4.0 out of 5 stars Fix-It Utilities

Published on June 24, 2012 by R. Clark

1.0 out of 5 stars A Waste Of Hard Drive Space And Money, June 24, 2012
R. Clark (Northeast Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
This review is for,"Avanquest Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional" First off I should have looked up any problems this program may be having. If you do a Google search for problems,you'll see there really isn't any real good solutions to problems,users are having with this. I installed the full version of this,it does give you options to choose what you want to load. After I started the program I wanted to download the latest updates and virus definitions. Told me it couldn't connect to get updates,ok server was busy or something,at 2am in the morning? Finally after several tries and a day or so later,I was able to download the updates. Right away I noticed my shut down time nearly tripled,so I checked the registry for any changes in the line for my shut down values,couldn't find any changes there. Then I ran all the utilities in this program. There are 3 barrels that tells you your computers health,but one was reading only 38%. Why was that I thought,after I had just ran all the utilities? So I did a Google search,sure enough it seems other users were having the same problem. None of the 2 answers users received worked to change the 38% reading in the barrel. I didn't see a real improvement in my Windows 7,Triple Core laptop so I decided this program was wasting space on my hard drive and decided to delete it. No problem,Control Panel and uninstall program right? NOT! It couldn't proceed with removing this hard drive waster of a program,because of background programs still running. So I checked for any "Avanquest Fix It utilities" programs running and shut them down,now I can delete this right? NOT! To end this review,I'll tell you how to delete this. Boot in to Safe Mode of your computer. Go to the programs files (X86)folder where you will find the folder for this program,rename it old or whatever you like. Reboot in to regular mode and manually remove the folder you renamed. An error will come up maybe after you delete this folder,saying it couldn't find it. Run Ccleaner and the registry cleaner that's in it. This should remove any further error messages. But after finally figuring out how to delete this my shut down time was still triple as it once was. You can restore to an earlier version of Windows 7,which some people may ask why I didn't do that in the first place? Because I feel that still would have left pieces of this program in my registry,slowing my laptop down. It was due time for me to do a clean install of Windows 7 and now my laptop is once again running like new.

Update: I noticed some people using this program and giving it high ratings said,oh people using this program don't know computers or how to use this program properly? Well without doing a Google search I was able to find the line in my registry showing my shut down values and figured out how to finally delete this garbage of a program. Making me believe the higher rating reviews are paid endorsements? I don't consider myself a computer expert,but I certainly know my way around. Don't waste your money on this,even if it's at a bargain price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Program that does the opposite off what you buy it for, January 5, 2012
Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional
After installation some of my other programs didn't work anymore. My computer started to freeze when starting certain programs and the only way to reboot my computer was by pressing the power button to force a shutdown. In addition, the program slowed down the performance of my computer rather than improving it. I had to uninstall the program and reinstall some of my other programs. I wouldn't buy this program again.

1.0 out of 5 stars SAVE YOUR MONEY--IT IS A WASTE, April 29, 2012
This review is from: Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
Purchased and installed and made a total mess of my system. Not able to get it straightened out, even with their tech support(?), folks. All they did was send me a link to remove any remnants of old program and made problems worse than ever. Had to do several power off re-boots and grab f keys to get to a position to wipe it out. Wasted money and much wasted time, which is extremely important to me.
Could not advise anyone to purchase this piece of software, unless they are looking for big problems. Also noticed, which I should have checked before I purchased, that NOBODY, has rated this program as something good for internet security. Running windows 7 home premium on 64/32 bit system and will not purchase any of their programs in the future.
THIS REVIEW IS SUPPOSED TO BE FOR "SYSTEM SUITE" BY AVANQUEST, AND NOT FOR FIX-IT UTILITIES 11 OR 12!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fix-It Utilities, November 29, 2011
This review is from: Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After some tinkering and patience, I feel this is an excellent product for those seeking computer maintenance. I consider myself an advanced computer user. While keeping your computer clean should have the same focus as keeping your room clean.....most people allow their computer to get cluttered. This results in them purchasing another computer, taking it to a computer repair store, doing nothing, as concluding "that's just the way a computer works."

Clutter or lack of maintenance creates many issues. The most common is a sluggish or computer which responds slow. Lately, several companies have popped up which specialize in computer maintenance, particularly being able to troubleshoot your issues from a remote location. Also, lately, Staples, Office Max, Office Depot and others have started to offer computer repairs.

If your issue is a sluggish computer or you are looking for basic software which allows YOU to do the maintenance yourself, you will like this product. Many companies offer a "free" diagnostic, which sounds good, but only informs you what the problems are. To fix the computer typically runs $100 - $500, and that is just to get your computer back up to speed.

This product should solve most problems as you receive a diagnostic report of WHY your computer is running slow, or other issues but THE PRODUCT ALLOWS YOU TO FIX THE ISSUES FROM YOUR COMPUTER, as that is part of the product.

One downside was it took me 3 times and literally leaving my computer running for at least 48 hours straight. Admittedly, it product informed me of many issues. Unfortunately the diagnostic doesn't tell you how long it will take for the repair to complete. I eventually figured a way to complete all the repairs and as I am writing this review, my four year old Toshiba shows renewed life. A good product if you have immediate issues or if you are seeking to have something as back up so you can incorporate a regular maintenance schedule. Oh yes, the software allows you to use it for up to 5 computers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Windows no longer starts, November 23, 2012
Rich Hoy (Sahuarita, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
I bought this to try to improve my computer's performance, but now Windows won't start. I guess following this program's recommendations of having it fix several dozen registry issues and removing two unneeded start-up programs was a bad idea. So was buying the program in the first place. Save your money and your computer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away!, August 19, 2012
This review is from: Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
Buy one of their product once and the will hound with special offer E-mails twice a day for the rest of your life! Unsubscribing from their mailing list does no good, the SPAM just keeps coming!

9/23/2012 Several more SPAM E-mails this week! It never freaking ends!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from any Avanquest product!, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
Avanquest is one of the worst software companies I have ever encountered. They sell buggy software, refuse to acknowledge any problems, they will ignore your letters and then want you to pay for upgrades. I got conned by their hype and bought a couple of their products. By the time I realized how buggy the software was, it was too late to return them. Then I get an email which essentially said I could buy a new version that might fix the bugs. Why should I have to pay for something to fix the bugs? I emailed them repeatedly and they did a great job of ignoring me and repeatedly asking what the problem was, I then realized they were just laughing at me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this. Waste of money., November 26, 2012
This review is from: Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
I bought Fix-It Utilities 12 Pro because my computer was running slow, taking a minute or so to attach a picture to an email. I did the download and bought the $9.99 CD. I had problems from the start with the download install, so I uninstalled it and patiently waited until I got the CD in the mail and re-installed it from the CD. After installing it, the computer (XP Pro) ran so slow, it took 42 minutes to attach a picture to an email. I'm going to try to get my money back.

I couldn't post this until I rated it. It doesn't deserve a star.

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought it installed a virus on my computer, September 1, 2012
This review is from: Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
I installed this, ran it, rebooted my computer and when it started up I was locked out of everything. My programs didn't show up. I thought my whole hard disk and backup drive had been erased. I was even locked out of my CD drive so I couldn't use the repair disk. After a while of trying everything I could and seeing many errors, I figured out the problem. Somehow this program has erased my Windows authorization data. Windows does not run properly if it thinks it is not a genuine copy and my proof that it was genuine had been erased. Fortunately, I found that the restore option still worked and I had a backup from the previous day. Even the restore didn't fix everything: the Windows Update no longer works, so I may have to reinstall Windows and reload all my programs eventually. Do not buy this product; it has no clue what to delete and what not to.

For what it's worth, I used fix-it all the time on my XP computer and I loved it; but that was an earlier version. I do know better than to mess with things the program tells me to leave alone. I only go with its recommendations. Up till now that has worked fine, but not this time. I can't imagine what happened to this one-time excellent product. If they patch it so it leaves the Windows files alone, I'd be willing to try it again. Until they do, it's best to leave it alone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Software, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
I purchased Fix-It Utilities Professional in a store for $19.99. The box did not say that this program was only good for 10 or 15 days. I was told by Avanquest that I did not have any pc protection and that I had to download the program again for $39.99. Avanquest customer service gave me a phone number to talk to Technical support. The phone number was a bogus phone number. This program installed malware on my hard drive which was causing many problems when I went on line. I was able to decipher the error message I repeatedly got when I went on line, I wrote the error message in its entirety. I discovered that the problem was related to "Babylon" I uninstalled Babylon and I resolved my problem. I have a software that leaves no traces in the system when you uninstall a nuisance download. I feel that the store that sells this product is just as culpable for not checking out a product before they sell it. I purchase Webroot at amazon.com and I find so far that it is a great product.

Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional [Old Version]
Fix-It Utilities 12 Professional [Old Version] by Avanquest (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$39.99 $6.72