Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fix, Freeze, Feast: The Delicious, Money-Saving Way to Feed Your Family
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 5, 2008
My mom discovered this book a few weeks ago. We thought it sounded like a great idea, so we jumped on board. We recently had a marathon day where we made 5 recipes all at once. The recipes really are simple and easy to put together so this was not overwhelming at all. We loved that we each (me, my mom, and my sister) left with 5 complete meals ready to be frozen and taken out whenever we need it. I've already found that having a frozen meal ready to take out of the freezer any day I don't feel like cooking is so fabulous!!! And it's a delicious no-work meal to boot!! I did discover that for many of the recipes, it's best to take out of the freezer and put into the fridge the night before. This allows more marinating time, which adds much more flavor. The pdf labels provided online are great and so easy to print on paper and adhere fully with packing tape right to the bag. I've found that actual labels don't stick to the bag for long in the harsh freezer conditions. Save yourself some money and just use regular paper and tape. All in all a great find and well worth the $10.00+ investment for the time-saving it provides.
on November 27, 2007
I know you're thinking to much prep time but trust me these books are wonderful! I purchased the first book these ladies published over a year ago. I'm not really a prep and freeze type so I ended up putting it in the book shelf and forgot about it. Well last January I was desperate for new ideas and easy dinners so I pulled it out. Let me just say, I still use their recipes for almost all my week-night dinners!

In about a half hour you get a full flavored home cooked meal that's healthy and tastey enough that even my two kids say YUM to almost everything I have served. Those of you who have pickey children know that this alone is worth the purchase price! I can't say enough good things about the recipes and the amount of thought and detail these ladies put into these books. They've done everything but cook the meal for you. Thanks!!!
on May 28, 2008
I bought this book after hearing about it on the ManicMommies podcast. I was hesitant to make 3 meals at once in case my family and I didn't like them. But lately, I haven't had time to think about that as my life has gotten too crazy. I realize now that I had nothing to worry about. After trying each dish, I wish that I had made more, not less. Everything is so delicious and takes just a few basic ingredients that are easy to find. I have found that I can make some of the meals in less than 20 minutes! Also, I have two picky food critics at home -- two little girls who have a hand signaling system that rates my meals after one bite. After each of the recipes that I have tried, I have gotten a "Best in the World" rating. No more yucky faces! Hooray! I can't recommend this book enough. It has completely changed meal times from stressful to fun.
on December 29, 2011
Like others, I purchased this book to make my life easier during busy periods - all while staying on a reasonable budget. I live alone but entertain often, so I adapted the book to my needs.

The book has a nice variety of entrees, which has made me realize I can probably freeze many of my own recipes. I must give it praise for expanding my horizons around freezer-friendly foods. Deboned trim meats seem to be the trick for meats. Packaging of crispy elements and wet items into separate small bags placed in a larger bag also helps with plan ahead meals. And portion sizes are, for the most part, scalable. Many of the recipes make three meals that feed 3-4 people. Halving a recipe can make three meals for 1-2 OR 1Meal to feed 3-4 and another that will feed 1-2. Labeling clearly makes it easy to distinguish one from another.

Regarding the recipes and comments from a few reviewers on blandness
Ingredients are a little on the salty side for my taste so I cut back on the bouillon granules and salt. To compensate, I use lower sodium broth in place of other liquids to compensate. I do a some gourmet cooking and realized that this cookbook would be one I turn to for practicality and concept. It focuses me on items such as rainy days, unexpected visitors in town, family emergencies ad convenience. So I accept that I need to tweak several of the sauces. As with regular cooking, taste the sauce/food before freezing. Flavors do intensify when freezing so focus on flavor balance - realize the overall intensity should be a little less full
than if you were eating it right then. So far, for the 6 recipes I have tried, I've been able to prepare tasty meals by simply adding more or less of the ingredients listed. I really like the tequila-lime chicken.
on May 3, 2008
Fix Freeze Feast is FANTASTIC. The recipes are easy to follow, don't take much time as most of them require you to freeze raw meat, and the books itself is full of extra information to make it an interesting read. I have been doing freezer cooking for years and have read most of the books available on the topic. The only problem that I've ever had with the other books is that the recipes tend to be bland. We like food with a bit more flavour and this book does not disappoint.

We have tried Pork Ragout, Peanut Satay, Cashew Chicken, Mozzarella Meatballs, Chicken Broccoli Bake and Vegetable Lasagna. All were excellent and I can't wait to try some of the others!

This book is well worth the investment of $10. Buy it because you won't be disappointed.
on April 1, 2012
This is a great book. My husband has been the cook in our family and now that his health is not as good as it used to be, I am returning to the kitchen. Although I am only cooking for two and this book is designed for a family, it is easy to adjust the portions. Every recipe I have tried has been a winner. I bought several other "Fix and Freeze" type cookbooks, but I am donating the others to the library (after copying a few recipes)because this book is all I need. The Red Sauce recipe if great.
My adult children are comparing the sauce to what I used to make when they were children. Back then I grew my own tomatoes, reduced the sauce to paste and spent hours in the kitchen on my "Signature Sauce". Now I have a freezer full of easy, delicious sauce and main dishes.
on January 14, 2011
FIX, FREEZE, FEAST is perfect for those folks with memberships to bulk warehouse clubs. Have you ever found yourself in the following scenario?

