Flashing orange "Link" light??? Just hooked the SB6120 up..works fine. It doubled my DL speed from 11+ to 22+
Is the bottom "LINK" LED supposed to constantly flash??
I contacted their support, and the guy said I'll have to refer to my notes..he had no clue...Thanks for your help!
asked by Provlima on July 2, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 answers
A
According to the manual, the link light always blinks to indicated data transfer. The light color indicates the speed of the device connected to the modems ethernet port. Amber is 10 / 100 Mbps, blue is 1000Mbps. Mine is connected to my old WRT54G router, which only has a 100 Mbps WAN port, so the link light is Amber.
Robert Maass answered on July 8, 2010
Comment | 35 of 36 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm having the same issue. When my iMac is in sleep mode, no data is being moved, so why is the orange ('amber') light blinking?
K. Wright answered on July 5, 2010
Comment (1) | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am seeing the same thing. Just bad design. Blinking should mean it needs your attention. Red/orange should mean something is wrong. So it's no wonder people are confused when the router constantly blinks orange/red.
Jesse Gaskin answered on October 21, 2012
Comment | 13 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Switching cables changed the orange blinking light to blue and blinking for me. I have a Motorola SB6120 cable modem and a Cisco Linksys EA2700 router (Gigabit). I was using a 1 ft. Cat5e cable from Monoprice. Other Cat5e cables I have don't have this problem. :/
King Mupupuru answered on August 8, 2012
Comment | 9 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The manual that came with my device didn't seem to provide enough details about the states of the Link light. I think the color coding was correctly described above - mine lit up blue when connected to gigabit ethernet (a Macbook), and amber when connected to 10/100 (a WRT54G). Mine also seems to flash constantly, whether or not there's really any data going out, so I'm not sure what that's about.
Jerry B. Ray Jr. answered on December 12, 2010
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Charles,

The light is orange when connected to a 100 Mbit device, and blue when connected to a 1 Gbit device, so I think at least that part of the mystery is solved.

With Comcast cable internet, the connection was "registered" to the MAC address of the machine that was connected to the router when I activated the service (my Macbook laptop). When I wanted to switch over to my wireless router, I had to "clone" the MAC address of the laptop so that the router "looked like" the laptop connected to the modem. Maybe that's part of what you were seeing when you switched from one connected device to another?
Jerry B. Ray Jr. answered on January 27, 2011
Comment (1) | 7 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks to you guys, I know why my modem's flashing orange! So an ENORMOUS thanks for making it an easy answer to find! I figured flashing orange would be something horrible and catastrophic... Who thought to use orange? Couldn't they have just used the green or something??

Now... to figure out why it always used to flash blue before today... sigh...

(edit: for future reference, my ethernet between my modem and Airport router seems to have spontaneously died- just swapped in a new cable and it's blue again!)
dawn answered on April 10, 2013
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Phone "tech support" at Comcast, etc. ought to get educated about blinking lights, as they've been known to tell customers it means a faulty connection, not just a speed-level indicator.

My Motorola SB6121 manual is also vague. Under the section "Front Panel Icons and Error Conditions" it only mentions that "OFF = No connected device is detected (or) Device is disconnected." How hard can it be for them to describe the flashing orange or solid blue status of that light?
AJ CA answered on November 14, 2012
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I FOUND THE FIX FOR THIS!!!

small piece of electrical tape works great
R. Labrie answered on January 11, 2013
Comment | 7 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm having the same issue. also, the received light goes blue when i connect it directly to my mac.

i've also noticed that when i unhook it from my mac and put it through my router, it doesn't work....you have to unplug and let it reset! painful.
Charles Luu answered on December 13, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›

See all questions about this product