5.0 out of 5 stars A Review for Mac users
The camera
Published on November 15, 2008 by Norman R. Hart

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps breaking...
I am on my second mino. They keep not turning on. Supposedly there is a lot of problems with the batteries. You can Google it to read about it more. The tech support is really unhelpful and disorganized. Be warned.
Published on April 6, 2009 by Michael C. Gadbaw

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review for Mac users, November 15, 2008
This review is from: Flip MinoHD Video Camera - Black, 4 GB, 1 Hour (1st Generation) (Electronics)
The camera
The camera has a 1.5 inch screen that is vibrant but small. The camera is thin and can easily be slid into the front pocket of your jeans. It is extremely light. The buttons on the back are touch sensitive and are not typical buttons that you "press". There is a nice quality built in microphone. Operation is dead simple. Turn it on and push the large red button to start record and then press it again to stop.

The video quality:
The video quality from this camera is phenomenal considering its price tag. No its not a Canon HV30 but its not supposed to be.There is very little motion blur and the colors are nicely saturated. Due to the higher quality video shakiness is more pronounced in the videos but its not terrible. The more still you can hold this camera the better. The sound is crisp and clear. I can easily say the quality of this camera trumps all other flash based camcorders in this price bracket.

The Software
Mac users rejoice! The Mino HD's video files ( MPEG4) are natively supported by Mac OS X, Quicktime, & iMovie 8 or iMovie HD. The software (Flipshare) even allows stitching the footage together, adding music and transitions and exporting the finished result directly to Youtube or just onto your desktop. I am very impressed Pure Digital rewrote the software package so that the features for Mac Users were the same as PC users. When you first plug in the camera iPhoto will open and offer to import the video's. You can override this in iPhoto's preferences. From then on the Flipshare will open automatically.

Final Conclusion:
The Flip Mino HD billed as the worlds smallest HD camcorder (as of 11/14) is worth its weight in gold. Especially if you have a Mac! If I had to choose one con for this camera I would say that I wish they would've added an external microphone jack to it-but thats really reaching. It's a wonderful camera for the money and they say the best camera for the job is the one thats with you when you really need it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Capture your friends in HD with this fast and friendly mini camcorder, best camcorder for video sharing on the web., November 18, 2008
Flip camcorders are easy to use like the name suggests. So your friend starts pulling a stunt, or your baby starts taking the first step, you may have missed getting it on video earlier...but with the Flip you don't. You flip out this sleek camcorder from your pocket (or purse)and take that video and then flip out the USB arm, plug it into your computer and start "flipping" your video directly into youtube. You can set your privacy options on the videos you upload to include only your circle. It's super easy with the Flip and so nice to share special moments with your far away family and friends.

Here's what I like about this camcorder:

-- Takes HD video (720p) in 16:9 ratio, picture is very sharp especially when viewed on a computer screen or LCD TV.
-- To upload your video you just flip out the USB 2.0 arm and plug it into your computer like a mini external drive. You can then directly upload your video to youtube, myspace or any other video-sharing website without having to transfer it to your computer. Or just upload it to your computer.
-- Super sleek and easy to carry in a pocket or small purse. Weighs only 3.3 ounces and is 50% slimmer than the earlier Ultra series Flip Video Ultra Series Camcorder, 60-Minutes (Black). And Mino also has 4GB capacity compared to 2GB of Ultra - although both take 60 minutes of video
-- Controls are super-easy, really child's play. A simple press of the big red button records video. The +/- signs operate the digital zoom and the left/right arrows scroll through videos. Touching the trash can button deletes a video. That's it!
-- Good performance in low light - although one wishes for some sort of extra light source sometimes, this camcorder performs above average in low light
-- Sound is good especially given the size. The sound syncs well with the picture too. The videos I shoot with my digital camera sometimes go out of sync but not with the flip.
-- Easily charged through your computer, has a Li-ion battery as opposed to the Flip Ultra that used 2 AA batteries
-- Creates MP4 video with good compression so the files are not huge, easy to load files into youtube or your computer. The upload feature seems to be faster than the previous Flip Ultra. Video uploads can be slow but Flip seems to make good time with its H.264 video and AAC sound compression which is stored as a MP4 file.
-- Software drivers are on the camcorder drive so you're good to go with any PC or Mac. This camera works perfectly with Mac and iTunes for viewing your videos as well as Windows Media Player or any other popular player.
-- Included Flipware can be used to edit/share/organize video files. I don't use it though, I just drag and drop the files to my computer, so easy
-- It also comes with video cable to watch your video on a TV
-- The camera is smooth and sleek and self-contained which makes it fairly rugged compared to the super sensitive traditional camcorders. The lens is also protected and has been able to weather some minor drops.
--Comes with a basic soft carrying pouch although you may prefer to buy a separate case.

