1,870 of 1,903 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars The camcorder SHOWDOWN: I've done the product comparisons for you
Update: Since my review the Flip Mino has been greatly improved. It now works and plugs in perfectly to my Mac and has stereo sound. For it's small size, that's a good thing.

Now, on to the original review:

If I'm going to spend more than a hundred bucks on an item or somewhere around there, I do extensive research first to know I got the best...
Published on November 6, 2009 by Chandler

1.0 out of 5 stars Video of the USB Flaw on Both Mac AND Acer Laptops
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:55 Mins
We bought this camera because we lost our first generation Flip MinoHD, which we loved. I'm sad to report that the USB issues mentioned by countless others are real, and I decided it was worth posting a video that clearly shows the extent of the issue so as to help convince others not to waste their money. This simply doesn't work with Macs,...
Published on January 10, 2010 by Sidney

‹ Previous | 150 51 52 53 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Defective Unit, January 7, 2010
This review is from: Flip MinoHD Video Camera - Brushed Metal, 8 GB, 2 Hours (2nd Generation) (Camera)
Started to freeze and crash while recording from the first day on. In a week it was completely dead. Returning it to Amazon as a defective product.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a rip off, December 22, 2009
I bought two of these as gifts for Christmas. Fortunately I went to test one out before sending and found that the USB connection would require an adapter. Which is not included. I will be returning both and making excuses to those who were to receive them as gifts. Read the technical print before you buy new gadgets on line.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flip-pin weasels don't record more than 63 minutes in a row, March 4, 2010
Quick version - it won't record more than 63 minutes in a row, and the weasels know it, and if you re-read the description it says up to 120 minutes, but never says "in a row". Also, the "touch screen type controls" are a complete nuisance, because they seem to have a 1-2 second delay built in, so you can't figure out when/if they're working, and they constantly turn off and on in your pocket.

Longer version:

I bought this because I wanted to tape a specific 2 hour presentation in front of an audience of 100 people. I found out afterwards that it stopped at 63 minutes. It took me hours of wrestling with the device to figure out that the reason is that there is a max file size of 4,194,000 Kb on the device, so it will automatically shut off then, at about 50% of the 120 minutes they advertise.

The presentation is now over, and of course its too late to get it now. Flip-in weasels. They know it, and instead of being honest, they're sleazes, and you wouldn't find out until you miss a critical video.

Because of their misleading practices, a lot of stores will take them back with this explanation without a restocking fee.

Since Kodak now has a newer version (zi8), and Samsung and Sony also do, there are now more options.

5.0 out of 5 stars In the Same League as iPod, May 8, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The flip camera is going to change things. It is going to push six hundred bucks camcorders into obsolescence, and it's going to do so soon, for the following reasons:

It's cheaper.
It's clearer.
It's smaller.

The flip comes at the size and cost of an iPod, making it equally efficient in its use. The video quality is simply astounding. True HD. For home movies it's invaluable- it can be carried along anywhere, ready for use at a moment's notice. Uploading is as easy as plugging the device straight into a usb drive, and the built in software makes transferring the footage an almost automatic task.

Whether for professional, journalistic or personal use, the flip camera will prove useful like nothing else before it. Don't hesitate in buying one.

1.0 out of 5 stars can't plug it in, January 3, 2010
I share the opinion of several reviewers that the USB connector is horrible! The Flip gets a lot of kudos for being easy to use and Mac-compatible, but it doesn't even plug into my MacBook Pro! What's the point of having a built in USB connector if it doesn't work. It does plug into my iMac, but with a lot of force. In the manual it does say that if the USB connector doesn't fit that I would need a Type "A" USB extension cable. Again, what's the point if I need a separate cable. I was very disappointed and returned the camera.

Does anyone else suggest a good portable HD camera? Maybe even HD video built into a point and shoot camera. It needs to be Mac compatible.

Raj

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Flip, November 30, 2009
This is a great and fun product! Some friends are going to get one this Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars less is more!, December 10, 2009
So simple my grandmother's grandmother could use it with one hand tied behind her back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome HD camera, April 21, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a Flip UltraHD and have been very impressed with it. I love the new MinoHD as it now has 2 hours of capacity. It is a smaller than the UltraHD. The MinoHD is smaller than my cell phone but just a little thicker. It records great. The only problems are recording in low light doesnt work the greatest and if you are recording outside it does pickup the wind sound on the microphone. Overall though the flips are some of the best pocket camcorders out there. They are priced pretty competively with the other camera of this size. The MinoHD has an internal Lithium -ion battery that gives you about 2 hours between charges. Charge time for the camera is about 3 hours with a USB and only about 2 if you buy an AC adapter. I love having 2 flips as sometimes our kids have activities at the same tim and this way I can record one and someone else can record the other.

Plus I love the fact that the software is preloaded on the camera so you can instantly download to any computer. The software also allows you to instantly add to facebook and youtube.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing x 10, January 2, 2010
Marshal Mathers (San Francisco California) - See all my reviews
The idea of a small video camera that fits in a pocket or purse, is easy to use and low priced is wonderful. Unfortunately the trade offs are too great with the Flip high definition, flip mino hd, video.

I have shot video inside and outside and I can safely say each video has been blurry and the colors are awful. Not to mention there is no image stabilization feature so you have to have the hand of a surgeon to not get the shakes in the video.

If you have a project with stable lighting, a subject placed at the optimal distance for the camera (10-30 feet away is my guess), outside in neutral light - that doesn't move very much - and you use the add on tripod - you might get something worthwhile.

The only thing that gives me hope for this product is the user interface. Its easy to use and efficient.

If I had it to do over again I would wait till they improve the image quality and stabilization before purchasing. I am sure when they fix the quality of the video issues I will be the first in line for a trade in.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy A Flip!!!, April 21, 2010
Do not buy this product, unless you don't mind buying another one in 18 to 24 months. The battery reaches end of life after 18 to 24 months. After that, it can't be charged, can't be replaced, and you've got a completely dead camcorder on your hands.

The people who gave this a good review are going to be singing a different tune once they've had this a while!

‹ Previous | 150 51 52 53 | Next ›