5,206 Reviews

1,024 of 1,078 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great little torch. Demo video for the Operation Modes
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:53 Mins
Hello all,

Just a quick review and a bit of instruction that I've discovered to work on my 3 flashlights.

Published 24 months ago by c32077

1,277 of 1,295 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon seller breakdown, 3-mode vs 1-mode
With all the complaints about varying products and 1-mode versus 3-mode switches, I decided to trawl through 100+ comments looking for sellers specifically named, and also directly contacted a few of them myself.

----------------

Seller names with a * next to them are ones I got a conclusive e-mail response from.

2014/Apr/29...
Published 11 months ago by RC

1,277 of 1,295 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon seller breakdown, 3-mode vs 1-mode, August 25, 2013
This review is from: Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Light Lamp (Tools & Home Improvement)

2014/Apr/29

*AutoWT
*Exciting Co

3-MODE:

Dealextreme4u* - (Ultrafire)
Suyuca* - (can't tail stand)
Blue Top* - (Ultrafire)
*new goldengulf - (no voltage regulator)
*Uhope - (clones)

Coco Fed
BBQBuy
Coutlet

SELLERS:
You might prefer a US based seller (may only cost 50˘ more), so that you get the product in a week instead of a month, and fast returns if there are problems. Be sure to take a good look at seller ratings before buying, and post negative seller feedback if you are treated badly... Some of the cheapest sellers have only 50-60% positive rating, while it is normal to see 90% positive.

1-MODE VS. 3-MODE:
The cheapest sellers are typically offering the 1-mode light, so expect to pay a bit more for a 3-mode. You should also realize that 3-mode isn't always a good thing... Several reviewers have complained that they don't like the extra complexity and confusing (memory) behavior, so consider your needs carefully. As bright as this is, I insist on 3-mode so I can dim the light (about 40 lumens), and get several times longer battery life. The combination of high/low and flood/spot very effectively covers the full range of flashlight usage scenarios. I do wish LOW was the first mode in the cycle... you can't un-blind yourself after the fact. And I'd like an even-lower brightness mode, ~5 lumens.

BATTERY/RUN-TIME:
It is a waste to buy 14500 Li-Ion batteries... Most of them cost ~$4/each, and have just 10% more power (Volt*Amp/Hours) than a $1.20/each LSD NiMH rechargeable, which withstands much more use and abuse (and Li-Ions are notorious for vastly exaggerated specs). Contrary to some other reviews here, I've seen absolutely NO difference in light output whether my lights are driven by 1.5V or 3.6V, so the regulator is doing a superb job. Although a hot-off-the-charger Li-Ion battery, briefly at ~4.2 volts might over-drive the LED for a small increase. If weight was critical, I would prefer disposable Lithium AAs to Li-Ions. Also, a single AA is much cheaper, smaller, and more convenient than 3xAAAs, yet both provide nearly the same amount of power. In a pinch, this flashlight even runs reliably on a single AAA battery without modification. So this unit is superior to most other (18650) small flashlights.

On a single Tenergy Centura LSD AA NiMH Battery, I get 1.5 hours of run-time on HIGH before the light dims. I expect "strobe" mode to get double that. LOW mode lasts about 4.5 hours before the voltage presumably drops too low and the regulator suddenly shuts-off the light entirely. I measured a current of approx 1.7A@1.3V on HIGH, and 0.5A@1.3V on LOW. With a 13˘ "Super Heavy Duty" AA battery, I got about half the run-time, which is decent and useful in emergencies (but starts to dim sooner than NiMH). With a battery extension tube converting this to 2xAAs, on HIGH I get 4 hours of run-time, a 33% improvement.

CLONES:
Most 3-mode sellers are offering the 150 lumen Ultrafire SK68, which is a very similar clone of the 120 lumen Sipik SK68 which a few people have also received. You may be interested to know that the Sipik was itself originally a MUCH cheaper clone (using a different battery) of the old 220 lumen Nitecore Extreme

Then there is a wide array of blank/unbranded SK68 clones sold here, that can be quite different than their cousins... From the thread diameter being different, to the button protruding from the tail-cap so they *can't tail-stand*, to lacking voltage regulation, so they're 2.5X as bright with a Li-Ion battery, or 2X as bright with an extension tube and may burn out the LED quickly. The design and build quality of the clones is never quite as good as the Ultrafires, but they're decent lights, and may be worth the price. I'd stick with Ultrafire branded lights for any important usage, like camping/hiking.

SUMMARY:
This is nearly the PERFECT small flashlight. I always carry one in my back pocket, next to my wallet... I rarely notice it and I've always got a great flashlight with me when I need it. With an extension tube, it can fill the role of a MEDIUM sized flashlight as well. With the belt-clip turned backwards, it can clip on a hat for a hands-free headlamp. The high/low modes and flood/spot zoom lens means you get the exact lighting you want for nearly any purpose. And it makes a great lantern/whole-room light if you unscrew and remove the lens entirely (equivalent to a 15W bulb). Ultrafire rates this "SK68" light as 150 lumens, not 300lm as listed here, and it's certainly evenly matched with my 190 lumen Dorcy CyberLight. I just wish I could find a large 2xD flashlight with all these same features, other than the discontinued Small Sun ZY-A601.

WISHLIST:
- The belt clip should be turned the other way around (or just drill a second set of screw holes near the head, so customers can choose). That would allow clipping to a hat or similar for hands-free headlamp use without needing an extension tube. It would allow quick mounting under a car hood as a work-light, and more.
- An even lower ~5 lumen brightness mode would be great for preserving night-vision, up-close work, or indoor use, and would allow a single AA to run your light non-stop for 48 hours. I've resorted to also carrying around those $2 1xAA "3W Police" LED lights as well.
- Lowest mode first when turning-on the flashlight would be best, then cycle through higher modes as needed. Alternatively, a memory or a switch to set (and keep) the preferred initial mode might make everyone happy.
- An extension tube designed for this light would be a great option, and they could be sold bundled together like the Ultrafire C3 usually is. There's a big market for 2xAA mini-maglites, and it gives an impressive 33% improvement in battery-life.
- An inexpensive pack of colored lenses seems like a common request. I believe most people want, in order of decreasing priority: Red, Amber, Green, Blue.

If you have any information to add, particularly if you believe my list is inaccurate, feel free to leave a comment below. I can update it with new information as it becomes available.

2,411 of 2,469 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Product switching going on!, October 16, 2012
The reason for the variation in the reviews, is because they are shipping different product at different times, likely all Cree Quality Control rejects. I made orders of 3, 5 and 7 flashlights in sequence. The order of 3 was great and resulted in my decision to make the two subsequent orders. The order of 5 were labeled Sipik and mostly junk, the order of 7 was unlabeled but acceptable. Attempts to return the items resulted in a run around of e-mail, sending pictures, and unloading the cost to ship and risk of loss back to me.

I would also like to know if Happy Electronics, Lucky Electronics, BBQbuy and BestDeal777 are all the same company. They all were involved in some way in the 3 orders when I thought I was dealing with one company.

The product switching is clearly deceptive marketing and unethical, as well as unfair to other vendors. I won't be buying anything shipping directly from China. Amazon credibility and good name also suffers from such practicesl.

1,024 of 1,078 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great little torch. Demo video for the Operation Modes, August 28, 2012
Length:: 0:53 Mins

Hello all,

For the money, I am very happy with this little gem of a light. It is small and it uses a commonly found battery. Run time may be suspect for some, but for infrequent to moderate use it's wonderful. For a small carry torch it does whatever you would need to do with it. I use it all the time to get through the dark parts of my basement or toolbox at night on the wide angle beam and for spotting the animals and neighborhood kids causing trouble in our yards with the focused beam.

A lot of people have posted about issues they are having with their lights having either 'on/off mode' or 'high/low/strobe modes' using the switch on the back, but not both. I can say that all three of these torches I purchased have had all of these modes depending on how you use the button and the period in between 'on' or 'off' cycles. I discovered this by accident on my first flashlight which was lost in a motorcycle accident. I ordered two next time because I missed it so much. Of my entire ordeal from the accident the one thing I was most sore about was losing that little flashlight. When the next two arrived the first thing I did was cycle through all of the modes to make sure my last one wasn't a fluke. It wasn't. These two worked exactly the same way. It would have probably helped if the manufacturer had placed some type of instructions for this in the box, but none of mine arrived with anything but the bubble wrapped light inside a plain white box. I assume you all received the same.

Here is what I've discovered:

On/Off Mode (high brightness only):
Click once to turn it on - it will always be on the brightest setting if it has sat for a while - Click once again to turn it off.
Let it sit for 3 seconds or so and you can repeat the above with the exact same result every time.

