Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Spiral or wirebound notebooks exist by the dozen, from the inexpensive versions that sell for a dollar to extremely fancy versions that sell for far more than this particular notebook. If you are seeking a cheap, spiral bound notebook, then pass this one by and go buy a cheap, spiral bound notebook. If you are looking for a notebook that will last you for a semester, or longer, then you may want to take a look at this notebook.

Of course, this notebook has 200 sheets of college rule (narrow) paper, which anyone would expect. This notebook has much, much more. For starters, there are five dividers. However, the dividers are more than just dividers, because each divider includes three pockets for paper, notes, etc. Each divider includes an interior color-coded tab that enables quick access to a particular portion of the notebook. The Spiral is large, so paper slides easily from section to section. The spiral is covered by cloth, reducing the chance of snagging or damaging the spirals. A pen loop is attached to the cloth cover so you can avoid the dreaded ink stain on your pocket, or in your backpack, or your purse, or murse (man purse, you know!), or whatever it is you carry that you put your pen into - if you use a pen. Where would a self-respecting spiral bound notebook be without obligatory covers, which are heavy plastic for this notebook. While the covers are unlikely to stop bullets, they will certainly protect the paper from the things that most students will typically encounter.

Since this notebook has lots of features, does it have any downsides? I suppose that depends on the features you want. I saw complaints about the thickness of the paper. I tend to use gel pens and ink pens, and neither types that I use bled through the paper, so the paper is sufficiently thick for my needs. I also saw complaints about the size of the paper. I measured this paper against the standard paper I use, and this paper seems about the same width, and it is the same length. I am not sure what paper others were using for comparison. I have seen lots of variation in 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper, and this paper appears to be about standard size. I also saw complaints about the tab position, internal versus external. Being left handed, I admit that the internal tabs were really easy for me to use, and I can see how they are better protected toward the interior versus the exterior.

This review ends how it began. Each person needs to choose the features they value in a spiral bound notebook. Similarly, evaluate the potential downsides and determine if any of those are a problem for you. If you need a highly durable spiral notebook with 200 sheets that includes dividers having pockets, then this one seems, to me, to be a really good choice.

Enjoy!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 10, 2014
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've given four stars to the other Five Star products I've reviewed, because the paper they use nowadays seems flimsier than in Five Star notebooks of a few years ago. However, I have to give this notebook the full five stars because I love its other features so much. After discovering how much I liked the one I received to review, I bought another one.

Let me first mention that this notebook weighs a little over 2 pounds, so if you don't want to schlep that much in your backpack, maybe you can buy a 3-subject notebook in this same style. I'm not a student, and this notebook remains at home most of the time, so the weight is not a problem for me.

I absolutely love having the fabric covering the spiral metal binding. It keeps the metal from getting bent and snagging on things, and gives the notebook a classier look.

I also love the sturdy plastic pockets dividing each subject. A lot of notebooks have the papery/cardboardy things in between subjects, with perhaps a little reinforcement at the tops and edges. The ones in this notebook are good quality plastic that will last a lot longer, and they help with organizing because there are actually three pockets to use on each divider. There's a short pocket and a taller pocket on the front, and a short pocket on the back of the divider.

The last thing I love about this notebook is that it has a nice thick, sturdy plastic outer cover on both the front and back. Most notebooks I get have plastic on the front and thick cardboard on the back, and the cardboard starts to wear out before the rest of the notebook. On this notebook the back cover feels slightly stronger to me than the front one, although I'm sure they're made of the same material. With this kind of quality, I anticipate some real durability from this notebook.
on October 16, 2012
Lets first start off by saying, yes 11$ is a lot for a notebook, but do not get confused between notebook and organized college notebook. I am on my second year in college and bought 5 of these the first year. They are worth it because I am still using them and they are still in excellent condition.

The best part is they do not fall apart. second is that i use one subject per class, so i separate them. math classes for one notebook, science for another, humanity is another, and weather class is another. (training to be professional commercial pilot)

you will see that after the first semester you will not have to worry about keeping your old notebooks because the first ones are still going strong. the best part is that one notebook contains previous (similar) classes so i can always use them for reference. The syllabi i get for the classes is what i keep in the folder for that subject in a specific notebook, it works out perfectly because i have my class homework/tests/readings all in my notebook.

so far i keep
ma 111, 112, as309 (aerodynamics) in one notebook.
ps 103, 104, 115Lab in another
AS 121 (private pilot operations), 221 (instrument pilot operations), 321 (commercial pilot operations), 220 (unmanned aerial system operations) in one
WX 201, 301 (weather classes) and Comm 121, hu 143 in another

and look, i still have more room for one more semester and these are the first noreboos bought for college.

so yea its gonna be 60$ but that 60$ is basicaly 25 courses you can keep neatly in 5 notebooks.

