Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

Size: 8 GBColor: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
===> Please read important updates at the end of this report (the main part is as I wrote it on October 28, 2010) and CONSIDER VERY CAREFULLY before paying more than $20.00 for this 'ORPHAN' (manufacturer no longer in business, product no longer made, product no longer supported in any way) camcorder <===
=====

This Flip MinoHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (3rd Generation) NEWEST MODEL is well-constructed and takes decent video and sound. It was offered to me by Amazon Vine and I wanted to obtain it to see why it has been stated that Flip Video 'rules' the pocket camcorder field.

Unfortunately I am very disappointed with this model for the following reasons:

1. It offers only one level of picture quality: 720P [1280 x 720 60fps H.264/AVC with an MP4 file extension]; while this is good, the files obtained are quite large - I took just 143 seconds of video and the total file size is 169.9 MB. A person could convert this to something smaller if desired but that is, at the very least, time-consuming and I think that many persons for whom this camcorder is intended might be intimidated by the necessity of doing this. A choice should be offered as it is on other similarly-priced pocket camcorders.

2. It does not take still pictures. If you have a Microsoft Windows or Mac-equipped computer, you can extract stills from your videos using the free included software - but, again, this is an extra and time-consuming step and may also be intimidating for some.

3. Its USB connector is very badly designed; unless you have one laying about, you MUST purchase an AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (9.8 Feet / 3.0 Meters) or similar. If you attach the camcorder directly to your computer, you will find that the weight of the camcorder puts an inordinate strain on the USB port as well as the USB connector on the camcorder.

4. I appreciate that the camcorder comes with a cloth bag as standard but this bag offers no real protection to the camcorder nor any means of attaching it to a belt or other connection point. The bag could have been much better designed and I'm sure that many, if not most, people will want to buy an after-market case.

---> The following is the most important design defect, in my opinion, and would be a 'deal-breaker' for me:

5. This camcorder uses a built-in rechargeable battery instead of a user-replaceable one. Not only that, its battery life appears to be somewhat short and the camcorder CANNOT be operated when connected to either AC or a USB port (these can be used only for recharging the battery).

I did not know that it came with such a battery prior to ordering it and, had I known, I would NEVER have ordered it!

What does this mean to the user? It means that, if you want to take video for an extended period of time and your battery goes flat, you will have to wait while you recharge it, possibly missing some situations you would have liked to capture.

Just imagine having that happen during the middle of recording a wedding ceremony and reception, or your daughter's first dance recital, or your son's first school play, or your children opening their Christmas presents ...

And don't think "it can't happen to me" - oh yes it can!

I can't stress enough that this is a MAJOR disadvantage and is the main reason for my disappointment with this unit.

In addition, these built-in rechargeable batteries have a finite and relatively short service life, generally about three or four years. After that, you will either have to send the camcorder back to the manufacturer (at a high cost including shipping) for battery replacement or, more likely, you will just discard it.

In other words, after only a few years, you will probably have just an expensive paperweight.

If this were some twenty-dollar 'wonder' the defects I list above might be acceptable (even the short battery life in use; at twenty dollars you could afford to buy two, using one while the other is recharging).

But this camcorder costs TEN TIMES that! And at that price it does not offer good value for money, again in my opinion.

So for whom is this camcorder intended? As it is extremely easy to set up (with few choices to have to consider in its menu) and very easy-to-use when 'filming,' it may be fine for someone's great-grandmother (no offense intended) or for someone who is completely technophobic. A wealthy person could buy one for a small child as a first camcorder. After all, as I stated, it does produce decent video and sound (stereo, by the way).

But at its price it faces formidable competition, two of which I own (both courtesy of Amazon Vine): the Creative Labs Vado HD Pocket Video Camcorder 3rd Generation,120 Minutes (Black) - NEWEST MODEL and the Kodak PlaySport (Zx3) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera (Black) NEWEST MODEL. both of which I consider to be five-star products.

Neither of those two have any of the functional shortcomings of the Flip MinoHD; they both feature relatively inexpensive user-replaceable batteries (I have bought spares for both) and you can buy an external charger for them. Thus you can recharge one battery while using the camcorder with the other, something you CANNOT do with this Flip model. (If you are interested in further details about either or both of these two, I refer you to my and others' reviews on Amazon's product detail pages.)

In addition they offer the user a choice of multiple levels of video quality (three levels in the case of the Creative, four with the Kodak). Plus both can take still pictures. And the Creative's low-light performance is exemplary, mostly due, I think, to its very fast f2.0 lens.

