Fitbit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker, Charcoal
Color: CharcoalChange
Price:$48.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

2,037 of 2,085 people found the following review helpful
on December 7, 2012
(Updated Oct 8 2013, lost Zip; vs iPhone 5s)
(Updated Mar 7th 2013)

My life is 8+ hours on a desk every workday. I got a treadmill 6 months ago but find myself often with excuses not to stand on it but rather in front of the computer in my den most of the nights. I crossed shopped the Fitbit one and decided to buy a pair of this Fitbit Zip for me and wify two weeks ago. I got to say, this idea works wonders. Nothing motivates me better than keeping a little score of myself. Now I know I walk 4k~5k a day and I spend ~30 minutes everyday at home to walk that extra couple miles to get my 10k steps. Already lost 2 lbs. My wife hits almost 12k a day and I don't know if I'm able to catch her soon.

Let me tell you why the Zip is perfect, rather than a pedometer, or the better Fitbit One model:

1. It IS a pedometer that is zero-maintenance! That is the single most important feature. It has no buttons and requires nothing from you other than keeping it on yourself. It auto-resets to zero at midnight and constantly syncs data online. Old school pedometers need to be reset and recorded manually, enough for lazy people like me to stay away.

2. It syncs with my iPhone 4s using the low-power Bluetooth 4.0 (by the way a very new, high-tech mode) about every 40 minutes or every time when I fire up the Fitbit app. Again nothing is needed from me. This single handedly beats all the Nike band, Jawbone Up or the old Fitbit where you need to plug in something to sync. One thing to note: the iPhone Fitbit app does not sync to the Fitbit Zip in the background by default, just remember to go into its settings and turn it on. When on, the app doesn't need to be in the front. You don't even see the Fitbit in the Bluetooth device list. Everything just works.

3. No charging cable. This is the key feature that makes me proud of my decision away from the Fitbit One. It's just one less hassle to deal with, one less routine to remember to do. Being lazy as I am, I will probably forget to charge the Fitbit One's rechargeable batteries every once in a while and grow excuse not to exercise. Again the CR2025 coin battery for the Zip lasts several months (not tested yet for obvious reasons but it's still full after 2 weeks on mine) that's basically forever in today's tech gadget language. These batteries are $2 for a 5 pack on Amazon so cost isn't an issue.

So all in all, Fitbit Zip is a glorified pedometer but one that can be clipped on and forgotten without any hassle of clicking, charging or syncing. It's truly changed my lifestyle as a lazy person. Highly recommended.

Oh by the way, I don't understand the negative reviews on the battery door: I opened and installed the battery on two Fitbit Zips within 3 minutes, using the provided tool (really a plastic quarter). No problem whatsoever. Could it be a bad batch of devices those people got?

March 7, 2013, update on battery life: it's been exactly 4 months since beginning of December and one of our Fitbits shows the "Low Battery" sign today with a notification on the iphone as well. I looked up Fitbit's website and this means it has 25% battery life left. A flashing battery sign will mean changing it immediately and I'll wait till then to do it. This is after average use of 12k steps a day.

Oct 8, 2013. We lost one of the Fitbit Zips after wearing it everyday for 10 months. Still worth it for the price imo but too easy to lose might be the biggest complaint I have against the Zip.

Meanwhile, we also upgraded our phones to iPhone 5s, which has the M7 motion coprocessor. It's basically a free Fitbit inside your iPhone: it keeps tracking and stores your steps in the past 7 days, period. There is no on/off button for this function and it has negligible battery drain - sounds very good on paper. There are already several apps that can tap into M7's memory and display the step count for me. But I'd like to comment that the iPhone 5s seems to underestimate my steps. I wear my iPhone in a belt clip holster all day, plus my Fitbit Zip in my pant pocket. The iPhone would show 8,000 steps while Fitbit shows 12,000, or only 3,000 steps while Fitbit 5,000. I did a quick comparison by walking while holding both (not recommended, safety first!) and it seems that the Fitbit is the accurate one and iPhone's M7 processor missed lots of steps going up and down on the staircase. I'll be keeping my Fitbit Zip.
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
2,330 of 2,434 people found the following review helpful
on November 5, 2012
I remember the carefree days of the Tamogotchi, where a tiny LCD face told me about personal responsibility, and more importantly, the tragedy of neglect. Oh no, my tiny LCD creature is sickly, for I have forgotten to eliminate its foul, digital waste! Oh no, I have starved yet another ducklike beast near to death due to my incompetence as a plastic bauble owner.

The Fitbit Zip has many Tamogotchi-like qualities, with one major difference: when its simplified emoticon face shows disgust at you, it is because you have failed yourself.

Many a lazy Sunday have I woken up from a pleasing, decadent afternoon nap, to see the little guy judging me from his silicon throne: ":P" Oh god, I thought. I could have been wandering aimlessly around my house, probably between my couch and fridge.

And yet, post-workout, he feeds me his genuine, electronic glee at my activity: ":D" YES. Finally. The callous but potent validation that keeps me motivated to continue plodding through my otherwise dreary life.

Because I clip him to my bra strap, he is literally a demon that sits on my shoulder. One time, furious at his intercession in my otherwise sedentary lifestyle, I yelled, "Are you happy now, you little a**hole?" My boyfriend thought I was referring to him, and we had a fight. (-1 star.)

But seriously.
+ Good motivator, great online support.
+ I haven't had the battery case problems reported elsewhere.
+ Convenient, and easy to remember to carry around.
- Cat thinks it is a toy, sometimes steals it.
- Registers steps accurately, but an hour of Zumba is disappointingly low compared to an hour of walking.
- May cause internal strife at home.
4343 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,098 of 1,169 people found the following review helpful
on April 24, 2013
DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT WORK FOR FITBIT, NOR IS THIS A PAID REVIEW.

I am employed by a major US Cell Phone carrier (Desk Job) and the FitBit Zip made our list as "Accessory of the Month" in February. I had wanted one since August, so I finally picked one up. Now my hopes were not all that high, I have used pedometers before (they usually vanish into the nine hells of the laundry room) and to be honest don't do much to inspire me and usually make me self conscious because you can HEAR them chime when you move.

No such Issue, I clip it on my bra with the display facing in, and it doesn't even disrupt the line of my clothes. Vanity satisfied, the price tag had me careful not to wash it.

I love this thing so much FitBit SHOULD Hire me.

Pros: Size, color selection, the mobile App and website.

FitBit has made their little corner of the market by making it social, a way to be exercise buddies with pals in the Military no matter how far apart we are. Your account with FitBit can be connected to your FaceBook account, HUGE Plus.

When you use the App you can track your calories (Just like MyFitness Pal) and Track your water (food diary). BUT when you get close to your CUSTOMIZED goals, the App will send you an Alert. "Almost there, 200 steps to go!" You can earn badges, and if you are at all competitive its a great asset when you don't have an exercise buddy.

They also send you a weekly e-mail, summarizing your highs and lows and average caloric intake. (Sold Yet?) If you are on a weight-loss program or working with a Trainer of Physician these updates can be forwarded straight to them. Diabetic? Talk to your doctor about it, walking encourages circulation, gotta fight nerve damage!

FitBit has a great family of products, take a look at the Aria Scale (sends your weight wirelessly to the fitbit site) keeps you honest. Sleep Monitors (for our friends with apnea) they all work together in a very cohesive fashion.

I'm converted.

Cons: I want a Barcode Scanner.

This little gem has taken me from less than 1000 steps a day to 5500 daily in less than 3 months. Everyone should have one, I should know, I just talked my boss into it to help her shed baby weight, also got our work Wellness Center to host a contest to win one. I hope that this is helpful!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 29, 2014
For the actual fitbit, I have used it everyday and like it. However, the case for it is poorly designed. The metal clip inside the rubber slowly came out of the casing, after the tip of the clip fell off. The battery died after 6 weeks, instead of 4-6 months as fitbit suggested.
So now, I'm in the position of wanting to continue the good health habits I have with my fitbit but trying to deal with carrying it around with no way to secure it to me. Disappointed.
Hi Abigail,

We're sorry to see that your case is damaged. Please reach out to us at http://contact.fitbit.com or by calling (877) 623-4997 between the hours of 4am-8pm PST M-F and 6am-5pm PST on weekends so we can get you back on track.

We hope to hear from you soon.
on July 2, 2013
My husband and I purchased the two pack in January 2013. It was love and friendly competition until April. We linked our profiles and competed for the most steps thus motivating each other while he traveled.
May 2013 the first one stopped. Battery tester indicated the battery was still very good but the Zip would not cut on. We went through the FAQ steps online for resetting the device with no luck. Contacted customer support which you must do from your profile online. After several messages back and forth another Zip was sent to us. June 2013 the other Zip died. But the second one went through a longer death with moments of awake and death with losing steps between. Contacted support again and another is on the way. Their customer service is different than usual but it ROCKS!

