5.0 out of 5 stars And the books just keep getting better....
Published on October 31, 2011 by Avid Reader

In Blood Rights we read an original story but in Flesh and Blood the author uses two tools which I particularly don't like a love triangle and cliffhanger .

Chrysabelle and Mal have a strong connection and the other part of the affair Creek isn't a strong one to unbalance that no matter how much he tries.

Creek is a member of the Kubai Mata a secret...
Published on March 2, 2012 by marina

5.0 out of 5 stars And the books just keep getting better...., October 31, 2011
Book two in Ms. Painter's series finds Mal and Chrysabelle at odds over her delay in keeping her promise to help him find a way to remove his curse. The Covenant has been broken and the veil between humans and other-naturals is gone. As more and more humans discover the reality of vampires, shape-shifters,fey and fringe, the inevitability of war between them looms. Into this mix comes another group, the Kubai Mata, specifically in the person of Creek, a human ex-con recruited by the KM to recover the Ring of Sorrows. The triangle of Mal, Creek and Chrysabelle seethes with emotions barely held in check and confrontation between Creek and Mal over Chrysabelle threatens their uneasy truce. Meanwhile Chrysabelle is determined to do two things - help Mal to find the cure for his curse, and kill Tatianna, the vampiress who killed her mother. Miss Painter juggles these multiple plot lines like a master, keeping this reader turning pages far into the night. The pacing is excellent and the characters so well-drawn, you'll expect them to knock on your door. (If it's after sundown, don't answer.) I put no spoilers in this review to prepare you for the surprises at the end, but can only suggest you read and enjoy. This vampire series with a twist promises to become one of my favorites. If you haven't read the first book in this series,Blood Rights (House of Comarré) is more than worth your time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kristen Painter doesn't disappoint!, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Flesh and Blood (House of Comarré) (Kindle Edition)
* If you haven't read Blood Rights, I don't recommend reading this review unless you don't mind spoilers!

I enjoyed Flesh and Blood even more than Blood Rights! Much more! I guess it could be because there was much less explaining of things. Painter just delved right on in.

This book takes place not long after the events of Blood Rights. Chrysabelle is living in her deceased mother's home now, and Mal is still living in his dilapidated barge on the water - with Doc, of course.

Chrysabelle still owes Mal for helping her. She promised him that she would help lift his curse by visiting the Aurelian, and eventually she finds out the only way left for her to do that requires a blood sacrifice: her own blood.

Mal still refuses to drink from Chrysabelle, and neither of them are even sure that he owns her blood rights now that Fi is dead. Not to mention the weird sexual tension going on! These concerns are pushed to the back burner once these two are brought back together for a greater purpose. Not only do they have to make the sacrifice required to go see the Aurelian, but Tatiana has gained more power, and with the covenant broken - she is free to wield it against anyone she wants. Not only that, but issues with Dominic arise, issues that involve Doc.

Doc has problems of his own. Fiona is dead, yet he still sees wisps of her ghostly form floating around the barge, and eventually finds out that she is reliving her death at the hands of Mal every single night. Doc makes it his goal to bring her back, and has to visit the witch (a voodoo witch who lives out in the swamps, eck!) who cursed him to do it. In finding out what she wants in return, Doc is faced with an impossible task.

We also have a brand new character in this book. Creek. Oh, Creek. I love him! He is part of the Kubai Mata, a group that vampires think is nothing more than a myth. Super-human vampire slayers. Creek has been deemed with the task of protecting Chrysabelle and getting the Ring of Sorrows from her. The Kubai Mata claim this ring has always been theirs, and that is must be brought back into their possession. Of course, things are never that easy! Creek ends up having feelings for Chrysabelle - feelings that go way past protection. Soon, we have a love triangle in the mix of this already intricate plot line. Ah, how I love it!

I just loved everything about Flesh and Blood.

SO much happens in this book.

More and more secrets and intricacies in the plot were introduced. It was crazy! I couldn't stop reading, and I am dying for book 3. I need it NOW.

The love triangle was not annoying or obvious, as they frequently are. Creek and Mal - I honestly couldn't decide which I liked more. Most often in love triangles, you automatically count someone out of the game, but that didn't happen here at all. I sort of think these guys will end up sharing (they, in fact, make a sort of agreement along these lines) Chrysabelle. I'd be totally okay with that outcome! They both have things to offer her. Creek is human, for one thing. Chrysabelle has wanted to escape the vampire world for a very long time, so this is a huge deal to her - and the electricity filled moments between them were quite intense... but there is no denying the deep bond between Chrysabelle and Mal - not to mention the fact that he may own her blood rights.

Then we have Doc. Poor Doc. He's so in love with Fiona, and he's determined to do whatever it takes to free her from her prison of deathly torment; maybe even lose his own life in the process. I love him so much. I have to say, he is my second favorite character (after Creek).

Then we have Tatiana with her insanely evil plans. The swamp witch whose trying to manipulate Doc into doing her bidding (the outcome of this is completely unexpected). We have Dominic and the goings-on at Seven. All sorts of crazy things happening here. Katsumi is up to no good, and learns her lesson - that's for sure.

During all of this, everyone is still trying to get the Ring of Sorrows from Chrysabelle. In this book, we finally find out why everyone and their mother wants this thing. It's big.

One thing I am confused about is that this book is categorized as YA/Teen, but it is set an a very adult world. The characters are all at least in their mid-20's, or older. There are very adult ideas, but nothing is graphic AT ALL. I can't decide if this is a YA or Adult series. It's like this odd mixture of the two. I just feel like I should mention that.

If you've read the first book in the series and were "iffy" on reading book 2, you really need to read book 2. I loved Blood Rights, but this book is 10x better. A fantastic follow-up! There's just too much going on to even touch down on all of it in this review. Just read it. I promise you won't be disappointed. :)

2.0 out of 5 stars I expected much more from this book and I was truly dissapointed!, March 2, 2012
marina (athens, greece) - See all my reviews

Creek is a member of the Kubai Mata a secret organization to protect the humans from all the othernaturals, they are trained and capable of facing all kinds of dangers and they have a deep knowledge of things, he is actually a cool character but around Chrysabelle he acts like a love sick puppy. Oh and I forgot to mention that the Kubai Mata wants the ring of sorrow!.....

In the beginning of this book Chrysabelle and Mal are mad with each other but soon they accept the fact that once more they must work together not only to visit the Aurelian to get the answer to Mal's curse but also to save Doc from Dominic.

Tatiana is still a bitch!

Other than that, the way this books ends is the main reason for the two star review. I understand when a cliffhanger is necessary; I know when the author needs some loose ends to continue the story. In this installment everything is left unanswered, we have so many things unresolved that the final act with the witches was totally unnecessary .

The unfortunate thing is that I have already bought the third one of the series Bad Blood and it's the only reason I'm going to continue reading.

P.S I really like Mal!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good follow up for Blood Rights, June 6, 2013
I don't know if I mentioned this before but I LOVE these covers. Just had to say that. They are the reason I picked the books up to begin with. Sorry, just had to mention that. :-)

Flesh and Blood picks up not long - a couple weeks - after the end of Blood Rights. These poor characters cannot catch a break! Things did not end well for them at the end of the first book, and they are not dealing well now. Chrysabelle and Mal should support each other but instead they are ignoring one another.

And then we meet Creek. While I don't usually like the "second guy" - in my opinion in books the first guy introduced is the right guy - I like Creek. I still don't think he is right for Chrysabelle but I would not be upset with them being a thing; IF Mal found a way to be happy too. I have a feeling Ms. Painter is going to continue to put us all - readers and characters alike - through the ringer.

Tatiana as per usual is a hateful nasty beastly creature. Honestly nothing she does surprises me anymore. She is a fabulous villain, and I really cannot hate her more. I am afraid to say that, because now I am worried she will do something horrible.

All in all, Flesh and Blood is a great continuation of the House of Comarré series and I very much look forward to continuing on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Please grow up as you grow older..., December 29, 2011
My biggest problem with this series is that I don't like Chrysabelle (I know! Kinda important, right?) - she's not balanced as a character and seems juvenile and unworthy of so much devotion. Mal's character is very tormented (for good reasons!) and I expect him to be unreasonable at times and moody. Chrysabelle acts like a prima donna teenager when she doesn't get her way and expects Mal to just trot along beside her obediently as she blithely dishes out but can't take it. I understand about character development and that Chrysabelle has been thrust into an existence very different than the one she's been living for years - but still. I just get turned off by characters that are beings who have been living much longer than any human ever could, yet still have the maturity of a 13yr old. I'm not into the "sharing" love triangle developing either only because Mal's character deserves to know that he is good enough all on his own and I just don't see that happening if his love interest doesn't want only him in the long run. The writing and overall storyline are good though and pulls me in enough that I can grit my teeth and try to get over not liking the heroine and go ahead and read the next book

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the way that this series is progressing...., November 16, 2011
My Review:
hmmm, book #2 in this wonderful series was....just as freaking good as book #1. If not even better because there was an intro to a yummy new character, a human Kubai Mata member, Creek. The Kubai Mata are a legendary group set out to defend humans from the vampires. Most people don't even think that they actually exist, but with the fall of the covenant (book #1,) they are re-establishing their place in this war. Creek's job is to protect Chrysabelle and locate the ring of sorrows. This is definitely setting up a love triangle to the series, but what I like about this triangle is the relationship that is developing between Mal & Creek. I really like these two guys together and although they don't trust each other, they respect the fact that they are both trying to keep Chrysabelle safe. It really added an interesting twist to the whole feel of the book.

This book was full of the same intrigue and adventure from the first book. There is an amazing group of characters. Many that you love, many that you love to hate and a few that you just hate, but there is tons of action that keeps the book moving at an astounding pace. There were some twists at the end that I can't wait to see how they play out in the coming book/s. I love how Chrysabelle is continuing to grow as she learns to live outside the Comarre society. She has always been a kick-ass chick, but as she comes into her own and is realizing how to live her life, she is becoming even more so and you can't help but to cheer her on.

I continue to absolutely adore Mal. He is such a tortured hero, that my heart simply bleeds for him...and even better, he adores Chrysabelle with all of his being. He simply won't give into that passion though, because he knows that she deserves better. This is a character who thinks that he's beyond redemption, but he cares so deeply for those around him....Doc, Fi, and Chrysabelle. Even with Creek, whom he hates because of the connection between him and Chrysabelle, he treats with total and complete fairness that most guys with jealousy issues would never be able to pull off.

I am LOVING this series...the world, the characters, the intrigue. It is all so good and so well-written!! The world is so complete and has so many levels. I cannot wait for book #3, Bad Blood, coming out at the end of the month. Yippee!

4.0 out of 5 stars I gave it 3.5 stars, November 5, 2011
I love that these books are being released back to back. Book 1 BLOOD RIGHTS was released Oct 1, and Book 3 BAD BLOOD is scheduled to release Dec 1. I would recommend reading BLOOD RIGHTS before you pick up FLESH AND BLOOD so that you don't miss out on some important back story.

FLESH AND BLOOD picks up shortly after the events of BLOOD RIGHTS. Chrysabelle is back at home and trying to get over the loss of her mom. She has a promise to keep to Malkolm and is finally ready to help him. There is a lot that happens and a lot is introduced in FLESH AND BLOOD your mind will be all over the place taking it all in. The storyline is still very interesting and I really like the world that Painter has written (I almost said painted but thought you might laugh at me). All of the main supporting characters are easy to like and follow. I can not stand Tatiana, she is beyond ridiculous and I can not wait until she gets what she deserves. There are quite a bit of different POVs involved in the book and it can get a little disappointing at times as you will really want to see what someone is thinking and it will switch to someone else. My biggest dislike? The love triangle. I mean WHY? What is the point of it? I think it is completely unnecessary. I really like Chrysabelle and Malkolm and they really like each other, there is a ton of lead up to their relationship so why bring in Creek? Now don't get me wrong I do LIKE Creek I just think the whole love triangle 3 way (yes they agree to share Chrysabelle) relationship is silly. Maybe it will get better in BAD BLOOD? I don't know. Didn't care for it though. FLESH AND BLOOD ends on a gigantic cliffhanger so there is no doubt that you must read BAD BLOOD when it comes out.

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, a little romance, a little action, December 16, 2011
Flesh and Blood is the second in the House of Comarre series. Yes. This is another series where I am reviewing book two first..

Despite this I had no trouble picking up the story, probably due to the fact that the genre of gothic fantasy with vampires is as old as Cain. That and Ms Painter has provided the reader with a nice glossary that outlines her particular take on the genre.

Painter's romance writing roots are evident in this novel; there's a love triangle, two bad boy alpha males and a subplot which is romantic love in action. The sexual tension between characters, while not a focus of the nove,l is more prominent that in other Urban Fantasy I have read. Don't be put off by what romance there is though, Painter does a good job of balancing the romance with bloodthirsty action and a little mystery.

More True blood than Twilight.
--------------------------------
Like True Blood (Sookie Stackhouse series) it's a fairly light read and I found the characters to be believable. Chrysabelle is a strong protagonist that seems to suffer the psychological effects of her experiences more so than say the character of Sookie in Charlaine Harris' novels. The world and its mythical races seems to hang together a bit better too.

The dialogue and character motivation was a bit thin in places but Painter tells a good story and I was able to get past some of the weaknesses I perceived.

The Story
-------------
Chrysabelle, a comarre (humans bred to provide blood for Vampires) knows the location of the Ring of Sorrows, an artefact of dark power. The mad noble vampire Tatiana of the House of Tepes wants it and will enjoy killing and torturing Chrysabelle to get it.

She'll have to get through Malkolm her ex husband and patron of Chrysabelle as well as the newcomer Creek an ex-con and member of the mysterious Kubai Matta.

Just fresh enough
------------------
When writing about vampires, there's not much wiggle room for originality. The genre, dare I say it, has been done to death. Painter manages to freshen it up enough for the story to flow. The background isn't all that original - the covenant has fallen Vampires are exposed to the world. There are a plethora of clans/ divisions of vampires and various other mythical races. If you're a connoisseur of all things vampire there's echoes of various movies and roleplaying games in The House of Comarre series.

The only thing that really jarred for me was the story being set in the year 2067. We have an android that appears briefly in the first half of the novel. But other than that I am not sure why Painter set the novel in the future nor mentioned the technology other than for flavour. It seemed tacked on to me. Flesh and Blood reads very much like it is set in contemporary America.

Like most book twos it serves mostly as a bridge from book one to three [1]. There's some resolution for a couple of minor characters but in the end we are left with uncertainty for the protagonist and the appearance of a major villain.

An easy read, fans of Buffy or Blade will probably enjoy it.

This book was provided to me at no cost by the publisher.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Having just looked at the publication schedule I note that there are actually five books in this series, all released within months of each other. So perhaps the plotting is indicative more of serialised fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid second installment, December 13, 2011
This second installment in the House of Comarre series builds beautifully on the events of the first book, returning us to a blindingly gorgeous pair of opposites who, for all their differences, are both struggling to escape the confines of a life not of their choosing. Ms. Painter is extraordinarily aptly named-an artist exquisitely capable of crafting characters who are carefully rendered studies in contrasts-wielding black type on a white page as opposed to brushstrokes on a canvas but creating a work of art just the same. In this tale we begin to see some interesting shading take place, where Chrysabelle and Malkom were pretty clearly delineated light and dark in book one we now begin to see them blend, highlights and lowlights combining to create a picture with more depth and detail than we saw previously, and we stand back appreciatively to search each new shade of gray for meaning we know is there waiting.

For all that Chrysabelle is glittering gold filigree to Malkom's tortured blackness, we get the pleasure of watching them tentatively step away from their opposite ends of the spectrum and hesitantly move toward middle ground and perhaps the comfort and sanctuary for which they've both long been searching. They are such stunning contradictions: the purity of the comarre versus the perceived stain of a cursed vampiric soul, with Chrysabelle's air of royalty and desired rank versus Malkom's displaced nobility making their pairing all the more fascinating to read as they slowly try to shed the roles that have defined them previously and find a new beginning. Watching as Chrysabelle flounders a bit trying to figure out who she is if not wholly and completely comarre and as Malkom dares to put his faith in someone else when all the hands that received his love and loyalty previously have spread their fingers wide to let those gifts sift through is both exhilarating and painful, but their difficult journey ensures our unwavering interest through to the very end.

The introduction of a new possible romantic interest is initially a bit of a detraction to the overall story, our love for Malkom based the time spent with him already as well as our knowledge of the brutal betrayals that make up his past forcing our hackles up as though he and Chrysabelle are ours to protect from any unwanted influence. Vampire slayer Creek is nearly impossible to dislike however, and Ms. Painter does an admirable job of not turning this story into a competition for Chrysabelle's affections, but rather she works him into events in a way where his importance extends far beyond that of mere romantic foil character for the main couple. We know some things about him but certainly not all, and there is enough about him left in the unknown category to keep us on our guard and suspicious of his motives despite his status as an ally to both Malkolm and Chrysabelle.

As with Blood Rights, Flesh and Blood is teeming with interesting twists and turns, alliances made and dissolved quickly and easily to keep our minds churning as to exactly who we can trust, who could be playing us and those we care about, and who is the biggest bad of them all. Ms. Painter has a gift for writing characters who epitomize both good and evil but who also prove there are varying degrees to such categorization, making each classification far broader in scale than we might think before reading. We are left with not a cliffhanger per se, but definitely with events left unresolved and some very large questions looming so that our need to pick up the next book and start it is one that will not be ignored.

Rating: 4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars The Adventure Continues - Amazing Follow Up To Blood Rights!, November 19, 2011
This is the second book in the House of Comarré series and its a great follow up. We continue the story a few weeks after BLOOD RIGHTS ends and if you're a fan of the first book, you're dying to know how Chrysabelle, Malkolm, Dominic, Doc and even the evil Tatiana are managing since we last saw them.

Some books you end up actually like the villian and some books you just down right hate them & wish nothing more than their demise. Tatiana falls into the latter category. I knew she was evil in BLOOD RIGHTS but I was curious about her but after seeing what she did in that book I would rather see her turn into a nice, lovely pile of ash. She has no second thoughts about using people to help get what she needs and the second she get gets what she needs (or is betrayed by said help), she eliminates them. A being such as Tatiana has no soul, no heart, no conscience; that makes her dangerous.

Mal and Chrysabelle - they make the oddest pairing but they work . . . if only they would realize this. Mal is a vampire who has been cursed; if he ever drinks from a vein he kills his `food' and will be haunted by their voice in his head as well as their name tattooed on his body. Chrysabelle is from a noble vampire home where she served as her patron's comarré - a human raised to provide their blood to the noble vampire families. The tension, the confusion between them makes for a great story. They make it apparent they have feelings for each other but neither are brave enough to admit their feelings for the other...or are they?

We're introduced to a new, attractive human guy named Creek. He's sexy, like really sexy but I still can't find myself to like him. Well maybe that's a lie. I do like him...when he's alone. I don't like him when he tries going after Chrysabelle's attention. Sorry. I'm so in love with Mal & Chrysabelle that Creek wanting her bothers me to no end. I just want to shove my arm into the story and slap him one. But he's important to the story and important in protecting Chrysabelle, along with Malkolm. Which, as you can probably guess, makes for some really awkward situations. Two guys who are interested in the same girl, one of which is actually in love with her. Argh...love triangles. Frustrating as they might be...I secretly love them. But Creek is important...and he's not exactly human either...but I won't spoil that surprise for you.

Now, for Doc. I love him, I really do. You felt his pain in this book, you admired his struggle and you held your breath when you thought it might all be over for him. One thing I admire about him, that I would admire in just about anybody is when he wants something, there is nothing that can stop him from getting what he wants. And what he wants is Fionna, the woman he loves, back. He deserves a hug.

Dominic. He's a tricky character for me. I don't trust him 75% of the time the other 25% I'm trying to find out exactly what's in it for him. Even after two books with him in it, I'm not sure how I feel about him. I want to like him, a lot - I do, but there's something about him that stops me. I can't quite put my finger on it yet. I'll just have to keep reading.

I recommend this book. Obviously, only after you've read BLOOD RIGHTS but I highly recommended that book and why start a series and not finish it? Right? Right. It's an amazing follow up to BLOOD RIGHTS but it doesn't quite reach the same level. It's close...super close. Close enough that I'm super excited to read the next book, BAD BLOOD. This series doesn't disappoint.

Flesh and Blood (House of Comarré)
$6.64