The Flip does not use a media card; it holds about two hours of video. The Creative also does not use a media card; via its three quality options, it holds from one to four hours of video (at the Flip's quality level, the Creative also holds about two hours - but with HALF the file size!). The Kodak does use a media card and it is an absolutely necessary option; at the same video quality level as the Flip, a 16 GB SD card holds over four hours and twenty minutes of video. Transferring the video to a computer is easy with all of them; some may find removing an SD card and inserting it into your computer's card reader to be somewhat more convenient than needing to physically attach the entire unit to a USB port, but that's a matter of personal preference and would not affect my own choice in any way (though the necessity of buying an SD card is indeed an extra expense).

At the same level of video quality, the images produced by all three are similar. But, if you wish, you can take full 1080P video with the Kodak. And you can take VGA-format [640 x 480] video with the Creative (this size is appropriate for placing videos on YouTube).

While this Flip Video camcorder has an image stabilization circuit, it appears to do little; the images produced by all three, when taken at the same quality level the Flip offers, are practically the same (except under those low-light situations where the Creative REALLY shines; if low-light performance is important to you, I believe that the Creative Vado is the best one to buy).

You will see a number of videos taken with the Flip MinoHD contained in reviews here; I do not say that this camcorder cannot produce fine videos - it certainly can, but it won't do so for long! Once the battery goes, goodbye Flip! (In the reviews for the other two camcorders you can also see some of their video examples and you will see that there are no real differences in overall picture quality.)

I do like the fact that the controls light up on the Flip when the camcorder is in use - but I wish there were some way to turn off the lights when they're not necessary; they do drain the battery unnecessarily. They would be helpful only at night or in a dark room.

All in all, I find the Flip MinoHD to be an unsatisfactory product, at least for me. In order to make it 'easy to use,' Cisco (Flip) has left off too many features. Since the other two cost no more (when tricked out with recommended accessories), I suggest that anyone interested in such a pocket camcorder investigate them. They are just as easy to use as this Flip but they offer more operational choices for the user should s/he desire to take advantage of them.

While I have purchased many accessories for the Creative and the Kodak (thus bringing their overall price to the same level as the Flip MinoHD with no accessories), I have no intentions of buying anything extra for this Flip as it will become useless in just a few years. (Of course, as I own it and did not pay for it, I'll use it from time to time until it does 'die' completely.)

In conclusion, let me state that, as I said, this camcorder DOES produce excellent quality video with very good sound quality and it IS very easy to use. I think that some people will be completely satisfied with it. HOWEVER for all the functional reasons I mentioned above (especially in comparison with the two lower-priced competitors I own) but primarily because of the fact that a user will NEVER know on any given day whether s/he will have enough power to be able to record all that s/he would want, I am sorry to say that I CANNOT give this Flip camcorder my recommendation. I wish it were otherwise.

Thank you for reading my opinions and I hope they have been of some interest to you.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Tuesday, April 12, 2011

CISCO TO RESTRUCTURE, FLIP SHUTTERED

By Greg Tarr -- TWICE [This Week in Consumer Electronics] Magazine, 4/12/2011

San Francisco - Cisco said Tuesday it will shut down its Flip pocket camcorder operation, just two years after acquiring the one-time disruptive camcorder trendsetter, then called Pure Digital Technology.

In a statement, Cisco said it will exit aspects of its consumer businesses, including the Flip unit.

Cisco CEO John Chambers recently disclosed problems with the company related to slow decisions, among other factors.

Cisco acquired Flip maker Pure Digital Technology in 2009 in a stock deal valued at around $590 million. Since its market entry in 2007, the company had achieved huge market share gains in the competitive digital camcorder category, offering an easy-to-use pocket-sized model that sold at a fraction of the price of competitive offerings.

Though most camcorder makers responded with similar pocket-sized models of their own, the popularity of the diminutive point-and-shoots shaved even more margin from a category that was already compressed by price competition.

As part of the restructuring, Cisco said it will cut about 550 jobs.

===> I recommend that even those who are still interested in this model do NOT pay any amount near full price. It and its manufacturer are now "orphans" and service, if any is available after a year or two, will be increasingly difficult to find and it will be expensive; this is my opinion.

Frankly, also in my opinion, this camcorder is now worth about twenty dollars and, at that price, purchasing two of them would not be imprudent. But I myself wouldn't pay even one cent more.

