Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2012 12:10:37 AM PST
JJ350 says:
Couldn't help but to think of that when I saw the $100 $ony is charging for memory.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 12:59:16 AM PST
Colin says:
you should have seen the price for a 1GB pro duo back in the day when it first came out

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 1:09:09 PM PST
JJ350 says:
This isn't 2005, flash memory is very cheap these days. Just because something was expensive at one point in time, doesn't justify overcharging for it at a later point in time.

If you need an example, you can get 32GB of SD memory for around $35. Sony is charging over 200% markup.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 2:57:22 PM PST
Ivan says:
hopefully a SD to vita SD adapter for 2dollars will be released. Or sandisk will make some vita mem cards for half the price of sonys current high overpriced ones.
The only thing preventing regular SD cards being used in the vita is the shape of the card slot of the vita

Wait for price drops of both to happen imo.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 7:48:20 AM PST
C. Riccio says:
@jj350, while I agree that the memory cards are overpriced, it's not 200%
Lexar High-Speed MicroSDHC 32GB Flash Memory Card with Reader LSDMI32GBSBNAR
That's the comparison. So just over 100%
Still... they should be cheaper... This is a way for Sony to make up for the hit they are taking on the system itself since they are selling it for $250 (likely way below cost).

@Ivanhoe
I was hoping this too, but the problem is that micro sd cards are not much smaller than the vita memory cards. I'm not sure if they physically can make an adapter. Would love to see it though.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 5:15:36 PM PST
M. Henzel says:
Well this is Sony we are talking about.. The same company that is still charging $20 for an 8MB PS2 memory card. That's MB as in MEGABYTES...

I love Sony, but they need to stop price gauging on the proprietary memory. What was wrong with SDMicro? It's now less than $1/GB.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 8:31:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2012 8:32:45 PM PST
>>Well this is Sony we are talking about..<<

People conveniently forget that Microsoft sold their *propietary* hard drives for the fat 360 for **5 times** what a regular SATA laptop hard drive of the same capacity sold for... (you know, the same hard drives the PS3 uses.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 8:36:01 PM PST
>>The same company that is still charging $20 for an 8MB PS2 memory card. That's MB as in MEGABYTES...<<

Those cards have been long discontinued by Sony and whatever prices you see come from third party sellers.

Oh, and:

PS2 Memory Card 128MB

$6 bucks

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 8:35:18 AM PST
C. Riccio says:
Their reasoning for not using SD cards is so that they could control the consistency of the developer and user experience since there are so many different speeds of SD cards.

The reason is understandable to an extent. The first hard drive replacement I did for my PS3, I mistakenly got one that had less cache than the HD it came with and I saw the negative effect with load times and especially with video play back off the disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 12:05:52 PM PST
G Raposas says:
You are contradicting yourself with that and your title. A PS3 back in 2006 costed about $850 to make and they were being sold at $600.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 8:39:01 PM PST
Fred says:
Sandisk is the cheapest garbage, I was on a waiting list for the original PSP yellow 1GB sticks, they were over $100 when released, mine died within 2 years, crap memory. Sony sells much more reliable memory and it's worth the money. Out of 3 PSP Sandisk memory sticks the only one that still works is my blue 2GB stick which is the last one i purchased and I don't rely on it for serious media since it might die any moment. My old PS2 and PS1 memory cards all still work perfectly lol. I bought the 32GB Sony card and I'm going to be ready to rock and roll on Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 3:16:55 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 2, 2012 3:37:06 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 3:57:53 PM PST
B.E.B. says:
To all you complainers...if you can't afford the Vita, or its memory cards, or its games, or its [fill in the blank], you have my sympathy. However, complaining about it isn't going to make Sony lower its prices. Apple doesn't lower its prices if you don't like them, Microsoft doesn't, [fill in the blank] doesn't either.

You have two options;
1) Suck it up and pay the price to enjoy the entertainment these devices provide.
2) Keep whining and making yourself bitter and miserable while others are enjoying their Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 11:03:51 PM PDT
Jorge Al says:
*Nods* I so agree B.E.B!!!

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 12:21:46 PM PDT
look at it this way...if Sony would have included a 32GB HDD in the Vita I guarantee you the price would be $100 higher. The Vita itself is priced very reasonably and I would even go so far as to say Sony is making only a minimal profit on each one, the memory makes up for that. I paid $300 for my Vita, I would have paid $400 for a Vita with 32GB built in so I would say the price is justified. Once the cost of components for the Vita comes down and Sony's profit margins are bigger on each unit sold we will see the memory cards drop in price.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 10:59:26 AM PDT
and i paid $600 for the vita, insurance, 32 gb, games, psn card, protection cases, and screen protectors...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 1:52:43 PM PDT
mjc0961 says:
And that makes it okay for Sony to do the same thing with their memory cards? No, it doesn't. (yes, this card is **5 times** what a regular class 4 Micro SD card of the same capacity sells for. $20 * 5 = $100, which is the cost of the class 4 Vita memory card)

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 10:26:47 PM PDT
Jesse Ikawa says:
The proprietary memory card was made because the PSP was hacked to death. If you want to blame this on someone, blame the pirates.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 1:24:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 1:25:39 PM PDT
a.robo says:
Who cares? Lots of companies do this. Bringing in Microsoft doesn't negate the fact that Sony is price gouging. I hate when the subject is A and you talk about B to secure a fanboy response. I don't have an Xbox. Your comment is irrelevant.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 6:56:41 AM PST
- says:
sony win nintendo trash that we can all agree
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation Vita)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (505)