Flamingo
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$7.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon October 9, 2010
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
What is it with the negative mentality from fans when a lead singer goes solo? I am glad I grew up during a different era when it was just fine for a lead singer to go solo with fans. For example, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, David Lee Roth, Peter Cetera, Jon Anderson, etc., etc. Nowadays it seems there's this negative element involved for no really good reason.

Brandon Flowers of The Killers releases his first solo album and it's, "This isn't what I expected" or "This is another Killers album" or "The fans who give this positive reviews are deluded", etc., etc. The fact of the matter is The Killers are popular right now, "Flamingo" entered the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart in the top ten, the first single "Crossfire" has done well on the charts.

Also, Flowers brings in the heavy artillery with three great producers: Stuart Price (New Order, Madonna, Scissor Sisters, Pet Shop Boys, Gwen Stefani, Seal and Keane), Daniel Lanois (U2, Peter Gabriel and Robbie Robertson) and Brendan O'Brien (Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, Korn, The Offspring, Train, Bruce Springsteen, Incubus, The Music, The Wallflowers, Audioslave, The Bravery, Velvet Revolver and AC/DC). This has ensured a quality product. Plus a duet with Riley Kilo's lead singer Jenny Lewis on "Hard Enough".

I listened to all three Killers albums in sequential order prior to listening to "Flamingo", and I have to say I liked "Flamingo" slightly more than The Killers albums. This is the first album where I felt there was a musical unity throughout. I did not feel, upon repeated listening, that there were any weak tracks here. Some are better than others, but overall the album sounded good, not great. Flowers (and The Killers) still have the potential to develop into a classic rock band, but they have yet to hit their stride.

Growing up in the 1980's, this album reminded me of many other artists/bands from that era with a modern polish, and The Killers are, after all, a retro band, a post-new wave revival band. Flowers' influences are also from that era, and they are evident here.

"Welcome To Fabulous Las Vegas" is a great, grand, sweeping opener. "Only The Young", the album's second single, is a beautifully sung, electronic ballad. "Hard Enough" has a country tinge with a carefully placed hook in the chorus. "Jilted Lovers & Broken Hearts" is the most Killers sounding track and one of the fastest paced tracks here. "Playing With Fire" might be the weakest track here, but it redeems itself in its melody line during the second half of the song. "Was It Something I Said?" has a good melody. "Magdalena" is pure vocal hook magic. "Crossfire" is likewise catchy and melodic. "On The Floor" and "Swallow It" finish off the original 10 track album with more hooks. The four bonus tracks are equally as good with "The Clock Was Tickin'" and "Jacksonville" being very catchy.

Overall, "Flamingo" deserves four stars for its great production and hooks galore. Anyone can quibble over the lyrical content here, and many have complained about the religious content, but I inspected the lyrics online and did not feel Flowers was being overly preachy. I mean give me a break here. There are so many other artists that are absolutely preachy in their convictions, and who cares? That's what's great about popular music--passion, conviction, opinions, points of view, attitudes. People are so easily perturbed by the smallest things.

Here's how "Flamingo" compares to The Killers:

2004 Hot Fuss: Four Stars
2006 Sam's Town: Three and a Half Stars
2008 Day & Age: Three and a Half Stars
2010 Flamingo: Four Stars (from a biased, non-zealous fan)
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 27, 2010
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
First off I would like to know what is it about the songs Brandon Flowers writes that makes them so addictive? I was orginally going to give the deluxe album four stars. I thought the only thing lacking was the magic that you get with the Killers other albums but then again this is just one fourth of the Killers. However I caught myself singing four of the songs without realizing it and that was after only three listens. I didn't even know all the words yet! However the tunes were stuck in my head. Strangely enough I DON'T really like country music at all and was greatly surprised the most country sounding song on the album The Clock was Tickin'is one of my favorites. It brings tears to my eyes everytime I listen to it. The album is wonderfully written, very clever and at times humorous. Very well done Brandon! Not a bad song on the album. I can't wait to hear what the Killers do next!
on September 22, 2010
Format: Audio CD
This review includes "The Deluxe Edition" additional songs.

The Killer's Brandon Flowers has always been one of those frontmen who seem to be specifically built for the limelight. Often built so well that being backed by a band does not due because of the desire to express himself with his own creativity with his own fenceless boarders. Flowers has accomplished that with "Flamingo," his first solo effort. The album is made up of The Killers styled ballads, but lacks the grand scale of some of the band's outings. To put "Flamingo" in perspective with The Killer's own music...Flowers brings a lot more "Human" than he does "Somebody Told Me." Which might be a good thing or bad depending on why you enjoy The Killers music. But it is safe to say that with Flowers, you will enjoy the album if you are a fan of The Killers, but if you are not a fan of the band, you probably will not be a fan of this music.

Track to track ratings:

1.) Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas 3/5
This track is obviously an introduction to the album. It seems like it introduces the concept of the album. Being that Flowers and The Killers's hometown is Las Vegas, this is an ode to the city in some regards. It comes off a little more of a commercial for the Strip than anything else, but is still a very listen-able track that does not need to be skipped. However, after a couple of listens, many will.

2.) Only the Young 4/5
"Only the Young" will come across to listener's immediately who enjoy some of The Killer's more "ballad-like" tracks. It reminds me of "Human," but lyrically sets it apart. It is a very introspective account from Flowers that is touching in its tone and speed. It is a track that will give the listener a clue as to what is to come throughout the album. A great track.

3.) Hard Enough 3/5
This track one that is another slow paced song which is backed by a female vocalist. This gives it an almost duet like characteristic which will give the song a "folk-like" tone. It reminds me of something that Bob Dylan would record in his early days. This is one song that separates Brandon Flowers from any of The Killers creations. A good track though.

4.) Jilted Lovers & Heartbreaks 3/5
On this track Flowers brings his lead singer talents to the forefront with his energy and jilted lyrics. Many of his songs have longer, but lyrically strong choruses. This is one of them. A good track.

5.) Playing with Fire - 5/5
The introduction to this track is slowly brought in by instruments which give it a very mellow beginning. It sets the mood perfectly. Flowers steps up and gives the song a very emotional flare with is lyrics and tone. One of strongest "emotional" tracks on the album. The chorus is excellent and it does a great job at making the song enjoyable to listen to and not such a "downer."

6.) Was It Something I Said 5/5
This is the first track that will remind listeners immediately of The Killers. It is upbeat and strong. Lyrically, Flowers once again brings his talents. It is a feel good track of sorts. Including the song at this point of the album is a great transition from the more mellow tracks before it. An excellent song.

7.) Magdelena 4/5
Another track that feeds off the song before it. The energy is there and it will once again remind listeners of a song that could have easily been included on a past Killers album.

8.) Crossfire 5/5
"Crossfire" has always given me the same feeling as "Human" did when it was first debuted. And with "Crossfire" once again, I love it. One of the best tracks on the ablum, no doubt. Lyrically it is as strong as any song created by Flowers (or the Killers) in my opinion. The chorus and the bridge is one of the best I have heard in recent years. The obvious first single off the album.

9.) On the Floor 4/5
This song calms the energy from the three tracks before it. It is another track that brings an emotional tone that is mixed with mellow instruments and slow spoken words. It's a mellow track on a large scale. Towards the end of the song Flowers is backed by a choir which gives the song a different feel at the end as it did from the beginning. A great track.

10.) Swallow It 4/5
Lyrically, many can decipher the words and speculate on what Flowers had in mind as far as symbolizing the phrase "Swallow It." But with that regard, the song itself is a solid outing. It is interesting that he would close the album out with this track, but maybe he wanted to end with a potential single. Because this could be.

DELUXE BONUS SONGS
11.) The Clock Was Tickin' 3/5
If other songs on the album reminded me of something Bob Dylan would have recorded than this track is a spot on Dylan influenced track. It has an almost "twangy" instrumental backing it and the lyrics provide a story straight out of any southern town (but not limited to). Halfway into it, it transforms into a more traditional Flower's track; which seems to bring it back full circle.

12.) Jacksonville 5/5
This is my favorite track of the DELUXE edition and one of the my favorites in general. It has an eclectic feel with a grand chorus that is enjoyable to listen to. It feels like an inspiration from The Killers debut album "Hot Fuss." It can be a single worthy song, which is confusing to think they would only include it in the deluxe edition.

13.) I Came to Get Over You 3/5
Some of these songs, as i've said before, will remind you of The Killers more than others and this is one that will once again have you saying, "this could have been on any of the Killers albums." But it wasn't and seems more like a song that would have been included on the "Sawdust" album (which was a collection of cuts that never made it to any of the official Killer ablbums). That was a decent album and this is a decent song.

14.) Right Behind You 5/5
One of my favorite tracks on the ENTIRE album, and once again, it is strange that this one is only included in the DELUXE edition. It's energy and tone give it an all around grand scale. The chorus is infectious and will have you singing (even silently) along with it. The instrumentals set it apart from any other track on the album. With this track and "Jacksonville," the DELUXE edition of the album is more than worth it.

All in all, Flowers gives what is expected of him. As with any album, give it multiple listens to fully grasp its range and impact. This is easily one of the best Rock Pop albums put out this year. If you are a fan of The Killers, it is another must have. But even if you are not, listen to the singles at least.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 7, 2011
Format: MP3 Music
This year was a big year for Killer's fans. While the Killers decided to go on break lead singer Brandon Flowers recorded a solo album called Flamingo in early September. The Killers are my favorite band and I was excited to hear any new material even if it was only from one of its members. I followed the release very closely finding live versions of many of the songs before the official release. Having a good idea of the main concept of the album I had a good feeling about things to come.

The album drops and to my surprise it was awesome. In terms of how it sounds compared to the Killers it is missing that stadium rocking sound however, the sound and meaning is still present. There are a few songs that sound straight from a Killers album such as Crossfire and Jilted Lovers and Broken Hearts. Flowers is responsible for most of the song writing for the Killers anyway so there isn't much of a leap in his solo work. The appeal of the album for me is the lyrics and music produced by Flowers. While many of the songs start off soft and low, they usually build up to a more energetic climax near the end. One in particular, Playing with Fire, is fitting used for Flower's closing song in live performance. A majority of the songs replace that Killers guitar sound with synths and acoustics, but the songs themselves could easily be adapted into the Killer's repertoire. The is also one song that I have to commend for its amazing lyrics. The track entitled Magdalena is a song written by Flowers inspired by a religious pilgrimage in Mexico. If you can a chance I urge you to give the song a listen, and more importantly look up the lyrics. The lyrics are truly dynamic, and if read without music it would sound like something out of a novel. In addition to the 10 tracks the deluxe version of the album contains four bonus songs. The two stand outs are The Clock was Tickin and Right Behind You. The Clock was Tickin is actually the original version of another track on the album called Was it Something I Said or Did. Listening to those two tracks side by side is pretty interesting. Right Behind You has become one of my favorites on the album which is why I included it at the bottom of this post. That track has a more genuine Killer's sound to it, almost as if it could have been released on Hot Fuss their debut album.

Anyway let me get on to the live performance part of this review. I have seen Brandon Flowers live twice now. And I feel it is safe to say that his performances are awesome. I had first seen him play at Highline Ballroom in Manhattan. This was actually before the albums release, which was a little weird because no one knew the lyrics to most of the songs, except for the people like me who studied the YouTube live videos beforehand. The concert was relatively short. especially since there was no opening act. However, he ended the night of nicely with an acoustic version of When You Were Young. After the show I actually got to meet the two female background singers and snagged a picture with them. The highlight of the night, for me at least, was when I got to meet Brandon Flowers and get his autograph. I never thought I would ever get to meet him, or even be within ten feet of him for that matter.

About a week ago I went to see him at another performance in Manhattan this time at Hammerstein Ballroom. I had a much bigger crew with me the second time around I an was anxious to see what the "newcomers" thought about the performance. Now I will admit that I am extremely biased when it comes to anything that has to do with the Killers, but I feel confident in saying that anyone would have enjoyed that concert. The guy played great music and he fun to watch on stage. This second concert was much longer than the first. It included almost all of the material from his album. The highlight of the night was an encore performance of a medley of Read My Mind and Only the Young which then led into Mr . Brightside. Overall the concert was one of the best that I have ever been to, and it only got better when we got some Halal food after the show.

Let me get to the point here because I am getting distracted from watching Dexter. I am not sure how I will be rating albums on here. So at this point let me keep it simple and say that Flamingo is definitely worth listening to. As for the concerts if Flowers ever comes back to New York I highly recommend going to see him live.

