5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Replacment For My IT "Man Purse"
For many years, I carried a sturdy laptop bag with all my IT devices in it. It has served me quite well but I had concerns about back problems with it being just an over the shoulder bag with all the weight on one size. I wanted to try a backup for this needs and I have to say, the Five Start Ergo Backpack earns its five stars. :)

I was initially afraid of not...
Published 5 months ago by Brian A. Wolters

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems Cheaply Made, Some Positives [Update]
At first glance, the Five Star (no, calling it Five Star isn't enough to make it a five-star product. Nice try! ;) Sidekick Backpack looks flimsy. That's not quite true, as a closer look will tell you. The seams are well-sewn and things seem well-put-together in general. I am worried that with use, some of the edges will start to fray, but that has not happened yet...
Published 5 months ago by Fred

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Replacment For My IT "Man Purse", June 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I was initially afraid of not having as much storage but no worries at all. You have a small zipper pouch on the front and inside, it is divided so you can put smaller stuff on the pouch. Then, there is a much smaller zipper compartment above that and it is perfect for jump drives, a stylus and other smaller devices or connectors. VERY NICE. The main pouch contains a mildly padded area for your main device (in my case, Surface Pro 3) and it fits perfect. It also contains a Velcro strap to keep it a little more secure. The main pouch is also very deep so perfect for power cords, game controllers or as second laptop/tablet.

The backpack is also quite comfortable and easy to put on and remove. High marks for the nice padding on the straps.

I absolutely love this backpack.

5.0 out of 5 stars There Is Comfort in Carrying the Weight of the World, June 18, 2014
tvtv3 "tvtv3" (St. Louis Metro East Area) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I’ve been looking for a new backpack for the past couple of months and when I had the opportunity to try the FIVE STAR ERGO SIDEKICK BACKPACK I decided to examine it. This backpack is designed so that you can transport a laptop if you would like. Currently, I don’t have a laptop computer. However, I have used this backpack to carry around a portable DVD player and it did a good job at protecting it. The shoulders feel soft and provide a great deal of comfort even when transporting a portable DVD player, some DVDs, several books, notebooks, pens, a banana, a sandwich, and a water bottle. I can’t vouch for the long term durability of the backpack as I’ve only had it a couple of weeks. However, it seems to be made from relatively durable materials and has held up well during the excursions I have used it so far. I also really like the colors: the backpack is mostly black, but is highlighted by a bright color of blue on the sides and down the middle. Overall, so far, I have found FIVE STAR ERGO SIDEKICK BACKPACK to be a lightweight, but durable backpack that has met my immediate needs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems Cheaply Made, Some Positives [Update], June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There's ample room for your things, unless you're an outlier. For the everyday laptop user, you won't find too much to complain about in terms of space. There's a side pocket for bottles and the front pouch is roomy. I'm not too happy with the design of the handle, however. Seems like a lot of work to answer a question no one was asking. The blue straps pass over the main section of the bag so that the points of pressure, carrying the bag is much higher and back than a conventional strap. It makes it awkward to hold and maneuver the bag. The padded section for carrying a laptop is a little skimpy and the material covering the bag seems cheap.
An adequate 3 stars.

*Update: I have now used the backpack a few more times and I am unhappy with its usability, starting with its strap design, which made little sense in the first place, but now I've found actually impedes use. Storage both in the main compartment and in the front pouch is sloppy and that feeling of cheap manufacturing, it's spot on. Down to one star.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... to use for school and so far I'm very happy with it, September 10, 2014
I got this about a month ago to use for school and so far I'm very happy with it. The shoulders and back are nicely padded so it's comfortable to wear. I usually have two textbooks, a large notebook, an iPad, and all the random stuff that I transfer over from my purse and everything fits without it feeling overstuffed. Someone had commented on the straps overlapping where the main compartment opens but I haven't found that to be a problem at all. In fact I think it's nice that I don't have to worry about someone trying to open it while I'm wearing it, since I also plan to use it for travel. Overall very happy with the look & feel of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleverly Designed Lightweight Daypack, July 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My first impression of this was how lightweight it is. By itself it weighs almost nothing, yet the fabric and seams appear to be tough and durable. On examination, the pockets are numerous and well thought out. The front pocket contains pen-keepers and spots for other items a student might need to carry to school. There are side pockets and a small pocket that is surprisingly deep, for items like keys, ear-buds etc. The straps are well-padded and comfortable.