As I state in my review, I think that most people would be better served by the Kodak or Creative models I mention.

I again thank everyone who has read and considered my remarks.

A SECOND IMPORTANT UPDATE: Tuesday, April 26, 2011

===> Here is the latest press release from Cisco (Flip):

FLIP TRANSITION PLANS EMERGE

By Greg Tarr -- TWICE [This Week in Consumer Electronics], 4/25/2011

San Francisco - Cisco issued a statement Friday outlining its transition plans supporting its Flip camcorder business, which is being shut down.

A company spokesman told TWICE that "account teams are meeting with our channel partners to discuss the transition plan and selling inventory."

According to a statement posted on the company's website, "Cisco will continue its focus and commitment to deliver best in class solutions that extend the network as a platform, from businesses into the home through its Linksys products and consumer TelePresence solutions."

As for Flip, the company "will continue to provide technical support for Flip video cameras until Dec. 31, 2013 and Flip cameras will be available through our online and in-store retail partners as well as our Flip store while supplies last."

The company said it will continue to support consumers who purchased a Flip camera within the terms of its 1-year warranty. Issues not covered by the warranty or that are beyond the warranty period will continue to supported "for a nominal fee" until Dec 31, 2013.

E-support will also continue to be complimentary and available until that date.

Details and updates about support, service and the warranty policy are posted on the company web site.

The FlipShare software service will continue to be fully functional and will be supported until Dec. 31, 2013.

After that time Cisco will no longer support the application online though it may remain functional as software for offloading videos, editing, organizing and archiving.

Additionally, video sharing will no longer be supported past Dec. 31, 2013.

The company said it will continue selling Flip cameras through online and in-store retailers as well as through the Flip store, while supplies last.

Orders for customized Flip models will also remain available for a limited time on the Flip website.

===> Now isn't that 'nice' of them? December 31, 2013. They'll support a one hundred fifty plus dollar item for two and one-half years. After that, you're on your own.

Twenty dollars: that would be my firm target price for this camcorder. Twenty dollars and one cent? Nuts! Twenty dollars and not a cent more should be the firm close-out price. To me that would be all it would be worth. (I'm sorry for Amazon and other retail dealers who have paid full wholesale price for this unit. I should HOPE that Cisco will compensate them fully - but I'll bet they won't!)

If you buy it at that close-out price and it breaks (after the warranty period), you could afford to just throw it away; I certainly would not pay Cisco's 'nominal fee' for any repairs.

You may feel differently about this model and this brand and it is your right to do so. But I suggest that ANYONE considering ANY Flip model camcorder think long and hard about buying an 'orphan.' If you can get it 'cheap,' well, if that's what you want, go ahead. But I recommend that NO ONE should pay 'serious' money for these products.

Other manufacturers make better (in my opinion) camcorders and, especially in the case of Creative and (hopefully) Kodak, they will be around for quite some time to support their products.

Thanks again for reading this and for considering my opinions.

=====

Update: March 2, 2013

If you buy one of these now, you are taking a big chance. This camcorder, indeed all Flip items, has not been manufactured for almost two years now. This means that if you buy one "new," the battery will have been sitting there uncharged for almost two years.

It's pot-luck as to whether or not the camcorder will even power on, much less function for any reasonable length of time.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Final Update: January 4, 2014

As of December 31, 2013, there will be NO FURTHER SUPPORT for this or any other Flip camcorder. And any "warranty" will be worthless.

I repeat: CAVEAT EMPTOR!
6868 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Size: 8 GBColor: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Flip MinoHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (3rd Generation) NEWEST MODEL

The presentation after opening the outer box is really nice and certainly makes for a great gift!
We didn't even have to read the directions. My 13 year old just started using it right away. The set up (time and date, etc) was a breeze. I love the fact that it had a charge right out of the box and is immediately ready to use. No media card needed.
We played around with it for quite awhile and the video here shows the quality and zoom.
The size is so convenient and easy to hold, it fits in the palm of your hand. All you have to do is turn it on and click the red button to start recording. Even though the screen is small (approx less than 2 inches) it has a quality display to see what you are taping. The sound quality is excellent as well.
You can zoom with this but I don't know by how much. It didn't seem like a lot to me. I show that on the video attached here.

