5.0 out of 5 stars Magic and more in the excellent novel "Flank Hawk"
Published on June 11, 2011 by Kevin Tipple

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Got this a couple of years ago but just found it on my bookshelf in early March. Cool idea with the mix of fantasy and technology. I'd say if you like Sci-fi/fantasy, you'd enjoy it well enough.
Published 20 months ago by Book Lover

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic and more in the excellent novel "Flank Hawk", June 11, 2011
This review is from: Flank Hawk (Paperback)
Zombies are never a good thing. Souled zombies, ones that can independently think and act, are even worse. Then there are the goblins, ogres, seers, wizards, and more in this time nearly 3000 years in the future where magic is prevalent, dragons fly, and the evil necromancer king seeks to rule the world. The good people and creatures are far outnumbered by those bent on war and conquest. Those that can harness the most magic can turn the tide of battle -at least for now.

For Krish and his cousin Guzzy, the recent battles outside of their small village have been more then the annual minor attacks designed to disrupt the yearly harvest. The young men fight to defend their village, Pine Ridge, and to protect all they hold dear. With swords and spears protected by magic and salt, they fight on as the enemy in many different forms continues to press the attack and people they know die around them. Back up is on the way as kingdoms make alliances in order to slow the advance of those loyal to the evil necromancer king. One such alliance allows Prince Reveron of Kreese to eventually take over and lead the small group Krish is part of into battle. Krish becomes noticed not only by the Prince but by others and gradually works his way deeper and deeper into the circle of those that Prince Reveron trusts. While Krish may not have had formal military training, he acquires battle skills at a rapid rate and has certain other skills that he continues to try to keep hidden from those around him.

Nearly any fantasy story has to have an epic quest. The one Krish is sent on is huge and could mean the fate of the world as well as what is left of humanity, forever changed in our times, could massively change again. That is assuming he can survive and complete a quest that is nearly impossible from the start. The good thing is he will get some help. The bad thing is that the little help he gets most likely will not nearly be enough.

Blending a fantasy line set nearly 3000 years in the future heavily reliant on magic with a modern day cold and dispassionate tale of technology mercilessly doing exactly what it was designed to do resulting in horrific results, is not easy. Author Terry Ervin makes it look easy as he captivates readers for 288 pages in this very complex book.

Filled with interesting characters, this fully formed world is strangely different and yet at times very relevant to our modern day world of today. Krish is a man who develops throughout the book while never losing his awe at what forces are arrayed against him. Nor does he lose his own sense of purpose and place despite realistic periods of self-doubt and contemplation. The same core values that come across in the first few pages are still there at the end in a smarter more seasoned character.

In a world where nightmares and worse of a child are very much real and life does not last long, Krish battles and delights readers. It is a world that could happen. May even happen as technology spreads and is always vulnerable to use by those bent on power and greed.

The book is highly recommended as "FLANK HAWK "is a mighty good read.

Material provided quite some time ago by the author in exchange for my objective review.

Kevin R. Tipple © 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic mix of fantasy and technology!, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Flank Hawk: A First Civilization's Legacy Novel (Kindle Edition)
Dragons, zombies and panzers, oh my! Add in Stukas, goblins, ogres, m'unicorn war steeds and elemental monsters and you get an idea of what you're up against. Flank Hawk is a smorgasbord of fantasy and modern technology and it all works. The imagination this author possesses is astounding. Mr. Ervin seamlessly blends all the elements into a book that you'll find hard to stop reading once you start.

The story follows Krish, a wide-eyed farm boy who goes off to war against the Necromancer King. Through a series of battles, he finds himself paired with Road Toad, a disgraced dragon rider turned mercenary. It is during one of the vicious and devastating battles that Krish earns his mercenary name of Flank Hawk. Road Toad takes Flank Hawk under his wing and teaches the young boy some of the finer points of being a mercenary and some much needed sword-fighting skills.

While on a scouting mission with Prince Reveron of Keesee, Road Toad and a small contingent of elite soldiers, their position is betrayed and events are set into motion that will start Flank Hawk on an impossible quest. He must find the fabled Colonel of the West and barter the royal family's Blood-Sword for a way to stop the evil Necromancer King's advance across the kingdom. This is where the book becomes even more exciting. There is barely a chapter that goes by before something new and unexpected is thrown into the plot.

My favorite character was the Crusader Paul Jedidiah Roos from the Reunited Kingdom who Flank Hawk meets on his quest. All in all there are a number of wonderful characters in this book and I commend the author on such a well-written book. I highly recommend this book for all those readers who love fantasy and science fiction.

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-Stop Action and Great Character Development!!!, December 30, 2009
This review is from: Flank Hawk (Paperback)
Even as a fan of Fantasy and Science-Fiction novels, I was a bit hesitant to read this book. I did not think that it was possible to combine elements from so many different genres into a single story and be able to pull it off. As much as I was skeptical of how it would turn out, my curiosity got the best of me. I was hooked from the very first page and I personally blame the author, Ervin, for the lack of sleep that I endured for the three days that it took me to read through the book. The fast-paced action delivered an adrenaline rush so addicting that I could not put the book down of my own free will. Where Ervin really succeeds with this book is the level of depth in the development of his characters. In the midst of epic fantasy battles Ervin brings to life characters that become dear to the reader within only a few pages, which is the total length that some of the endeared characters are among the living. Sustaining the reader through the nearly non-stop action is the over-arching mystery concerning the origins of the conflict surrounding the characters. This book is a must for anyone who finds themselves even slightly curious to find out who would come out the victor in an air-superiority battle between dragons and Nazi Stukas!

BEWARE of sleep deprivation from not being able to close the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, December 29, 2009
This review is from: Flank Hawk (Paperback)
When I first reviewed this book, I gave it a three star. After completing the entire book, I'd like to change my rating to a five star. I admit I had trouble getting into the book, but I blame this on not normally reading science fiction books. Once I got a few chapters in, I became hooked.

Flank Hawk will sweep you away and take you to a magical world.

Terry W. Ervin II did a brilliant job writing this debut novel. There's never a dull moment as we follow Krish, a farmhand turned mercenary, as he forges through battles. Dragons, zombies, giants, and wizards color the pages of this science fiction, fantasy novel.

Thriving as a stong individual, Krish encounters new friends, and loses honorable allies. Krish's journey is not one you want to miss.

(I've only just begun reading Flank Hawk and it is a genre that I don't normally read. Terry W. Ervin II has brought to life some interesting characters. The writing is smooth and easy to follow. This book is definitly worth picking up.)

5.0 out of 5 stars I still agree with myself on this one..., November 14, 2009
This review is from: Flank Hawk (Paperback)
When Terry Ervin asked me to read an advanced copy of Flank Hawk, I hesitated at first, not sure I could find the time in my own writing schedule, but when I heard what it was about, I said yes, and I'm glad I did! Also, for full disclosure purposes here, although there is no money in it for me, understand, whatsoever, I was glad to put my name on a "blurb" I afterward wrote for the cover (and Christine M. Griffin did a great job of painting that cover, seems to me, an artist to watch out for--speaking from experience,cover paintings can be tricky little devils to get right!)...but the bottom line is, that looking back, I still agree with the way I felt at the time I read the advanced copy...I ended the blurb I wrote for Flan Hawk with, "Ervin's got the magic!" And I still feel it's true. Amazon's "see inside the book" feature allows you to read the first page, so if you've got a minute to do that, see if that first page grabs you like it did me...I wanted to keep reading immediately, and it's a rare book that produces that effect in me, these days...a bit jaded, you know? But this book did it for me, and I look forward now to seeing what Ervin's going to come up with next!

4.0 out of 5 stars Flank Hawk rocks..., May 2, 2010
This review is from: Flank Hawk (Paperback)
Terry Ervin II, has written a great epic fantasy tale. "Flank Hawk" starts out with action and keeps the pace throughout. I pride myself on knowing an ending prior to getting there and I totally missed it with Ervin's book. The ending was a surprise that I did not see coming. A wizard raises the dead Nazi empire to take on men using swords, dragons and magicians. They go against Nazi Stukas, panzer tanks, Ogres, giants and zombies. It is a good tale of good against evil with some unexpected twists, turns and some hair raising fights along the way. A solid good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic and War Machines, December 5, 2009
D. E. Toland (Central Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flank Hawk (Paperback)
Terry successfully sets a stage where World War II warfare is blended with magical combat, complete with zombies, ogres, giants, and lycanthropes. Dragons vie against Stuka planes as Panzer tanks and a zombie army roll against desperate mercenaries and determined wizards. Set three thousand years in the future, it's a strange mix. The carnage is almost excessive, but all told it's one rip-roaring adventure with an explosive climax.

If fantasy novels have lost their sparkle for you, this one will change your mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flank Hawk, November 14, 2009
S. Daley (Michigan USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flank Hawk (Paperback)
Krish, a recently new mercenary, along with his cousin, Guzzy, joins the fight against the Necromancer King. Along the way, Krish meets Road Toad, another mercenary with a lot of experience, but the battle hardened mercenary comes with a few surprises and secrets of his own, and secrets are something Krish all knows too well about.

Young Krish is soon recognized as someone that is steadfast and can get the job done. Krish is given the task to find the one weapon that can turn the tide of victory from the Necromancer King. Krish must get through ogres, trolls, zombies, and other fable creatures.

The pacing is fast, the suspense nonstop. There is an incredible mixture of suspense and action.

Flank Hawk is nonstop reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Fantasy Meets Horror, August 10, 2010
This review is from: Flank Hawk (Paperback)
Flank Hawk is the first fantasy novel I've read in ages. I used to read in the genre all the time, but got away from it. Fortunately, Ervin's novel reminded me of all the reasons why I loved fantasy in the first place: quests, epic battles of good vs. evil, lovable heroes, etc. The fact that the book mixes WWII technology, zombies, elementals, wizardry and dragons makes me give it an enthusiastic review. BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ervin Not Only Has the Magic But a Great Story, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Flank Hawk (Paperback)
Flank Hawk is a sensational debut for author Terry W. Ervin II.

Ervin's writing style could be best described as economical. Every word has a purpose. Every scene pushes the story forward as Krish, a farmer, must endure an array of obstacles to reach his goal- finding the weapon to kill an evil king.

I highly recommend Flank Hawk.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›