5.0 out of 5 stars This is the official Afterburner handbook.
Published on June 6, 2005 by S. Boyle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a reliable source for business knowledge.
This guy can fly. That's it. He has ripped off and cut up John Wardens concept of business planning, system thinking etc. And he has added some things that fighter pilots do at the lower level.
This book is about tactics, not strategy. The only intresting part of the book is the chapter about briefing. Nothing new here!
And I would say that it is difficult to...
Published on October 10, 2009 by Daniel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the official Afterburner handbook., June 6, 2005
If you haven't had the opportunity to experience an Afterburner seminar yet, this book links you into their entire process top-down, from strategy to the flawless execution model to the people who carry out the mission. As head of Training for my organization, I was particularly interested in the section Murph dedicated to training. In the business world we don't place enough emphasis on the importance of training our people - in the military they never place someone in an environment they are not prepared to be in. Training seems to always get sacrificed because we're too busy carrying out tasks to get pulled away. Murph speaks on training to achieve a (specific) Desired Learning Objective, seeing how its done and then doing it - learning from experience. In the corporate world there is much we can learn from military processes. Flawless Execution is a process that can be applied to every business objective - its asks the questions: Did we plan right? Communicate to our people clearly? Give our people the tools they need to execute their job? And, did we capture lessons learned so we can sharpen the saw next time? It's a powerful tool we're applying in my organization with much success. I just hope our competitors don't read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pray this guy is never your competitor, May 12, 2005
Frank, practical advice with a no nonsense approach...just like you'd expect from guys that operate in a space where coming in second isn't an option.

This is a no BS look at how to improve any organization's ability to kick the competition's butt. You won't find "theoretical" discussions from a group of "academics." No charts and graphs. No fancy formulas. Just dozens of ideas that anyone with a desire to improve can implement. The "debrief" section and advice Murph provides has literally changed the way we operate in our company.

Read it...and you'll understand why the USAF is the best in the world. More importantly, you'll see how their training methods can make you better. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, May 10, 2014
Excellent way to adapt Air Force proven Techniques into Business execution processes
Very Well Done ! Push it up !

4.0 out of 5 stars Great business book for leaders looking to align their organization., January 2, 2014
This was a quick read that you will want to go back to reference several times! I would recommend this book to my colleagues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Insight On Execution, October 11, 2009
This book has provided some incredible insight regarding some challenges that many companies face when trying to execute a mission or business plan. It's give me some great ideas on how to improve my company and help my employees execute thier "missions". I've used the book as the basis of some of my blog posts at [...].

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!, January 6, 2009
Steve Taylor (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flawless Execution: Use the Techniques and Systems of America's Fighter Pilots to Perform at Your Peak and Win the Battles of the Business World (Paperback)
I first read this in the airport waiting for a connecting flight - I could not put it down. When I got home I immediately bought the book for all my people at work. This is worth more than any price if it is truely put into action - a must read for the serious business person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and appealing, September 26, 2010
I found this book a refreshing read, building on previous works in the field of management by the author.

The overlaying of the principals and process of military preparation and execution of assignments does have application in the business world. Maybe not completely - but significantly.

Reading this book allowed me to reflect on processes and effectiveness in a professional services firm which I head, and make a couple of worthwhile adjustments which we have carried forward with success.

I always think if you can take just a couple of things from a business book and apply those over the long term you have done well. I believe there are a number of such lessons and approaches in this text that have real world business application.

Well done to the authors.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a reliable source for business knowledge., October 10, 2009
And I would say that it is difficult to apply it to a regular business. The only business that could benefit from this concept is Consulting type of businesses and thats what theese AFTERBURNER guys does.

Ok, it's worth a read. But leave it at that. This guy is a pilot trying to think business, don't be a businessman trying to think pilot.
It is a tactical book. Apply if you want but I won't.

However, John Wardens ideas and concepts are important. But that's another story. And read John Wardens books if you want to get into that...

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless Execution, July 13, 2009
The book is an excellent read for someone learning to set goals in striving towards the big picture...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Business Book I've Read!!!!, May 11, 2005
Just finished Business School and I think Flawless Execution should have been required reading! It gave me a clear path to connect my big picture strategy (both professional and personal) to things I can work on everyday. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone and will make sure it is a part of every organization I work with in the future.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›