on January 27, 2012
Format: Paperback
I was introduced to Rick Olderman's FixingYou books via an Amazon recommendation. After reading a few paragraphs using the "Look Inside" feature, I decided to give the book a try. I'm hoping to improve some symptoms from standing on one leg over time. A few things I'd like to share about the book:

1) The book is based on current medical research. It is very easy to read. The concepts make a lot of common sense.

2) The anatomy introduced in the book is very informative and not too hard to understand. I felt I got enough information to get on the right track of self help.

3) Rick pointed out some very common problems people have with a couple simple case studies. I once considered the issues unique to me. Now I realize that my case is typical among people of many different trades. And my issues have been corrected successfully.

4) Rick included some simple and effective exercises that really work. Besides verbal explanation and illustrations, he also loaded some online videos for people who purchased the book. This eliminated lots of guess work and errors when doing the exercises.

I highly recommend Rick's book. If you're reading this review, you owe it to yourself to get the book.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2010
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I read half the book and even though Rick advises to read the whole thing before doing the exercises, well, I couldn't help myself...I jumped right in. I did most of the exercises for the first time yesterday. Today I looked at a few of his on-line videos and did all of the exercises in the book. I can't believe how good my neck feels! It hasn't felt this loose and pain-free in many, many years...as far back as I can remember, practically. The concept of my shoulders being responsible for neck pain simply never occurred to me and was never mentioned as a possibility when I tried to get help through chiropractors, massage therapists, orthobionomy practitioners and acupuncturists. I really like the idea of helping myself too...going to all these health care practitioners can get really expensive and very frustrating when they don't "fix" you. I'm not a couch potato and I do stretching every day when I get up, but what with a couple of minor car accidents long ago, and falling down on our rocky terrain while hiking more than a few times, plus some bad posture habits, my whole body has gradually gotten so out of whack I didn't know where to start. Lately I've been constantly gulping down ibuprofen due to almost constant headaches. My neck was at the very least chronically tense, but also usually quite stiff and sore. I'm looking forward to Rick's books that focus on hip problems and shoulder problems because I need both of those too! I've had an extremely painful shoulder for the past month or so due to too much time at the computer, I think. But the exercises in the Neck Pain book have helped this as well.

This book is extremely easy to read and understand. You're given a batch of exercises as well as helpful tips to follow during your daily routine. The videos Rick presents on his website are very clear and well-executed.

Do yourself a favor: get this book and do the exercises. You won't believe the difference it makes. I'm going to recommend it to everyone I know with any problems along this line. In fact, I've already recommended it to three people!
on December 12, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
From this book I learned how certain standing, sitting, and walking habits can grind away cartilage and weaken muscles and joints. By using the movement guidelines presented in this book, my joints feel better and the muscles around the hip and knee joints feel stronger, taking some stress away from the bones.
on March 22, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Have you gone to the doctor and were told that one leg is shorter than the other? And you thought 'how in the world did my leg shrink'? Most likely your hip is out of alignment and the whole problem is muscular. You may be prescribed a heel lift that supposedly fixes everything, but it may make things worse, because now you're adding another issue for your body to deal with and it may even pull out your hip even more (like in my case).

This book explains what's happening with your hips, has some good drawings to explain the issue and some simple exercises. I've had this hip issue (and knee problems) for years and I tried all kinds of stuff, including physical therapy, yoga, pilates etc. This book is what finally took me from frustration to healing. Make no mistake, your hip may be out because of bad habits, or from an injury and the longer you've lived with your problem, the longer it will take to get better. But don't give up! It's so worth it! Besides what's the alternative...

