5.0 out of 5 stars Flat Belly Diet for Men
Published on January 4, 2010 by Anthony M. Henry

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tips for lunch
Published 21 months ago by Hannah Cole

5.0 out of 5 stars Flat Belly Diet for Men, January 4, 2010
Open the book up to pages 8-9 and look at the smile on MY face! That is me, Anthony Henry. I was one of the men who was part of the test panel. I was not paid to test the plan or to write this review. To be completely transparent we were given a Saucony messenger bag that had a Contigo 24oz water bottle & a copy of the flat belly cook book in it. I was also allowed to keep the shirt you see me wearing in the book but that was a gift from the stylist. In total it was less than $100. I did, however, have to make three trips into the publishers office for weigh-ins, measurements, and photos. With travel each took over three hours. In the end it all evened out.

As I said look at the smile on my face. This program helped me get my life back on track. Since completing the test panel I have run a half marathon & raised over $14,000 for the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America. Before this program I wouldn't have been able to run two miles let alone a half marathon. I found the food to be delicious and I tried things I might never have tried, or heard of, before, like Tahini butter (made from sesame seeds). Before this book I LOVED Skippy peanut butter sandwiches. Now it is strictly natural peanut butter for me. I made several of the recipes with my favorite being the chili. More than a cookbook this is a guide. You don't HAVE to use all the spices but they will help with your metabolism and open you up to new flavors. I am not the world's greatest cook but I do follow directions pretty well. This book directed me to saving my life. It taught me portion control and how to make intelligent choices. I learned how to swap out bad food for good food.

You may not like all of the recipes in the book but it is a diet book, not a cookbook. It will teach you the right way to eat and you can learn to make foods that you enjoy in a more healthy way. The program works. I highly recommend buying the book and working the system. My family, a few friends, and some of the guys at the firehouse are now using it. I can honestly say that this book saved my life and it will help you drastically improve your life too. It's not a diet book, it's a life changing book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband loves the meals in this book, February 10, 2010
Hubby was your average meat and potatoes and a microbrew man, that needed to get back in control, but he really could not imagine NOT buying packs of huge, beautiful marbled steaks at Costco. He is not one to diet, but decided it was time, and the book appealed to him.

Hubby was concerned about being hungry, but he is really surprised, he is not starving, even on the day during the 4 day jump start (which has less calories) when he was in meeting all afternoon and did not have time for his snack.

He really likes the "fire water", which for some reason compels you to drink more water. I make it just to have around the house, and I really like it also.

The book is getting him to try new foods, and he loves them - I think that the variety really helps.

Whether it is the right book for you, I cannot say, but I can say it is working for our family, and we get a kick out of seeing what interesting thing we will cook up next.

Any diet that you cut calories and do even a little bit of movement will do the trick, but it just takes the right book for the right person to motivate, and this was the one for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars diet my husband loves, January 30, 2010
This diet is really not a diet, but a way of eating. My husband loves it! He loves the food and it is really easy. I am eating much of the same things and we both feel the difference. Lots of energy. We have only been following it for a week, so I am excited to see what happens at the end of the 30 days. There are fantastic recipes in the book, that don't even seem like "diet" food! Highly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works but Requires a Lifestyle Change, February 27, 2012
I first learned about this diet after an older co-worker of mine (about 55) lost a significant amount of weight over the course of 2 or 3 months.

I originally tried the diet before the "For Men" version was released but the two are fundamentally the same. When I tried the diet the first time, I was about 29 years old, 5'9", and 220 Lbs. I was also working a full-time job and taking evening MBA classes 3 nights a week. I was able to keep up the diet for about 4 weeks before I fell off the wagon; my lifestyle made it too difficult for me to maintain the diet, particularly the food preparation (and reduced alcohol consumption). I did lose about 10 lbs. over the 4 weeks but I gained it all back over the next year.

I returned to the diet again in December of 2011. This time, I purchased the "For Men" version of the book and read it thoroughly; I really wanted to make it work this time. When I started the diet a second time, I was 33 years old, and now a whopping 235 lbs. During the first 4 days of the diet, which seems very gimmicky but works, I lost about 6 lbs. Over the course of the next three weeks, I continued to lose gradually until my total weight loss was about 15 lbs, and about 2" off my waist. Then I mostly plateaued for the next month, hovering around 220. I had started to get a little lazy on the diet and I was still "cheating" on the weekends and eating too many calories (mostly in beer). I recently doubled-down on the diet becoming more strict with my weekend food consumption and now adding exercise into my diet -- I have been lifting weights and running on a treadmill. The weight has started slowly coming off again and I am on target to hit my target weight of 190lbs. in 12 months. Also, just by my cooking differently for dinner, my wife has also lost about 6 pounds, and she isn't even on the diet!