High/Low/Strobe Mode:
Click once to turn it on - this will be High brightness - click it again twice within a second of the first click - this will be Low brightness - click it again twice within a second of the previous click - this will be a strobe at high brightness - click it again to turn it off. Let it sit in the off mode for 3 seconds after any of these modes and it will return to the On/Off mode with full brightness next time you turn it on.

You can also turn it on at full brightness and depress the switch only partially to cycle through the High/Low/Strobe modes without turning the light off between modes.

I will try to attach a video to show this. I've never done this before so it may not work (which is why I offered the written instructions above). In the video it may be difficult to recognize the brightness modes, but you'll believe me after you try it yourself.

In conclusion, I think wherever you buy this light it is very much worth it for the price. I think it will make a very practical and useful gift on the cheap that almost anyone will be happy to have. Even if they just keep it in a glove box, in an emergency kit in the trunk/boot, in a saddle bag of their motorcycle, in a back pack or whatever, they will be happy to have it when they need it. The light uses readily available AA batteries and is super easy to use (once you know how to work the magic button on the back).

I hope this review/demo has been helpful.

Chuck

Edit on 14 Aug 2013:
It seems there is no way of telling which model flashlight you are going to get when you order. I've order from this vendor at least twice and have gotten flashlights with 3 modes and flashlights with on/off. On mine I notice the flashlights with the on/off only mode the orange button is smooth and shiny. On the ones with 3 modes the button is dull/matte orange and has a very slight texture to it. So it seems it is a coin toss whether you get the 3 mode or the on/off mode flashlights. I wish I had any better info on this and how to ensure you get the one you want. I typically use the full bright only mode on all of them so on/off works for me, but I have used the med light once or twice in situations where I planned to have the light on for a bit longer than usual (I took a shower when the power went out by setting this thing on the corner of my vanity on medium light and flooding light on the ceiling). Good luck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Buy, November 12, 2012
Having noted all the positive reviews about these flashlights, I ordered two lights as well is the recommended battery and charger. I was happy to receive the lights much sooner than the five week estimated shipping time. Both of the lights I received were labeled Cree, Ultra fire, and I must say the case design is excellent, very strong, and a really nice design,it even has a very nice clip on it which is very solid and should secure the light to your belt with no problems.

I bought the lights to use while walking my dog and night, so I charged up the batteries and took my dog for a walk using one of my nice new lights, we were out for about 30 min. and I marveled at how bright the beam was and how easily adjustable it was. We were out for about a half an hour or so, I walked my dog second time that evening, and again the light performed very well, I was very impressed with it. I was so impressed that I gave one of the lights to my sister telling her how great it was, it was light and easy to handle when you're walking a dog at night and trying to keep up with his leash and the light.

At this point I'd use my light a total of about an hour so the next night I took my dog out for a walk with my brand-new light, after about 10 min. my light just shut off,pushing the on off switch did not produce any results. I thought this might be because the battery was dead, I changed the battery and I had light again,but, after about 10 min. the lights shut off again, and unfortunately this happens every time I try to use the light now, with fresh batteries or any beam focus settings that I use. While my light just goes off with no warning the one I gave my sister will dim, and then shuts itself off after just a few minutes of operation.

I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing these problems, even for an inexpensive product, given all the stellar reviews, it should have performed better than it has.I would've returned both of them if the return wasn't such a problem, as it is I guess I'll use it as a paper weight. If you're looking for a light that only works for a few minutes and then leave you in the dark I would highly recommend this product. Given the fact that I purchased two and they both do the same thing, avoid these lights at all cost, spend a few dollars more and get something reliable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware of Bait and Switch, January 25, 2014
SGK (Freeport, NY United States) - See all my reviews
The first time I ordered this product I received 20 well functioning Cree lamps sold by (HFHF Inc.). I ordered another 20 lamps for guys in my fishing club. When the package arrived from (huhushop) I received 20 non-adjustable mini flashlights (not Cree as advertised) in fact they were a bit longer, silver not black and it cannot be focused at all. I complained to the HUHU Company and was first offered a $15.00 refund and was told that shipping them back to China would cost a lot. I declined their offer and once again they came back to me with a $30.00 refund offer. After realizing that shipping them back to China would cost too much money I decided to take the loss and accept their offer rather than spend even more money. So now I am stuck with 20 mini flashlights that are not what I ordered and I will probably end up giving them away. I will end up losing about $45.00.
The huhushop apologized and stated to me : "I had issued the 30$ refund. Please check your payment account later. Sorry about the problem, I had deleted the product list once we found the problem. We will be more careful. Thanks for your advice. Best wishes to you! huhushop."