Mid June I purchased a Fitbit One (gave working Zip to husband while waiting for replacement) and so far I have to say it is worth the extra money. The One recharges via USB while the Zip takes $6 batteries about every six months. The One also tracks stairs (floors) & sleep, although the sleep tracking is nothing to write home about. As for the "floor" tracking; I walk the hilly neighborhood to the pool and back daily. I am getting "floor" credit for those big hills and the bigger the hill the more credit. I'm finding that motivating to make the walk vs easy drive. Another motivation in the One vs the Zip is that flower you see in images; the longer you stay active the taller the flower gets. Sit down for too long and that flower will shorten. The screen on the One also lights up so it is visible in low light situations. For additional motivation you can set messages to appear on the One.

So if you want something to motivate you to start walking more but may not want to stick it out for long go for the Zip. If you want even more feedback and motivation spend the $40 more and get the One. No matter what you choose try to link profiles with friends/family - you can taunt and cheer them from your profile to theirs for even more motivation. Good luck and get busy earning those badges!

edit on 7/8/13
Oh, Sleep tracking. I actually prefered sleep tracking on the Zip more than the One. Here's why; if you leave the Zip on while sleeping (just leave it on the waistband of your PJs) you get a graph on your online dashboard of all your movement. It even registered my nerve pain with huge spikes, my steps to the med cabinet, and then I could see the pain meds kick in with no movement till morning. Sleep tracking with the One is putting it in that wristband and holding down the button until a timer appears. You do the same in the AM to stop the timer. It then measures your movement in yet another graph.

I'm giving my One the full six months I gave the Zip and I'll leave a review for it when that time arrives.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 26, 2014
My girlfriend got this for me for Christmas. I had it for one day before I lost it. It fell out of its stupid rubber clip case that was attached to my belt, probably by rubbing up against something. Searched everywhere for it. No more Fitbit Zip.
Hi Scott,

We're sorry to hear about your lost Zip! These tips may help you find it: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/I-lost-my-Fitbit-tracker.

If you're unable to locate it, please reach out to us at http://contact.fitbit.com. We'll see what we can do for you.

Best wishes,
on October 17, 2014
Great tracker and motivation tool. However, this is not a very robust product. The battery door is not designed well. The clips break and Fitbit has no way to sell replacement doors. Contacting customer service redirects to a FAQ blog, which does not address broken part replacement. Batteries only last 3-4 months. The pocket clip became worn in about 8 months. My tracker is now held together with super glue. With poor support, I will look elsewhere for a replacement tracker when I can no longer glue the battery in.
Hello,
We're sorry to see the physical damage to your Zip. We don't feel you received an acceptable level of support from our team, and we're like to take a second look. Please reply to this post with your case number so that we may do so. We very much look forward to hearing back from you so that we make get you up and running again.

Best,
on November 2, 2014
I really love fitbit. I've been tracking steps with their devices since 2011 and this is my fifth fitbit. I use the web site and the app almost daily.

I was really excited because charging every week is a pain and the clip on the original, ultra and one would break and need to be replaced by fitbit's really friendly customer service. Paying $50 instead of $100 was also attractive. So the design and price of the zip seemed to be everything I needed.

However, there are a few problems that really kill the zip for me and make me never recommend it. First, the battery usage is not as advertized. I bought this fit in April, 2014 and by the end of October, I was on my 3rd battery. So rather than lasting six months, I'm getting about two months. Second, replacing the battery is hard. The zip comes with a little plastic tool to open the back. But if you try to use anything else like a coin, butter knife, etc the cheap plastic tears and warps so you can't open it any longer.

If you can keep this tiny piece of plastic, then this won't be a problem for you. But I lost it soon after opening and now I can't replace the battery. Rather frustrating.
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Brian,
We appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting and loyalty to our devices. We'd be happy to check our inventory to see if we have extra battery door tools available for you. Additionally, we'd also be happy to check in on the hardware of your device to see if there's a battery issue (2 months does seem a bit short for a battery). The best way of initiate this process would be to send us an email at contact.fitbit.com. In your email, please also include a link to this Amazon review, so that it reaches the appropriate party. We very much look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
on April 29, 2013
I am 70, retired and slightly overweight. The fitbit was a christmas present and after 4 months the online support group of other fitbit users, friendly competition and shared enthusiasm, I have walked 1000 miles, lost 40 pounds and look forward to walking every day.
on August 12, 2013
Purchased this and had to replace the battery provided within 2 weeks because device was not turning on. Device worked for another 2 weeks and a day and stopped working again but battery replacement failed to fix the issue. Be careful with the Fitbit. If you get one - use it immediately to find out if it is defective or not.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...