Check out more reviews at [...]
on February 4, 2011
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I'm the kind of person who doesn't buy CD's. I have an incredibly small CD collection, and no, it's not a bunch of Killers CD's. Don't get me wrong, I love The Killers. I'm a huge fan, but my point is I didn't just buy this because it was Brandon Flowers. This is one of the very few CD's that I felt it was necessary to buy. Usually I just go for a digital download or something along those lines, but this I felt it was necessary that I own it.

On this Album Brandon Flowers does his own thing for sure, but I still feel that it has a bit of that Killers flair. So if you're looking for something to sound exactly like what you've been hearing on previous Killers albums, you might be disappointed. If you're looking for something great, and something that has the same sort of feel as what you've heard on Killers albums, you might find yourself enjoying this CD. Like on previous Killers albums, the lyrics are compelling, and the sound is original.

I disagree with the reviews saying that the only decent song on here is "Crossfire". Although it's one of my favorites on the album, it's certainly not all the album has to offer. The album opens with "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas". This does a great job of setting the tone for the CD. Some of my other favorite tracks would have to be "Jilted Lovers & Broken Hearts" "Magdalena" "On the Floor" and "Swallow it".

I STRONGLY suggest buying the Deluxe Edition for the bonus tracks. I LOVE all four of them. Though "The Clock was Tickin'" has a different sound that might not be appealing to some, it's lyrics are incredible. I wasn't the biggest fan of that one at first, but it grew on me considerably and is now one of my favorite tracks. The other three I loved instantly.
on September 19, 2010
Format: MP3 MusicVerified Purchase
If Springsteen impregnated Robert Smith (that's about right) and their baby grew up and let Jeff Lynn work only the echo slider as producer this is what you'd have. Highlights include Is it Something I said and Magdelena.
on February 24, 2012
Format: MP3 Music
I turn 60 this year, so keep that in mind that my musical experience spans over half a century. Please, please, I'm not saying that makes me smart or that my opinions are more valid because I'm an old fart. All I'm saying is that I am perhaps not as given to being caught up in trends. Fair enough? (Skip to the last line if you want ONLY a review)

When I first heard of the Killers I thought that, with such an inappropriate name, how could they be anything but a messed up bunch of young people." So when my wife's young co-worker - who has good values - asked for Hot Fuss for her birthday, I was surprised, and my interest was piqued...after all, I'm always looking for the next legitimate contributor to music.

After listening to Hot Fuss I felt it was not only great music, but that the band had the potential to last. The potential to last comes from the songs, for sure, but it is primarily due to the fact that Brandon Flowers is fun to watch, has thought provoking lyrics, and his voice isn't the usual bland, affected, auto-tuned voice you tend to hear with so many bands and performers these days. But, at the end of the day, it was that his voice is terrific, and very interesting to listen to. He tells stories.

I thought it was a joke when someone told me Brandon Flowers is a Mormon, so I checked it out at lds.org and found that it was true. But the video he put on that site has Crossfire and another country sounding song as background to his voice. I loved both of the songs I heard. Below his video it talked about how he had released a solo album in the fall of 2010, and I was surprised that I hadn't heard about it, so I watched and listened to the video several more times and, liking the songs, bought the album.

My review is that Brandon Flowers, uh, delivers. His songs are thought provoking, as I've said, but there is a yearning in his lyrics that I relate to.... that feeling that he sees things clearly in his life - people, places - and tells stories about them....that there is always something missing, or that he doesn't understand, but he observes rather than judges for the most part. He does get personal at times, perhaps justifying his approach to life, spirituality, people, etc. But it is sincere and interesting.

As a songwriter I always start with the lyrics, so the fact that his lyrics are so good enhances my appreciation of his compositions. If you listen to popular artists such as Coldplay you'll hear some interesting lyrics, but Chris Martin gets a little lazy and repeats his 'good lyrics' on occasion rather than come up with additional lyrics that are just as good. It's not a cardinal sin but, to my way of thinking, it is lazy. You can repeat lyrics but slightly change them and it's good enough, but to repeat verbatim....not good enough, at least to me. Brandon Flowers is at 'another level,' and his voice is so very interesting, yet unpretentious. This is not to cap on Chris Martin, but these are two important singers of our time, so comparing Flowers with Martin helps me to make a point (I like Coldplay a lot, so this is just my way of pointing out what I like about Brandon Flowers.....).

Chris Martin writes a lot of songs where he sings in falsetto for most of the song. He has a nice falsetto, but he is, after all, the composer, and can write a song in any key he chooses, so why not write it in a lower key? To me, he does it to show that he can sing falsetto and, again, to me, it is pretentious to write songs where he is in falsetto most of - but not all of - the time. The purpose of a song should be to deliver a message through music, not to say "look what I can do." And the fact is that, as good as his falsetto is, when any singer goes into, then pulls out of, falsetto, there is a difference in tonal timbre. It is distracting to the melody, at least for me. The first popular artist to use falsetto on almost every song was David Gates of Bread. He used it to make the music more interesting (singing in that upper register to expand the range of the melody), but not to 'show off.'

Now back to my review of Brandon Flowers: his voice is at once rich, gritty, baritone, tenor, but always - always - expressive in a way that expands the power of the lyrics and music. He is, to me - as opposed to Chris Martin - a pure musician. No weird graffiti on his keyboards or other instruments, just pure, American music. His singing, even his little flirtations with falsetto, seems authentic - yes, they are done for effect, but the effect relates to the song, not to the fact that 'he can do it.'

In closing, it is interesting that many people thought the Killers were European at first (and they've been, if anything, more popular in Europe than anywhere else, so the impression, while unintended, was genuinely derived). I love most great music, from sacred to Peter, Paul & Mary, from Steve Winwood to Iron Maiden, so my biases are limited. But, if I had to say one thing about British music vs. American rock it is that British music tends to be more sophisticated, the harmonies tighter, the lyrics less whimsical, the arrangements richer unpredictable, as opposed to being a platform for an inevitable lead guitar solo preceded by 2 verses, followed by a verse, a bridge, and a final verse. These are a few of the more refined qualities that I see in British bands, and I find them to be present in the music of the Killers, and I think it is a compliment that they were seen that way. Brandon Flowers take this one step further, and assimilates these elements so they authentically flavor his work.

Everyone is influenced by the music they hear, the artists they see perform. So, at some level, imitation is always a part of the recipe. But I find the Killers' music to be genuine because, as opposed to mimicking these elements, it integrates them into the personality of their work. These influences are therefore not karaoke-like, but have been ingested such that they become part of the fabric of their music. This is what I mean by authentic.

Now, my review: Brandon Flowers CD "Flamingo?" Buy it if you like the Killers at all. And, if you like the Killers, I think you'll love Flamingo.
on June 10, 2011
Format: Audio CD
My sister promptly bought this album after it came out. We were both excited seeing as we are both Killers fans. While fooling around in the kitchen, we listened to this album and Funeral by the Arcade Fire. To be honest neither one of us were really paying attention. My initial first impression was disappointment. It wasn't until about a week ago that I actually sat down and really listened to it. I had just watch Only the Young's music video and thought the song was fantastic. (especially with subsequent views) So I decided to give Flamingo another chance. My second impression of the album was that it was ok, but with multiple listens it really began to grow on me.

But where this album truly shines is with the live performance. Weaker songs, like Playing with Fire, become absolutely amazing when played in a live setting. Maybe, it's because the album is over produced. There is only one song that I like better as the album version and that's Only the Young. (which shows you how amazing the show is) The back-up singers can be weak in many of the performances, but they are easily ignored. This primarily due to Brandon's passion and intensity while singing. His range is astounding and his voice is truly unique. And I only got this from YT videos. I can only imagine the treat of being able to witness one of his concerts in real life. I would advise anyone on the fence about the album to go look up these songs on yt. I will even go as far as to say trade in your CD for a concert ticket.