Also, every time that you plug in the camera it automatically turns itself on and charges.
As far as the software goes, it allows you to make a movie and edit it by adding a title, credits and music. You can add more effects with Windows Movie Maker. You also use the software to share videos by emailing them or putting them online.We emailed a 48 second video and it took 6 minutes to send using the Flip software. There is also an option for making greeting cards. You can select holidays, birthdays, new baby, love and friendship, travel, etc The video is placed in the greeting card and then you can share it. All this is done with a couple of clicks.
I absolutely love this flip video camera. It is simple to use and makes sharing videos super easy. I think the quality of the video is better than some regular cameras and definitely better than my cell phone.
If you go to their website you can purchase the Flip and customize your flip's look. I love the idea that you can customize it with your own picture. If you have any questions feel free to comment and I will answer them as best as I can.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 12, 2010
FLIP video has done a great deal to prove to me as a repeat customer that they heavily weigh simplicity and ease of use when designing their products. My family owns two FLIP camcorders and it is clear to me that the previous version:

-Flip MinoHD Video Camera - Brushed Metal, 8 GB, 2 Hours (2nd Generation) OLD MODEL

is a much better value for the money as I do not believe the minor updates on this "new" model warrant a $70 plus price increase (a nearly 50% premium!!!!)

The new generation has maintained the small size and easy use of the second generation. They have added a new sensors and image stabilization to 720p video at 60fps. (Second gen-720p 30fps)

I bought the 2nd generation flip minoHD (ASIN: B002R5AM7C) as a present for myself and my family to use for many different applications. The kids have used it for making YouTube videos with their friends. We have used it to record Birthdays, Christmas and many other random filmable occasions all with great results. It has become a favorite of all of the members of my family and me.

My son recently moved away to college and I decided to give the second generation family minoHD to him for school. Conveniently for our Flip-Lacking family, the new 3rd generation minoHD just came out so I ordered it to replace the second generation.

I would be kidding myself if I did not acknowledge that the new features do add some recording benefits but the basis of this review is that my family and I have decided that these improvements just ARE NOT worth the extra $70.

The recording quality is still 720p; the fps increase is hardly noticed. I would feel much better about the price increase if 1080p recording had been incorporated but with the newest round of cell phones producing HD video now, FLIP needs to give us more upgrade for the money.

For now, IMO, the 2nd generation Flip minoHD is a much better value.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Ronald, thanks for being a loyal Flip customer; we truly appreciate your business. We wanted to take this opportunity to shed some additional light on the enhanced features of our new 3rd Generation MinoHD video camera. The 3rd Gen MinoHD provides significant improvements in video quality, which creates video that is clearer and steadier than before. This new MinoHD has a electronic gyro that adjusts the frames captured from the sensor to greatly reduce shake that can occur from slight hand movement. The benefit of the algorithm that Flip uses with the gyro is that it measures true movement of the camera, not the movement of objects within the frame. This makes for a more consistent and smoother video capture. In addition, the 3rd Gen MinoHD records 720p video at 60 frames per second (fps), which is twice as many fps, making for smoother movement in sports- or action-oriented video. Also, because the new video features twice as many frames per second, you'll likely find more still image shots you will want to capture using the Snapshot feature in the FlipShare software.

Prior to releasing our new products, our engineers spent a lot of time investigating 1080p vs. 720p video to determine which resolution would provide the highest-quality video viewing and sharing experience. The challenge with 1080p video from any video camera is that most PCs do not have the processing power to play back 1080p video without significant shuddering in the playback. This makes for an almost unwatchable video on the PC in most cases . This issue is made even worse when you want to upload or share videos via the web or email. This is why we have chosen to continue capturing HD video in 720p. For all forms of sharing over the web, we optimize the video for high-quality playback while avoiding large file uploads or downloads for the person who receives your videos. We feel confident that our new line of video cameras feature our best-ever HD video and that our enhanced FlipShare software allows users to maximize how they organize, edit and share their videos.

Finally, we'd like to point out that MinoHD 3rd Generation is available in 2 hour and 1 hour configurations at suggested retail prices (SRPs) of $229.99 and $179.99 respectively. The 2nd Gen MinoHD 2 Hour was also released at $229.99 SRP before the 3rd Generation product was released, so you are able to take advantage of a price discount on the old version while supplies last. One consideration might be to buy the new MinoHD 1 Hour product and get all the features of the new 2 Hour product for $50 less in the 1 Hour configuration. We hope this has answered your questions.
on December 23, 2010
I have several nice cameras and camcorders but anytime I ask my wife to take a picture, I have to go through a minor training program explaining what this is and what that is. By the time I get it all explained, the photo opportunity is usually lost. I have given up buying her cameras since even the simplest ones seem to baffle her.