All in all, this is a really well-designed pack. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces yet. I had ordered it a week or so before leaving on a 3-week international trip and thought I would use it for my carry on luggage, in order to thoroughly test it, however it didn't arrive in time for that. In a few weeks my son will leave on a trip to Europe so I've passed it on to him to use for HIS carry-on, and will be able to update my review with his experience of it, after he returns.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great backpack, but with a design I'm not used to, July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This backpack is great but a little different than what I'm used to. It seems to be well made and will hopefully last a while. My 15" laptop fits in the laptop sleeve inside great. There seems to be enough padding to protect it. I also really like the smart phone pocket in the front middle. I have perfect easy access to it without having to rummage around larger pockets. I know it won't get scratched since it fits in there perfectly.

The shoulder straps are the part that are a little different and I'm not sure I like them. They actually go over the zipper enclosure of the largest pocket of the backpack. This means that in order to open the backpack and remove items, I have to somewhat flip the straps and move them out of the way. I'll see if the system grows on me, but I'm not sure it will.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roomy bag with comfortable straps., July 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Roomy backpack with nice comfortable straps. The padding is a bit thin on the inside bottom, so I worry a bit about my laptop when kept there. The only other thing that feels a bit awkward is the straps coming over the top of the bag. This makes the bag more comfortable, but it makes it a little bit more complicated to zip everything up and go.

For the price this is a great deal, we'll have to see how long the padding takes to compress.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and good for carrying lighter loads, July 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This backpack is a good option for someone who routinely carries a lighter load. It's made of a lightweight nylon material that is sturdier than it appears to be at first glance. There's a cushioned compartment for a laptop or tablet, a handy zippered pouch for a phone, several interior compartments to stow smaller items and an exterior mesh pocket that holds a water bottle securely. The wide straps are adjustable and padded for comfort. Structurally it's well put together - the seams are nicely sewn and the zippers are sturdy.

This pack is sufficient for my purposes. I normally haul around a tablet, my work out clothes, a water bottle and a book, as well as some smaller items. It may sound like a lot, but the weight rarely goes over 5 pounds. This pack is perfect for that, and I consider it a good value in the $30 price range.

Now if you're someone like my son, who routinely lugs around 25+ pounds of books and assorted stuff, then I'd probably steer you towards a more heavyweight bag (and a heftier price tag). And realistically, no matter how "ergonomic" the design, loading yourself down like a pack mule descending the Grand Canyon is going to wear on your back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bag for trips to the gym, June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This bag is of decent quality and has a lot of great storage, pockets, etc. Quality-wise, it seems mid-range, but that's perfect for my needs. I wear it when I bike to the gym and it holds my shorts, shoes and towel with ease. It's comfortable to wear and has the necessary space to carry everything I need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, sturdy, attractive backpack, June 17, 2014
WryGuy2 (Out On Life's Journey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The backpack is approximately 19 inches tall by 13 inches wide, is lightweight yet well padded, and attractive. Several family members of varying sizes and I were able to adjust the backpack so that it fit comfortably. It has 3 outside zippered pouches:

The first one is about half the height of the backpack (about a foot wide by 8 inches tall), and contains a couple of small stitched compartments that would hold an upright pen, a zippered compartment that would hold keys and change, and a 9 inch wide by 6 inch tall pocket open at the top.

The second zippered pouch on the outside is about 4 inches wide by 8 inches deep. I'm not what you'd put in this one, maybe a drink or your cell phone.

Finally there is the zipper that runs the from the base of one side of the backpack to the base on the other side, going over the top. Inside is a large pocket 12 inches wide by 12 inches tall, with elastic at the top. There is a strap from the very top of the backpack that secures this inside pouch with via a patch of Velcro on the strap and pocket. You could secure a laptop or tablet inside this pocket.
There is a handle attached to the top of the two backstraps, which is handy for picking it up. There is also a loop on the upper back for hanging the backpack up.

One "feature" I don't understand is that the backstraps are attached in front of the largest zippered pouch. In my opinion, this makes it difficult to easily open the rear zippered compartment enough to extract large objects (books, laptop, etc.) In other backpacks I've owned, the straps are secured behind all of the zippered pouches. All I can think of is that it might secure the contents more tightly to you in the event you're jogging or biking.

Overall, this is a lightweight, sturdy, attractive backpack. Four stars.