Amazon need to wake up to these negative posts and do something about false advertising by thrid party sellers! This was an example of Bait and Switch! So buyer beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 out of 2, October 7, 2012
ordered 2 because of the use of one aa battery. one is still working and one now is dead. went into the changing modes and then died.
a 2 week life is not acceptable

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought 10 flashlights, all of them are DEFECTIVE, December 2, 2012
I ordered 10 of these flashlight, and all of them are defective. The seller should pay for the return postage as they shipped all defective units. This feels like a scam. I will try to reach Amazon.com to file a complaint with this vendor. When I tried to communicate with the vendor, they tried to sound nice, but they evaded my issue with the flashlights. They kept on responding that a techical resolution was met, when in fact they simply have not done anything. I noted that other buyers had similiar experiences as I did, except I bought 10 units. I will work with my credit card company to reverse these charges if there is no resolution. This vendor is the worst vendor I ever experienced at Amazon. Beware of buying from this seller, you might end up with junk. ALL OF MY 10 FLASHLIGHTS ARE DEFECTIVE. I think they knew it did not work and were defective. When I go get these back to the vendor, they will probaby sell it again to an unsuspecting buyer (meaning you). Be careful, use a different vendor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Light For The Price!, June 5, 2012
Ordered 2 lights - Both arrived quickly, in perfect condition. Fit and finish is excellent for the asking price - no scratches, lens blemishes or stripped threads. The difference in brightness between the HIGH and LOW settings is very usable - The LOW is definitely a lot dimmer than the BRIGHT, but still very adequate for indoor use.

Current consumption at 1.3 volts measures almost exactly 1000 mA on HIGH, or 250 mA on LOW - Should provide around 2 or 8 hours of run time respectively, from a 2000 mAH Ni-MH rechargeable AA cell.

The beam focus feature offers a wide range of settings. It could be improved just a bit if the focus ring rotated on threads instead of just sliding up and down - As it is, your focus setting is easily changed if the front of the flashlight is bumped. Also, the focus becomes just a little too sharp at its highest magnification: The beam takes the exact shape of the LED's die - sort of reminds me of a little Batman searchlight!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this model to anyone who wants a bright, small, very affordable flashlight that takes an expensive, easy-to-find battery. The fact that it has two distinct, very usable brightness settings (plus a strobe function) makes it even more useful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst flashlight I have ever used, September 6, 2012
Pros: Look at other comments - 1 battery, bright, small, durable.

Cons:
*Where to begin... first off, the on/off switch is complete garbage. Dislodged itself, was able to "nudge" it back into place to get it to shut off. Switches modes CONSTANTLY... walk around with a flashlight for 10 seconds before it starts switches to strobe. Incredibly annoying
*There is hot glue on the LED bulb.
*Sometimes does not work at ALL.

I have a $5 LED light from Walmart that I've owned for nearly 2 years. May not be as bright, but hell, it actually works. Was iffy when I saw the flashlight, so I bought 1 to try it out. Will NOT be buying another.

EDIT - Bought a 2 pack of flashlights from Home Depot the other day for $10 ($5 a flashlight basically). 100 lumens, 150 meter range. This flashlight might say 300 lumens, but the 100 lumen light will completely make this flashlight's light disappear; even when "zoomed" in, the 300 lm light is pathetically dim compared. The 300 lumens is more around 20-30, or even less. The flashlight from Walmart is a 7 lumen light and is nearly as bright! Pathetic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Purchased from Amazon, Would not work with an AA battery and no help from the vendor., June 22, 2012
R. Schnabel (Central Florida) - See all my reviews
I purchased this light because in the detail, the light was supposed to work with a single AA battery. Most of the reviews confirmed that the light worked on a single AA battery. After several attempts with the vendor, each time wanting me to purchase a 14500 3.6v battery to test the light, I just gave up. I didn't intend to purchase a special battery for a light that I intended to use with a AA battery. That would have made no sense to me even if it did work with a 14500 3.6v battery. I didn't want to purchase additional special batteries and charger. My suggestion, don't buy this light if you want it to work on a AA battery. If you don't mind buying the 14500 3.6v batteries, then give it a try. It seems to be a fairly well made light with some sharp edges and a very small end cap for battery access which may be difficult for some to open. If you do buy the light, please review the product, i would still like to see what the odds are of getting one that works right.

Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Light Lamp