another hole near the top of the barrel) to your outlet hose. Very decent pressure and can even power a standard fan-style sprinkler, albeit at slightly less height than normal. Check out YouTube videos for more info on rain barrel pumps.

Will update with pics soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiskars Rain Barrel, August 10, 2010
LAL "LAL" (Herndon, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a very nice product. I use the rain it catches to water my MANY potted plants which saves on the water bill as well as being environmentally frugal. The rain barrel blends almost invisibly into the background (between the corner of my house and a high pine tree). I'm very pleased with the purchase.

The only difficulty I had was with the initial installation. Cutting the drain pipe with a hacksaw required the assistance of a neighbor, a ladder, and some caulking to bond the junctures of the drain pipe to the bypass system. However, the finished product is worth the effort.

If I had the room for a second one, I would definitely do so. I recommend this to potential customers.

4.0 out of 5 stars great product. Easy to install. Collect water properly after a few adjustments, January 16, 2011
I purchased the Fiskar 5998 Rain Barrel about 8 months ago on Amazon.com. The product shipped very quickly from Amazon.com - it came in a large but very light box. Installation was easier than expected. The instructions are very straight forward and the product is designed to fit various sized gutters. I had to wait a couple of weeks before it rained to test out the rain barrel. Once it began to rain, I had to run out there to make small adjustments to get the water flowing into the bucket. Once I had everything in place, the barrel collects water effortlessly. The design of the DiverterPro works well and prevents any overflow and debris (leaves) from going into the barrel. My only issue with this product is that while you can connect up a hose to the spigot, it is difficult to water my garden. The flow from the valve is very slow. Often times, I just open up the lid to fill a bucket of water instead of filling it from the bottom. Overall, I am happy with the design and functionality of the Fiskar 5998 Rain Barrel. I would recommend this product to anyone who is looking for alternative ways to save water and keep their gardens green through the harsh summers.

2.0 out of 5 stars DivertorPro is a great product, instructions need some revision, June 14, 2011
The DiverterPro for attachment to your downspout is an ingenious fabrication. You won't have the ugly PVC pipes running all over like your neighbors with this setup. The diverter works well, once you get it set up correctly. My installation was in a 3"x4" downspout, so this may not apply to the 2"x3" installations are there are separate paths in the instructions for a smaller downspout.

First, the measurements don't work as per the instructions. I have a friend who pointed this out to me who also has the same rain barrel, and I assumed that he made an error in his installation. I was wrong. The height at which you install the diverter to your downspout, ends up being about an inch too high. Because this is too high your barrel will overflow. Our first rain, about a tenth of an inch, filled the barrel half way. A inch and a half rain two days later, filled it to capacity and then it never stopped filling. I used the plug to stop water from going into the barrel. Now I need to dump/use up most of the water so that I can raise the barrel and put some patio pavers under the barrel to raise it.

When I was outside dealing with the overflow, I noticed all the water leaking out from the top of the diverter where it installs onto the downspout. The instructions should have told you that you need to caulk the joints to alleviate leakage issues.

The next issue is where they pre-drill the hole for the faucet. It's a third of the way up on the rain barrel! So you have a 58 gallon rain barrel and you can only effectively use roughly 40 gallons. I went to the hardware store and bought a new brass faucet, sealed with White 3M Marine 5200 Adhesive / Sealant 1/10 gal. cartridge installed near the bottom of the rain barrel. I'm sure that they did this so that you could get a watering can under the rain barrel, but I elected to build a pressure treated stand, giving me more pressure since it is elevated a foot and a half, I can hook up a soaker hose.

It's a great kit, very cost effective if you've shopped these, it just needs some revisions/corrections to make it work well!

UPDATE 9-1-11: A couple weeks ago the original spigot broke at the threaded portion where it enters the collection bucket. Mind you, since I installed the new spigot where they should have pre-drilled this, I wasn't even using the included plastic one. So I can't imagine that holding up to daily watering use.

I went to the hardware store and got a while plug, put some teflon tape on it and inserted it into the threaded hole. I now have a green muck line down the front of the collection barrel. The original three star review has been moved down to two.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed more info before buying, June 15, 2011
I bought 4 Fiskar rainbarrels. After we installed them, we found out that the outside should be painted to make the interior black which stops growth inside the tank. We also never noticed that the spigot to empty the barrel was up so high that it leaves about 10-15 or more gallons of water in the barrel so we had to buy a cordless siphon pump to actually drain the barrels.
Installation of the diverters was straight forward but we had to raise the diverter about 2-3 inches higher to get a good gravity feed. That caused us to reinstall each diverter after the 1st rain.
The 1" tube connected to the diverter and the rainbarrel didn't allow much water to actually go into the barrel, it splashed over the leaf sifter and down the drain. We solved most of that issue by adapting some of the other parts inside the diverter to 'trap' the water.
All in all, I wouldn't buy these barrels again without knowing how much extra work was involved. But as it is, they are working and trapping about 50-60% water with the rest still going down the drain.
I'm not happy about the results and I'm hoping this review will stop any other individuals from buying the rainbarrels without being informed of it's problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with the outcome, May 14, 2011
Please see pictures and notes.

I bought two of these and installed an additional spigot to the bottom of the barrel to take advantage of the most pressure and the ability to get all of the water out.

I do notice the back of the barrel bulge out when full, but it says in the FAQ that it will do this a little, we will see over time. I don't have the second barrel full yet to compare, but I will update when I do.

The lid is hard to get off, but I like that. The problem of seeing how much water was inside was resolved by installing a clear 5/8" ID hose with a female and male hose end, cap, and a stainless steel S hook. for $12 at my local H Depot. I used the clear 7/8"OD x 5/8' ID tubing.

I considered making a permanent level system by drilling more holes and going all the way to the bottom, but that would introduce an additional point that might leak and to find the right UV angled barbed fittings was tough. The reason I went with the way I did is that it is removable, and if I ever cared to remove them I simply unscrew them.

I uploaded the pictures to show what I mean. The plastic spigot that comes with the barrel rotates 360 degrees and I rotated it upwards and connected my clear hose, I drilled a hole at the top of the Male cap and inserted a small screen to prevent bugs from getting in. (We have wasps here like crazy) I took an orange plastic foam dart from my grand kids toy gun, (they sell them for a few dollars for 10) and cut one about 3/4" and inserted it into the clear tube. With my clear hose connected to the plastic spigot pointing upwards, I hooked the stainless S hook to the top hose clamp and there is a hole already drilled into the top edge of the barrel, where I inserted the other end of the S hook. Open the spigot and you have a visible level indicator.

I bought the connector kit and I considered connecting them at the bottom so I only needed one spigot on one of the barrels,(it equalizes the water across the two barrels when you do this) as the serious rain barrels do, but if there was ever a leak, it would drain all the barrels, with the method of connecting the barrels at the top like Fiskars does, one barrel could leak all the way out and the other barrel will remain in tact. That was my deciding point as these are for my garden but also as an emergency water source.

I also like the diverter pro, but the screen holes are a bit larger than I like and I cut a 4" x 5" piece of Nylon screen, like in your windows, and laid it on top of the existing screen and tie wrapped it to the original screen through the holes at the top of the V screen in the diverter. This secures it to the top and leaves the rest of the nylon screen to hang over the original one keeping the smallest of debris out of the barrels.

Hope this helps, I would recommend these barrels to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faucet broke after 4 months, customer service does not respond, June 9, 2011
The faucet is made from plastic and broke off at the thread after only a few months of use. I contacted their "customer service", but cannot get them to reply.
Also, the lid is quite flimsy and does not fit well.
I would never buy this product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you would expect, July 2, 2011
I placed the order for two of these at the beginning of the week, and had mine delivered to me free with Amazon Prime. I just finished installing mine and the only reason I have given it a 4 star instead of a five star is because it hasn't rained here yet today; but with this being Florida in the summer all you have to do is wait a few hours.

The packaging that it comes in is two generic Amazon boxes taped together. If you're looking for solid, sturdy boxes with intricate packaging, you'll be disappointed. If however you are looking for your barrel to arrive at your doorstep, you'll be quite happy. The DiverterPro and all equipment are packaged in a separate carton which can be found inside of the barrel. No mess. No fuss.

I would recommend that you purchase 2 bags of paver base and a 20" x 20" patio block to form a solid base to put the barrel on and support the 464 lbs. (assuming a pint is still a pound and there are 8 pints in a gallon: 8 x 58 = 464). You can easily get these at your big box DIY stores. I would also recommend looking at the customer pictures and performing the water level hack and adding a drain further down, close to the bottom of the barrel. You will also need some caulk for your downspout Assuming that you have all of the tools necessary for installation ( pliers, screwdriver, pencil, saw to cut your downspout, level, tape measure, and 1" paddle bit for a drill), the aforementioned DIY trip should cost you between $20 - $50 depending on how crazy you want to get.

The barrel itself seems thin, but in reality is thick and sturdy enough to get the job done. The inside is pre-painted black to inhibit growth, but I noticed a few spots where light shown through some. If it's a problem 6 months from now, I'll plan on taking a can of spray paint to it.

Installation is simple enough. The spigot get hand tightened into the pre-plumbed hole. Note the words "hand tightened". I find that it if you wrap the threads on the spigot with Teflon tape, that helps form a great seal and with my test fill I had no leaks. Position the barrel no more than 36" from your downspout and drill a hole on the side of the barrel to attach the hose. I find that if you use your level to mark the cut on the downspout using the top of the barrel (without the lid on it) and then go either 2.25" or 3.5" up depending on the size of your gutter, you get a very good place to install the DiverterPro. Make sure you caulk the top and bottom to ensure a good seal and make sure that the hose feeding the barrel is pretty level.

Figure about 90 - 120 minutes to install everything including drilling a second spigot, installing the water level hack, and putting the paver base down.

Edited 7/7: I finally received enough rain to make it down the gutter today and the whole thing works great. I've gotten about a half an inch of rain and it's filled my first barrel halfway. Changed from 4 stars to 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional but flimsy, April 26, 2011
Rob (New York) - See all my reviews
This is a no-frills functional rain barrel. The plastic is quite thin and flimsy, but I suppose it need not be built like a tank. One thing you'll notice is that the spigot is considerably above the bottom of the barrel. From a functional standpoint, this allows one to get a watering can or other vessel under the tap to get water ... however, what is does is leave about a foot of water in the bottom which is unobtainable unless you open the top, jump in and scoop it out. A better design would be a sloping bottom that terminated just under the tap, thereby exerting the most water pressure on the tap with no stagnant bottom water to stay there. Sure there would be a big air space at the bottom of the barrel. 3 stars is for the kind of cheapo construction quality and tap design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond my expectations!, March 19, 2011
This is a first for me (reviewing a product) but after installing the Fiskars Salsa 2 I was impressed with how effective it really was at collecting rainwater with very little effort. I think it may be the DiverterPro that this unit came with that made it so successful. I was drawn to the design because there was no need for an overflow, the diverter filled the barrel and then the remainder continues down the spout un-interupted. At first, I was skeptical of the small hose leading to the barrel thinking it would take several rains to fill 58 gallons, but we had a moderate rain the night that I installed it and the next morning I was thrilled to see 3/4 of the barrel full! The installation is simple, and with a little silicone on the top and bottom connections of the diverter to the downspout, it was a water tight seal. Make sure the hose is straight and level and your good to go!