4.0 out of 5 stars Great AI2 system that is easy for cloth diaper newbies
Our only experience with cloth diapering had been pockets - specifically the Thirsties Duo Diaper. We cloth diaper part time, in evenings and on weekends. While we really like our Thirsties, there are a few notable drawbacks of pocket diapers and in my research on different cloth diaper systems, I found out about the Flip system through the Cottonbabies website...
Published on April 19, 2011 by ks227

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan of Flip
Published on July 29, 2011 by R. A. Bailey

4.0 out of 5 stars Great AI2 system that is easy for cloth diaper newbies, April 19, 2011
ks227 (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews

We purchased a Flip day pack with stay-dry inserts. Flip has rapidly become our daytime cloth diaper of choice due to the ease of use. Unlike a pocket diaper there's no need to pre-stuff the insert. With our Thirsties, the cotton/hemp insert takes forever to dry and usually requires overnight line drying. The Flip stay-dry inserts, on the other hand, dry in one normal dry cycle (we line dry the Flip covers). Our girl is an average sized 8.5 month old and is wearing her Flips on the medium rise setting.

Pros:
~ Trim fit but very absorbent.
~ Easy diaper changes when out and about, including a disposable insert option.
~ Easy laundering and care. The covers line dry in an hour or two and the inserts dry quickly in the dryer.
~ The new hook-and-loop closures make diaper changes so easy with a wiggly baby. The closure tabs are nice and stretchy and give a snug, secure fit.
~ Ability to re-use the covers for several changes with fresh inserts. This saves space in the diaper bag and wet bag compared to using pocket diapers.
~ The stay-dry inserts are embroidered with lines and sizes so that you know where to fold for the small and medium rise settings.

Cons:
~ The stay-dry insert is not absorbent enough for our 8.5 month old who is sleeping for 10-11 hours overnight. We're sticking with our Thirsties Duos for overnight.
~ It can sometimes be unwieldy to get the diaper on the baby without the insert shifting. It's not a biggie for my husband and me since we change Flip diapers often but an occasional caregiver could really struggle with keeping the insert where it's supposed to be in the cover. Other AI2 systems have a snap-in insert to prevent this issue and Cottonbabies really should consider this for the next generation of Flip.
~ No cute prints available, only solid colors.

Our plan is to buy a second Flip day pack with the organic insert option and snap closures, for a total of 4 covers and 12 inserts. We still love our Thirsties Duo diapers for overnights and babysitter use, but the Flip system is perfect for our busy lifestyle during the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite cover,but not my favorite system, December 23, 2010
This review is from: Flip Individual: 1 One-Size Snap Closure Diaper Cover & 1 One-Size Stay-Dry Insert - Moonbeam (Baby Product)
I bought a bunch of BumGenius 4.0 which I LOVE. I am using them on 2 1/2 yo twin girls. Prior to this my cloth diapering experience was pinned prefolds and one cover or another. BGs seemed so EASY... and they are, but I wish they held more pee.

I wanted to try a few of these as I was intrigued by the idea of a one size cover so I could still do prefolds (which hold more pee than a BG). But I tried some of the Flips inserts, too. I tried the stay dry and the organic as well as some of the econobum prefolds which, while not sold to be used with this cover, work just fine. The Flips covers is just a bit higher quality than the econobum cover IMO.

The organic inserts hold the most pee, followed by the econombum. I don't feel like the stay dry holds as much pee as a BG 4.0 even though it is supposed to be about the same. None of the 3 holds as much as a premium prefold, but the econobum and organic will get you through a generous 2 hours, while the stay dry gets dicey as you near that mark. (Bear in mind this is with 2 1/2 yo kids - obviously younger kids will pee less) In all it's a pretty easy, compact (as far as travelling) way to diaper.

The cover itself is nice and stretchy - a little bigger I'd say then the BG, as with a BG I use the biggest setting on one girl and the second biggest on the other, whereas with these I do second and third biggest. It doesn't covered a pinned premium prefold as nicely as I'd like, but it DOES cover it (and my husband says it's because I pin funny :-P ) I think it would work even better with a smaller baby in an infant sized prefold.

I am happy to have 2 of these, with a variety of inserts - not sure I will buy any more.

I am updating this to say I now LOVE these as covers, but not crazy about the flips system. I have found I don't really like the bumgenius on my young (7 months and small for his age) baby - too bulky and completed to fold them small. A prefold and nylon pull-on pants has always had top billing for me for absorbant + super trim. But pull on pants can be annoying to pull down. The flips covers are super trim as a cover - velcro wraps are stiff and bulky - and are working very well over a pinned infant prefold on the smallest setting. They will also fit through a range of sizes. I have got a few more flips, and 2 econobums which are ALMOST as nice but not quite, and I love both covers with prefolds. As far as the systems go, organic if you really want to hold pee, but the stay dry insert makes an awesome doubler, in a prefold, for an older baby. LOVE these covers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hybrid between prefold and pocket diaper, March 10, 2011
Flip Diaper covers and inserts are made by the same company that makes Bum Genius and Econobum. The flip cover is essentially a bumgenius 4.0 without a pocket. The econobum cover is also the same size, but has had some features removed (snaps are horizontal instead of vertical, no flap to keep the insert in place). I had an unsuccessful attempt at cloth diapering with Bumgenius 3.0, and was hesitant to try the flip, but I am glad I did. I have now been using the flip diaper and stay dry inserts for the last week with my 5 mo old, and I am quite satisfied.

PROS-
- The stay dry insert feels only slightly damp against my babies skin, even when it is soaked. I have not noticed any skin irritation. I think it does a better job of "wicking" moisture away than a pocket diaper because all the layers are part of one unit, and definitely feels dryer than a typical prefold.

- No Leaks. I have had many leaks with pocket diapers, as the inner layer seemed to conduct the stool towards the edge of the diaper. With the flip, if my baby has a massive BM or wets a lot, there will be leakage around the insert onto the cover, but because of the gap between the insert and cover, it never reaches the border of the cover around his legs or back.

- No red marks. I have not found that I need to tighten the diaper so much that it leaves marks. The elastic around the legs and back is very stretchy.

- Not Bulky - for a cloth diaper, this is one of the less bulky ways to go - the inserts are relatively thin compared to a prefold. Once on, it is similar in appearance to a pocket diaper such as Fuzzibunz or Bumgenius.

- More Affordable than AIO or Pocket - Although it may not be completely obvious, you can save quite a bit of money by getting the Flip vs. the Bumgenius, even though they are close to the same thing. The reason why is that you can usually use the Flip Cover through at least 2-3 changes. The stay dry inserts are $5 per insert. The cover is $11 if you purchase it with an insert. That means that for about $26, you can buy enough for 3 changes. Bumgenius pocket One size cost $18 each, which means it would cost %54 for 3 diapers (about twice as much). This system is more expensive than prefolds and covers, as you do need quite a few covers, and the inserts are not as cheap as prefolds...but I think the quality and convenience are comparable to the more expensive pocket diaper systems - Fuzzibunz and Bumgenius.

- No stuffing diapers. I found it annoying to have to ready my diapers in advance. With flip, there is no need, just lay the insert on the cover, and flip down the top to adjust the size.

CONS

- For my heavy-wetting baby, I change the inserts every 2-3 hours. I don't see how even 2 of these inserts could get him through the night. I am still using a disposable diaper overnight. It is just not worth it for me to change him every few hours and wake him up. I am not sure any other pocket system would be much better.

FYI

- I find the flip covers are slightly nicer than the econobum, but the inserts are much nicer. I bought some econobum covers to work with the flip inserts, and it seems to be fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan of Flip, July 29, 2011
R. A. Bailey (Fort Walton Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
When I first started cloth diapering, I bought a few different ones mostly based on reviews and friend's advice. Everyone I talked to raved about the Flip how convenient it was and well it fit so it made the short list to try. Well I'm glad I got different types because the Flip by itself may have swayed me away from cloth diapering forever, after several months I can't understand the attraction. I don't think it's necessarily a bad design or system it just doesn't work for us and here's why:

- The fit is horrible on my very tall & skinny son (now 9mths), it has to be on the last rise setting to completely cover him and it's still at least an inch below his belly button.

- I like the stretchy-ness of the snap tabs but I don't like that there's no hip snap so it seems to always be falling down and there seems to be extra fabric bulging out. If I snap it on the last setting then it will stay up but my son cries until I loosen it one (where it droops so really a no win)

- There's nothing holding the insert in, so getting it on is a workout trying to hold my son down & the insert in place long enough to get it snapped closed. And half the time the insert seems to slip out of position anyways.

- The cover itself is just PUL (or something similar) there's nothing even the least bit soft behind the insert so when it inevitably slips the plastic rubs up against my son's skin & irritates it. And the leg gussets rub into his legs so they're always pink when I take it off.

I do like:
- The insert itself does seem to be very absorbent for being so thin & solids slide right off with easy

- The color is a nice vibrant green and looks good on my son (but would probably look good on a girl too)

Overall the Flip just isn't for me if I had someone to sell or trade it to I would but for now it stays at the bottom of the stash only used when all the others are being washed.

4.0 out of 5 stars We flip for our flips., May 5, 2012
Meredith "Writer and Reader" (The Banks of the Wabash Far Away) - See all my reviews
We began our adventures in cloth diapering with Charlie Banana's 2-in-1 system, which is very similar to FuzziBunz's 2-in-1 system. They worked great in the beginning, but as our baby got older, they can began to leak like crazy. This was probably in large part due to user error as I discovered too late that using diaper creams and certain laundry detergents can actually make micro-fleece diapers water repellent. Since we cannot live without A+D at our house, I began the hunt for a new diaper system. After reading numerous reviews and watching dozens of YouTube videos made by cloth diapering mothers, we decided to give Flip diapers a try. And we have now happily switched to the Flip hybrid system. Aside from the occasional super pee, the baby rarely has a leak.

What I love about Flips as opposed to the 2-in-1 diapers is that you don't have to change the entire diaper each time you change the baby. I just change the insert, and the baby can wear the same Flip all day unless poop gets on the Flip cover itself. This means that we don't need dozens of Flips as opposed to needing over a dozen 2-in-1 diapers, and at $15 to $20 per diaper this is nice. We only have six Flip covers and then about three dozen inserts.

There is also no need to have an entire pile of prestuffed diapers required as with a 2-in-1 pocketed diaper system. It only takes seconds to switch inserts. However, the one big disadvantage that the hybrid system has compared to the 2-in-1 is that the insert just sits in the diaper shell rather than in a diaper pocket, so you have to make sure the insert remains in position while you snap up the diaper. We have a very wiggly baby who tends to flip the insert out of position while we are snapping the diaper up, requiring us to then unsnap and readjust. When we were using diapers with pockets for the inserts, we just slapped the clean on and were good to go no matter how squirmy the baby was.

The Flip insert is easy to wash out and toss in a diaper pail. This beats diaper systems with pockets where both the diaper and the insert needed to be prewashed each and every time you change the baby. Rather than using the Flip inserts, we use regular prefold or flat cloth diapers with the Flip covers. With prefolds I just fold them in thirds and then fold down the extra at the back as I would with a Flip insert. The flat diapers I fold in quarters and then in thirds and fold down any extra in the back like a regular Flip insert. The beauty of this method is that the diapers are 100% cotton and can all be dried on high. Microfleece diapers take forever to dry on low. The covers do take a long time to air dry, which is why we have six instead of three.

As for washing the Flip covers themselves, I either handwash them out in the sink with a little Ivory soap, toss them in the cold prewash with white vinegar along with the diapers, or wash in them on cold with the regular baby laundry. I always hang them to dry. Poop does stain the inside of the Flip cover a strange bronze, but I've gotten most of the stain out by washing them on cold and delicate with Rockin' Green Classic Rock Bare Naked Babies.

Another plus is that with Flips, the diaper's size is adjusted with snaps that change the diaper's rise instead of with elastic and buttons that change the size of the diaper's leg holes. I prefer adjusting the size with exterior snaps to messing with leg elastic although it was more tedious than difficult.

The names of the colors are a bit strange, and they look different when viewed on different websites. We have 3 noodle, 1 grasshopper, 1 blossom, and 1 sweet. Noodle is a light beige, grasshopper is a light mint green, blossom is a medium pink, and sweet is a very light pastel blue.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome potty training cover, July 1, 2011
I bought these to use for my son when he started to have a reaction to microfiber in the other cloth diaper inserts we were using. I used the flip covers and then used folded flat fold diapers or cotton receiving blankets folded and laid inside. We ended up quiting cloth diapers because our washer couldn't handle it but I kept the covers thinking that maybe when we got a new washer, we'd try it. I'm so glad I did. We are currently in the process of potty training my son and I use the flip covers over regular undies whenever we go out of the house. I haven't had a leak yet and that's with regular not padded training underwear and full on accidents, not just a little piddle. These covers hold everything in so you don't have the problem of pee running down your child's leg in the middle of the store. They also work great as swim diapers. These covers just have so many uses from birth through the end of potty training. Love them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Cloth Diapering World, December 22, 2011
The Flip Diaper System combines the best qualities of all in one diapers and separates. Having used prefolds, fitted and AIO's in the past, I wanted a system that would be convenient to put on a squirming toddler, fit my infant without too much bulk and dry completely in one cycle. Astonishingly, Flip diapers met all of these criteria.
The "one size fits all" claim is accurate. I used them simultaneously on my one month old infant and on my 2 year old toddler. They did not leak with the infant and did not leave red marks on the toddler. Even though I had two in diapers, we only had to keep up with one set of diapers - brilliant for two exhausted parents.
The system is simple: You simply lay the insert within the shell. No uncomfortable snaps or stuffing. Even when wet, the insert barely changes shape. When I ran short of inserts I was able to use a prefold with the shell. Overall, the diaper has a low profile allowing your child to move easily without bulk between their legs.
As to quality, having used and laundered these regularly for 9 months, they have not stained, faded, lost snaps or frayed. I could not be more impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best!, July 10, 2011
Since I couldn't make up my mind what brand or style (all-in-one, pocket and diaper cover) to order and got a big variety. I got two covers - Flip and Thirsties. While both do an exellent job I tend to grab the Flip cover first. I like that it has pockets in the front and back that are big enough for the insert to be tugged under. Thirsties have only one in the front which is rather small. Also the missing back one makes putting the insert in a bit more complicated, however I never had a problem with the insert sticking out in the back. I prefer the vertical orientation of the snaps on the Flip covers over the horizontal one on the Thirsties. Since you have a wider closure area the cover stays on better and closes better around the legs. I like that you don't have to wash the cover after every use. Even compared to all-in-ones and pocket diapers Flips are my favourite choice of cloth diapering for the day, however at night I use an AIO with an extra insert since both Thirsties and Flips will not hold up to more than 6 hours of use even with two inserts together (haven't tried 3). And just a little suggestion to make things even easier - I bought some flushable super thin liners that I put on top of the insert and can be removed with #2s so no messy clean-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most long-lasting and econical, March 5, 2012
My son is over 2 years old, and our flip covers are the only ones holding strong. My only drawback when he was younger and had liquidy diapers was that it doesn't have a double gusset at the leg. However the other brand we purchased that had gussets are falling apart and ripping at the snaps.

I also like that it is not lined with anything on top of the PUL because I can reuse the cover if he only has a pee diaper. I used the cover with cotton prefolds to save money. Then I used the stay dry inserts when he was around 6mo-1 1/2 yr old. Now I'm back to the larger size cotton prefolds, since he is older and completely soaks through the flip inserts. These covers have lasts all 2+ years with hardly any signs of wear.

The most economical option is the buy 15 covers, 3 dozen small prefolds, and 2 dozen large prefolds for later. I also ended up with some stay dry inserts that came with some of my covers before I realized I could buy them separate and save money. My sitter seemed to like the convenience of those before he got too big. You might need a smaller size when baby is born, but I would use disposables for a couple of weeks, and maybe buy a few tiny covers from another brand to get you through those first few months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these diapers!, August 8, 2011
My husband was very skeptical about using cloth diapers at first, but after I showed him how easy these are to use he was fine with it. I love that you can reuse the cover and I have had VERY FEW leaks with these diapers. I also bought some pocket diapers thinking they would be easier with an antsy baby, but I was not impressed with those. Stick with the Flip, they are cheaper and easier!

Rate and Discover Movies