The hardest thing about the healing process is to get rid of bad habits like crossing your legs or standing on one leg, slouching in the chair, sitting uneven etc. But this book will help you identify those and give you positive reinforcement that you can actually fix yourself. A big thank you to the author!!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2009
Format: Paperback
Before I launch into this review I'd like to give some context to my comments, a frame for what follows about what I see as a remarkably helpful break-through approach to pain management and healing:

Context -- As someone who has lived and worked in chronic pain(CP) since 1984 following a botched lumbar fusion (back) surgery, I think I've read more books and articles on the subject than I care to remember, many of them redundant, overly theoretical or simply not helpful to me at all. So I began this book with a jaded eye, a sort of "show me something I don't know" mind-set.But after reading and using two books in this "Fixing You" series by Rick Olderman I felt compelled to spread the word so that more people might take advantage of this substantive yet practical handbook for dealing with specific pain areas. So here goes:

If you or someone you love is in CP then you already know that long-term intractable pain - at any degree of intensity - is a totally different creature than episodic pain. In fact, in my own and many other CP sufferers' cases, what works well for most episodic pain simply does not work for long-term pain. In fact, what works with episodic pain (tooth ache, broken bone etc) when applied to chronic conditions often leads to a whole secondary set of problems. Narcotics are perhaps the best known example of this compounding effect, for in chronic pain cases the dosage must be increased over time to provide the same relief. Then, unless guided by the holistic perspectives such as those of this book, so often CP worsens and leads to depression, sleep disorders, anxiety, suicidal ideation and anger control difficulties and more. It is a hell I would not wish on my worst enemy.

For me, aside from the obvious benefit of exercises which work, the Fixing You series provides a way of thinking which can help the CP sufferer manage the pain and start on a healing process - all by a shift in how one experiences one's own body and movement. This is treated up front in the book(s) before even beginning the physical therapy aspect. The author makes it clear that each person is responsible for their own healing, that how they visualize themselves and how they think about their pain has a direct impact on how well the physical therapy exercises do their healing work.

For me the take-aways of the book are as follows:

1. You own your own healing process, self-awareness may be difficult when racked with pain, but it will be the key to your fixing yourself.

2. Focus on your whole person and not the pain site itself (again, not an easy task).

3. When it comes to healing the body, function trumps structure: meaning that a structural defect on your MRI need not be a final verdict. Rick Olderman's solutions lie in teaching the body more ergonomically correct postures and movement, optimizing the body's innate ability to heal itself.
Another valuable bonus of the Fixing You books is that you can access videos on-line via a password-access website provided when you purchase the book. The style of writing is personable and clear, void of preaching or philosophical verbiage which can often muddle rather than clarify. With these books a CP sufferer has a better understanding of what they must think -- as well as do -- in order to truly fix themselves. Even if your pain is not in the neck or back, this is a must-read for all with chronic pain. Perhaps the biggest problem I have with this book is that Rick is not down the street so that I can visit him when I need to! I give this book five stars!
on October 16, 2009
Format: Paperback
I love this book. It is short, easy to read and has immediately useful suggestions on how to deal with headaches and neck pain. I am a Physical Therapist and a Pilates Instructor who is always looking for ways to help my clients. This book is a gem. I have found it to be a useful tool in helping people understand concepts I studied while getting my Master's....you do not have to have an anatomy or biomechanical background to understand Rick's book. He makes understanding human movement fun and gives people the gift of comprehending how movement works. I recommend this and all of the Fixing You series to those in pain and those who want to understand more about the human body and how it moves.
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
The books in this series deserve WAY BEYOND-- a five star rating.And to say the words "~Thank You~" to Dr. Olderman seems like such an insignificant way of repaying him for his knowledge that is contained within these books!

If you are injured and searching for a quick fix, best of LUCK to you. But, if you want to take charge of your healing, then by all means PUSH the button and ordered these ASAP! I began with the Fixing you Neck Pain and Headaches...and had beyond incredible results that I went and ordered the ENTIRE series! NO Joke. These books make sense, and the results are FANTASTIC----->>>> provided that YOU ----GIVE----- the effort and WORK to do the exercises as stated. and no worries, the videos show you exactly what and how to do it!) When I am done doing the exercises I ice my neck and then put on Penetrex, Penetrex® - The World's #1 Transdermal Anti-Inflammatory Pain Relief Therapy For Treating Tennis Elbow, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis, Plantar Fasciitis, Shin Splints, Etc.and I feel normal. WHICH is HUGE, when you've suffered in pain from,injuries. These books and that Cream should be in the hands of EVERY person suffering from pain in my opinion!

and to, Dr. Olderman, if you read these, Someday I'm going to personally shake your hand for giving me an escape route from surgery. I haven't the words to express my gratitude towards you for the information found within the pages of your books and videos. Thank You seems so insufficient, but,
Sincerely.... I Thank You!
Jennifer Phipps

PS---- Thank you to ALL of the wonderful people who took the time to leave a comment, I read each of them and you all, made me decide to place my order! SO Thank You, to each of you too!
on October 23, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I think Rick Olderman is really on to something here. I've had constant neck pain for almost 3 years now, and headaches and migraines for at least 5 years. Although my pain didn't stem from a car accident or sports injury, I am confident that this book can help fix years of habitually bad posture and neck strain. The fact that I haven't seen any of the stretches that are featured in this book is really exciting and a big sign of hope for me. I've seen chiropractors and have gotten massages, but I never felt like those practices were effecting the root cause of my pain.

Olderman says this in the conclusion, and it is a great summary of his approach to healing neck pain and headaches:

"Correcting your shoulder blade's resting and movement dynamics can be a key component of fixing stubborn neck pain, including pain caused accidents or injuries. My experience has shown that correcting function eliminates neck pain and headaches in most patients - even in the presence of structural problems, such as degenerated disks or bulging disks."

Olderman provides a series of stretch and strength training exercises to help build up the muscles that have been strained around the shoulder blade(s).

I plan on completing at least 6 weeks of said exercises, and will post an update below. As of 10-23-11, I have only rated this book 4 stars, as I have yet to do the exercises. Rating will increase/decrease after evaluation of the stretches and exercises after at least 6 weeks.

---- UPDATE ----

Well, that was disappointing. I completed the 6 weeks of exercises, and I think it caused even more headaches than before. Obviously my issue with neck pain does not steam from my shoulders.

Since trying this book, I've gone to physical therapy which HAS DEFINITELY helped my headaches, migraines, and neck pain. It wasn't something I would've thought of on my own (going to PT for headaches), however, my doctor who specializes in headaches and migraines suggested it. In just a few months, my headaches have decreased by 75% and my migraines have decreased to 2 per month instead of 4-5. If you are looking at doing some kind of therapy to help your headaches and neck pain, I would now first recommend physical therapy, without a doubt and with no hesitations.

I'm taking my review down to 3 stars, because this book probably will work for some, but for me it was not the answer.
on August 11, 2011
Format: Paperback
For the past fifteen years and increasingly I suffered what I thought were high blood pressure related headaches. It finally occurred to me that my headaches were possibly related to a 35 year old rugby injury, a separated clavicle. I found Rick's book and within days was headache and neck pain free. I had a slight relapse having slackened the exercise regimen but will not make that mistake again. My shoulder has more flexibility now and feels stronger. I've been doing yoga assiduously for twenty years but those postures did not address the problem of my lowered shoulder blade; Rick's exercises do. Whether Rick's program works for your shoulder/neck/headache problem(s) I do not know but the book is inexpensive and the program not too physically demanding. It may be worthwhile to give it a try. I am now without what had been near chronic pain for which I am most grateful.
on March 15, 2011
Format: Paperback
Olderman has done it again. This is the 3rd book in his series that I have read. I used his neck book and with just correcting my posture I got rid of 80% of my chronic neck pain from the last 26 years. I have already started changing the way I walk and stand, focusing on my glutes and hips. I am confident that the knee pain that I've had from childhood gymnastics will soon disappear. Thanks, Rick, for pain free living - at last!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations