5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced this saved our lives
Published on January 12, 2011 by Kcorn

Published on January 11, 2012 by B. Nebab

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced this saved our lives, January 12, 2011
This review is from: 3 FlareAlert 9.1.1 LED Emergency Beacon Flares with Storage Bag
Before writing this review, I made sure to look at the 1 and 2 star reviews (which made some valid points but not deal breakers for us). Why? Because we faced this situation: heavy snow, a car which broke down and low visibility. We immediately got out these flares and were happy to see that they were visible for some distance (to test this out, we stood away from the road, on the ground and far back from the car). One of the MAJOR advantages of this product is that each emergency beacon is magnetized and sticks to cars. I"m also getting another set because I think it is safer to have some behind the car as well as to the side- as well as on the car itself.

The bottom line is that they worked on a busy interstate and we could see cars taking care to avoid our car, long before they got within striking range. There were no screeching or skidding noises from those cars. Meanwhile, we stayed outside our car, since the temperature wasn't too cold. The beacons are noted to be able to be "run over" by a 6000 pound vehicle. I can't vouch for that because it didn't happen.

I do want to address the concerns of those who gave lower ratings to this product. Yes, it could be difficult to install the batteries for those with arthritis or any trouble pushing batteries into typical battery slots. Yes, it takes a bit of strength to move the top of the beacons counter clockwise to open the case (but not all that much). I don't work out enough to have more than average hand strength. But just to be sure, I had a 12 year old, a 50 year old and an 80 year old open the case. None of them do more than general household chores and activities. I don't know if multiple sets have reliability problems but we'll find out soon enough as I'm ordering more (and I'm revise my review if we had any difficulties with any of the beacons).

You do have to get the batteries firmly in place, nice and straight. The top of each beacon doesn't have enough space to accommodate batteries that stick up. This wasn't a big deal to us.

The kit also doesn't come with batteries but many products don't come with batteries so I didn't assume it contained batteries. The only decision we had to make was whether to install the batteries ahead of time or have them ready and waiting in the storage bag which comes with this product. In an emergency, it seems desirable to turn on the beacons and get instant safety. But if you install the batteries ahead of time you do need to remember to check them often enough to avoid battery leakage and potentially ruined beacons.

There is both a flash and steady option for the lights. If you use the flash option, you are supposed to get 60 hours of battery life. Thankfully, we needed only a few hours of time. If you use the steady light option (no flashing), you get only 20 hours of battery time. I think the flash option would attract more attention and that is what we used when in our emergency situation.

A MAJOR advantage is that the beacons are compact and come in a storage bag. Just stick the bag in your car's trunk or somewhere in the back seat or an over the seat storage pack and you're good to go. I'm definitely getting one for a son's car as well as my spouse's vehicle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, November 29, 2010
I got these emergency strobe lights for auto emergency kits and I really like them. If you use road flares, they will burn out after 30 minutes or so. If you use cyalume light sticks, they are not bright enough and can blow away. If you use reflective triangles, they are also not visible enough in snow or fog and can blow away. These strobe lights are very bright and the bottom is magnetic, so you can stick them to the roof of your car and they will be visible from long distances in heavy snow, rain, or fog, and will not blow away. There are two settings; the blinking red light and the steady always-on light. The only problem I found is that they are hard to open to put batteries in them, which could be a pain if you store your batteries separately and need to put them in during the cold or rain.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any car emergency kit, May 28, 2010
Melanie O. (Los Angeles, CA, US) - See all my reviews
My Flare Alert arrived very quickly and I am incredibly satisfied with my purchase. The bag is sturdy and contains three pockets that safely hold each Flare Alert until you are ready to use them. (There's also room to store batteries inside if you don't want to actually put them into the light until you need to use it.)

Each light needs three AA batteries. I tested one and was amazed at how bright the light was. It literally hurt to look at it more than a few milliseconds. I'm positive that this would be able to viewed from a long distance. I stuck it on the fridge and the magnets worked fine.

