5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Solution to Back Pain!
This series is BRILLIANT! I have noticed a huge difference in just one week. Who would have guessed that a lot of my back issues had to do with tight hamstrings (back of the thighs)!

Published on December 21, 2010 by Lance A.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but very vague
Published 13 months ago by Vella Tess

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Solution to Back Pain!, December 21, 2010
Lance A. (Menlo Park, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fixing You: Back Pain: Self-Treatment for Sciatica, Bulging and Herniated Disks, Stenosis, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses. (Paperback)

Olderman's book guides you through diagnosing yourself and then provides targeted corrective exercises. A fantastic bonus is that the book includes a code so you can access excellent videos on his website demonstrating the various diagnostics and exercises. This is especially helpful because he provides commentary during the videos that helps keep you on track to make sure you are doing each exercise correctly. Usually I try the exercises just from the book first, and then I watch the videos to refine my technique (which, before watching the videos, usually includes multiple mistakes!).

He also explains just enough anatomy (with excellent diagrams) that I feel empowered to figure out what's going on with my body on the fly. For example, I often feel back pain while I am driving (yes I need a new car), and today I noticed that I could stretch my hamstrings just by tipping my pelvis forward at red lights. I felt so much better!

I am so grateful for this book. This, along with 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back by Esther Gokhale, are probably the 2 best back books out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have sciatica, BUY THIS BOOK! Updated 7/2013, August 3, 2012
An update: A year after studying Rick's book and relentlessly following his advice, I have my life back! I can go and do whatever I need to - gardening, walking, bending, lifting, etc. without pain! I now know what I was doing wrong all those years before. Don't give up - persevere in changing bad movement habits and FIX YOURSELF!
Original review:
I've been without those sciatica "zingers" down the back into the legs for about two weeks now. I'm not totally free of pain in the morning, but a few stretches, some ice, and I am pain-free all day. WOW! And I thought I was headed for a wheelchair! Being in pain for over a year, I've spent money on doctors, physical therapy, aquatics therapy, exercise videos, pain medication, etc. and was still thinking as the pains shot down the back of my legs, "What am I doing wrong?" Rick's inexpensive little book has the list of questions for self-diagnosis, the explanations of the anatomy of possible causes of pain, the clear instructions for easy stretches to alleviate the pain, free accompanying videos on his website that demonstrate proper self-diagnosis and treatment, and he even answers email questions promptly. PRICELESS! Don't go to a surgeon until you try the easy self-treatments in this book! Research shows that surgery may only create new pain. Rick will explain why. Who knew?! All I had to do was change the way I sit, stand, walk, and especially rise to standing from a stooping position, and I'm pain free! The techniques in this book should be taught to all physical therapists. Thanks, Rick. You are a hero!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book, February 9, 2010
This book has excellent visuals and easy to understand explanations of what is usually a complex subject. I have used this book to help myself recover from postpartum back pain. I also use it as a reference for my clients. I teach Pilates for fitness and rehabilitation and I find Rick's movement observations and anatomy explanations extremely helpful. For me, it has opened up a whole new window of looking at back pain. The insights from this book have helped me and many of my clients. I highly recommend this book if you are struggling with back pain or interested in learning more about potential causes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but very vague, October 10, 2013
When I bought the book I expected some specific selections on herniated disks, bulging, etc, but rather I found explnations on various sources of pain, common parts involved and different aspects regarding posturing and others. Not much is focused on providing specific direction to fix/alleviate pain in a bulging or herniated, or descicated disks. Good starting point, but wish there was something more specific as the title states. Also note that this is a tiny book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book for Back Pain, February 18, 2010
I have bought several books for back pain and this is the best. He gives you straight forward advice and it works. I have had back pain for 3 years and have been to several specialist and even had a non-invasive procedure done. The surgery helped some, but still had pain after the surgery. I started doing the exercises a few weeks ago and I am doing much better. I am not 100% yet, but I am finally seeing progress. I even met with Rick using a web cam to make sure I was doing the exercises correctly. If you are planning on purchasing a book about back pain, this is the one to buy.

B. Coleman

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT INFORMATION!, November 24, 2013
If you are suffering from back pain, then I highly recommend this book. Rick does a good job making the distinctions between different sources of back pain and then gives stretches and exercises to specifically address each source. I read and re-read parts of the book to better understand what might be the source of my back pain. If you are like me and not very familiar with anatomy, then there are some new words that you need to learn. The book has a glossary in back with definitions, so that helps along with re-reading sections of the book. After a short while doing some of the stretches, I have already noticed a reduction in my back pain. This is very encouraging to me. In the past, I bought some other books (including "The 7 Minute Back Pain Solution") and I diligently tried to follow the exercises and stretches, but even after a few months of trying it, they did not do much for me. "The 7 Minute Back Pain Solution" book just offers a cookie cutter approach to all back pain and does not distinguish between different sources of the pain and specific ways to address those sources. All the stretches and exercises are the same for all situations in that book. Rick's book was much better to help pinpoint specific causes of back pain. I was also encouraged to read in this book that even with structural damage to the spine, it is still possible to reduce or even eliminate back pain. I even e-mailed Rick to try to get some suggestions for my specific situation and he responded back promptly with more information to try to help me. I was really impressed! He seems to be a caring person who is sincerely trying to help others who are suffering. I also plan to buy his book on hip and knee pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golfers - here is an answer to your back pain!, April 12, 2010
Mel D. Sole (Pawleys Island, SC) - See all my reviews
As a golf instructor I come accross more than 50% of my students having some degree of back pain. Pain reduces range of motion, and in the golf swing this can lead to all sorts of compensatory moves, all of which ruin the ability to swing the club correctly. Rick Oldermans book "Fixing you: Back Pain." is a common sense explanation of not only what causes this pain, but how you the individual can fix this on your own. I will recommend this book to all my students who suffer from any type of back pain. I know this will help their golf game. Thanks Rick.

Mel Sole
Director of Instruction
Phil Ritson - Mel Sole Golf Schools.
[...].

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, February 2, 2012
This is a great book that after 20 years has finally helped me to understand my back problems. It is a quick easy read and the exercises are helpful and easy to follow if you watch the video online that the book will give you access too. I only wish I lived close enough to see him in person! I would so love to listen to him talk about hip/pelvis alignment which is the main source of back pain! Amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Weinberger, February 18, 2010
This book is an incredibly useful tool for assessing and managing back pain. Rick's explanations of body mechanics are very easy to follow and help you understand why you experience pain and how to fix it yourself. I have been teaching pilates for 7 years and I have never seen such a simple, straightforward approach to eliminating back pain. I have seen many dr's, pt's and various other specialists and none of them have broken it down the way Rick does in this book. If you have had trouble with back pain and haven't found a cure, read this book! It is amazing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, March 16, 2012
I herniated discs in my back a couple of years ago and occasionally suffer from sciatica pain. This book was extreme helpful in helping me cope with occasional back pain and easy to read and understand. I am very happy with my purchase!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›