5.0 out of 5 stars Flirtatious and Flying High! Great!
Will Jared and Owen get their own stories? Because, damn, those guys are hot! I downloaded the free chapters and was hooked enough to get the rest. Glad. I. Did. I enjoyed this adventure in New Orleans, which let's face it, is a character in itself. Great atmosphere, character development and my favorite, snarky dialogue. Fun!

This story was mostly about...
Published on September 6, 2012 by The Book Runner

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Time.
I purchased this book based on the positive ratings of the previous reviewers. I have to say that I feel sorry for the adults who buy into this drivel.

Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Time., April 17, 2013
This review is from: Flight (The Crescent Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

This is a paranormal romance novel about a young girl, Allie, who moves to New Orleans to escape her parents and life in general before she attends Princeton in the fall. The story starts out interesting enough but quickly plummets, like a man jumping off a bridge. Allie meets a man named Levi who takes a keen interest in her immediately. She protests vehemently against him and dating in general until, suddenly (but quite expectedly) she caves. You spend the first quarter of the book watching them quip back and forth, in a way that I think the author believes amps up the sexual tension, until with no warning she accepts his advances by simply saying "Okay." the author doesn't even bother to explain why she did this. Was it because she secretly likes him? Are his puppy dog eyes just too much to resist? Or is it simple weary resignation from saying no so often? You have no idea.

I mentioned at the beginning that this is a paranormal romance but the author gives us barely any teasing hints to this fact until the Levi reveals himself to Allie. I think there is literally one quick reference to a side-characters eye color possibly shifting before the very (un)dramatic reveal. Allies reaction is unrealistically stoic.

*SPOILER*
And it just kept getting worse. It's like the author has no clue how a normal person would react to these situations. Levi tricks Allie into marrying him. It's more like a "mate for life" situation, though. He gives her a ring and consummates their relationship without telling her that it means that she now is obligated to become his mate and by the way Al, you can never leave New Orleans. She is subsequently pissed and runs away without hearing his side of the story, on the road she is kidnapped and held for ransom. Levi's friends come and rescue her (I assume Levi is there but he never makes an appearance) and bring her back to New Orleans.

Instead of Levi taking responsibility for lying and tricking his girlfriend, who he supposedly "cares about a lot", into a forced marriage- the direct result of which was her kidnapping. Levi says: "This wouldn't have happened if you didn't run away." HA!

This book is a waste of time and I am tired of buying books based on good reviews which turn out to be full of weak, insufferable characters and bland, monotonous plots.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did i read the same book as everyone else?, July 19, 2013
1 Star.

I'm not really sure if i read the same book as everyone else- from all the five star reviews. But man, did this book bomb out!

Firstly, there was entirely too much dialogue, which is really weird because it's usually the other way around. But seeing as it was written from a first person POV, the author could have really used the protagonists voice to display so much of more of Allison's feelings. Especially due to the fact that often you don't understand why the hell Allie was feeling what she was- ok so she's trying to hold the anger from her tone. But why the freak is she angry?. It all just got really boring, really fast. And from the second chapter i immediately knew this was going to be a painful read.

As for the love interest. I'm not really sure if i have disliked a fictional character that much- bar Voldemort. Levi was, to say the least, painful. On more than one occasion i really wanted to punch him in the face, or really hope that someone else would. Cause wow did this singular person take women's liberation and set it back about a thousand years. His obnoxiousness and possessiveness was just the tip of the ice berg as well. Look, i love a good 'she is mine and only mine' story, but only when executed properly. This was not. Stalker is probably the nicest thing i would label Levi as, and had this been a real life situation i would not have hesitated to get the police involved.

Honestly, there are so many more points in this book that i could rant and rave about, so many more story points i could critique. But i'll just go down my checklist and see how it pans out.
Story progression- apart from the fact that dudes can fly, story didn't really seem to go anywhere. And if it did, it was only because Levi manipulated, conned and overall just hustled everyone into it.

Character progression- If anything there was character regression, if I had found out that the guy i had just slept with put a ring on me and was not his mate i would have no joke either killed him or myself.

Syntax and gramatical errors- Admittedly, overall the book was pretty good in terms of grammar. Sentence structure wasn't too bad, and was probably the only thing that allowed me to give it a star.

Seriously though, did i read a different story to everyone? Because the way that everyone was saying that the relationship between Levi and Alli was electric or whatever really makes me question the headspace of some people. People please take note:
if someone is borderline stalking you and taking that firm 'no' you give him as a blurred lines 'yes', go to the local authorities and get yourself a restraining order. Because i will tell you now, it will not end up like this. Although, with the obsessive, aggressive, disorientating and obnoxious ways of Levi and the situations he gets in you might, just as Alli did, end up with someone and somewhere you really don't want to be.

2.0 out of 5 stars pushover characters..., February 6, 2013
This review is from: Flight (The Crescent Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book and decided to go ahead and get the second book in the series to see if it would get better but I was doomed to disappointment. The idea is good, the delivery kind of sucked. The female protagonist is who I object to most. Over and over the male protagonist just wears her down - he keeps bothering her even when she says no until she is too tired to object anymore and then just does whatever he wants. This is how their dates go, how their sex life goes, and basically how the rest of her life in these stories goes. He makes decisions for her, tells her afterwards, and then either guilts her into going along with it or just nags her until she can't take it anymore and gives in. I'm not the kind of person who likes stories where there is love at first sight or a relationship is smooth sailing from start to finish, but there is zero growth for these characters and imagining myself in the role of protagonist (because that's what we do when we read these stories) is depressing. If I thought I would be dominated by this male character like this I'd probably kill myself and am waiting for that thought to come to the female protagonist in this book... The other annoying issue is the whole reason Allie is in New Orleans was to escape her first boyfriend because "there was no spark." Sorry, but there is a real lack of spark between her and Levi. There is no development of their relationship. It's all her trying to get away and him refusing. It's like he doesn't even care about her even though he tells her he loves her frequently - and when she says she doesn't love him back he just laughs and says she doesn't mean it. Sounds like the start to an abusive relationship... I'm going to finish the second book because I paid for it but that will be the end of this series and this author for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars How to Manipulate Your Partner, 101. ***Contains Spoilers***, August 14, 2013
Heather (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flight (The Crescent Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book infuriated me. First off, I didn't feel any actual chemistry between the two of these characters. That's just a bad author, outside of a horrible plot. Secondly, the characters. I'll start with Allie's parents.

WHAT THE HELL. They're both insufferable.

Her Dad wasnt around most of her life, but wants her to take over his business when he retires. He also seems to feel he can make comments on her love life, referencing her ex-boyfriend from high school who she broke up with because there's no spark. Well apparently he thinks she's just naive to actually want love. That and a horrible family dinner is the only interaction you see from him during the book, in which both her mother and father act like children.

Bringing me to Mommy dearest. She mentions how Toby (Allie's ex), keeps dropping by the house and how he seems to think their breakup is just a misunderstanding, or miscommunication or something... so why won't she give him another chance? She flat out told BOTH her parents why she ended it, yet they keep pushing her on him. At least until her Mom meets Levi, sees he's hot, and gives up the Toby thing. What the hell kind of parents don't want their kid to be happy?

Now for Allie. Well, she's going to Princeton because her Mom went there and wants that in common with her, and she's going to major in business because it's what her Dad wants, although she has no interest what-so-ever in the industry. This I can understand to some extent. What I can't get over, is how she lets her friend Jess push her around into hanging out with guys she has no interest in, although she told her she has no interest in dating over the summer, she keeps getting roped into these things anyway. She's attracted to Levi, but she thinks he's a jerk, he acts like a jerk and there's no actual chemistry to be seen anywhere. Suddenly she gives in to him though, he gives her a ring that's a family heirloom, or so he claims, and then she decides to sleep with him. That heirloom? Oh yea, it's actually a symbol of her status as his mate, and oh yea, Levi's actually the prince of the pterons and once they've consumated the relationship it's permanent. Of course he doesn't tell her this though, so she's tricked and betrayed into it. Queue running away. This I get, Hell I'd have probably done the same.

Think it's been bad so far? This's where things get really bad. So after the consumation of the relationship, she has brunch with Hailey, another pteron who tells her what the ring means, causing her to run away. She's on her way back north when she pulls off the interstate at a rest stop to drown her sorrows in some ice cream. Keep in mind now, this's only a few hours after her finding out about the ring, and even that was only a few hours before she recieved it. So she's at dairy queen and gets kidnapped by cougar shifters, held for ransom and almost raped. The big question for me was.. how the hell did they even know to follow her? No one knew but like, 2 people, that she even had the ring. It makes NO SENSE. So she's resqued in the nick of time, like we didn't see that coming, returned to her hotel and told she can never leave New Orleans again because it's not safe for her. Oh and if she doesn't accept Levi as her mate, and give him an heir at some point, his line will die out and then all of New Orleans will suffer for it because the seat of supernatural power will leave the city and economically devistate it, and the city's been through enough since Katrina... Wow, really? Talk about abusive and controlling relationships. Not only does she get the guilt trip of a lifetime, that she for some reason actually buys into, but then agrees to give him a chance to change her mind about leaving the city. Stupid enough to begin with, but what does he do? Instead of trying to actually convince her of his feelings or something that might actually work, he throws them an engagement party and invites all the big wig supernaturals to it. Oh and he tells his father that she agreed to the engagement.

If that were me, Levi wouldn't have to worry about me forgiving him. He should be worried about me stabbing him.

1.0 out of 5 stars Never Again!!, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Flight (The Crescent Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The first few chapters were well written and setting up for the plot of the book, however; as the book progressed the author never really showed how Allie and Levi' s relationship was developing and only mentioned a few times of their connection they shared, it didnt really feel like these two really were well- suited together. As for the so called 'sexual situations' they share a few kisses and go to have sex- the next page is them waking up, its PG13. Near the end of the book when Allie meet Levi at the coffee shop to discuss what happen was so unrealistic of what would have been a normal person's response, it REALLY annoyed me. I hate that many authors are trying to create a young very independent, mature, polite, an accepting and defeated main female character. What she said to him wasnt enough i felt like i wanted to scream after all that had happened to her and she spoke to him so calmily,so politely trying not to hurt him!!!! her overall response to all the drama in her life was really annoying the author tried to use humour to make it funny- it just didnt work. The way Levi handled the whole situation was so infuriating he was sorry but he was still trying to force their relationship on her, i really hate Levi's character. There was no development in this book and i will not be buying anymore from this author, it wasnt worth the money i spent on it, it had such potential i especially liked the setting in New Orleans. This book was really disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flirtatious and Flying High! Great!, September 6, 2012
This review is from: Flight (The Crescent Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

This story was mostly about Levi and the end of his bad boy ways when he meets Allie, a girl from New York looking to spend time with her father by working at his New Orleans Hotel for the summer. Allie and Levi enjoy quick, intelligent banter that made me giggle while being amazed at Allie's ability to master her emotional pull towards the gorgeous and flirtatious, Levi. Allie had sworn off men, probably because of her own distant relationship with her womanizing father, but man-whore Levi is not taking the brush off seriously, and when he shows her his paranormal powers, Allie loses her ability to remain aloof.

This story has great characters, fun action and some twist and turns you just don't see coming. Levi is a man determined and used to getting what he wants, even if it means he has to be a little underhanded, but he has met his match in Allie, and I am very impatiently awaiting book two to see what happens next. Hopefully there will be LOTS more about Jared and Owen, too!

Would I/Did I buy it? Yes (2.99)
Would I read it again? For Review
Would I recommend it to friends? Yes

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice story line...Horrible delivery., September 14, 2013
This review is from: Flight (The Crescent Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really was intrigued in the story line and idea of the novel. I like that she's pretty and knows it but is not snobby about it. I'm tired of all these books that center around a girl who has no self confidence in her appearance when in reality she's gorgeous. The whole I'm-not-beautiful act is overdone and quite frankly, pathetic. So thank you! For giving us a female protagonist who has self-confidence!

The second thing I really enjoyed was Levi. He's cocky and hilarious but at the same time has a soft side and a DEFINITE weakness for Allison, even if she doesn't realize it

Last but not least, I LOVED the storyline. I feel like she could have had a little bit more emotion with the big reveal about him being non-human but other than that I was okay.

With that said however, I must list the things I disliked and even at times despised. I absolutely HATED the fact that whenever things got heated up or even something as simple as a kiss was so poorly written I honestly came close to throwing my iPad out the window. Actually, the whole book was really poorly written. There was one point where the whole page was just dialogue. No emotions. No inner dialogue. Nothing! Just back and forth talking. You had no idea what she was thinking or how she was feeling. Was her heart racing when he touched her? Was she freaking out on the inside about what was about to happen and just hiding it well? We don't know because all we got was what she said. It felt much like a movie script that I was reading and not an actual book. I believe there was one point where they were talking and suddenly it goes //And then he kissed me// and that was the end of scene. WHAT THE HECK?! Even I could have written a better ending. The author could have done so much with that and he/she just left it at what it was. No emotions, no picture painted just the simple fact of what happened and nothing more. Where is the passion?!

