Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

on April 23, 2010
Wow! Where do I even begin? The details of this book were so incredible that I felt as if I was on this journey as I read. This story has edified my faith that God is who He says He is and will do what He said He will do!! It enveloped me from beginning to end. I wanted to read slowly to grasp it all and yet I found myself reading it quickly as I couldn't wait to read what was going to happen next. For anyone who is searching for the truth about life and afterlife, this book is for you. It is a true, incredible, detailed encounter of God's ultimate love for His creation and the future plans He has for you!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2010
As Dale shares his struggles, miracles and triumphs, it is evident that he gives all the Glory to
the Creator of Heaven and Earth; the Creator that gave His only Son Jesus Christ, for a lost world.

It is also evident that this "trip of a lifetime" on his Flight to Heaven,
altered his heart to an extent, that he felt God's love for the people of this world,
in a new and nearly unexplainable way.

Reading of the glorious aspects of Heaven was astonishing and there was a feeling of
having the experience with him, as the story unfolds.
Equally amazing were the miracles he experienced as
he received healing through his faith in God's power.

I would love for everyone I know to read this book.
on March 7, 2011
Many faith-based books focus on heaven as their main theme. This story, in my opinion, seemed to star "The Captain" as its main character. I don't believe that was his intention, but the constant reference to his career status, his physical prowess, and his accomplishments both before and after the crash competed for the readers attention.

I don't doubt Captain Black's sincerity and vision. His faith had been set in place years before as far back as his grandparents. The crash tested it, and then reinforced his commitment. If you have the patience to read through the repetitious material, that fact becomes apparent.

Many of the obvious flaws with this book lie more with the editor than the author. The inability to stick to a main subject or theme, the endless redundancies, the general lack of cohesiveness lay at the foot of the editor. One example, did the reader really need a list of all the types of planes flown by Captain Black? A man with a multi-decade career flying that included TWA doesn't need more descriptive material to back up his credentials as a professional pilot. That seemed a bit braggadocio and lead the reader off topic.

Captain Black stepped out in faith to present his personal relationship with God. His story might be a great help to many in need who are looking for real inspiration. It is obvious, Captain Black's faith has real conviction. However, this book falls short of doing it justice.
on February 8, 2011
This book wasn't too bad, but, nothing too special on the description of what you and I are REALLY looking for when it comes to the description of Heaven. The story of the man in the crash goes on for a very long time, about 96 pages or so until he gets to the Heaven part, and its very short even when he gets to that, about 14 pages or so[both sides of the page]. After that he just keeps talking about his recovery. Bless the man for surviving the "unsurvivable crash", but, I got a better description of the afterlife and Heaven through website articles and youtube videos, honestly. I mean who are we kidding? You saw the title of the book and thought, "Fantastic, a whole book about Heaven!" [which is exactly what I thought] Sorry, but, definitely NOT the "best book on Heaven." Even though it's still awesome he had an experience with it that not everyone can have. Regardless, a VERY good [true] story of survival and spiritual growth in our beloved Christ.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2010
A trained pilot...a plane crash....only one survivor. This is what Dale Black experience at the young age of 19. But that is not all he experienced. He experienced heaven, and this was an experience like no other.

I am glad that Dale shared his experience in this book and am glad he followed his grandfather's advice to live a life that reflects his heavenly experience, and not a life that capitalizes on his experience. I am also glad that Paule Black encouraged her husband to write down his experience after living a life of purpose. It wasn't just the experience of heaven that is amazing, but also the obedient life that Dale had lived.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the truths that Dale lived. He realized that his responsibility is not to provide the living water but to point the way to the well, "the well of Living Water that God offers each of us through a relationship with His Son, Jesus Christ." I pray that I can be like Dale and point the way to the well.

To comply with new regulations introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, I must post that Bethany House has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book to review. I also must say that the opinions are all mine.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2013
I would not recommend this book. It was a disappointment, as the experience in heaven was a minute part of the book, and it turned out to be mostly a braggy list of accomplishments by the author.
on July 11, 2010
I have read several books with people's testimonies who claim to have seen Heaven. Captain Black's experience is consistent with Scripture. His personal struggles and his sharing of how his faith grew is inspirational, and is again consistent with Scripture. I encourage anyone who loves to hear a good solid testimony, which encourages one to grow in their faith, to read this book.

Dan Tankersley, Co-Author of The Rain
on July 22, 2010
At the age of 19 Capt. Dale Black was in a horrible plane crash in which he was the sole survivor.
He tells us of his out of body experience and trip to Heaven while hovering near death.
He doesn't just tell us about his Heavenly visit but also tells us of his tragedies and triumphs while on the road to healing. Even though the prognosis was grim he was determined to fly again. So putting his faith in God he eventually is able to achieve his dream once again.
This is an amazing story of faith, hope, and what God can do for us if we will only allow him. I highly recommend this book to anyone that wants a glimpse of Heaven and reassurance that God is real.
I was provided a copy of this book to review by Bethany House but in no way does it alter my opinion of this amazing book.
on December 18, 2013
This book is about 187 pages long; the author talks about Heaven in only 3 pages. The other 184 pages are all fillers, I thought this book was mostly about his experience in Heaven but it is not. He drags on and on with a lot of trivial information like what he had for breakfast one morning, This book is a BIG disappointment.
on July 22, 2010
Flight to Heaven is Capt. Dale Black's captivating story about a terrible plane crash, an excruciating recovery, and a visit to heaven that changed his life and the lives of countless others.

The only survivor of a plane crash, Dale Black's injuries were extensive. In the emergency room, he took another flight---a flight to heaven that forever changed him. Capt. Black's description of the plane crash, his injuries, his recovery, his experience of heaven, and the changes in his life following that experience are riveting. After I started reading, I couldn't put it down!

I'll admit that I was skeptical at first. I wondered if this book was a "head in the clouds" book about a mystical experience that would leave me feeling like I had wasted my time. Flight to Heaven is neither of those things, and it is definitely NOT a waste of time. There are only a couple of chapters that describe Capt. Black's time in heaven and his experiences there, and they are coherent, realistic, and breathtaking. The rest of the book is an inspiring account of how Capt. Black's experience in heaven changed the entire course of his life. He emerged from the wreckage a different person, and many people have benefited from the work God did in His life.

If you're looking for an inspiring account of one man's struggle and God's tremendous love for him---for all of us---then Flight to Heaven is the book for you. Are you dealing with the death of a loved one or struggling to recover from a devastating injury or illness? Pick up a copy of Flight to Heaven for encouragement! Flight to Heaven has something to offer everyone!

Note: I received a free copy of Flight to Heaven from Bethany House Publishers for review purposes. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse