5.0 out of 5 stars Handy Fixes Even If You're Not a Handy Person
Published 18 months ago by Rachel Kramer Bussel

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the exact same book as LEMONS TO LAVENDER
Published 12 months ago by Michelle S

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the exact same book as LEMONS TO LAVENDER, December 6, 2013
This review is from: Fix It, Make It, Grow It, Bake It: The D.I.Y. Guide to the Good Life (Paperback)
It isn't that I didn't like the book. The problem is, it is pretty much verbatim, Lemons and Lavender. I started reading it, and couldn't figure out why it sounded so familiar. I put both books side by side and lo and behold, it is the exact same thing! The titles are the same, the stories and info are the same in each. I don't see any indication that Lemons and Lavender was re released under this new title. I cannot understand why it wasn't in the description that this is the exact same book just a different title. Complete waste of money if you already have Lemons. I don't see how this can happen with no indication that the book is word by word the exact same!! I don't know if I am missing a warning that they are the same book with different titles, but nowhere on the book do I see that information.Very disappointed in the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy Fixes Even If You're Not a Handy Person, June 3, 2013
I wasn't sure whether I, who loves microwaveable meals and am not very handy, would find this book helpful, but I was very happy to discover that you don't need to be a whiz around the house to utilize Billee Sharp's tips. She's got everything for natural remedies for aches, pains and colds (the essential oils section is wonderful!) as well as easy recipes and tips on making your own sea salt scrubs, household cleaners and more. She breaks down the art of budgeting (yes, I consider it an art) and provides simple steps so that you can start almost anywhere in your home and do a little here or there. Her tips on utilizing the gift economy and details on how to score free entertainment and repurpose all sorts of items are practical and simple, and helped me see the topic a little differently. Rather than feeling like I have to overhaul my entire way of life to live more simply, I can take small steps toward using items I already have (like weights - there's even a prison workout in here!) and making the most of new purchases.

5.0 out of 5 stars useful information, July 23, 2012
Ever since reading this book, I have found myself using many of the tips in the book, especially for cleaning. There are many great suggestions for saving money and being less wasteful and harmful to the environment. I often refer back to chapters for recipes and instructions. I also got a lot of new ideas for creating artwork and crafts!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fix it, Make it, Grow it, Bake it to go green1, April 16, 2011
The first thing I thought when I started reading through this book is "Boy, I wish someone had given this to me when I got married!" There are so many things in here that I really wish I had know in those first few years of marriage and living on my own! It includes everything from how to fix a toilet leak to how to grow your own lettuce and so much more. To lead a truly ecofriendly life, you really need to learn how to fix things, make things, grow things and bake things...all topics that are covered in Billie Sharp's book. The first few chapters focus on things like reevaluating your budget and changing your way of thinking. If you are a passionate buyer of cheap plastic things, you have to get out of that mindset before learning to enjoy the simple things like gardening and making your own bread!

The book is organized in such a way that all the gardening info is contained in one chapter, all the cleaning recipes are together, etc. I do think that an index in the back of the book would be helpful so if you are looking for a SPECIFIC idea (How do I make pickles? for example) you could find it a little easier. Another option would be to put sub chapters in the beginning of the book.

Fix It, Make It, Grow It, Bake It is a very easy to read and useful book to have on your bookshelf. If you know a college grad moving out on their own or someone who is getting married, this would make a great gift. Just about anyone looking to go green, save money, and get healthier will benefit from this book. Inspire someone to go green by learning to fix, make, bake and grow things for themselves! Learning to do these things will lead to a healthier, greener, and more frugal life!

Disclaimer: As per FTC guidelines, I received one copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I received no monetary compensation. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars All In One Resource For Your Home, June 28, 2011
As I've gone further down the road to healthy, homemade living, the next step for me was making my own cleaning supplies. That's why I was so happy to receive Fix It, Make It, Grow It, Bake It by Billee Sharp to review. Although, this book is about so much more than cleaning supply recipes. It's "the DIY guide to the good life" with info on essential oil remedies, kitchen cures, crafting project how-to's, composting tips, jam recipes, and much more. This is an essential, practical resource to have in your home. I love it because it eliminates me doing a Google search to find something. It's all in this one book.

After using the cleaning supply recipes, I was so happy that I was washing my hands only because I had just cleaned the bathroom and not to get questionable chemicals off my hands. I would definitely recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars still reading it, January 8, 2011
I am still reading this but so far I have found a few ideas I would have never come up with on my own. A very interesting book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, July 1, 2013
Dumb. Mostly tips you can find elsewhere or online, and really disorganized. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

Fix It, Make It, Grow It, Bake It: The D.I.Y. Guide to the Good Life