3,733 Reviews
 (2,520)

1,359 of 1,382 people found the following review helpful
(Updated Oct 8 2013, lost Zip; vs iPhone 5s)
(Updated Mar 7th 2013)

Published 20 months ago by Nanotubeman

3.0 out of 5 stars Zip vs One & Fitbit customer service
My husband and I purchased the two pack in January 2013. It was love and friendly competition until April. We linked our profiles and competed for the most steps thus motivating each other while he traveled.
Published 13 months ago by S. Huckaba

1,359 of 1,382 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a perfect fitness motivator that changed my lifestyle, December 7, 2012
Nanotubeman (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fitbit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker, Charcoal (Health and Beauty)
(Updated Oct 8 2013, lost Zip; vs iPhone 5s)
(Updated Mar 7th 2013)

My life is 8+ hours on a desk every workday. I got a treadmill 6 months ago but find myself often with excuses not to stand on it but rather in front of the computer in my den most of the nights. I crossed shopped the Fitbit one and decided to buy a pair of this Fitbit Zip for me and wify two weeks ago. I got to say, this idea works wonders. Nothing motivates me better than keeping a little score of myself. Now I know I walk 4k~5k a day and I spend ~30 minutes everyday at home to walk that extra couple miles to get my 10k steps. Already lost 2 lbs. My wife hits almost 12k a day and I don't know if I'm able to catch her soon.

Let me tell you why the Zip is perfect, rather than a pedometer, or the better Fitbit One model:

1. It IS a pedometer that is zero-maintenance! That is the single most important feature. It has no buttons and requires nothing from you other than keeping it on yourself. It auto-resets to zero at midnight and constantly syncs data online. Old school pedometers need to be reset and recorded manually, enough for lazy people like me to stay away.

2. It syncs with my iPhone 4s using the low-power Bluetooth 4.0 (by the way a very new, high-tech mode) about every 40 minutes or every time when I fire up the Fitbit app. Again nothing is needed from me. This single handedly beats all the Nike band, Jawbone Up or the old Fitbit where you need to plug in something to sync. One thing to note: the iPhone Fitbit app does not sync to the Fitbit Zip in the background by default, just remember to go into its settings and turn it on. When on, the app doesn't need to be in the front. You don't even see the Fitbit in the Bluetooth device list. Everything just works.

3. No charging cable. This is the key feature that makes me proud of my decision away from the Fitbit One. It's just one less hassle to deal with, one less routine to remember to do. Being lazy as I am, I will probably forget to charge the Fitbit One's rechargeable batteries every once in a while and grow excuse not to exercise. Again the CR2025 coin battery for the Zip lasts several months (not tested yet for obvious reasons but it's still full after 2 weeks on mine) that's basically forever in today's tech gadget language. These batteries are $2 for a 5 pack on Amazon so cost isn't an issue.

So all in all, Fitbit Zip is a glorified pedometer but one that can be clipped on and forgotten without any hassle of clicking, charging or syncing. It's truly changed my lifestyle as a lazy person. Highly recommended.

Oh by the way, I don't understand the negative reviews on the battery door: I opened and installed the battery on two Fitbit Zips within 3 minutes, using the provided tool (really a plastic quarter). No problem whatsoever. Could it be a bad batch of devices those people got?

March 7, 2013, update on battery life: it's been exactly 4 months since beginning of December and one of our Fitbits shows the "Low Battery" sign today with a notification on the iphone as well. I looked up Fitbit's website and this means it has 25% battery life left. A flashing battery sign will mean changing it immediately and I'll wait till then to do it. This is after average use of 12k steps a day.

Oct 8, 2013. We lost one of the Fitbit Zips after wearing it everyday for 10 months. Still worth it for the price imo but too easy to lose might be the biggest complaint I have against the Zip.

Meanwhile, we also upgraded our phones to iPhone 5s, which has the M7 motion coprocessor. It's basically a free Fitbit inside your iPhone: it keeps tracking and stores your steps in the past 7 days, period. There is no on/off button for this function and it has negligible battery drain - sounds very good on paper. There are already several apps that can tap into M7's memory and display the step count for me. But I'd like to comment that the iPhone 5s seems to underestimate my steps. I wear my iPhone in a belt clip holster all day, plus my Fitbit Zip in my pant pocket. The iPhone would show 8,000 steps while Fitbit shows 12,000, or only 3,000 steps while Fitbit 5,000. I did a quick comparison by walking while holding both (not recommended, safety first!) and it seems that the Fitbit is the accurate one and iPhone's M7 processor missed lots of steps going up and down on the staircase. I'll be keeping my Fitbit Zip.

