Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 8, 2000
The book is very complete and very easy to understand with step by step instructions that don't clog you mind or are hard to remember. Walking is presented as a healthy habit that will ensure a new way of working out and staying in shape. The book sets you up with valuable information from choosing the right gear to avoiding injuries to getting fit. It's a great book for beginners because it motivates you to start and keep fit without making it a routine or monotonous experience, helping you move to higher levels or workouts, while keeping the habit of walking. It makes a great addition to have along with Nutrition for Dummies and Workouts for Dummies.
--Reviewed by M. E. Volmar
on February 26, 2001
Truly, dummies, need not apply. This book is for anyone interested in fitness in general. This book is filled with so much information, it is mind boggling.
I had no idea that buying this book would be such a great move on my part, I have gained so much needed insight on various health topics. From understanding your risk for heart disease, to finding the right pair of shoes, this book has it all.
The author Liz Neoporent, is really a Fitness expert. There are 20 chapters, each jam packed with useful information. I have determined my body mass index, as well as measured the strength of my middle and lower body. I have finally been able to buy the right sports bra, that does not make me 'wiggle and jiggle'. I have understood the 4 levels of walking plus their benefits, and found out the importance of strength training, how beneficial it really is. Plus, I have finally been able to find a pair of shoes that do not give me painful blisters (what a miracle).
This book is great, what I mentioned above, is just skimming the surface of all the useful information provided. This is NOT just a book about walking. This is a great resource for any fitness enthusiast. I recommend it to anyone wanting to better their bodies and themselves.
on April 10, 2003
I purchased this book back in 2000. I just picked it back up last week. After reading it, I began my Walking Program. The book is great, easy to read, and a good reference tool. Anyone who is interested in making walking a part of your fitness routine MUST get this book!
on May 22, 2012
i brought this book cause i was walking to lose weight and was hurting myself now this book helps with that problem now i can take it easy without hurting myself again and it gives heart rate stuff and the proper way of walking etc.... i was doing the turkey walk it looks real funny in the book but darn i never knew it was wrong the way i was walking til i got this book.
on October 15, 2008
To venture a guess; if you re considering buying this book you are more than likely considering (or have recently begun) walking as a form of exercise.
If so, BUY IT, start reading, and by all means GET UP & WALK.
The book will help.
It is chock full of info such as fitness evaluation, shoes & gear, excrcise & strength training for walkers, stretches, technique, and on, and on,and on, and all of it good advice.
Quite frankly however it is a heck of a lot to absorb all at once, and offers so much info that the you may be overwhelmed by detail, options, training styles, etc
If it gets you up & walking though, then your dollars will have been well spent.
And once you have started walking then check out Prevention's Complete Book of Walking by Maggie Spliner.
The book's simplicity will refresh you as much as its Dynamic Walking Technique will enthuse & invigorate you.

Papacucu
October 2008
on February 24, 2014
I bought this book as a gift for my wife who recently bought a treadmill. I think the "for Dummies" series are some of the best
books I've ever read. And my wife seems quite pleased with this one. And if the boss is happy, I'm happy.
on June 10, 2011
GREAT BOOK! I purchased two of these books since my daughter (who had just had her second child) and I decided to begin a walking program for better health and fitness. She is thrilled with hers and so am I. It provides all the information you need before just getting out there and starting without understanding what you are doing. It lets you know the basics and gets your started on the right foot. It provides you with a plan of action to keep you on the right path of improvement. However, it is certainly not limited to beginners as it takes you the all four levels of walking. I do recommend this book. This purchase created two very satisfied customers.
on September 6, 2012
Lots and lots of usefull tips that help me start a walking routine, in my case I was looking to avoid injuries and buy the correct snickers.
on April 10, 2012
learned a lot from this book great help for me thanks. Easy to understand and move through. enjoy sharing with friends.
on October 8, 2015
Very informative, especially for someone ready to take their walking up a notch!