I have a smart and very high tech friend, who has many excellent cameras, but often uses a Flip Ultra and loves it. When Amazon offered the Mino HD as the "Deal of the Day", I read a few reviews and went for it. I frankly find it to be an amazing and unique piece of equipment. In this day of cramming more and more features into smaller and smaller packages, Flip has taken the "Keep it Simple" route and I applaud them for that. There is no choice of several video formats, just the one that many of us consider the best. There is no separate still image feature but the software allows you to grab stills of pretty good quality quite easily. Essentially, there is one button to turn the unit on, one button to extend the USB connection, and a large red button to begin and end recording. There is no memory card and no battery, instead, an internal battery and built in memory that will give you two hours of HD recording. It has an image stabilization system, probably electronic that does fine. The LCD screen is beautiful and adequate in size.

In short, this is exactly what I wanted for my wife, something that turns on, takes videos, and turns off. The videos viewed full screen are very good. The sound is excellent. This camera is exactly what it was meant to be, fast into action and good HD quality with good sound. Videos are simple to get on the computer and play beautifully.

The Flip software loads right from the camera, no disc to keep track of. As soon as I loaded it, I was offered a chance to update the software and did. One of the new features allowed me to import my contact list for email. The email program, for the most part, is excellent, but more on that in a minute.

The software is excellent and very intuitive. You can shorten videos from either end and save the new video separately or replace the original one in your camera. You can take stills from the videos with the click of one button. A couple of times my videos were a little jerky, causing a dialogue box to appear that said something like,...."You seem to be having trouble playing your video from the camera. We suggest saving it to your computer and playing the saved copy" That was a one click operation and worked perfectly. I have tried stills, shortening, etc, everything except making a movie. I'm sure that will be easy.

emailing is a snap. All you do is click the email symbol. It lets you drag and drop any video or still and emails them easily. There is no sizing or changing of anything required. I love this feature! Although the emails do not appear in your sent mail file, the Flip software has it's own sent mail file. You can always find what you sent to someone.

So, why not give this Mino HD five stars? It is what it claims to be and it exceeds my expectations. I'd love to give it five stars but I find that the emailing feature, one of my favorites, is mishandled by Flip, at least in my opinion. The person receiving the email will feel that is has been sent by Flip,...and there are ads and invitations to click on this or that for more. It is very easy for the email recipient to find himself in the Flip store with many items offered for sale. Really now, Flip, should you attach your ads to what you call privately shared email? I don't think so. We all get enough spam without it being attached to our personal email.

Anyone wanting something small enough to have with them and simple to operate will love this Mino HD. I'll probably check back after my wife tries it Christmas day. I'm betting she'll love it.

Flip, if you see this, please consider changing your email presentation. You really don't need that with the excellent products you have. It wouldn't surprise me if people found your email ads more offensive than enlightening.

Jack
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2011
After purchasing the Flip Mino HD (third generation) three months ago I have drawn a lot of parallels between it's functionality and my own childhood memories of playing The Adventures Of Zelda on the original NES. Allow me to explain...the Flip Mino HD is something of an enigma that needs a lot of figuring out and patience in order to operate. A constant mystery in terms of reliability the Flip Mino HD will seemingly take on a mind of it's own and decide to crash, refuse to hold a battery charge, overheat, become unresponsive and reduce allowed recording time by misplacing video files somewhere deep within the software. In other words, prepare to be frustrated.

For those who are experiencing these common problems with the Flip Mino HD let me share with you the knowledge I've gained through both trial and error and constant Internet scouring. Please be advised this process may be a bit complex for some consumers and should only be applied if you are certain you understand the process completely. However, if your Flip Mino HD is a dead brick anyway...what have you got to lose?

The first thing I've learned is to immediately (upon purchasing the unit) make a quick back up of all the included files on the Flip's internal flash drive. If you haven't done this already and your Flip is acting up you may need to borrow a friend's and copy the uncorrupted files to your PC that way. Plug the unit into any PC and find the internal files and folders then copy them to your PC. This way you have a backup of all the firmware files that function the unit.

Next reformat the entire flash drive of the unit. This can be done by right clicking on the Flip's flash drive memory icon represented under the "Devices With Removable Storage" screen using your PC and selecting "Format" from the menu. Please understand this process will delete all files on the Flip in order to clear the corrupted software, so be certain you have the original files backed up on your PC for replacement.