The only reason why I am giving this CD 4 stars (3.5 really, but I always round up) is because, while it is good, the live version is defiantly better. So much better it almost hard to listen to the album version now. The album seems over-produced and, while that often makes singers sound better than they actually are, it tarnishes Brandon's voice work. He seems like one of the few musicians who is better raw and unedited. Perhaps, if only one producer had been chosen there wouldn't be as much of a problem. It is as though everyone of them was trying to put their fingerprints on the songs and muddied the water up a bit. There are some weaker songs on the album, but like said before they are redeemed by the live performance. Other than that, I can't think of anything else negative to say about Flamingo. On the happier side of things, Flamingo is a lyrical, melodic paradise filled with metaphors, stories, and anthems. Each song is unique and creative. Yet at the same time they go perfectly together and I could even see a few of them fit into The Killers set list. The best songs would probably be Only the Young, Crossfire, Magdalena, and Jilted Lovers and Broken Hearts. Live though... just pick anything off the album they are all great.

Brandon is a fantastic singer-songwriter-frontman. I just wish the producers would have made the album sound more natural, instead of trying to edit everything. It's defiantly worth the time to look up his live work though and it is worth the buy. Just don't judge it on your first listen. Flowers grow, after all. (Bad pun.) Give it some time and perhaps you will come to love Flamingo. If not, check out the live stuff before you give up on it completely.
on October 8, 2010
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
As a fairly huge Killers fan, I bought this CD with excitement and anticipation. B-Flow doesn't entirely disappoint, that's not what i'm trying to say. However, there is something lacking on this album. Some songs sound hollow and all too fragmented, while his frequently utilized upper vocal register fades into the background during some tracks. That, or he squeals the notes to the point where they sound irritating or piercing (listen to "Was it Something I Said?"). Many of the songs seems to be going somewhere, then dissolve before reaching their peak. The better tracks: "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" (a heartfelt ode to his hometown), "Hard Enough" (a bit hollow, but his voice blends well with Jenny Lewis'), "Jilted Lovers and Broken Hearts" (will sound a bit more familiar to Killers fans), "Magdalena" (poetic and simplistic, doesn't over-do it in the upper vocal register, easily my favorite track on the album), and one of the bonus tracks, "The Clock Was Tickin'" (a solid attempt at a country-esque tune, works well with his voice). Many of the other tracks are just okay to me, nothing that I truly detest, but it's certainly not what I expected when I heard Brandon Flowers was to release a solo album. If you're a big Killers fan and you're going to buy the CD no matter what I say, more power to ya, you might enjoy it. All I can say is that I hope he gets back together with the Killers realll soon. As a group, they are something else.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 12, 2010
Format: Audio CD
Read my other reviews and you'll notice a pattern. I'll let everyone else debate the merits of the album. This review is for those eager to buy the album but are still deciding about know which version to get.

DOWNLOAD Versus CD? - Depends on sale price
If the download is still sale priced at or below five clams when you see this AND you're just a casual fan - I'd go download. It's an incredible deal. Sonically, there's not much a difference in sound the way this album is mixed.

CD Versus Deluxe CD?
The one thing the regular edition of the CD has going for it is the traditional jewel case. An easier to access CD and a booklet that won't get worn down too easily. The Deluxe edition is in an annoying DigiPak - the type where you need to seriously wrestle with it to remove the disc without snapping it in half. Once I liberated mine, I re-housed it in a regular slimline case. The colorful booklet is stitched into the digipak case, which looks lovely, but needs to be handled with white gloves to preserve it's condition. In an odd move, the side pocket that could have housed the CD (preferred) or booklet is instead stuffed with a 2-sided mini poster. Clearly, they are going after the tween girl demographic with this move, but if my phantom baby daughter tucked a poster of a 30-year old man in her locker, I would buy her some Bieber stat.

The main reason to go Deluxe is the 4 bonus tracks. You get "The Clock Was Ticking" - a Grand Ole Opry country romp that also recalls the lyrical pace of The Nails' "88 Lines for 44 Women" and Jim Carrol's "People Who Died." "Jacksonville" is an album highlight - a trippy number with a slinky beat and a chilling woven bass guitar line. "I Came Here To Get Over You" almost sounds like a great lost Weezer song and "Right Behind You" brings the album to a proper close with heavy wet synths.

Overall - this album, even more than the b-sides comp "Sawdust" feels like a full-fledged Killers album. I recently bought solo outings from Paul Banks (Interpol) and Julian Casablancas (The Strokes) - both tread new territory, but were so sterile they left me little inspiration for repeat listens. Flamingo is much more warm and inviting, like Las Vegas luring headlights down Highway 15 in the dead of night.