on November 3, 2008
Format: Hardcover
didn't know what he was talking about.

I have watched Dick Morris for years and like the way he analyzes politics but he sure doesn't know anything about the stock market and the mortgage mess.

I got the feeling I was reading a bunch of off the wall bull when in Chapter 8 he calls Christopher Dodd and Barney Frank "courageous and heroic" in taking on the banks for their .... ATM Fees!!!

When he gets to the chapter on the Sub Prime Mortgage mess he never mention those two buffoons who should be duck walked into the nearest prison for what they did... taking money from bankrupt mortgage companies "Wamu" and putting gay lovers in charge of affordable housing at Fannie Mae. Instead he blames Loan Officers for writing bad loans to people the Congress and President Clinton forced Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to make loans to.

Don't believe me... Google "Affordable Housing Initiatives" and see for yourself.

I stopped reading at this point... no reason to fill my head with a lot of inaccurate rantings from Mr. Morris.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 25, 2008
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I have watched Dick Morris before so I decided to read his book. It is just hard to believe how the politicians are selling us down the road and we are paying for it with our tax dollars. The everyday citizen would be arrested and jailed for what they receive a paycheck for. As a senior citizen and a Vietnam Vet I am not only saddened, but very scared of the immediate future. Whats happening to the United States is certainly not what I fought for. Dick Morris's book is very informative about whats going on TODAY and I have randomly checked some of what I read and found it to be true. This is a must read for everyone that plans to vote! God help us all......
VINE VOICEon June 24, 2008
Format: Hardcover
Let me start out by saying I'm not convinced Dick Morris is a right wing anything. After all he served President Clinton during his administration. I suspect that what is happening is that individuals are aligning themselves as Conservatives and Liberals regardless of party names.

Fleeced is an indictment of large government and idiotic ideas and not a lambasting of democrats or petting of republicans. Whether it's a Congress who can't or won't get anything done or a government that is so grid locked that neither sides wants to give in first, Fleeced deals with the problem in an even handed way. Dick Morris is a consumate insider in Washington. I find his reasoning to be dead on.

Morris contends that 425 terrorists have been released from Gitmo and that 50 of those have been retaken or killed in Iraq. I heard that the figure was close to 100. I suspect the time lag is at work here, but the fact of the matter is that many of the detainees are infact combatants...perhaps all of them.

Is Fleeced a right wing manifesto? No. Morris is very even handed in his criticism. He indicts McCain for not showing up for his day job just as hard at he slams Clinton and Obama. He goes after all of Congress, Democtat and Republican.

I still have some reading to do to finish Fleeced. I've bounced around from chapter to chapter. Suffice it to say that if you're not upset after reading Fleeced I can't imagine why.

I highly recommend Fleeced to anyone who cares for this country.

Peace always
4949 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon August 27, 2008
Format: Hardcover
This is a well done expose of those who 'fleece' the citizenry in a number of ways.

In a book that has perhaps the longest subtitle ever, Dick Morris exposes those 'fleecers' including politicians on both sides of the political aisle, the media, big corporations, teachers' unions, and many more. As he is an equal opportunity basher, many readers will likely be offended in some way (he has examples of John McCain as well as Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama).

Some of the better parts of the book include the following:

1. Barack Obama - Morris outlines many problematic areas with the self proclaimed 'the one'. One of the most important parts is showing all of Obama's tax plans. Morris' conclusion: 'Together, these proposals would be crippling to our economy.' He does a great job of showing exactly how that would be.

2. The Do-Nothing Congress - Morris shows just how 'grueling' the work schedule is for our elected representatives. He documents how 'in the entire year 2007, the House of Representatives worked only three five-day workweeks.' That is just the tip of the iceberg for this group of slackers. He does a great job of showing a great many of their dubious 'accomplishments', which are laughable to say the least. He also makes a great point about how John McCain, Barack Obama, and others who have run for president have essentially taken anywhere from a few months to a couple of years off of this cushy job to run for president, skipped numerous votes, but still collect their paychecks. As he says, 'They're not doing their job. But they're all still getting paid -$165,000 a year! - for doing nothing.'

3. The plastic fleece - He shows numerous scams that the credit card companies do to rip off their customers. He goes through eleven ways that these corporations use to essentially steal. Although this would have been considered usury at one time, they are free to gouge people in some very disgusting ways.

There are several others. I will forego further examples. Suffice it to say that there are many appalling ways that companies, government entities and others are gouging people. Morris has some solutions that, if implemented by large numbers of readers, could make a big difference.

I would strongly recommend this book.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 21, 2008
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Fleeced was a surprisingly good book. I have not read Morris before but own his counter-spin analysis of Hillary's history (I'll get to it someday). You should know, up front, that Fleeced is improperly grouped with the Obama books but only the initial 40 pages or so concern him. After that Fleeced addresses a panoply of issues. The narrative and its subject matter are straight up populism. Morris has always had a populist edge to him and is more of a Republican than a conservative in my view. That being said, most of his observations are legitimate. Valid points are made concerning the futility of releasing the Guantanamo prisoners ad hoc, the way credit cards scam us with a myriad of fees and cloaked charges, the anti-work ethic of senators and Congressmen, and the nature of the subprime loan crisis. The book could have been 50 pages shorter though as there are innumerable lists included that probably don't need to be here. Apart from that, Morris and wife exceeded my expectations.
Format: Hardcover
This 337 page book is a glaring testament to irrational ideas & policies that are hurting our country across the spectrum of politics, economics, social, & commercial issues. This book is a warning not a tirade.
He bashes both Republicans & Democrats, & Liberals & Conservatives with equal gusto. It should be noted that he has worked for folks of both parties as a political consultant, so those who accuse him of being a "right or left wing nut" are just showing their own ideological biases.

He hits President Bush, the Supreme Court, the whole Congress, crooked lenders, lobbyists working for foreign countries, credit card companies, hedge fund billionaires who are getting tax breaks from the IRS, Halliburton's war profiteering, & John McCain, Hillary Clinton, & Barack Obama for not showing up for their day jobs. He asks a poignant question as pertains to Congress. Why do they get $167,500 a year when they often don't even address the problems & issues facing the country?

His take on the attempts of terrorists in the USA that have been stopped since 9/11/01 was intriguing. One of these men that was released from Gitmo was a Taliban leader who went back to fighting the USA in Afghanistan.

He is also very concerned about the large numbers of teachers leaving their profession, while education is getting far less money than healthcare. Which is likely to remain the case for the foreseeable future since the baby boomers are or are near retirement age. All in all a very detailed & eye opening book.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 17, 2009
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
"Fleeced: How Barack Obama, Media...Liberals...Lobbyists... are scamming us..." by Dick Morris & Eileen McGann. Harper, NY, 2009. ISBN 978-0-06-154777-5, PB 308/290. Notes 30 pgs., 8" x 5 1/4".

A bold, albeit somewhat formless compilation of huge, expensive scams at the expense of taxpayers perpetrated by the White House, President Obama and his cronies as they raise our taxes, redistribute our income and expand government health care, promise immigration reform, and erode protection given by the Patriot Act. They give us a cold look at the liberal media downplaying terrorism, of liberals' secret plan to muzzle talk radio (gets scary here), the expensive do-nothing lackadaisical Congress, U.S. companies funding Iran, well-paid turn-coat lobbyists (former Congressmen), and sections on credit card plastic fleecing, why education is failing, origin of the housing scandal, scams in re-building second homes in flood areas, the sub prime loan crisis, poisoning via tainted children's toys, and much more!

The bottom-line for these politically savvy scam artists is greed, tax evasion and power grabbing, most often via the unwritten pay-to-play rules usually aided by inattention and ineptness of oversight committees, and their rank and affiliations in/to government.

An informative read, it is timely and well penned by the authors (husband and wife) of seven bestselling books including "Catastrophe". Dick Morris was Bill Clinton's political consultant for 20 year. Unfortunately, the authors attempted to pen too much under a single title that the time sequence and subject matter appear to float uneasily and with loose ends. Dick Morris is capable of much better writing than this one, "Fleeced". Nonetheless, it had to be said, one way or the other.
on December 22, 2008
Format: Hardcover
Dick Morris is one of a kind and I enjoyed this book. That said, it probably started out as a culmination of many great columns written by him bundled together to make a book. In the process, some substandard filler material was added. I don't doubt what he says about the left wing/PC agenda, but parts of it are so over the top even for me.

In particular, when detailing the corrosive effect of liberal influences on the American culture, Dick mentioned movies made which he categorized as pandering smoking to kids. If a movie geared towards kids showed people smoking, he surmises that smoking is deliberately promoted to children. Problem is, his list of films includes PG-13 and even R rated movies.

By no stretch of the imagination should an R rated movie be seen as meant for children. For example, he lists "Walk The Line" as one of the movies of 2005 which shows people smoking therefore panders smoking to kids. "Walk The Line" is a movie about the true life of country legend Johnny Cash. Since much of the storyline was set in the 1960s, a time where many people smoked (egad, even indoors!), it of course shows people smoking (duh). How else should the story of real people living their lives as they really did - as smokers - be told? How do we tell a war story without soldiers smoking? Or a cops and robbers flick without scenes of drug use? And as with all R-rated films, children were not the intended audience.

Though I'm with him on the overall premise of the book, Dick went further than he really had to here. There is so much evidence of the left wing influence and its corrosive effect on American culture that stretches of credibility like his movie hit-list are completely unnecessary. Other than that, good book and a worthwhile read from a unique conservative commentator.
on September 22, 2008
Format: Hardcover
I surely enjoyed reading this book by Dick Morris. I could read only a few pages at a time because I got so mad at everybody I had to go read another book to get my mind off what is going on all over this country. How do we let people get away with these things? One thing is for sure--both Democrats and Republicans are guilty. When will we do something to stop this fleecing?
on September 29, 2008
Format: Hardcover
Once upon a time the image was easier to picture. A smooth-talking wise guy would suddenly appear at the office of a judge or a politician with an envelope stuffed with cash. A deal that couldn't be refused was offered and accepted.

It was what it was, bribery and corruption, pure and simple.

Now, as Dick Morris relentlessly points out, page after page, there may no longer be envelopes filled with cash, but there is a far more widespread, and insidious, form of corruption. It may debatably not be as bloody, but the effect is far more expansive, and expensive. And yet, politicians rationalize this neo-corruption as though it has devolved into a legitimate form of governing. After all, if everyone else is doing the same thing, it cannot be wrong - especially when there are so many convenient loopholes, and unexplainable rationalizations to hide behind.

Wrong!

In "Fleeced", Morris describes - and decries - the widespread corruption that compromises the most sacred principles of our Country. NB - in an earlier book, Lou Dobbs equally as passionately shows the impact of this corruption on the very people they allegedly represent in his book, "War Against The Middle Class".

There are so may previous reviews regarding "Fleeced" that I will not redundantly repeat what this book covers, but it is a lot - and it is very tough to take. Suffice it to say that what we need is a new generation of Muckrakers and Untouchables to clean up Washington, and to present the nation with new images that are once again easy to understand - that of corrupting and corrupted lobbyists and politicians wearing handcuffs to bind their greedy hands, and scruffy raincoats to hide their shamed faces as they head off to prison.

In short, "Fleece" will make you angry. More important, I hope it will make you think about your votes in the upcoming elections.