4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, well made and economical!
Published 23 months ago by Ciaran

3.0 out of 5 stars For the money this is a good chair.
Published 23 months ago by Debbie Sandersfeld

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, well made and economical!, February 15, 2013
This review is from: Flash Furniture GO-ST-6-BK-GG Mid-Back Black Fabric Task and Computer Chair with Nylon Arms (Misc.)
After I finally finished putting together my desk (built from scratch) it was time to look at chairs. My problem is that I spend 7+ hours a day working on the computer, but 99% of it being pro bono, I don't have the budget for the chair that would do my back and my butt justice. So, I settled on this mid-price chair on the positive reviews here alone, and figured that I could always send it back if it wasn't a good fit.

*Edited at the bottom of the review - see why I downgraded to four stars!*

PUTTING IT TOGETHER
Building the chair was a relatively simple process. The wheels and base simply clicked into place, and once I figured out that I had put one arm on the wrong side, it was a relatively simple process to put the chair and arms together. The chair comes with all the hardware you will need, and also includes an Alan key for tightening bolts - for some people this will be important, as there's nothing worse than not having the right tool for your new toy!

CONSTRUCTION/QUALITY
I have only owned older or cheaper chairs, but I do have friends with high-end chairs, and I'm pleased to say that this one in particular is just about right for the price-point. The overall build seems just fine - it's not rickety by any means and if you tighten the bolts properly there shouldn't be any give. The wheels move well, although I'm on hardwood so I'm not sure how they fair on carpet. Despite the arms and base being made of plastic/nylon, they are a very strong grade and should hold up just fine (I will update the review with any change in this).

ERGONOMICS/COMFORT
I find this chair to be very comfortable overall. There is some (set) lumbar support, and I find it quite easy to sit up straight without having to lean to far back to type comfortably. The chair comes to a nice height at the back (I'm 5'9"), and you can lean it back and set it or allow free leaning with the use of the side lever. The chair has a decent range in terms of height, although if you're taller or have a tall desk, you might find that it doesn't go as high as you might want. The seat is reasonably comfortable - it's definitely not the best I have experienced but so far has helped alleviate any serious fatigue - a legitimate concern when you spend many hours a day at your desk. The arms are unpadded, but not uncomfortable. I rarely use the arms, unless I'm watching a video or taking some time to think, so I didn't really weigh them in to my rating.

OVERALL
For the price I paid, I am very pleased and at this price point I believe the chair merits the full five stars. I now have a comfortable, decently-made chair for less than a hundred dollars (at the time of this writing), and it has definitely improved my ability to work for longer stretches, allowing me to finish up a day's work more quickly! Overall, I can definitely recommend this chair as an excellent contender in this price range!

*EDIT*
Well, I decided to downgrade this review to four stars. After having the chair for several months, the seat padding has greatly decreased in effectiveness. Now granted, I use this chair for several hours every day so this may not apply to some people considering the chair, but nevertheless it is worth mentioning. It was only when we purchased a second chair for my wife that it became clear just how compressed the cushioning had become - you could actually feel the difference in height! I will be buying a chair cushion to alleviate this, so I still can recommend this chair, but perhaps with a little less enthusiasm.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, October 23, 2012
For a list price of $279, this is absolutely, unbelievably ridiculous. BUT, I got it for $66 which is a phenomenal deal. So for that price, I would say this is indeed a very nice chair. It gives really good lower back support (which I did not expect) and the fabric feel is very sturdy and strong.

The chair is fairly easy to assemble; no problems with that. However, the chair is not 'fixed' to the base (legs + pneumatic up/down pump) in any way. if you were to lift the chair by the hands, it would come right off. However, this is not perceptible when you sit in the chair....it is sturdy enough and does not bobble around like some of the other chairs I have seen.

The range of vertical adjustment (up/down) is pretty good (as much as the other chairs on the market), and it does tilt back (you can adjust the tightness of the tilt) with a tilt lock.

Overall, I would say this is a good computer desk chair to have and it competes very strongly with some of the ones from IKEA which sell at $150 or something.

A good buy, and I am satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product - great value, December 11, 2012
I actually ordered this for someone in my office because his chair was breaking at the welds (yes, it was THAT old!) and every other place I looked it was way more expensive.

The product arrived intact except that there was part of it sticking out of the box. No biggie. I also noticed that the parts were quite dusty and didn't "look new". However, this was just surface dust. This is the only reason for the one missing star.

It was easy to put together, the hex tool is included and as long as one knows how to read instructions it is quite easy. And it was a very professional-looking product. All of the other chairs in our office are high-backed ("executive") and I noticed that with this lower back it actually makes the office look better!