Now that the Flip is cleared of all corrupted files, replace them with the original Flip firmware that was copied from the unit in step one. Simply drag and drop the entire lot of original files and folders into the Flip flash drive. The Flip is now reformatted with it's original uncorrupted files. Safely eject the Flip from your computer and power it on.

Using a tiny pin or paperclip hold the factory reset button within the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera down until the unit completely powers down. The illuminated buttons on the back of the camera should be the last thing to power off. Wait five seconds then power on the Flip, it should now be functional.

Because the Flip has a tendency to corrupt itself quite often, this button is essential for keeping the Flip Mino HD from becoming corrupted again. Although it may seem redundant the Flip Mino HD has to be factory reset in this manner every time it is inserted into a USB port for charging of transferring. Remember to follow these steps:

1. Power on the Flip
2. Factory reset the unit until it powers down completely (indicated by the illuminated buttons turning off)
3. Do NOT power on the Flip
4. Insert the unit into a USB port for charging of transferring videos
5. Repeat these steps EVERY time you have to charge or transfer with the Flip Mino HD in order to keep the unit from relapsing.

Yes, I know...for the price of this pocket camcorder consumers deserve much better quality and ease of use. I wanted to like this camera, I really did. It's very sleek and when functioning has very decent video quality. But honestly, this thing produces more headaches than video footage.
on October 11, 2010
I got one of these as a gift and wasn't sure I'd use it much since I have accumulated an assortment of digital cameras big and small. This little powerhouse of a camera has become the go-to for all my video. It's very small and light but comfortable in the hand and I've been able to use it with ease without ever opening the instruction book which was a big plus for me. I also love that there is no power or USB cord that I have to keep track of because I'm terrible about keeping those handy for my other cameras. The video plays back crisp and clear even on the full-screen. It rivals my much larger and more expensive Canon HD video camera, which takes amazing video but I rarely use because it's such a hassle. Overall I think this new Flip is an amazing piece of hardware -- stylish, compact, powerful -- that couldn't be easier to use.
on November 21, 2010
I love this camera--it's great for home use--I'm a big fan of the 60fps feature and honestly, for 95% of any of the video I do, 720p is plenty.

I've used this camera with surprising result in conjunction with a Panasonic professional camera--the color balance needs some tweaking in Premiere, but this camera keeps up with professional grade hardware if you use an external (i.e. take your audio from another camera) audio source and it's not your primary shot. For the price, there's no excuse not to have multiple camera shots if you've already got a professional set up.

For my personal video stuff (home videos, family stuff, dumb videos of the dogs) it's surprisingly easy to use, my only complaint (as with all hand held video cameras) is that the audio is a little weak--but this camera holds its own with the rest of the handheld video camera market (actually performs better than my old Panasonic SD9).

So you don't have zoom, or manual focus, or any of those built in filters (that no one in their right mind would use... who really wants to take video with sepia?), but you can't beat the price and the ease of use means that I (technophile geek) and my wife (not quite a geek yet) can use this camera without any real complaints.
on April 22, 2011
Got this for Xmas last year and it has never worked properly. Overnight charging with a full battery indicator gave me about an hour's max of recording time, so the unit seems to lack the power reserve to utilize the 8GB of memory.

I prefer to use my more reliable and versatile Lumix still camera to shoot video, so I didn't use this Mino much. But it has freezed up from low battery most every time I've used it and has charging issues, despite my buying the OEM power adapter (computer USB charging never worked as the Mino requires more than the customary amperage from my laptop's USB ports).
Great design, great concept, but poor engineering and power management make this thing a very sexy paperweight.
on May 17, 2011
I purchased this camera because I have owned a Flip Mino before (not HD) and was happy with the product. The first time I used the camera, it would record videos. Then, when I would turn the camera off, it wouldn't turn back on. The only way I could get it to turn on was to plug it into my computer first. Then, after using it for about 5 minutes, I got it to turn back on and the battery was completely drained. I searched online to see if others had this issue and found many forum entries with other people having the same problem with this camera. I would not recommend purchasing this camera. I have since purchased a Sony Bloggie for work and a Kodak Play sport for personal use, and they are both great!
on November 15, 2010
I bought this for my wife for an early Christmas present. We love it! It is super easy to use. It carries the program on the video camera you need to upload and edit video on to a computer. Meaning if you over at a friends house and have a video they want, you can simply plug it in and and upload the video to there computer without having to have an internet connection or a CD. It shoots good video, and is really easy to use. Overall great little camera.