Here's what I don't like:

-- Zoom is limited at 2X digital zoom. It's great for making videos of people right in front of you but if you're trying to record a performance from a distance prepare to be disappointed.
-- Given basic controls it's also difficult to zoom in as smoothly as my Sony MiniDV camcorder to capture people's facial expressions without noticeable camera shake and repositioning. I find Flip is best for mostly fixed focus videos.
-- Due to higher definition video, camera shake can also be more pronounced. A tripod or putting the camcorder on a flat surface will help minimize shake.
-- Li-ion battery replacement is only available through the Flip Support as of now, the earlier Ultra series used the widely available AA batteries
-- The 1.5" screen makes it difficult to see what you're recording at times. Since there is no tilt like traditional camcorders it is also not possible to hold the camcorder over your head and shoot something. Although FLIP says the screen is trans-reflective, it can be hard to see in bright sunlight.

Overall, I like this camcorder for its super sharp videos and ease of use. A high end camcorder may be nice for very special occasions but it's not possible to carry my bigger camcorder at all times. You can also use your digital camera to make videos but the resolution is not good and files are large and unwieldy and cannot be widely shared. I find it worth carrying the Flip with a digital camera in my purse and can do so because of its slimness.

I have found myself capturing more moments on video since I started using the Flip camcorders. These moments would have never got on video if I did not have the Flip camcorder which I could pull out and turn on in a few seconds!

5.0 out of 5 stars It is HD and does a fine job for what it is, November 12, 2008
Amazon should really consider only allowing those who actually purchase the product to review it.

Contrary to D. Knapp's inaccurate claim of false advertising(do your research), this unit is indeed capable of High Definition video at 1280x720 and it looks quite stunning, more so than I expected. I was satisfied with the original Flip Mino's video and audio quality. This is icing on the cake.

The software seems to be improved over the original and regular Flip devices. I found it to be much snappier too.

My only gripe is low level lighting situations. It would be nice to see an add on infrared light system or a light accessory attachment. I'm sure battery issues might play a role in the decision to leave that option out though.

If you're like me and only drag your real camcorder out on the holidays, or you always seem to miss those Kodak moments with the kids, the Flip Mino HD is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Little HD Camera, November 27, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 1:22 Mins

The folks at Pure Digital have created a tiny little HD camcorder. If you watch the video you will get a full appreciation for just how small it is.

A few details-

Unlike previous versions the Flip Mino HD records as a MP4 file (instead of AVI). This is not a big deal, but it does prevent you from going straight from recording to Apple TV - you will need a program like Roxio Crunch to convert the file.

Maybe not the greatest camera if your only goal is to pot videos on YouTube. The extra resolution will not show up, but it will take the video significantly longer to upload.

Capture speed is a bit too slow - this causes the picture to blur during motion. It can also give your videos a "Blair Witch Project" feel if you film while walking.

Final Verdict - if you are want a camera that is highly portable with great quality look no further. If you would prefer a video camera that you are only going to use for posting videos on the internet ou ay want to go back a model.

5 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely cool camera, lightweight, great video, pocket sized fun!, March 3, 2009
Length:: 4:30 Mins

Within 15 minutes of the camera arriving, I had it opened up, had taken a video, and created this video review for amazon. The camera was so easy to use that I think it took me less than 3 minutes to have it up and running and taking video.

For what it is, it gets 5 stars, however, I do want to say that after a full day of exploring the camera there are a few things to consider...

First, the viewing screen is very small, as you'll see in the video review below. This isn't a big deal, and again for the type of product, you go in knowing there will be limitations of some sort. In terms of taking video, that's about the only limitation I've found so far because the camera is just that easy to use. From one touch recording to fast playback and delete functions, you really can't get much simpler.

After you've taken the video, getting it onto your computer is also a snap. Flip out the USB plug and shove it into your computer's USB port. Make sure it's a 2.0 port. The software automatically starts and runs and it allows you to save the original video file to your computer in mp4 format, save it in wmv movie format (with rudimentary title/credit slides and optional music track), and a few other basic functions like image stills. There isn't a lot of fluff, and you really don't need fluff for this.

If you want to use the native file format you're going to need a video program like Pinnacle or Ulead that can read mp4, or a conversion program (you can use the one that's included to convert to wmv if you want). Windows Movie Maker will not read native mp4, so to use that tool you'll want to convert first.

The camera records in 1280x720 at 30fps. This isn't 1080i/p but you're really not going to notice that much of a difference - though I do wish it recorded at 60fps just for a cleaner and smoother video (just a personal preference - not a downside to the camera).

For the price, the size, the ease of use, and the ease of getting video off the camera, this is a crazy cool gadget that I'll be using very frequently for some great video!

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Score!, November 16, 2008
There are no more excuses for missing the moment. This camera isn't designed for producing major motion pictures, but it does a terrific job of being available, while being ridiculously easy to use. It will be tossed into the purse for recording moments at gatherings.

I would say that the "HD" designation is mildly exagerrated, but the picture quality is better than what I get from the Sony miniDV Handicam (which does a nice job), but with far less aggravation when it comes to importing and viewing. And I have never thrown the miniDV into my purse to capture a moment at a gathering. This Flip MinoHD, I doubt if I'll ever leave home without it.

Auto-focus is first-rate. It automatically adjusts for lighting conditions and does a good job in dim light. The sound quality is not exceptional, but it isn't exceptional on any home video camera I've ever used, either. Still, it picked up my granddaughter's voice from across the yard without distortion. I haven't tried to edit the video yet, but the included software is straightforward when it comes to storing and viewing videos. The camera also comes with a cord to connect to your TV.

It is what it is and at a very reasonable price. This thing...this is truly a score. Oooo oooo, I have to get a DryPak so I can use it in the pool...!

UPDATE:
A potential customer asked a question in the discussion area. I answered, but include it here as well in case others are curious, too. The question -- how does the video compare between TV or HDTV, and a computer monitor.

I tried four different screens -- a 42" plasma flatscreen, a 42" lcd flatscreen, a regular old-style TV and an lcd computer monitor.

The old-style TV, I wasn't surprised, was "grainy," to use an old-fashioned term. The plasma was disappointing. The particular model I own didn't allow me to shrink the video to its natural size, so the picture was blown up edge to edge and that caused the picture to degrade. (DVDs on that TV are great, by the way.) Your plasma might operate differently and therefore, offer better results.

The lcd TV allowed viewing the videos at natural (large) size, best quality of all, although even full size it looked great. And the computer monitor was great, too.

If your potential gift recipient is a casual videographer as most of us are, they won't be disappointed. Fancy themselves as the next Baz Luhrmann and the Flip will promptly find itself on the return pile.

2011 UPDATE: This camera is still useful and enjoyed at our house, so I'm stunned to learn that Cisco bought and then dropped the product line. I know most people have phones that shoot video, but not very good video. Anyway, didn't know where to place a vent. This space seemed as good as any. -- Regards

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps breaking..., April 6, 2009

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Camera / Terrible Support, March 31, 2009
I received one for Christmas as a gift and straight out of the box there were dead pixels on the CMOS sensor. After days of tedious email exchanges with Pure Digital they gave me an RMA number. They held onto the camera for weeks until I received a response to numerous emails regarding the status or my repair/replacement. They sent me a new factory-fresh camera that was more problematic than the first. Althought the image is clean, files do not encode properly (sections of green frames /stuttering) On my vacation to Utah 75 percent of my footage was encoded improperly, unplayable or were just suddenly erased and the file structure reset: i.e. Clip VID00021.MP4, VID00022.MP4 clips all dissapear then start recording at VID00001.MP4 again.

I really wanted to love this camera and I don't expect a whole lot of a two hundred dollar but this turd can't even perfom it's basic purpose of recording images and saving them until I can dump them to my computer.

On top of that, Pure Digital's customer support has the lazy reponse time you would expect from a government agency, not a supposedly hungry Bay-Area Tech company looking to take on established camera companies. Truly dissapointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, well-made, but seriously flawed, November 27, 2008
rc (Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
This is a very objective review -- I'll try to be as straight-forward and balanced as possible.

1. Packaging:
I just got my MinoHD yesterday. The first impression is of the packaging -- very high quality. (It reminds me of the boxing for an Ipod Touch.)

2. Fit and finish:
The fit and finish of the MinoHD is excellent. It's not "cheap junk", but has the feel of quality and attention to detail.

3. Design:
When I handled the MinoHD for just a few moments, there were fingerprint smudges all over the shiny, piano black surface. And, in just a few moments, I found myself wiping the suface clean -- a nuisance.

I don't like piano black, and am baffled why manufacturers keep pushing this mirror-like style. I ask others, and they don't like it either. Anyway, it's a negative (but one I knew about in advance).

The wrist strap that hooks onto the Mino is a flashy silver. The whole appearance with the shiny black and shiny silver made the product appear... I'm not sure how to say this, but jewelry or lady-like weird. I took it off.

I found it somewhat awkward holding it, as you have to hold it up (and vertical) to see the screen.

Picture Quality:
The picture quality of some test clips, in an office, in my car, and at a park, varied.

The one thing that was immediately noticeable is how jumpy the picture is -- you can't really record while walking or with vibrations such as in a car, but have to keep it steady.

In low light (room in the evening, tail lights from cars) colors were way off. Red appeared violet.

When viewing the HD clips on my laptop, the videos were jerky (because my laptop is old -- so you'll need a relatively newer PC/Laptop to handle the MP4 decoding).

On another PC, the playback was smooth (using the Flip's software).

The overall quality of the HD clips (excepting what seemed faded colors and shifted colors in low light) was good. Not as good as 720P from a cable, satellite or broadcast channel though. There was much more motion blur (720P from other sources is 60 fps, the MinoHD is 30fps). And, the picture didn't seem as detailed (because of the camera, lens, mp4 compression?). Nevertheless good, but not great.

TV Picture quality:
Awful. Using the composite video cable (yellow, red and white rca jacks), the picture was of very poor quality. Straight lines (such as power lines, railing, etc.) appeard jagged and jumpy. Vegetation seemed mushed together. There was a great deal of motion blur and overall artifacting.

The PQ seemed worse than from the lowest recording quality of an old VCR. It was much worse than from an old analog camcorder. I can only guess that the MinoHD does a poor job down-scaling to standard definition from HD.

If anyone plans to use the TV out jack for much of their viewing, you should re-think.

Audio:
Very sensitive and seems very good.

Summary:
Overall, this is a cool gadget. It's well made, small, and records good (but not great) quality HD for viewing on a newer PC or laptop. It lacks a way to watch HD directly on a TV, and the quality of the composite video output, is very poor (worse than to be expected from standard defnition).

Finally, the cost, which is a judgment call. Is it worth $200? It's a cool, early adopter item.

Update 12.02.2008:
I've had it for a week now. And, I'd drop my rating to 2 1/2 stars from 3 (and also wouldn't purchase).

The videos stutter when played on my older laptop. And, as mentioned above, the quality of the picture using the TV out (composite video) is awful. So, I either get sticky playback or smooth and noisy.

I dusted off an XBox 360, having found out there's been an update so it can play mp4's. It does play the videos when the MinoHD's USB is plugged in. But, they play smoothly for 8 seconds, then freeze for a few, then the clip plays again for 8, freezes, etc.

So now I have stuttering or freezing or noisy videos! If I had to choose again, I'd either choose the regular Flip Mino (assuming the TV output is better) or a digital camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Freezes up, loses video, then goes dead within a couple of days, March 15, 2009
This seems like a nice device, somewhat overpriced but with nice packaging and decent design. Essentially it's a webcam with its own storage and battery. If you plug it into your computer it shows up as a drive and even has the application there ready to install. Unfortunately the MinoHD is not really HD and has some serious flaws. Firstly, the quality of the camera is pretty awful. It's a cheap CCD that can capture high resolution but with overwhelming graininess. Even in good light, it's not even analog TV quality. Colors are washed out and detail is lost in the graininess. Second is the quality and reliability of the device itself. When I started using it the first video froze the device after 15 seconds. No buttons worked, including the power button - it simply stayed in the record mode frozen on one frame. It took some searching on their support site to figure out how to get past this. The trick was to hold down the power button for 10 seconds, then power back on. Unfortunately the video is lost when you do this. Another shot I took was coming along very well but then the device froze up again after two minutes. That video was also lost. Aggravated, I sent a message to their support staff. In classic bad email support style, they didn't read read what I wrote, they just pointed me to a document on the site that matched a keyword in my support request. If they had read it they would know that I already found that support document. Another message and another day (they do have a 1 business day turnaround on questions) and they said to try using the hole in the tripod mount to reset the device. By now, however, the MinoHD was toast, it would not even power on. It was DEAD. Their response this time - send it back to us. Forget it, it's going back to Amazon. While looking for answers I also found websites full of complaints about Flip products. I think I'll stay away from this brand. If they can't make products that work well when brand new then I can't trust them to be usable next week or next year.