4.0 out of 5 stars There's folk a'blowing all through 'Flags'
Published on October 18, 2010 by MJ

3.0 out of 5 stars I was hoping for more..
Published on November 25, 2010 by B. Jackson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars There's folk a'blowing all through 'Flags', October 18, 2010
MJ (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flags (Audio CD)
When I heard 'Something in the Water' I was completely surprised. This can't be Brooke Fraser? When did she go country? Well, she never did if you listen to the rest of the album. The first single off the album is a delightfully toe-tapping folk alt-country song, which is hard to dislike. It also happens to be right in the realm of what's popular right now. Taylor Swift, Mumford & Sons, Angus and Julia Stone - they're all taking bits of country and making it cool. So I was super pleased as I'm personally a huge fan.

Unfortunately, at first listen, the rest of the album only samples the style Something in the Water offers. 'Betty', co-written with Switchfoot's Jon Foreman, is a good track but is a bit of a letdown after the opener. Moving on quickly to the next, 'Orphans, Kingdoms', is back to the Brooke Fraser we know. And she does it very, very well. It's a stunning track and is one of the tracks that wonderfully tie in her original style with a new sampling of folk. It is my standout from the whole album. I can't really get past the lyrics "we are wandering where the wild wind blows, we are happy here 'cause the wild wind knows what we are...orphans, kingdoms." Best track.

'Who Are We Fooling?' is the fourth track co-written with Matt Hales aka Aqualung who also appears with Brooke in a duet. It is a beautiful, heart-breaking song and when I put this CD in my car on the way home from buying it, it was the first track I couldn't skip over from. It started playing and I couldn't stop listening. The harmonies are breathtaking. Their voices blend in so well together.

The next track is one I just can't get into. Even after multiple listens to this album, 'Ice On Her Lashes', is simply not a favourite. It starts off so slow and never really gets anywhere. Of course Brooke's vocals is magnificent anyway, but it's just a skippable one for me. 'Coachella' is a great song, one I can see getting lots of radio-play and lots of people getting sick of hearing it. I would be a good follow-up single to Something in the Water.

'Jack Kerouac' is the first track after the lead single to really show a different side to Brooke. It's a bouncy song with hints of reggae, I could imagine it being played on a beach somewhere in the middle of summer. I get this vision of a music video in California with lots of people dancing around on the beach with a fire at dusk, and then at the end someone drives off into the sunset. Or maybe that's just me?

'Sailboats' takes us back to classic Brooke Fraser. This could have easily appeared on her debut album. It's as beautiful as ever. Moving on to 'Crows + Locusts' which is a bit of a masterpiece. It's a storytelling song, which immediately reminded me of the style of Johnny Cash in both musical sound and lyrical approach. It's a long track, but definitely worth listening to. It tells the story of a woman in the midst of losing her farm to the earthly elements and the song comes to end as she breaks down but still holds her hope knowing that she still has her faith in the Lord.

The second last song seems to be a bit of a drinking ditty, which is something rather unexpected. It's one the few that has a slight folk country vibe, and it's a great song. It's a simple tune and very likable. You'll start a singalong without even realising. The final track is the title 'Flags' and it's a powerful way to end the album. Meaningful, breathtaking and classic Brooke Fraser.

Overall, Flags is a fantastic album. It's not what I was expecting from the first single but that doesn't make it any less of a great album.

Standout tracks are: Something in the Water; Orphans, Kingdoms; Who Are We Fooling? and Crows + Locusts. I'm really giving it 4.5 stars, and Amazon should employ a half-stars system...

4.0 out of 5 stars Blowin' in the wind, October 12, 2010
This review is from: Flags (Audio CD)
Brooke Fraser is a Pop/Folk singer who sounds like a cross between Sarah McLachlan and Norah Jones, and "Flags" is her third CD. Hailing from New Zealand, she is one of the worship leaders of Christian worship band Hillsong United.

Lead-off single "Something In The Water" is perky Countrified Pop in an otherwise contemplative album. "Who Are We Fooling?" is a lovely piano ballad featuring Aqualung. "Ice On Her Lashes" touches on death and mourning against a gently swirling and dreamy backdrop, while the groovy "Jack Kerouac" has rhythmic African guitars.

