Flip Camcorder Questions I will be traveling to Europe soon & thought a Flip might be just the thing to catch snippets of my trip. Two questions though: Does anyone know if the movie can be downloaded without being compressed, which I've heard degrades the quality? I'm afraid I'll run out of space in the Flip memory & won't be able to download it at an internet cafe. And 2) Is it true that the only way to recharge the battery is via a computer's USB port? This would be nearly impossible when traveling. Thanks for any input!
asked by Cape Codder on May 12, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 109 answers
A
You will need a laptop with you to off load the videos from the camcorder. And the videos by default are in MP4 format, which is already a compressed format. Saving videos directly onto your laptop (drag and drop from the camcorder) wouldn't degrade the video quality.

For the flip mino, yes, or you may buy an AC-USB power adaptor. For the flip ultra, you can simply swap in a new pair of AA batteries.
Ray Wong answered on May 14, 2009
Comment | 11 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Can anyone help me out. I have a Flip and at first I really liked it. Then when I used it to film my son going into a pool for the first time the camera did not work. I turned it on and all I got was the "Flip Logo Screen." I e-mailed customer service and they told me to leave the batteries out of it for a couple of days and then put new batteries in and it should work. I tried that and it worked the first time I turned it on. THen I turned it off and tried to turn it on again and all I got was the LOGO screen again and it won't turn off. Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions on how to get around this? I haven't used it that much for it to be sucking down batteries like this.
Heather Kovatich answered on June 4, 2009
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It's not suited for concerts cuz the zoom ability is very limited. Personally, I consider this camcorder having no zoom at all (I don't think 2x digital zoom is useful for anything at all). When you sit far away from the stage there's no way you can zoom into the stage. If that is OK with you, you can certainly use a flip in a concert.
Ray Wong answered on May 22, 2009
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Cape Codder, Wong Chun or anyone else-
I just ordered a 120 min. Flip Ultra and I am very excited! This will be my first camcorder, and I am really looking forward to using this.
I do have a question for either one of you or anyone else. I did read a comment where this product isn't really meant for concerts. I am going to a Sonic Youth concert next month and do plan on using this there. Is it at least an alright camcorder to use at a concert ? I plan on at least recording a few songs, and Yes it may be dark, but regardless if it is good for concerts or not, I am happy I ordered this.
Thanks-
Chris G. answered on May 21, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi all,
Does anyone have some experience with shooting in windy conditions? Is the microphone shielded in a way that it reduces noise caused by the wind?. What about the images when filming fast action. Does it get jerky? (Can both be tried out by shooting from an open car window)Thanks for your info.
Tjerk answered on May 31, 2009

A
Almost every video editing software program should have effects that will let you change the orientation of your video (rotate left, rotate right, flip vertical, flip horizontal, etc...)
Robert Cassidy answered on September 10, 2009
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
When you're using AA batteries, and they run out...does it alert you with a message or icon?
It must...but no one has mentioned in the reviews. Does it tell you LOW BATT at any point? Just don't want to be in middle of continuous shot and have the thing quit on me.
Thanks,
dix4@me.com
Noah Samuelson answered on June 22, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have had the exact same problem with mine and since it was out of warranty (only 90 day warranty) customer service basically said too bad, they can't help me. I will never purchase another Flip video camera again. I wish I could help, but I'm in the same boat as you are. I am unaware of any place where it may be repaired.
C. Fine answered on July 14, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Does the Flip work well with a Mac?
ELBSeattle answered on June 13, 2009

A
The Flip Ultra HD and probably al other Flips work great with a Mac. I have used a simple 2008 MacBook, iMovie and iDVD to make my first tiny film and the results are stunning.
Tjerk answered on June 13, 2009
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   Next ›

See all questions about this product