It's a great little addition to any car emergency kit. Traditional flares can be dangerous and unreliable. These are safe, easy to use, can be seen from a greater distance, and are longer lasting.

They also have a variety of uses - I could see someone using it to demarcate a driveway for visiting guests or as a night light for kids or even as lighting for a party (you might need to place some sort of lampshade or something over them as these things are really bright).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, a must have for your roadside emergency kit, but poor build quality, January 11, 2012
B. Nebab "BN Modder" (Piscataway, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This is a well-conceived product, something that I think should be in every vehicle (in the cabin) along with a telescoping lug wrench (or breaker bar) and jumper cables (in the trunk). However, the build quality of these flares is unfortunately poor, particularly the battery box. The problems people have noted fitting the batteries into their slots, particularly the middle ones, I believe is due to the flimsy grommets/connectors used for the positive terminal. The negative terminal is a very long spring, which doesn't give you a lot of room to easily insert the battery into its slot. If you try to shove the positive end in, even if you've compressed the spring for the negative end as much as you can, you have a good chance of bending/distorting the grommet/connector just with the nub of the battery's positive terminal, making it impossible to insert the battery fully into the slot. This happened on 2 of the 3 flares I received, something I could only fix with some needle-nose pliers and micro-screwdriver--generally, tools not everyone will have at the ready in their vehicle should the flares be needed and a problem come up with the battery installation. Besides, you really have better, less ironic things to be doing on the side of the road than fixing your emergency equipment! What's more, the second time this happened was AFTER I'd successfully installed the batteries one time into the flare, popped them out, then tried to reinstall them, just to see how easily it could be done in the event I had to do it on the road. Therefore, success one time is no guarantee of success a second time, should you decide to keep the batteries out of the flares until you need to use them.

Another observation, the switch and the soldered wires for the electrical connections to the battery box seem rather flimsy. In fact, one of the flares came with the switch out of position (loose) in its cradle, though it snapped back into place without the need for tools, just the nudge of my fingertip.

I suppose this is what one should expect for a relatively inexpensive mass-produced product made in China. It's inner parts are definitely under-engineered. I would pay more for something better made that I could have more confidence in. As is, I am debating whether to install expensive lithium batteries while I can do so from the comfort of my workbench and leaving them in the flares in my car. Lithium batteries are not as prone to leaking as alkalines and can operate in extreme temperatures. However, I think the greater power would be wasted on these LED flares. On the other hand, if I opted for alkalines, I would feel compelled to keep them out of the flares in the bag to prevent them from leaking, but then I'd be concerned about the ability to quickly insert them back into the flares when they are needed.

What else? I like the bag, the magnets are pretty strong, and the flares, when the batteries are installed, are quite effective. So, a good product to have, I just wish it were better made and easier to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just used these following a freak accident!, March 9, 2011
About a year ago, my friend and I almost got killed changing a tire, following an accident on a very dark mountain road. Following this harrowing experience, I bought these LED flares and put them in my trunk.

Over this past weekend, I was following another friend of mine when suddenly, his right rear tire flew off his Jeep! (I clearly choose poor driving buddies). After we pulled to the shoulder and chased down his run-away tire, I set out these flares, and let me tell you... they gave us some fantastic peace of mind!

These LEDs are quite bright and do a great job of directing the idiots on the road away from my rear bumper. I highly suggest that everyone buy a set.

My only complaint: The power buttons can be activated while the flare is in the pack, leaving your batteries dead. Fortunately, I noticed this previously, and now just keep an unopened pack of batteries in the case, and only install them when necessary. That's the only reason this product didn't get 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars These do what they're supposed to do., January 24, 2011
Hondo (Fairfax, VA) - See all my reviews
You know, it never ceases to amaze me how some people will never be satisfied. "Too small", "Not bright enough", "Too hard to open", etc. Okay, I read all these reviews, and wondered in my mind how good the FlareAlerts would be when I actually received my set. In all the criticisms that I read, there is only one I would tend to agree with, but it was not a "show stopper" in my mind. It is in fact true that the middle AA batter slot is a bit of a tight fit for a battery, but I had no difficulty in ultimtely getting the battery in place. As for the rest of the criticisms, I can only figure they are posted by overly fussy consumers. The bottom line is, it seems you can't please all the people, all the time.

These units are about 4.5 inches across and plenty sturdy in my opinion. They are >easy< to open. One thing I was searching for in the description and reviews was whether they were weather resistant. In short, they are. There is a small rubber gasket on the body of the unit where the lid contacts which should be quite effective in keep water out of the unit. As also reported, there are two operating modes - one that keeps the light on continuously, and one that provides rapid flashing. The units come with a storage case (pictured) that also has two internal velco-secured compartments to hold the nine required batteries.

In terms of brightness, they are not as bright as the emergency flashers on your car. However, they are extremely bright, and can undoubtedly be seen quite a distance down the road. Looking at the unit from the top provides the brightest illumination (for instance, stuck magetically on a veritical plane on the back of your car) due to the design of the lens in the lid, however they are also plenty bright situated horizontally on the ground. When I looked at them directly from the top, I had to look away. That's plenty bright I think. I believe that if my vehicle was ever disabled on a dark and stormy night on a major Interstate, these three units spread out behind my disabled vehicle in flashing mode would attract a lot of attention. The proof in the pudding is the post from the user who actually used these in the conditions described, and who reported that people slowed down when they saw all the flashing lights. That's precisely what you want people to do, so in terms of the units "accomplishing their mission", I would say these lights are doing what they're supposed to do.

I bought two sets - one for my wife, and one for me. After looking them over, playing around with them, and even putting one in the back yard at night to see how effective it would be, I would say these will also be Christmas gifts next year for some of the people I care about. I think they are a much better option than flares, which only last about 30 minutes anyway, and orange triangles which can blow over and are not as visible at night. The only downside is the nature of batteries. It's a good idea to replace them every couple of years to make sure you have full strength batteries on hand to power the units. Something you must remember to do - just like changing the battery in your home smoke detectors - in fact, not a bad thing to add to the list.

I think these units are a great idea and recommend them to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., February 12, 2011
Wow... these are great. I gave them to my father for use
in his car in case of an emergency but I've discovered a
wonderful little new use for them! When I write a note
to someone in my household I stick it to the fridge with this
BRIGHT BLINKING magnetic light! They can't miss it! This
thing must have 1000's of uses! It's about 3 inches across
and heavy - but the magnet pull is STRONG! It will NOT
fall off anything metal! WOW. Great thing... have more than
just emergency uses. I carried one in my purse at a concert
and had NO PROBLEM helping my friend find her way back to me
(from the bathroom) in the HUGE crowd (at night) -
I just turned it on and held it up! Think of all the uses!
3 in a pack - I'm ordering more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emergency Beacon, August 9, 2007
I think this is one of the smartest and possibly life-saving inventions in a long time. It is so simple to use and gives me peace-of mind knowing that I can place it at the end of our really long driveway out in the boonies and still be found by the fire department, medics or police. I personally think EVERYONE should have at least one. If you live in an apartment, having one in the window could save precious time for any emergency crews. This pack of three is an excellent choice. I kept one for the driveway and put one in each of our two vehicles. I bought another set for my elderly parents for their motor home.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect flares, May 26, 2010
I bought one set for my daughter's car and loved them. Bought two more sets for other cars. They are well made and very functional. The lights are bright and offer a strobe function that attracts attention. Much better than traditional flares.

3.0 out of 5 stars An essential for each car, with one caveat, November 30, 2010
Pretty bright, and certainly more convenient then flares. They can be set to flash or steady, and the case is nice (especially considering it will just bounce around my trunk for years).

Update (years later) - I check the batteries annually and found there is one problem to be aware of. If anything pushes on the case, it can press one of the push buttons on a flare inside the case. The flare will turn on, you won't know it because it is inside the case, and the batteries eventually die. I have these in 3 cars and found 1 car had 1 dead flare, another had 1 dead flare and the batteries had leaked, and the other was ok. Guess I need to be more careful storing these in the cars. I'll downgrade my rating for this.