A few things to remember:
- Rapid weight loss is BAD!!! Your body wants to retain fat as energy reserves. It's an evolutionary throwback to the days before there was a McDonald's on every corner. If you lose weight too fast, your body will fight you by slowing down your metabolism and counteracting your dieting. That's why this diet calls for 2000 calories a day.
- You MUST change your lifestyle; if you lose your weight on this diet and then go back to eating the way you used to, you will gain it all back.
- Exercise is key. Not only will you lose weight faster but, I have found it helps me regulate my appetite as well. I get much less hungry throughout the day after running 3 or 4 miles.
- You will have to become much more disciplined. You have to make sure to eat breakfast every morning. You have to make your meals the night before and bring them with you to work; you CANNOT pull this diet off by buying your food from cafeterias, restaurants, or even "Healthy" places like Subway. The problem is that you don't know what's in the food so you cannot effectively gauge caloric intake, MUFA consumption, or Saturated Fat intake.
- You will have to experiment with new food. There was a previous reviewer who complained about the use of spices such as Cardamom; You will have to experiment with new spices like these to keep your food appetizing. If you pack a food with fat, sugar, and salt it will taste good no matter what. If you remove all that stuff, you have to become much more creative with your food.
- You must invest $20 in a good digital food scale... AND USE IT! You will be amazed by how little the difference between 1 serving and 2 servings of peanut butter look like, except the latter is an extra 180 calories.... yikes!

Some additional foods I would recommend trying out with the diet:
- Smoked Paprika (adds a smoky, bacon-ish flavor to stuff)
- Annato seeds (cook in oil to give the oil a bright red color and great flavor. Great for caribbean and mexican cooking)
- Cumin
- Japanese rice seasoning (a mix of sesame seeds, seaweed, and other flavors... just watch the calories)
- Cauliflower - Ugly, bland, but very filling. Toss it raw into a blender with some garlic, salt, and olive oil. Then put it into a dish and bake it at 300F for 15 minutes. It tasts great, is incredibly filling and a whole head of cauliflower isn't even close to your single-meal limit of 400 calories.

Give it a try, be patient, and good luck! Remember, healthy weight loss is not rapid weight loss. The Biggest Loser is not an example you want to follow.

--Matt

4.0 out of 5 stars Flat Belly Diet for Men, September 25, 2010
Charles Huff (Aurora, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
Do you remember the adage "Pinch an inch" to see whether or not you had excess weight to lose? Well, after reading this book and applying its principles, I am happy to say that I can now pinch an inch. I'm happy because I could once pinch much more than that! My wife and I have tried several diets only to put the pounds back on and then some. I think this one is working for us for three reasons: 1) I did the reading and training instead of relying totally on her; 2) This is not a fad diet with crazy recipes; adn 3) we changed our eating habits not our buying habits--no special ingredients that we would normally not buy. Some of my old cravings are gone. It's neat to be able to stand in the grocery line and not hear the candies calling my name.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow but steady, March 30, 2010
Lea (Dallas, TX) - See all my reviews
My husband has lost 2 inches around his waist and about 8 pounds in the 4 weeks that he has been using this book. It really makes a lot of sense. He especially likes that no food is really off limits as long as you control portions and add a MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acid) to every meal. He was hoping that he would have lost more weight by now but slow and steady seems a better way to go - weight usually stays off better this way rather than dropping a lot quickly. The fire water is helping him to drink more water. All and all, this is a really good lifestyle eating makeover rather that simply a diet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tips for lunch, February 22, 2013
This review is from: Flat Belly Diet! for Men (Paperback)
I already had two Flat Belly Diet books. I have been feeding my man from them. While this hasn't quite lived up to the others, it really has some better realistic options for lunches that the other two books do not have. The options include pantry ingredients that I usually have, and this is a big help. Also, the lunch options have turned out to be tastier than some from the previous books. This is helpful for people who do not want to spend a long time in the kitchen, but still have good food. We have both lost about 10 pounds so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars successful results, September 4, 2010
I first started the Flat Belly Diet last Winter. I was 240 pounds, and after 2 months was down to 220 pounds. I was able to keep the weight off. I don't use measurements any more, just watch my portions. Over the summer I gained about 3 pounds, and I'm ready to run the 30 day program again. This is not a diet, this is a lifestyle. For those critics that say this is a bland diet, this is incorrect. The hot sauce on brown rice is excellent during the 30 day period. Currently I use a variety of spices, including Montreal pepper, and Mrs.Dash that enhance the flavor of food. This Diet attacks the belly bloating. After 30 days my pants were falling off.The FBD for Men, was fun to read. They address our weak spots, and give you ways to deal with them. I'm excited to start the exercise regiment recommended in the book. If your serious about losing weight, this is the book to buy, and will explain why other diets do not work. They have added BBQ recipes that are great!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works., March 20, 2010
This program is a lot to undertake, but it really works. I have found that just by doing situps and cruches, I still have some flab, but using this diet, I have seen results. I think most men could follow it and get a lot out of it. I know I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works (from the little woman), December 31, 2009
Although I haven't bought the "for men" version of this book, I'm betting that it's not too different from the original "for women" version. And if you're looking through diet books, you're probably looking for a plan that works.

The bottom line is that it works. My husband lost 7 pounds in 5 days, and went on to loose another 10. And yes, it did appear to shrink his abdominal fat - targeting the most dangerous weight. And he was able to stick with the plan easily. The meals are filling because of the fats included in the recipes.

The diet has two sets of recipes. During the first four days, you eat a highly restrictive diet designed to flush all digestive irritants that could cause gas, ditch the salt to reduce bloating, etc. The rest of the diet has much more interesting recipes. If you can't handle a chicken breast on brown rice with a cup of green beans, just skip straight to the next part part. You'll still loose weight. And if you'd prefer, just skip this book and buy the flat belly RECIPE book. I make some of them for guests that come to our home, they're that good.

Flat Belly Diet! for Men
Flat Belly Diet! for Men by Liz Vaccariello (Paperback - December 21, 2010)
$15.99 $14.39