1,455 of 1,522 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Fitbit Zip is my dark, somewhat abusive master, November 5, 2012
I remember the carefree days of the Tamogotchi, where a tiny LCD face told me about personal responsibility, and more importantly, the tragedy of neglect. Oh no, my tiny LCD creature is sickly, for I have forgotten to eliminate its foul, digital waste! Oh no, I have starved yet another ducklike beast near to death due to my incompetence as a plastic bauble owner.

The Fitbit Zip has many Tamogotchi-like qualities, with one major difference: when its simplified emoticon face shows disgust at you, it is because you have failed yourself.

Many a lazy Sunday have I woken up from a pleasing, decadent afternoon nap, to see the little guy judging me from his silicon throne: ":P" Oh god, I thought. I could have been wandering aimlessly around my house, probably between my couch and fridge.

And yet, post-workout, he feeds me his genuine, electronic glee at my activity: ":D" YES. Finally. The callous but potent validation that keeps me motivated to continue plodding through my otherwise dreary life.

Because I clip him to my bra strap, he is literally a demon that sits on my shoulder. One time, furious at his intercession in my otherwise sedentary lifestyle, I yelled, "Are you happy now, you little a**hole?" My boyfriend thought I was referring to him, and we had a fight. (-1 star.)

But seriously.
+ Good motivator, great online support.
+ I haven't had the battery case problems reported elsewhere.
+ Convenient, and easy to remember to carry around.
- Cat thinks it is a toy, sometimes steals it.
- Registers steps accurately, but an hour of Zumba is disappointingly low compared to an hour of walking.
- May cause internal strife at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME in a tiny package., April 24, 2013
DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT WORK FOR FITBIT, NOR IS THIS A PAID REVIEW.

I am employed by a major US Cell Phone carrier (Desk Job) and the FitBit Zip made our list as "Accessory of the Month" in February. I had wanted one since August, so I finally picked one up. Now my hopes were not all that high, I have used pedometers before (they usually vanish into the nine hells of the laundry room) and to be honest don't do much to inspire me and usually make me self conscious because you can HEAR them chime when you move.

No such Issue, I clip it on my bra with the display facing in, and it doesn't even disrupt the line of my clothes. Vanity satisfied, the price tag had me careful not to wash it.

I love this thing so much FitBit SHOULD Hire me.

Pros: Size, color selection, the mobile App and website.

FitBit has made their little corner of the market by making it social, a way to be exercise buddies with pals in the Military no matter how far apart we are. Your account with FitBit can be connected to your FaceBook account, HUGE Plus.

When you use the App you can track your calories (Just like MyFitness Pal) and Track your water (food diary). BUT when you get close to your CUSTOMIZED goals, the App will send you an Alert. "Almost there, 200 steps to go!" You can earn badges, and if you are at all competitive its a great asset when you don't have an exercise buddy.

They also send you a weekly e-mail, summarizing your highs and lows and average caloric intake. (Sold Yet?) If you are on a weight-loss program or working with a Trainer of Physician these updates can be forwarded straight to them. Diabetic? Talk to your doctor about it, walking encourages circulation, gotta fight nerve damage!

FitBit has a great family of products, take a look at the Aria Scale (sends your weight wirelessly to the fitbit site) keeps you honest. Sleep Monitors (for our friends with apnea) they all work together in a very cohesive fashion.

I'm converted.

Cons: I want a Barcode Scanner.

This little gem has taken me from less than 1000 steps a day to 5500 daily in less than 3 months. Everyone should have one, I should know, I just talked my boss into it to help her shed baby weight, also got our work Wellness Center to host a contest to win one. I hope that this is helpful!