I tried it out a few times and it is quite comfortable. I am the type to want my chair as low as possible so as not to cut off circulation in my legs and this one can be raised and lowered. I am waiting for the day that management decides to get everyone new chairs! I'd get this one any day for the value and the comfort.

3.0 out of 5 stars For the money this is a good chair., February 24, 2013
I think you get your bang for the buck. For the price I call this a good chair. The question is how long it will last! Use it most of the day 7 days a week. The padding is already breaking down. Love that it leans back. The chair has a side rock to it that make me think it will not hold up on the base for as long as I would like. The arms will not fit under the desk I use thus the back support is not being used. Putting it together was simple for a chair. Only had to remove and put back on the arm as I did it wrong the first time. This is my second chair in a year. If this one gives out, I will spend a little more to get a better one, but I am also on a tight budget. If you can afford a better one, I would go for it. For the price I paid this is not a bad chair.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kinda like sitting on a rock, May 12, 2014
The lack of padding in this chair is amazing. It looks okay from a distance, but as soon as you sit down your butt starts to go numb from hitting all the pressure points. The tilt function is also wonky. I can't tighten it up enough to NOT tilt back 45 degrees every time you sit down. Many a guest in my house have nearly toppled over backwards by sitting down in this chair. Other than that, it is okay I guess. I only moderately regret buying this chair.

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for the first 30 minutes.., January 4, 2014
I was very excited to get this chair. It was easy to assemble, just common sense really. Once I finished putting it together, I sat down on it. I was amazed at how comfortable it was! Fantastic back support and it leans back at the perfect angle to sit comfortably. I was so impressed, that I had my whole family come take turns sitting in it. They all agreed that it was possibly the most comfortable chair they had ever sat in.

Needless to say, I was very happy with it. I sat in it for about 30 minutes, and realized that the padding on the chair had squished all the way down to the plastic. It was still pretty comfortable, though. Not long after this, it began to make a scraping sound when I would lean back. Not long after THAT, it started to squeak. Simply shifting your weight in any direction makes an incredibly annoying high pitched screech.

After a little over a week, it is now wobbly. I can wobble left and right, as well as forward and back when i lock the chair from leaning back. And as it wobbles, it does the high pitched screech.

I don't recommend getting this chair if you are an adult.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, April 22, 2013
This chair is very reasonably priced. It was easy to assemble once it came. While I wouldn't recommend it if you spend hours at a time sitting in front of your computer (the padding is a little thin and the frame of the chair will begin to dig into the backs of your legs), if you only use your computer for short periods of time ( like I do), then this chair is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, April 7, 2013
I'm a computer gamer/student who spends a lot of time on the computer. I have a very mild form of scoliosis which mostly goes unnoticed by me except when I'm on the computer for a long time. I developed a sort of pinch nerve in upper shoulder near my spine which caused nearly unbearable discomfort after a few hours. I decided to purchase a chair with armrests for support but wanted something cheap. This was the answer!

Pros:
- Completely alleviated the pain I was getting in my shoulder/neck/spine area.
- Cushioning is just enough for me, very comfortable. However, I'm only about 120 lbs so I'm not sure how much it'll hold up for a larger individual
- Good for shorter individuals like myself who is 5'4". Back length/arm rest height is great for me. Feet are able to reach the floor comfortable and the adjustable height has been no issue with me despite it's cheapness
- Breathable fabric. Doesn't feel too "sweaty" or rough on bare skin.

Cons:
- IT IS CHEAP. The screws do not fit in smoothly and you have to really force them or else you have a wobbly chair. However, I was able to really force the screws in and the chair is very stable and does not tilt at all.
- The base is not actually attached by anything so if you pick it up the bottom part with the wheels will slide off.
- The arm rests might be uncomfortable since they aren't padded.

Overall, great chair for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, June 27, 2013
Victoria Perkins (Southington, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
For the sale price I paid, it's a good chair. The padding is comfortable and everything works. However, when I saw that the original price was almost $280, I assumed this would be a great chair at a discounted price. What it seems more like is a $70 chair that someone decided to jack up the original price for and then offer it at a 'discounted' price. The material is rough and cheap. The seat is almost too narrow and I'm about average size. It was difficult and unwieldy to put together and the screws were very hard to get in. It's worth what I paid, not what the original price is listed at.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good value when caster breaks after little use, July 22, 2014
We bought this chair on May 26 and have been away for much of the time since. Imagine our surprise when one of the casters broke, rendering the chair really unusable. We bought it because it was listed as one of the most popular. We've had other desk chairs for years. I do not recommend anyone else purchase this chair.