"Sailboats" is a beautiful acoustic ballad, while the woozy "Crows + Locusts" (with biblical imagery) is simply incredible, my favourite, along with the tremulous string-swathed "Flags" which finds her singing "I don't know why the innocents fall, while the monsters still stand, and our lives blow about, like flags on the land", the most overtly spiritual lyrics. The latter two songs sound very Sarah McLachlan. What a delight this is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece from Brooke Fraser, November 26, 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Flags (Audio CD)
Brooke has yet again surprised us with new tunes (as part of her "Legacy" quoted from "Here's To You"). Through her ballads, she comforts me with the hope that real love is out there. She sings about the kind of love that lasts and recovery from the kind that doesn't. My favorite is "Flags", where she expresses her discontent about unfulfilling human life. The themes of Brooke's works have always been worth my abundant admiration, not forgetting the musical arrangements and brave musical experiments. For all of you out there who seek for both enjoyment and meaning from music, she's one of those out there you need to invite in. Keep it up Brooke!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow...Brooke Fraser.., October 29, 2010
Her second Albertine was amazing enough so I wasn't sure she was going to top herself. But to my great delights, Flags is an unbelievable CD in its own right.

Lyrically stirring, sonically masterful, thematically deep are some words I would use to describe this album.

My favorites are "Who Are We Fooling?", a brutally real song about love relationships (but is really redemptive), and "Flags", an emotionally captivating song that stirs the soul when one thinks about the condition of our world.

This CD is definitely recommended!

Thanks Brooke for taking up my MP3 Player for the last week!

3.0 out of 5 stars I was hoping for more.., November 25, 2010
I don't know how to fully articulate what I'm thinking without getting long winded, I'm attempting to keep this short. I'm a hopeless fan of Brooke's previous 2 releases Daylight and Albertine. I've listened through this album 3 times now and (and I shake my head when I say this), I'm not feelin' it. The only two songs I've immediately liked is Crows and Locusts and Flags. Flags seems to my ears to be head and shoulders above the rest lyrically. It literally brought tears to my eyes the way that CS Lewis Song , The Thief, Hosea's Wife and Better did. Flags (the song) is SPOT ON. This album is worth the purchase price for the song Flags alone. Albertine was just so deep and I think I was expecting another Albertine. Albertine was so good, I literally bought them and sent them to multiple members of my family. I'm just not getting that amount of power from this album (and I'm soooo sooo sorry to say that). Brooke is truly one of my favorite artists of all time. Brooke, I'm looking forward to your next effort and hope too see you tour on 2011!

5.0 out of 5 stars A true work of art, April 7, 2011
This review is from: Flags (Audio CD)
Each song tells a story, and the album flows beautifully.You can listen to the songs multiple times, and hear new parts each time. Would highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best CDs I've ever herd!!!, February 20, 2011
This review is from: Flags (Audio CD)
One of the best CDs I've ever herd. Each track is totally unkeak but kinda funky in it's own way and there are so many different music layers to each song. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Her best album yet!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this CD, November 18, 2010
This review is from: Flags (Audio CD)
In comparison to her previous albums, here we get a different taste of Brooke's music.
It's more mature in a way, a different perspective in life.
Love the cd! Another great one from Brookee..

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, January 28, 2011
I bought this on a whim when the MP3 album was on sale, and this wasn't anything like I expected. I hadn't heard her previous albums, only knew her from Hillsong, and to be completely honest, I expected this to sound like a very vanilla and sterilized collection of songs (i.e. the majority of Christian music) but hoped her vocals or the passion she brings to worship would make it worthwhile. This doesn't sound anything like your stereotypical CCM album. Thank God.

I don't like all of the tracks on the album (thankfully Coachella and Jack Kerouac are back to back so I can skip both in one fell swoop). The lyrics aren't vacuum sealed and she has a sound that reminds me of Sara Barielles and a few others while not feeling "too" familiar. Not my favorite album from last year, but I enjoy the majority of it and Orphans, Kingdoms is, in my opinion, an inspired masterpiece, one of the very few 5 star rated songs in my itunes. Flags, particularly the acoustic version, is another solid track off this album, making this MP3 exclusive version worthwhile. Brooke has a beautiful voice; I'd love to hear her sing live someday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, but great, November 4, 2010
This review is from: Flags (Audio CD)
She has a different style in this album. If you are a Brooke Fraser fan, just buy it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Flags
Flags by Brooke Fraser (Audio CD - 2010)