5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for swimmers of all abilities-
Fitness Swimming is a teriffic book for swimmers of all abilities- It's the kind of book that will get you in the pool while actually enjoying your swim practices. Emmett Hines is an excellent coach & author who understands how to get the reader motivated to swim smarter rather than harder- The self-paced drills and various workout organization are easy to follow...
Published on September 7, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars I feel overwhelmed
As an avid swimmer looking to improve technique, I purchased this book. I feel kind of like someone who has taken a general high school science class opening a college textbook on quantum mechanics. Swimming technique is broken down in great detail, but I am having a hard time following the text descriptions of the basic drills (some videos would have been nice) and...
Published 12 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Good workout plans, August 14, 1999
By A Customer
Among the many books I have, this actually charts out a good progression of workout plans. If you are into improving your techniques, then this book is not for you. This book merely talks about how you could develop good work out plans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Detailed Workouts, May 3, 2013
I chose this rating because I was looking for something explaining how to work specific muscles. This book is very detailed in swim workouts and strategies and I learned valuable information that I will use forever however the workouts are much more than I needed. Though I have improved my swim time by incorporating simple strategies mentioned that I never thought of. I am not yet finished with the book as it is a read-and-do book so it takes much time to finish even if you choose to skip through parts of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars This validates that swimming is great, December 18, 2012
This review is from: Fitness Swimming, Second Edition (Paperback)
I liked this book for the validation that swimming is great exercise. I found that the workouts were too complicated to follow so I have not used the workouts.

4.0 out of 5 stars great book for those wanting to move beyuond casual swimming, July 22, 2010
great book for someone looking to improve beyond a casual swimmer. good instruction and many greqat drills.

5.0 out of 5 stars swimming training, November 21, 2009
This review is from: Fitness Swimming, Second Edition (Paperback)
Good book for the advanced swimmer who is looking for tips in general and clear modern training programmes.

4.0 out of 5 stars great swim book, March 15, 2014
This review is from: Fitness Swimming, Second Edition (Paperback)
2+ years of learning to swim as an adult. Got several books, and this one is great. He has drills and when you get more skilled later, there is a time/interval chart so you can chart your progress. I recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, January 19, 2014
This review is from: Fitness Swimming, Second Edition (Paperback)
This is an awesome book, great swimming tips and easy to follow techniques, instructor is definitely knowledgeable about subject and would recommend for all swimmers

5.0 out of 5 stars Now it is my textbook, December 20, 2013
I'm start swimming for fitness, and choose work with this book. Very happy with it and really enjoy it. Recently I completed only Level 1 Workout 1, but I feel that very one step on road 1000 miles already done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Improving Your Swimming, July 21, 2013
This book is so well written - and Hines uses the perfect descriptions to help you understand how body position and posture will improve your swimming. Any swimmer who employs the techniques will see improvement. I was helping a friend of mine with her swimming in preparation for a triathlon. She was deadly afraid of the swim. After just one hour of doing the drills, her stroke was so vastly improved that she feels SO much better about her upcoming race.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have worked through 6 drill exercises and already feel the difference, July 6, 2013
This review is from: Fitness Swimming, Second Edition (Paperback)
I have never had a good freestyle. I float well (or am "positively buoyant" as they say), and took all the Red Cross courses growing up, so other strokes have good form. But, because I never raced, my freestyle was always terribly inefficient; it always felt like so much work.

I've worked through slide-glide-breathe exercises, rollovers, and other the stuff that precedes the first drill set that incorporates the arms, breathing, and movement side to side. (About 6 exercises in). Already, it is like magic. The earlier drills, which I practiced extensively, helped remove the extraneous movement that was occurring because of how I was improperly moving my head and not "pushing down" into my buoy, as he says. Other actions in my sequence of movements were adding drag - I never even realized I was doing it. And hips, I had no idea they were involved! Now I see how the parts fit together.

So, this is a GREAT SELF HELP book. I take it with me every time I practice. (I made copies of the drills from my library copy and ordered a permanent copy. I just had to rave about it now.)

This is the most methodical book deconstructing the freestyle I have ever read. And, that's saying something, because I pulled in over 15 books on swimming from throughout the Maryland library system.

If you really want to refine your stroke through drills, and then get assistance in a fitness plan, this is the book.

Fitness Swimming, Second Edition
Fitness Swimming, Second Edition by Emmett W. Hines (Paperback - June 30, 2008)
$18.95 $12.14