5.0 out of 5 stars Five Ingediant CB is a 5 Star!
I have a very fussy eater in my family(DH), but of all the things I have made(` 20)- he has eaten them all! I appreciate the ease of assembly and the fact that most of the ingrdiants are things that most of us have in our pantries- no trips to the store for some exotic ingedient! Some of the best money I've spent in a long time ! Sue in Northern NV
Published on February 6, 2007 by Suzanne M. Banholzer

2.0 out of 5 stars You can only eat so much cream soup!
I noticed immediately that any recipe that could be made a meal contains AT LEAST one can of cream soup. Some needed even 2-3 cans of coup and especially when you are only using 5 ingredients, thats alot! not to mention you dont need a cookbook to give you 30 variations of cream soups, chicken, salt and pepper!
there just isnt anything creative at all, just recipes...
Published on April 21, 2009 by Alexandria Albrecht

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Ingediant CB is a 5 Star!, February 6, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Newlyweds!!, April 20, 2007
This review is from: Fix-it and Forget-it 5-Ingredient Favorites: Comforting Slow Cooker Recipes (Paperback)
Since I have been married I have fallen in love with my Crock-Pot! We both work and it is just the most wonderful thing to come home in the evening and already have dinner ready to go. Sometimes it just doesn't seem worth the effort to cook for just the two of us, but the Crock Pot always makes it just SO easy. Using my Crock-Pot has saved us SO much money by not eating out, and the ingredients that this book calls for are very inexpensive for the most part. It is also much healthier than eating out several nights a week. The best part of this book is that you can always find a recipe that sounds great and you have all the stuff that you need for it in the house. Really, all it takes is five minutes in the morning to throw it all in the Crock-Pot and then you have a great dinner! I almost always just put the meat in there straight from the freezer and just add an hour or so of cooking time. This would be a great gift for a shower or housewarming. Overall, it is a very simple book that always produces tasty and healthy dinners.

2.0 out of 5 stars You can only eat so much cream soup!, April 21, 2009
there just isnt anything creative at all, just recipes very close to the ones on the back of the soup cans (but with less ingredients) altered for the slow cooker instead of the oven. everything needs a great deal more seasoning as well.
The recipes are somewhat tasty and filling, but they are all so similar that I never use the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love easy recipes., February 6, 2007
I have a newborn, and time isn't easy to come by, but this book takes a few seconds just throw your ingredients in the Crock Pot and set it! There are recipes for everyone in here, even if you are a picky eater!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not necessarily for seniors/older boomers, July 3, 2011
I'd love to critique the recipes, but I cannot. The text is a pale brick color, with pale blue highlighting, and my aging eyes simply cannot read it. Note to cookbook designers: people are multi-tasking when referring to recipes (Task #1: read recipe; Task #2: cook), so for heaven's sake design the book so that the recipes are legible for eyes of most ages. For this reason alone, sadly, this book was a waste of my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars My dream come true!, May 16, 2007
I am not one who enjoys the kitchen. I have a few other five ingredient cook books which are very well used and then I came across this one and it is my new favorite! It has about 400 recipes and is very well organized. If you want beef, pork, ham, vegies, whatever.... it's in it's own section. There are no pictures, but it's all very well wtitten with basic ingredients. Not to mention the recipes are very tasty! If you don't have the time for the kitchen, or you just don't enjoy cooking, this is the book for you!

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Help for the Slow Cooker Challenged, March 14, 2007
Fix-it and Forget-It:

5-Ingredient Favorites/

Comforting Slow-Cooker Recipes

By Phyllis Pellman Good

Reviewed by: Marty Martindale

This is an interesting collection of more than 700 recipes gathered by Good from home cooks all over the country, said to be, "flexible, forgiving and absolutelyt scrumptious." It's a great book for busy young people who've never really learned to cook and need to stick to a budget.

Good has set herself up with firm ground rules for the use of the term, "5 ingredients." First water doesn't count as an ingredient, salt and pepper count for only one, optional ingredients do not count against the 5. Also things "served with" do not count, as well.

She hastens to offer the fuller the slow cooker, the longer the cook time, so also is it this way with densely-packed contents and large chunks.

Each recipe has a heading which includes home cook's name, number of servings, preparation time, cooking time and ideal slow cooker size for amounts given.

* Mountain Bike Soup: Chicken broth, V/8, barley, pepperoni and green beans

* Chili-Taco Soup: Stew meat, stewed tomatoes, taco seasoning mix, pinto beans and whole-kernel corn

* Greek Chicken Pita Filling: Chopped onion, chicken thighs, lemon pepper, oregano and yogurt

* No-Peeking Beef Tips: Stew meat, onion soup mix, lemon-lime soda and cream of mushroom soup

* Reuben Casseroled: Corned beef, Sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, Thousand Island dressing and stuffing mix

* Fruity Meatballs: Frozen meatballs, brown sugar and crushed pineapple with its juice

* Pork and Sweet Potatoes: Loin chops, Salt and pepper, sweet potatoes, onions and apple cider

* Tangy Port Tenderloin: Add honey, Dijon mustard chili powder and salt

* Creamy Cooker Dinner: Shredded cheese, uncooked macaroni, milk mushroom soup and cooked meat

* Corn Pudding: sugar, cornstarch, beaten eggs, evaporated milk and cream-style corn

* Flavorful Fruited Rice: Onion, long-grain rice, chicken broth, dried cranberries and dried apricots

* Mushrooms in Red Wine: Garlic, onion, olive oil and red wine.

* Hot Ground Beef Dip: Beef, Velveeta, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and diced green pepper

* Mexican Cheese Dip: Velveeta, taco seasoning and canned tomatoes with green chilies

* Revved-Up Chili Dip: Salsa, canned chili with beans, ripe olives and American cheese

* Peanut Butter Cake: Yellow cake mix, crunchy peanut butter and water

* Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding: skim milk, long-grain rice, sugar, salt, melted butter and raisins

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy recipes, great variety, May 6, 2007
Liz C (Chattanooga, TN United States) - See all my reviews
It's so easy to find a great recipe using only ingredients you have on hand since ALL the recipes are 5 ingredients or less. Other books I've seen that promised recipes with few ingredients filled half the book with regular, longer recipes. If you want to use your slow cooker and not spend a lot of time pre-planning and shopping, buy this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much Velvetta, January 6, 2009
I bought this for my graduate student daughter along with a slow cooker she wanted. I thought this would be the perfect companion for the slow cooker since her time is so limited. While there are many very good sounding recipes quite a few use Velvetta - not the healthiest of choices. In retrospect I think I should have gotten the "Fix-it & Forget-it Healthy" cook book instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!!, November 6, 2007
I have a newborn, a two year old, hate to cook and am a picky eater. Because of all of these things I love this book! I just do not have the time to make meals that take up a ton of time to prepare with a newborn on my hip and a two year old tugging on my pant leg. I love this book because it makes everything so simple yet delicious. We usually have leftovers with these recipes which is a double bonus! If you do not like "simple" meals as opposed to elaborate meals that involve numerous ingredients then this book is NOT for you. Five out of Six meals have been a hit with my family and friends. Not bad

Fix-it and Forget-it 5-Ingredient Favorites: Comforting Slow Cooker Recipes