Flip Mino Video Camera - Black, 2 GB,1 Hour (1st Generation)
Used & New from: $34.95
Flip Mino Compatible with MacBook Pro? Compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 Intel?
asked by aha!Chinese on June 9, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 answers
A
Yes. I use the Flip Ultra with a MacBook Pro. Software downloaded flawlessly and off loaded videos quickly. I am presently converting some large files to the 'e-mail format'..this is slow. Note that the USB plug on the Flip and the USB port on the side of the Mac are not at the same level (Flip is higher) when on a table and the backside of he flip is facing down. I don't know about the Mino but given the smaller form factor, it might slide in the USB port easier. In any case it works great.
John W. answered on June 11, 2008
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hello Chicago Jack. I have 3 generations of the Flip, original, ultra, and mino. I haven't explored how it works with imovie, but wanted to share my experience with iphoto. When I connect my mino (intel imac, 10.5.4), iphoto launches and I can import the movies into iphoto and delete them from camera. The codec to which you refer is the 3ivx one. An installer for it comes on the flip. I have version 5.0.2 on my computer right now. (If you go to Macintosh HD, Library, Quicktime, you should see it in that folder.) When you first plug in the Mino and double-click the Flip for Mac app. on the Flip image, it asks you to agree to the license and then instructs you to close the Flip app. and install the 3ivx component using the 3ivx installer that gets mounted on your desktop. Then you're supposed to run the Flip app. again. After doing this, iphoto now launches whenever I plug in the mino. The ultra and original flip cameras do not open iphoto. I'm not sure why not.
kenmaryj answered on August 10, 2008
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Just found this at Apple:

Follow these guidelines to use Flip Mino camcorders from Pure Digital with iMovie '08 7.1.2 or later. You will also need to update to QuickTime 7.5 or later.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1989
Eli Camhi answered on October 5, 2008
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi, I ended up purchasing the Mino and didn't have any problems whatsoever. Basically when I launched the software for the first time the screen asked me what version of OSX I was running and then that was pretty much it. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
aha!Chinese answered on June 18, 2008
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for the reply. Apparently, I need a third party QuickTime codec component in order to see video on iPhoto and iMovie. I can see the video and I can save it on the application that came with Flip, but it's the sorriest looking application. I really wanted to do some editing on iMovie. Can you view your video in iPhoto and iMovie or just the Flip application?
Chicago Jack answered on June 19, 2008

A
Had same problem with plugging our newly acquired Flip Mino HD 120 into our MacBook.
Turned out that when we angled the Flip while plugging it in, it plugged in and worked beautifully.
Still is a snug fit, but it works without having to return it.
Gretchen Vice answered on December 27, 2009

A
Can you tell me which software you had to download? I just tried to connect Flip Mino with my Macbook Pro with OSx10.5 Intel and all I got was a black screen and audio playback on a QuickTime Player. I called Flip helpline and they told me to download a free software from divx.com. I heard this particular download causes problems with iMovie. I hate the idea of downloading anything from a third party.
Chicago Jack answered on June 18, 2008
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Does anyone know whether Macs need to be Intel-processor units for Mac integration? All my Macs are PowerPC generation. Thanks.
D. Thomas answered on September 17, 2008

A
I just bought a new Flip MinoHD and for the life I me, I can't seem to plug it in to either of the USB ports on my MacBook Pro! I don't want to force it. Am I crazy or is the Flip's male connector smaller?
J. Carter answered on November 26, 2009

A
Same thing happened to me. I just bought mine from Amazon and
received it yesterday. If fits into my husbands DELL though.
I have no answer.
Linda Halvorsen Umans answered on November 28, 2009
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›