Last but not least, I really hated how the author ended the scene whenever things got hot and heavy. Seriously what is this? A book for 7 yr olds?!?! Maybe she doesn't kno how to write a good sex scene without sounding vulgar I don't know but that really bothered me. I mean you are openly talking about sex and whatnot, so why not write about what happened instead of ending it with him laying her on the bed then immediately in the next paragraph they are just laying in bed afterwords. I really really hated it. I feel like the publisher should have just paid the author for her idea and taken it to a better writer to rewrite it with more emotion, passion, and just better writing! This felt rushed and amateur.

So yeah. Storyline and idea are great but the writing was TERRIBLE!!!!! Possibly the worst I've ever read. EVER. And that is saying a lot from me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good premise with poor follow through, April 7, 2013
This review is from: Flight (The Crescent Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Okay, I love paranormal romance. I love the whole I-love-you-more-than-humanly-possible, I'm-gonna-love-you-forever dynamic. But when did it become okay to trap the person you supposedly love and to make them unknowingly bond themselves to you without their understanding or consent? Taking away someone's freedom to choose isn't romantic; it's called emotional abuse.

Second, there are holes in the plot that are never explained. There needs to be more back story. What are these pterons and why were they created? What is their purpose? Why are they more powerful than the other mythical creatures? And what fate befalls the human world if Allie chooses to walk away?

I get that the supposed financial implications to the city of New Orleans may be destructive, but that shouldn't affect Allie. She is much more tied to the fate of New York, her hometown, than New Orleans. She may even harbor feelings for Levi. But that doesn't give the author literary license to take away her common sense.

All in all, I keep having more jarring moments of disbelief than warrant a higher rating for this book. It's a good thing this was a free download or I'd have wasted more than the time spent reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Main Character a Complete Disappointment, March 19, 2014
B. Green (Westport, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flight (The Crescent Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Let me ask you this: Imagine you are thrust into a new world for magic and shapeshifting people. You are an intelligent person, in fact you are going to an IVY League school soon. Your described as mature beyond your years and as girl with a plan. You meet a guy in a bar that you think is somewhat stalkerish. He buys you a drink - keep in mind you are 18 years old - you drink it you ask "What's in it?". He laughs, says it is a secret, and buys you another which you also drink...Really? Can you scream roofy? The book started as a "what not to do" for teenage girls. The main character, Allie, is described as intelligent and strong person but her description does not correlate with any of her actions!

From book:

"It has been taken care of so leave it at that"
Allie: "Ok"

"You don't want to know"
Allie "Ok"

"That's for [Levi] to tell you"
Allie "Ok"

You get the theme. And yes she truly says "OK" to these situations. Most books have a huge lead up to the big reveal but in this novel it was more of a sputter.

It really felt like the author developed a formula: girl meets boy, boy have supernatural power, boy tells girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy's fiends like girl. Sounds familiar? While this formula has been retold many times, this time it was a big miss.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, September 6, 2014
This review is from: Flight (The Crescent Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Allie and her best friend Jessica move down to New Orleans for the summer to work at her dad's hotel before college starts. She meets a boy named Levi who is instantly falling for her and trying to get Allie to go out with him. She has sworn off men, but in a very short time span Levi was able to convince Allie to go out with him. There was really no explanation as to why she has decided to go out with him. The author kind of threw out a few pick up lines (that I think was supposed to ramp up the sexual tension, but just feel flat) and that was all it took. I am having a hard time connecting with Allie or Levi, I just feel like I don't know them as people.

We find out that Levi is hybrid of sorts. He is a crow hybrid, his people are shape shifters, but they shift into crows and people with black wings. I realize that some people are tired of the angel/demon thing, but shifting crow people? Really? And Allie thinking it's sexy?!? In what world are crows sexy?? And another thing I find odd, why is this girl just out of high school (18 years old) and drinking at so many establishments. And all the time!!

I will not be buying book two, and I don't recommend this book for other readers.

Flight (The Crescent Chronicles Book 1)
$0.00