Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on July 18, 2011
I got some cheap on-sale notebooks from Walmart..they were a waste of money. The page size is smaller than these notebooks, so even though it might be 180 pages, it's not nearly sufficient writing area. The covers were crap (both the top and bottom covers fell off after a few months), the spiral gets bent, the pages tear out. I am hard on them, as I use them in a backpack, but the cheap ones I bought were garbage.

These, on the other hand, are wonderful. The pages are large, the covers are extremely tough, and they're Meade... I've never had pages accidentally rip out of these, and they withstand the abuse of being slid in and out of my backpack repeatedly.

These notebooks come with a feature that involves bending back three tabs to put them in a 3-ring binder and be able to flip it and use both sides of the paper without the rings from the binder getting in the way, and one can keep it stored in the binder (it makes more sense if you look at the notebook...the instructions are on the package, and I think there might even be a video online somewhere about how to use it). I've never used this feature, as I hate 3-ring binders...I very reluctantly use them to hold lined loose-leaf paper, and that's it. Three-ring binders were invented by the devil, I'm pretty sure.

These spiral notebooks are the highest quality ones I've ever used. They might be more expensive than other notebooks with the same page count, but one must look at the page size, also (it's like buying toilet paper by the lowest price per square yards and ignoring that it's one ply. so you have to use 3 times as much), as well as the quality of the covers, spiral, and page attachments. This notebooks are great, and use the highest quality materials I've seen on a spiral bound notebook. Highly recommended!
on August 10, 2014
Color: Orange|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A few weeks ago I reviewed the Five Star Wirebound Notebook, 5-Subject, 200 College-Ruled Sheets, 11 x 8.5 Inch Sheet Size, Teal (72458) and was very happy with it. This 1 subject notebook is essentially the exact same as that one, with no dividers for different subjects.

The notebook has a nice thick cover that's supposed to be water resistant. I tried it out by pouring water on the cover- it didn't go through, though I think that has to do more with it being a flexible plastic cover than anything else. Once you open the notebook, you have a single divider/folder with a pouch on each side to store notes or assignments for easy access. You can even store papers in from the top, as it's closed at the bottom. 'makes for an extra sneaky storage compartment. After that, there are 100 pages of regular notebook paper. Nothing fancy, though it seems to be of better quality than what I used when I was in school, as ink doesn't bleed through (Sharpies and markers, however, do).

I took one star off because it's a bit pricey for a spiral notebook. Storage feature aside, there's no reason to spend so much on something like this when you can get "lesser" ones for half or even one third the price, sometimes with more paper. If it goes on sale, go for it.
on March 3, 2013
Used these in high school many years ago, they've proven themselves now that I've returned to college. I like the folders inside the notebook that help me keep handouts and papers organized without having to carry around a binder or other loose folders. Also, my pens usually fit well in the spine, making the amount of stuff I carry to class a lot less than otherwise would be.
I purchased a variety of these notebooks for stuffed backpack care packages for children in my school district who couldn't afford school supplies this year. These notebooks were some of the most affordable on Amazon (at about $1.88 each when I purchased them), so I snatched up as many as I could use.

I got an array of colors, and was really impressed when they arrived. The colors matched the product description picture 100%. The pink, is a very light pretty pink. The turquoise blue (which I think is no longer available) is a very bright greenish blue. And the navy blue is a dark blue that looks really nice. All of the notebook share the same "Five Star" emblem on the right middle side.

The notebooks have metal spiral binding, which seems really durable. There are no sharp edges, so it's safe for younger kids as well. The back of the notebook is a cardboard material, but the front is sort of a plastic material. It's waterproof, and although I'm not entirely sure what it's made of- it seems really durable and great for active teens who put their notebooks through rigorous gym bag and backpack rides.

These notebooks are college ruled, which isn't typically fit for most Junior High and Elementary students. But for high school students, these notebooks are great. The pages are very large, and the college-ruled lines allow them to write more on one page. The paper quality is great, comparable to other school-quality notebooks out there.

Overall, I'm really happy with these notebooks. The price was right and they're perfect quality for the high schoolers who will be using them. The colors are a great personalized touch, and I'm pretty sure I'll be back for a second order of these notebooks next school year! Highly recommend to high school students, their parents, and their teachers.
on July 10, 2014
Color: Orange|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This one subject notebook is nice, with 100 pages of tear-out straight edge sheets.
The plastic front provides a more rugged touch, but the back is still fiberboard. The back is a bit sturdier than cheap "dollar brand" types but mine arrived slightly bent, so it certainly would be likely to bend in a backpack as well.
The reinforced double sided paper pocket in the front is handy.
The paper has fine lines and resists gel bleed, so you can easily use both sides of each sheet.
The reason I don't find it a great value overall is the pricing. It's an improvement over cheaper brands, but I have paid less for super thick cardboard front & back notebooks which truly did not bend or break throughout an entire school year.
Bottom line: It's a nice look, great if you spill things (only on the cover) but for a 1 subject notebook of any type it's a little too pricey- over five to six dollars would be too much, and this has far exceeded this rule of mine.
on July 18, 2014
Color: Orange|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My son has been using these Five-Star brand notebooks since middle school (and I remember using them back when they were Mead brand when I was in school), and they are the sturdiest, most dependable school supplies we've tried, which is why I snapped these up when they were offered on Vine. Now he'll be taking them to college because we know they may not be the cheapest, but they can take the punishment he dishes out (if you've ever seen the bottom of a teenaged boy's locker or backpack, you know how hard they are on their stuff). The wire binding doesn't come undone to snag on clothes, books, the backpack liner, the covers (plastic in front, cardboard back) are solid and strong and stay attached despite stains, spills, being dragged around and dumped on the school track during track practice, theater floor during play practice, and whatever other grungy places he's dumped his books and notebooks. Recommended!
VINE VOICEon August 22, 2014
Color: Orange|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is ideal for college as a single subject notebook. It's sturdy and looks strong with a poly cover that I imagine to be waterproof. However, the fiberboard back looks less likely to stand up under a year's wear and tear, We'll see about that.

It will fit nicely into a three hole binder, and the sheets are perforated for easy removal. One more plus is that the paper is high quality, so ink won't bleed through making the back side unusable. Altogether, this is a quite usable notebook, easily good for a year.
on June 1, 2016
At the time of purchase I bought this notebook for about $2 each, and found that it was a really great deal, I was not disappointed. The 2 pockets in the front did not rip all year, the paper was high quality, although the cardboard back was a little damaged. However, don't pay over $6 for this because staples only sell them for $5.75 each
VINE VOICEon August 10, 2014
Color: Orange|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I prefer this size and style notebook for my own writing. Sometimes I use sketchbooks, especially for creative projects, but for straight forward writing projects, I like to write by hand in a notebook. Then I do my editing when I am transferring it to a word document. If I don’t do both, I tend to get lazy and not edit.

This notebook has a pleasing bright orange color and it has solid pockets that are not likely to tear on a page before the lined pages. I like to have a folder there to keep notes and outlines of what I am working on. Otherwise, I will end up just closing the notebook with them in front and at some point, they will get scattered.

I like the nice touches Mead does, like to loop over the end of the spiral so it won’t get caught in a purse or backpack. It is always well made.
VINE VOICEon August 8, 2014
Color: Orange|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll admit it, I'm partial to these Five Star notebooks. I love the plastic covers (because they are durable). I love the little pockets (even though they inevitably tear). And, the paper has an appropriate thickness that one can use both sides if one uses a ballpoint pen. Now, while I am not a fan of exposed metal spiral biding, these do tend to stay intact is the user can refrain from playing with them.

My one wish would be that the colors were less drab. When I ordered this orange, I thought it might be a nice pop of color. But this is a muted, pumpkin color. It's okay, it's just not that saturated orange that I thought I saw in the photo.

Color aside, Five Star makes the most spectacular notebooks for college/high school. You know you love them, so buy it already!