Setting: bulk warehouse with money to burn

You, talking to yourself: Oh wow, the chicken breasts are on special! I could get four meals out of the package for only 12-bucks. I could marinate some, then have the others grilled, roasted, baked, stir-fried... (you add the package to your cart) I'm already here and they may not be this cheap again, I may as well get TWO packages.

(hours later, your home, unloading the groceries)

You, talking to yourself out loud this time: Shoo, I'm tired and it's almost dinner time. What the hell am I REALLY going to do with all this chicken?

Scene.

Well, FIX, FREEZE, FEAST makes it very easy to get you on your way to organizing interesting and family pleasing meals that will be ready for you on those busy nights when you need a short cut.

Contents of this book include:

* Warehouse Shopping, Family Cooking
* Becoming a Warehouse Gourmet
* Chicken Main Dishes
* Beef Main Dishes
* Pork Main Dishes
* Meatless Mains, Sides, and Soups
* Sauces, Marinades, and Flavored Butters
* Breakfast, Snacks, and Sweets (This section is my favorite, so far.)
* Branching Out

The recipes are interesting and simple to bring together. I would definitely read through the book BEFORE shopping. Occasionally, there are recipes that call for ingredients most of us don't commonly keep on hand, such as dried sweet cherries. Thankfully, those aren't hard to find.

The directions are easy to follow and because we're assembling meals for later there are clear directions as to how to prepare the meal when it's time to eat. The authors even go so far as to provide labels you can download onto your computer that format to Avery labels, and labels you can edit yourself. Oh, and of course there's freezer labels you could copy right out of the book and tape onto the freezer containers. They've done well to give us plenty of choices.

After going through all the delicious sounding recipes, I really got a kick out of reading the section called Branching Out. These pages covered how to adapt your own recipes and what to be careful of when doubling recipes. That's followed by Community Cooking Options and covers how to start a cooking club, a cooking co-op, food as a service, and food as a ministry.

Want an idea of the types of recipes included in the book? Here's a short list out of the 125 recipes offered.

* Cherry Skillet Chicken
* Breakfast Burritos
* Granola
* Very Vanilla Snickerdoodles
* Lemon-Lavender Butter Cookies

I told you the recipes were delicious sounding. I wouldn't hesitate to make any of these dishes for my family.

The only displeasure I draw from this book, and it has nothing to do with the recipes, is the formatting. Maybe, it's just the age of my eyes. Well truthfully, it is the age of my eyes. Storey Publishing could have made the font size one point size larger and the color darker. The layout of the recipe is great! Don't misunderstand. I have no problems following along, I just have to play trombone while I'm reading.

I totally recommend this book to everyone that enjoys bulk shopping. FIX, FREEZE, FEAST offers time saving advice, organization to an already crazy life schedule, and sets our mind at ease that we can have fresh exciting meals anytime out of our busy week.
on August 14, 2011
This book has some great things and some things that could really be improved.
I'll start with the pluses
1. The ingredients are easy to find and can be bought in bulk and used many times.
2. The book has great tips on how to shop, organize, and prepare for the assembly of the freezer meals.
3. It can save you $.
4. The recipes are varied enough to appeal to different tastes(curries, casseroles, etc).
5. I really like the sauces and could see myself using these often.
6. The book has easy to copy cooking directions at the back of the book so you can copy them and adhere to your freezer bags. NOTE: if you get an electronic version of the book you will loose this feature.

Things that could be improved.
1. There is a lack of side dishes and vegetarian meals.
2. All the recipes are aimed to use about six pounds of meat at one time, making a lot of the same thing. I did try to half the recipes and use three pounds to get two types of meals but it was troublesome to figure the proportions. It would be nice if they had variables for 3-6-9 servings etc.
3. I found it time consuming to cook the meat, then the sauce and wait for it to cool. I think they could add some time-saving tips. Such as you could make the sauces separately one day refrigerate then cook the meat and assemble.

Overall, I think there was enough interesting information to make the book worth buying, and perhaps supplementing it with another book.
on April 18, 2010
I've tried freezer cooking in the past, and it's never quite been successful enough to maintain it as a lifestyle. This book, however, has totally changed how I look at preparing meals in advance.

I have yet to try a recipe that my family didn't love...after all, how could a recipe called "Sticky Drunk Pig on a Stick" not be a huge hit with the husband and daughter?

Gone are the days when I freeze a casserole that I've already cooked, thaw it out and reheat it. In are the days when I come home, put my entree in the oven and know that everyone will be happy.

Now that I have a stockpike in the freezer, I am able to make two weeks' worth of entrees on a Saturday afternoon, and rotate my meals so no one ever tires of a single dish. I have really reduced my food budget while increasing the quality of food that I feed my family.

I wish I had known about this cookbook years ago!
on May 8, 2012
Bought this book after receiving recommendation. I love that all the ingredients are easy to find and not overly expensive. We are a Penzy household so this was also a plus. I don't know if our household would make three of these meals and then eat them over the course of a month or so, we like variety. Instead my friend and I got together, bought the ingredients and used what was in our pantries and then made 1/3 or a fourth of the recipe and it worked out great. We made 8 meals between the two of us for about $60 a famiily.

To make my life super easy, we made lables with the cooking instructions, temp and time and placed them on the ziploc bags. Helps me plan meals based on how much time we have to cook them and my husband when he is making the meals.

As I said for the inexperienced cook this is great because you do not have a starting place. For the experienced cook this helps you organize your freezer meals and develop your grocery list.