The best buy
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have the good fortune of being a full-time author. It took me twenty years of working on this good fortune, but here I am. Amazon asked me to review this and I jumped at the chance. Here's why (and why I think it will help you).

I have three PCs, a handful of laptops (I can never seem to get rid of an old friend), and the usual technophile gadgets, BUT there is nothing like a gold old-fashioned pen-and paper notebook. These things are super handy, portable, and don't require batteries or an outlet. You can take them anywhere to write--and I do. Normally I stock up on the cheapie spiral notebooks when they are on sale, but this may be my favorite spiral notebook ever.

Starting with the outside: The cover is flexible plastic. I am generally used to the cardboard ones, so this is nice because I can spill coffee on it (like I do . . .) and not have a mess. I can stuff it in my laptop bags, backpacks, and grab it easily and toss it in the car. The thing weighs about two pounds, so it has some heft. It's also about an inch and a half thick, in case you were wondering. Neither of the covers (front or back) is rigid, but they are sturdy enough to create a solid writing surface. I do wish it came with a wraparound fastener (velcro would work nicely here, or a snap) to keep it from flying open. That is my main beef with this thing.

The one enhancement that makes this unique is the addition of a nylon (it feels like nylon) "spiral ring protector" on the spine. You can see this in the product image, but since it is black, and the covers are black, it might be hard to spot at first. It is actually sewn into the plastic covers. So far it has been pretty sturdy (check back with me in six months!). Also, attached to the nylon is a pen loop (a pen holder sleeve). It is black as well, so good luck seeing that in the product image. I always cram my pens into the spiral rings, so this is a HUGE convenience.

Now for the "big feature" that Mead wants you to go crazy over: The front cover has a tab cut (a cut away section) on the top left corner. This looked bizarre to me at first, and it took me a moment to realize what it was for, and a few more moments for me to get over my distaste it it, to bother trying it. I actually like this feature (it grows on you). Most "tab notebooks" have the tabs on the outside edges (away from the spine), but they tucked the tabs in the upper corner for this binder. It feels counter-intuitive at first because you have to use both hands to open the notebook. What works for me (I hope I am doing this right) is hold the notebook in your right hand, and slip your index left finger behind the colored tab you want, and lift that much paper, which pops open the top of the notebook. It is really easy after a few tries. This does present a problem though: You can't mark the tabs, so you are reliant on memorizing the colors for each subject. Again: "almost perfect."

The dividers are "smoked clear" plastic that have diagonal cut pockets (versus the usual half cut horizontal pockets), so that is nothing to write home about, but I suppose that you can buy and attach tabs to those. The paper is paper (no surprise there--but no problems either. It is micro-perforated for easy tearing out (pretty much standard these days). There are no other features, no key ring tabs to hand things on, so it is nothing fancy. Is it well built? Oh absolutely, but it is only 200 pages of paper, so for the price (per page) you really need to make sure that this is enough for your needs.

Thanks for reading this. Hope it helps. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Oh wow, this Mead 5 Advanced Subject Notebook is awesome and I can't wait to see how it works out with actual hard-kid usage. Previously I reviewed a different Mead notebook and I was pretty enthusiastic about it. But this one solves all the problems that I had with the other one.

The first thing I like is that there is a cloth covering over the spirals. I don't know about you but all of my spiral notebooks, even the ones with LARGE rings like the ones I used in college, became bent over time, or snarled with other notebooks or things in my backpack. This cover should remedy that problem.

In addition, this MEAD ADVANCED notebook fulfills some of the wants I had on my 'wishlist' for the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKRKFQI. What I 'wished' for were a plastic backcover and dividing pockets. This MEAD ADVANCED model has these things! The backcover is water resistant and dividers are not only have pockets on both sides, they are a transparent smokey-gray plastic. This should make it easier to see cards in the pockets, and should hopefully be sturdier than the paper dividers.

The thing next thing I'm REALLY enthusiastic about is the color coded dividers. On the other Mead notebook I noted that I planned to glue-on tabs so that the kids could tell which subject was where. This ADVANCED goes one better. There are color divider tabs .AND. they are inside the notebook. They don't stick out where they will scratch other things nor get beat up, they are inside. I'm not very good at describing things, so I'll point you to the photos, and I'll note that you can reach the tabs from the inside.

Pricey but I recommend. I think this is a notebook that is going to hold up better than others, and it's a notebook which has some unique and useful features.
on October 25, 2012
(I am writing this in response to a Five Star Advance 5 Subject Notebook that I just bought on Amazon two months ago but seems to have been replaced by this version. It was almost the same product, just didn't have the gap in binding in the top left corner.