3.0 out of 5 stars Zip vs One & Fitbit customer service, July 2, 2013
S. Huckaba (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
May 2013 the first one stopped. Battery tester indicated the battery was still very good but the Zip would not cut on. We went through the FAQ steps online for resetting the device with no luck. Contacted customer support which you must do from your profile online. After several messages back and forth another Zip was sent to us. June 2013 the other Zip died. But the second one went through a longer death with moments of awake and death with losing steps between. Contacted support again and another is on the way. Their customer service is different than usual but it ROCKS!

Mid June I purchased a Fitbit One (gave working Zip to husband while waiting for replacement) and so far I have to say it is worth the extra money. The One recharges via USB while the Zip takes $6 batteries about every six months. The One also tracks stairs (floors) & sleep, although the sleep tracking is nothing to write home about. As for the "floor" tracking; I walk the hilly neighborhood to the pool and back daily. I am getting "floor" credit for those big hills and the bigger the hill the more credit. I'm finding that motivating to make the walk vs easy drive. Another motivation in the One vs the Zip is that flower you see in images; the longer you stay active the taller the flower gets. Sit down for too long and that flower will shorten. The screen on the One also lights up so it is visible in low light situations. For additional motivation you can set messages to appear on the One.

So if you want something to motivate you to start walking more but may not want to stick it out for long go for the Zip. If you want even more feedback and motivation spend the $40 more and get the One. No matter what you choose try to link profiles with friends/family - you can taunt and cheer them from your profile to theirs for even more motivation. Good luck and get busy earning those badges!

edit on 7/8/13
Oh, Sleep tracking. I actually prefered sleep tracking on the Zip more than the One. Here's why; if you leave the Zip on while sleeping (just leave it on the waistband of your PJs) you get a graph on your online dashboard of all your movement. It even registered my nerve pain with huge spikes, my steps to the med cabinet, and then I could see the pain meds kick in with no movement till morning. Sleep tracking with the One is putting it in that wristband and holding down the button until a timer appears. You do the same in the AM to stop the timer. It then measures your movement in yet another graph.

I'm giving my One the full six months I gave the Zip and I'll leave a review for it when that time arrives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop your search now, this is what you want., February 3, 2013
I received my zip as a Christmas present and I think it will be the most important piece of sports equipment I will ever own. Why?

1. It encourages me to be more active. My job is absolutely sedentary, to the point where I am encouraged to take naps, while on the clock, during my downtime. I'm sure that if it wasn't for my fitbit I wouldn't have walked (or snowshoed or ran) nearly as much as I have since Christmas; even with it being winter in Buffalo.

2. I just wear it and it tells me how many steps I've taken, how far I've gone and how many calories I've burned. It's simple. It's unbiased. It's consistent.

3. I love the free online profile. Whenever I'm near my computer my fitbit automatically syncs and I've got a wealth of information at my fingertips. I love the charts and graphs. The website is beautiful and easy to navigate. Even when I was away from home for over a week it still had my information stored and it synced right away.

4. I wear my fitbit on my bra in between the cups where it is out of the way and out of sight. The silicone clip that it's in is secure and regardless of my activity it stays put. When I wear sports bras I hook it a little higher on one of the side straps (so it's not a little lump in the middle of uni-boob) where I can easily check it by pulling at the neck of my shirt.

5. It encourages friendly competition. I like seeing how my activity compares to my friend's for the day/week. If I notice a friend getting close to my step numbers, I try and be more active--because I love to win.

6. The food tracker, both online and via the android app, is easy to use and makes me think twice about what I eat. Since I know approximately how much I'm burning, I'm logging what I'm eating and that a pound of fat is 3500 calories, I can see a direct correlation of negative calories eaten equals pounds lost. AKA, the numerical focus on the dashboard is pertinent and sound.

Since clipping this little thing on at Christmas I've lost 13 pounds by just being more active and paying better attention to what I'm eating. If you actually wear it consistently, get in your recommended 10,000 steps a day and eat at a _healthy_ caloric deficit you will lose weight. It's science!

5.0 out of 5 stars this product will change your life, April 29, 2013
I am 70, retired and slightly overweight. The fitbit was a christmas present and after 4 months the online support group of other fitbit users, friendly competition and shared enthusiasm, I have walked 1000 miles, lost 40 pounds and look forward to walking every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars This motivates a 63 year old lady to walk!!, December 9, 2013
Ok, the truth is, I don't like gimmicks. But, I needed to lose weight and get my blood pressure down. I needed to walk. And after trying other pedometers... I wasn't really motivated by them. But, this fit bit zip, fits inside my clothes, hooks on to middle of my upper undergarment (she said as only an old lady would) and I never know it's there - until I log into the computer and see my amazing progress. For some stupid reason, it works. IT MOTIVATES ME. And now I'm averaging 50 miles a week. Walking! Yes, you read that correctly. I'm almost 63 and I'm walking miles and miles every day. It's fun to try and beat my previous record. Buy this for your momma!

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivation for the totally unmotivated, January 29, 2013
I have never reviewed a product on Amazon before, despite buying almost everything I own from here (toilet paper, anyone?). But I am so excited about my Fitbit Zip that I just have to share.

First of all, it was super easy to set up-- no measuring your stride or anything like that. Even syncing it to the computer is a breeze-- I am an Android user, and yes, I do sort of find it annoying that I can't just sync to my phone whenever I want, but I have found that having to sit down for a sec and sync it to my computer at home is painless, and actually allows me to forget about wearing the Fitbit for awhile, so I get a more accurate reading of what I'm ACTUALLY doing, instead of letting the Fitbit tell me what I SHOULD be doing.

That having been said, I have literally never been so motivated by such a small piece of plastic in my entire life. In an effort to earn steps, I have found myself getting up from my desk and taking laps around the office; making an effort to get out more at lunch and walk around; chasing my daughter around the house for as long as she wants, and even (gasp!) getting on my elliptical machine to reach that 10,000 step goal. I've had it a little over a week now, and I can already feel a difference not just in my body, but in my mood and my mind, as well. (And I am not the kind of person who says things like "my mood and my mind").

True, the Fitbit doesn't KNOW I'm on an elliptical; but it knows that I'm taking steps, and that's what counts. And if I want it to count that as a specific activity, I can log it on Fitbit's site, or even better, I can log it on My Fitness Pal (myfitnesspal.com), which easily imports all my Fitbit data once I upload it to my computer.

I've not had it long enough to have to worry about changing the battery yet, but I had no problem at all installing the battery initially; I did not experience the breakage that a lot of other people seem to have had.

Point is, I am generally fat and lazy. But with the Fitbit Zip, I find myself making that extra effort to get up and get moving. In fact, I like it so much that if I continue to do well with this one, I intend to upgrade to the One or the Flex later this year. The Zip is perfect for someone like me that didn't know if they would find such an item motivating enough. My guess is that if they're anything like me, they will.

**3/1/13 UPDATE** I don't know when this actually went live, because I'm sort of bad about updating my apps, but you can now wirelessly sync the Zip with my Samsung Galaxy S III, making this THE GREATEST THING EVER. Also, I've lost nine pounds since I first wrote this review. And I joined a gym, something I literally thought would NEVER happen!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, October 9, 2012
I have had two Fitbit Zips now - the first lasted about a year, and then just stopped working. There was no display, and no synching. Replacing the battery (which was not flat) didn't help. I thought, well, I got a year out of it, so I just ordered another one. I had that for two weeks, and the same thing happened. So I'm mighty irritated. I returned it to Amazon, and got the Fitbit One instead.

I'm very disappointed in the Zips, and even though I replaced it with the One now, it will probably be my last (I've had Fitbits from the very first one). With the technological advances for wearable trackers these days, and Fitbit STILL doesn't have a waterproof model that measures swimming. When the Flex came out with the only difference being that it's a wrist strap, I was done with waiting. Anyway, I digress.

So a big thumbs-down for my Zip experience. I won't buy another one, and I'm anxiously waiting on either the Amiigo, or the Apple iWatch. The Fitbit One is really just filling a temporary void until then. The Zip experience was the last straw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Zip, October 19, 2012
I love the Zip. I especially love that I don't have to plug it into my computer every couple of days to charge it and instead can look forward to about four months on the battery. I was always forgetting to put the Fitbit Ultra back on after charging so wasn't getting an accurate count of steps. I didn't need the stair counter as I live and work in a single-level environment. The Zip syncs great with the iPhone app. I also appreciate that I don't have to worry about moisture as I did with the Ultra. I see other reviewers had problems with the battery door, but I didn't have an issue with that. You can put me in the "satisfied customer" column.

Fitbit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker, Charcoal