4.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, sizing could be tricky
I bought my first pair of FitFlops in store at Macy's. Because FitFlops don't come in half-sizes, I tried on both 7s and 8s in the different styles. I'm usually a 7.5, but in FitFlops, I'm an 8.

Published on April 14, 2009 by M. Diccicco

Published on June 14, 2008 by M. Hardee

1.0 out of 5 stars Kudos to the ad campaign, but sadly these do not fit all feet!, June 14, 2008
The advertising department for these shoes should be given kudos - these FitFlops sound miraculous! But reality says otherwise...these shoes have numerous design flaws. First, if you have slightly higher than normal arches, these flops will not fit your foot correctly. The reason for this is that the T-strap across the arch is made of a non-stretchy, almost grosgrain ribbon-type of heavy, woven material, and does NOT stretch to conform to higher-arched feet. Because of this, my feet kept shifting backwards in the shoe and I had trouble keeping the shoe on my foot, much less able to walk normally in them. Plus, if your feet even slightly over- or under-pronate, your feet will shift to the inside (or outside) of the shoe and you will find yourself walking on the edge of the shoe - I was constantly trying to shift my foot back to center. The strap does nothing to hold the foot in correctly - the shoe needs more support to hold to and conform with the foot. Further, the leather strap between the toes is either shoddily made or poorly designed - the edge of the leather is rough and rubbed blisters on my second toes within the first five minutes. While the shoes are very cushiony and I can see where they would help in burning calories, I spent the entire 1-mile walk stopping to shift my foot back into the shoe in its correct position, tugging on the T-strap to the correct position on the top of my arch, or putting bandaids on my new blisters. It's my opinion that exercise shoes and shoes touted as "comfortable" should not require a breaking-in period of any sort. I recommend making sure the company you buy from has a good return policy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very comfy shoe, don't know about the toning claims, June 12, 2008
These are extremely comfortable flip flops. I normally wear MBT sneakers, but with the warmer weather I wanted a pair of sandals that would give me a workout while I walked. I have not felt any difference since wearing these. When I first wore my MBT trainers, I couldn't sit down at the end of an 8 hour work day, my backside was so sore. I guess I expected the same result from these. I also have a knock off version of the MBT trainers that I bought from AVON of all places. I now sell these because people kept asking me about them. They are only $39.00 and are by Curves. Both of those shoes did way more than the fit flops. If you are looking for toning, I would put your money towards MBT's or Curves. They both offer sandal versions. If you are looking for a really comfortable pair of flip flops that improve your posture a little, then these are the shoes for you. PS - If you are a half size, order a size down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable but overrated, June 30, 2008
Vickie (Washington) - See all my reviews
I wear an 8 and first bought a 7 per other people's suggestions. They were too small so I exchanged them for an 8. They are very comfortable, however, I have a narrow foot and they don't appear to hold my foot in tight enough. It feels like this will affect the ability to get a workout with them as well. I learned my lesson. Some things just need to be tried on in person.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, sizing could be tricky, April 14, 2009
This review is from: FitFlop Women's Walkstar Classic Thong Sandal (Apparel)

The FitFlop website does explain that especially for people with high arches or wide feet they recommend going up to the next full size, while people with narrow feet or low arches should go down from what they usually wear. It would be helpful if the product description included that information, since it does make a huge difference in how the shoe will fit. Maybe the people who've had problems with the size would be happier with the product if they knew this before they ordered.

I love the pair I bought, despite the price. Amazon's prices, particularly if you can get a size/color that's on sale, are much much better. (As I'm writing, a pair of these in black is only $30, where the same pair at Macy's was $50.) When I first wore mine, I didn't notice any difference in how it felt to walk around. And I still don't really notice when I'm wearing them, they just feel very supportive and comfortable. Going to bed at night though, my legs were/are much more tired than days when I don't wear them, and I have noticed that my pants are starting to be a bit looser in the hips and rear.

I highly recommend FitFlops; I gave them 4 stars because of the lack of half sizes. I would give 4.5 stars, if I could. I would also advise people considering purchasing FitFlops to find a store near them (Macy's carries them) and try on a pair or two before making their purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kudos to ad campaign, but sadly this shoe doesn't fit all feet!, June 14, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comfortable shoe I own., May 11, 2008
I have been suffering with heel pain and no shoe was comfortable until I got these. No more limping around! I hope you will try these shoes if you have plantar fasciitis. It is pure heaven to be able to walk again pain free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best flip flops ever!, April 17, 2009
This review is from: FitFlop Women's Walkstar Classic Thong Sandal (Apparel)
I was looking for a flip flop that would provide some support for my feet and back since I have frequent back problems. I'm an extremely thrifty shopper, so I was very hesitant to spend so much money on a sandal. The money was DEFINITELY worth it! While I don't know whether or not these actually have toned my legs, they have certainly saved my back and provided much comfort for my feet. I nearly wore out my black pair last year and just received a red pair for Easter. I'm so happy the weather is getting nicer, as I will wear them everyday (even in the house when I'm cooking so the hard floor doesn't make my back ache).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitflops Rule!, May 21, 2009
Terry Sunday (El Paso, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: FitFlop Women's Walkstar Classic Thong Sandal (Apparel)
They're definitely expensive for a rubber sandal. They have a slick marketing campaign that claims they'll tone your muscles as you walk, and a few wearers say they even reduce lower back pain. While some benefits apparently have been proven by laboratory tests, the prudent consumer will take these claims with a healthy dose of skepticism--"Your mileage may vary." They may not be styled to everyone's liking. Most women can probably find a style and color to please them, but men are limited to just one style. But all other considerations aside, Fitflops are worth buying for one simple reason--they are unbelievably comfortable. You can wear them for hours and not even be aware that you have them on. They're "better than walking barefoot."

If you read the other reviews, you'll find a lot of conflicting information about sizing, fit, quality, durability, etc. Some reviewers say to size up; others say size down. Some say they notice a muscle toning effect; others say they don't. Some say Fitflops are well made and durable; others say they started falling apart immediately. All I can do is offer the following personal observations: Fitflops seem to run slightly large, but not exceptionally so. If you're a half-size, I recommend sizing down. My wife normally wears a 6.5, but her size 6 Walkstar fits her perfectly. A slightly larger fit is better than slightly smaller, since your heel must fit into a shallow "pocket" in the sole without extending off the back. They seem to be very well made, although I do mildly question the long-term durability of the very thin toe thong. The straps, sole and footbed all seem to be made of high-quality materials, and are very well put together. Based on a his-and-hers sample of two pairs, they have no manufacturing defects. All in all, they seem to be of extremely high quality.

If you're looking for a highly distinctive, very lightweight, supremely comfortable and (possibly) physically beneficial sandal, and don't mind paying a fairly steep price, I highly recommend that you give a pair of Fitflops a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitflop, May 27, 2008
shoes arrived very quickly and they are great. The fit well, feel good and can take dogs on longer walks without back pain. Now if they would make a shoe this fun for winter months it would be even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lov'in my FitFlops, July 20, 2008
From comfort to style I love my FitFlops! They are the first shoes to go on my feet in the morning. They must be working my legs and other muscles because depending on how far I walk in them, I can feel soreness in muscles I haven't been using lately. Great shoes to wear everyday. Will be buying more in different colors. With the bad reputation flip-flops have been getting in the news, these FitFlops don't cause soreness between the toes and I am not gripping them to hold them on. I highly recommend them. I wear a size 9 and the size 8 FitFlops fit me perfectly.