Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Up to 50% Off Select Books Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on PlasmaCar

on January 1, 2009
Excellent read. Finally, a book that, in user friendly terms, allowed me to break the no pain, no gain, workout ethic instilled in me as a young boy playing competetive sports. Thank you Mark Allen. Brant Secunda's simple exercises for relieving stress and reconnecting with our surroundings have been greatly appreciated and easily shared with my patients. Read this book, and more importantly, read this book with your kids.
on December 28, 2008
I appreciate the focus on physical health and fitness, in practical and achievable exercises. As a non-athelete, I was leary of advice from a professional. However, the lessons are well researched and grounded for all of us.
The spiritual health that Brant Secunda and Mark Allen is telling us about is an invitation to live fully, with concrete examples of how we can get healthy and stay healthy.
I found it very helpful and will come back to it again and again.
Aleana Waite
on August 26, 2009
These two - along with Steven Covey's inspiring introduction - really bring it together. This book summarizes in a simple direct way, their years of study and volumes of sweat.
Some people might wonder what a soul-oriented shaman and a health-oriented triathlete would have to say to each other - or to the rest of us. In this book, the two have a playful and interactive dialog that really brings home how these two aspects are really two sides of the same coin. They show how intention to live fully alive is based in the balance of sould and body.
I've personally experienced the body-mind connection they talk about and it's true and easy to enjoy. I've heard of and known about the two authors for years. I had the good fortune to get a small hands-on taste of their teachings more than a decade ago through a chance meeting on an airplane. Since that time, the seeds they planted sprouted in me and helped encourage me to increase my own fitness on a spiritual as well as physical level. In the last five years, I've finished more than ten triathlons with as many medals. Also during that time, I've focused my intention and purpose through meditation and yoga. Together, these are a great and powerful combination.
This book is helping me fine-tune my work so my life can be even more effective and enjoyable. I'm really enjoying it, knowing it's true and now having more helpful information along with simple steps to take. Like the book says, balancing the powers of love, intuition, physical power and intelligence brings completeness and wholeness. I'm glad they've brought all of these together in one place for an integrated, holistic view.
on January 24, 2009
I LOVE this book and the personal stories from Brant Secunda's and Mark Allen's lives. Here is a blueprint for holistic living, for finding balance in body and soul. It provides many practical exercises for remembering every day our connection to all of creation and guidance to reach our goals (fitness and worldly). It teaches us to live "in balance" ... oh, how the world needs this information! And, as a person who spends way too many hours in front of a computer, it is a guide to living a healthy life and incorporating physical fitness that is not overwhelming. Using these elements, even couch potatotes can transform!

Fit Soul, Fit Body: 9 Keys to a Healthier, Happier You
on December 27, 2008
Wow! I started reading this book (Fit Soul, Fit Body) and got really excited about the picture of complete health described in the first chapters. How do I sign up for this life. I want to be fit and energized and happy. I need tools for dealing with the stress in my life. Authors Brant Secunda and Mark Allen have broken their program down into In 9 simple keys. With the help of this book I might just achieve what I have wanted but didn't know how to get-a healthier and happier life. This is about more than physical fitness, this is whole life fitness. I'm a convert.
VINE VOICEon March 26, 2011
First, let me say that the title of this book is right on: without having a "fit soul," you're never going to have what you need in life, whether it is a "fit body" or something else.

The content of this book is explained in this statement: "We want to give you a different model of health and fitness, one that addresses not only your body, but also the human being that is housed inside."

What I like about this book (besides the content - which is great) is the progression of the book. First, you work on your soul, then your body. (I've read other books where they tell you to run out and kill yourself physically and the "is this right for you" section is nowhere to be found.)

The fact that men wrote this book is what makes it work. Woman writers (and I am one of them) have a tendency to be too "flowery" in making a point. (I am a "straight-to-the-point kind of female writer.) These authors each bring his unique strength to the material: a commingling of encouragement and warmth among facts.

Some key points in the book that really called to me:

==>Six Types of Stress (page 31). Who knew there were so many; yet there are. From emotional to physical to dietary, these all fuel the battle between what your soul craves (bad pun?) and body needs. Stress management (other than obesity) is one of the major problems we face in the world today.

==>Evict Anger (page 62). As someone who is holding a lot of anger, I 100% agree that television (as the most obvious form of media) pushes us into anger. As mentioned, the "lose 50 pounds now" advertisement is just a road to failure for us, non-paid, infomercial humans. Weight loss advertising of any type is what makes the world fat: we have no goals and expect miracles. So when we fail (as we do), we turn the anger on ourselves, attacking our own soul.

==>Mother Earth's Love (page 74). As a cross-country running in high school, I truly understand this concept. Running in peace - especially along the beach in Southern California where I grew up - was the epitome of peace. You could feel your core connecting as you feet pounded in the sand and the surf was on your face. The exercise was just an afterthought, making it non-exercise.

==>Exercising Your Soul (page 100). This is the only time I have heard an exercise expert push less strenuous activity, moving towards exercise the feeds your soul while helping your body. A simple walk can have a tremendous effect. This, for me, would be the starting point to begin joining my soul/body. As my soul grows stronger, I can then help my body to grow stronger. It's a win-win.

==>Caveman Genetics (page 165). The list at the top of the page is straightforward and makes us look like idiots (apologizes to those who are offended by that term) when it comes to food. What selfish hoarders we have become - at the hands of a world (once again) that dangles foods in front of us that we do not need. These six items that affect are metabolism is what is wrong with our diet. Too much of this and the wrong type of that steers us away from the balance our body needs.

Please note that the reason I don't mention a lot here about the food plan is that - which the information is right on target - I am quite familiar with food due to management of my Type II diabetes. This whole section is great - and it should not be overlooked by anyone who does need to set some goals when it comes to their eating.

I could go on about all the good advice this book offers. I like that fact that no matter what page I turn too, there is always something new to read and from which I can learn. If you find yourself struggling with your physical body, this opens your soul to accept who you are and welcoming what you can be.
on December 30, 2008
This book is truly a guide to holistic living. The words of Brant Secunda and Mark Allen teach us how to tune into our inner wisdom, both physically and spiritually, and how to live in balance within ourselves and in relationship to the Earth Mother and all of life.
on September 8, 2009
This book contains the main issues related to training, a healty diet and the major factors influencing bodily and mental balance.

Whether you already are pretty fit or if you are a novice or attempting to return to fitness after a demanding divorce (Like me, I havent trained intensly in over 10 years because of loads of work, kids and a divorce with all its consequences) or other severe happenings in your life, this book is built like a simple menu. Select what you need and start the good work.

As for me I had most of this in place after 12 months progressive training, but I had great use of the framework. It is valuable and this book I will definitely read many times.
on January 6, 2009
This book is an amazing book that will show you how to combine a fit body with a fit soul in order to get the most out of your life!
on July 13, 2012
If you wonder what you're missing to take you to that next level, read this. It's exactly what you need.

While I don't necessarily share the spiritual views contained in this book (like thanking stones), it is easy enough to adapt to my on worldview, mindset and spiritual beliefs. If you are secure in your own, you will find this book a wealth of of wisdom for your triathlon career.