I've always gotten the tough Five Star notebooks for college. This is my senior year and I've been through tons of these things, but I had never gotten the "Advance" version. Five Star is known for indestructibility, thick cover and backing, and nice paper.

When I got the Advance version, I was impressed by the plastic divider pockets, labels for the tabs, and even the cloth binding cover with a pencil holder. It seemed worth the extra $5 for convenience, a good investment.

The first day of class, however, I turned to the first page of a new subject section and found only half a page. It seemed like a number of pages had been bound even though they had run out of material to make the pages on the press. So I ended up with a pile of pages that had strange missing half circle areas. I ripped these out and thought I was fine.

Well, throughout the rest of the notebook, the ripped out sections had caused every single page to have a mini-fold in it throughout the rest of the book. This fold was definitely from manufacturing as the length of the pages still fit the notebook, and was super-compressed and looked like a ridge.

Lastly, I felt like the paper quality was less than that of the normal Five Star notebooks. My mechanical pencil can pop right through the sheets if I don't take care to write very lightly, and numerous pages have simply fallen out, without much abuse.

Maybe I got a bad one, maybe they've fixed it along with the new cut-out top corner. Until I can handle one of these new ones in the store, I am definitely going to keep buying the regular old $5 ones.
on December 4, 2012
Holds up well under the beating it gets at school and will buy it again next year for back to school.
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Hard to get excited about a notebook. This is a cool little notebook though!

It is your average sized notebook (11” tall, 10” wide, and just over 1.1” thick), and comes with 200 college-ruled sheets (three hole punch and perforated). It is a bit costly for a notebook, and you can get a store brand for much less, with a few less features
The exterior is plastic so the covers hold up well. The binding is actually a nylon material, and acts as a guard for the spiral metal. This gives the notebook a unique look, keeps the metal from getting banged up, and allows the notebook to be a little smaller than the same capacity hard-style binder. The material covering the spiral may not seem like a big deal, but most of us have probably had a spiral notebook where the metal got caught on something, often another notebook, or got pulled or bent, and then it became a chore to flip pages.

The notebook also includes 5 color tabs to mark each section of papers. The tabs are cleverly visible at the top of the binding, so you can stick in your finger and flip to the desired section.

There are clear plastic pockets/dividers in between the sections, as well as n external pen loop attached to the front.
Five Star backs this with their guarantee that it will last the school year. It can be returned if it fails within one year. Possibly a bit pricey for what it is, but overall a decent product.
VINE VOICEon August 16, 2014
Now THIS is a notebook!

I've reviewed a lot of notebooks over the last week, and this is by far the best one I've received. I'll tell you right now, there's nothing bad to say about it, aside from the fact that you can't refill it with paper. But then again, this is a spiral notebook, not a binder.

First, you've got a flexible plastic cover, which helps repel water, should anything spill on your notebook. The spine covering that goes over the spiral section is made of nylon, and the back of the notebook is plastic, though it's thicker than the cover. Inside you get 5 dividers with tabs to divide (duh) subjects, each with 40 pages of college ruled paper. Each divider is clear plastic, with two pockets on both sides for storing assignments. As an added bonus, the notebook paper is perforated, so you can rip out pages without having that ugly spiral damage you'd normally get.

I was shocked to see that Amazon wasn't selling these at full price like they have been with similar products from Five Star lately. Don't hesitate- buy a couple now, and use that coupon offered above! This notebook is already a steal at Amazon's current price (nearly half off the MSRP), and extra savings are always welcome! This is a notebook you can trust to last for a long time. It's earned the mostly positive reviews on here.
Color: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
And you thought a notebook was a notebook. After decades of having to choose between your standard spiral bound notebook or glue-bound composition book, finally someone is thinking outside the box.

Let us start with the obvious.
1, "Spiral Guard" covers that evil wire binding. No more snagging your Arglye sweater on your way from your locker to classroom. What a relief!
2. Inside tabs. Yes, the tabs are no longer along the right outside edge of your notebook where they can get easily lost amongst lose handouts and handwritten notes from you-know-who. With the tabs on the top left-hand side of the notebook you can somehow manage to flip to section you need with ease (kind of).
3. The handy-dandy exterior pen loop. If you plan to actually use this notebook to write in at school a pen could prove to be useful.
4. Each of the 5 subject areas are divided by sturdy pocket organizers in case you need to organize your pockets.
5. Paper is perforated and three-hole punched, for those teachers that demand all homework to be turned in with clean edges.
6. The sturdy plastic cover! Spill your Starbucks on your notebook, no worries. Simply wipe and go. No damage done.

Truly a better notebook.