Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Color: White|Change

on November 26, 2010
Please see Cisco's response, below. I am glad Cisco has responded.

________________________________

I almost bought one of these until I read the fine print.

The "real" Flip UltraHAD 3rd Generation has 60 fps recording speed for better action shots AND electronic stabilization - two BIG features.

I can give up the 4 gb of extra storage on the "regular" model, but his "Black Friday" model blowing out at Walmart, Best Buy, and Amazon strikes me as a "come on" - it omits the two essential features that make the 3rd Generation Flips of interest - the higher frame rate (60 fps vs 30 fps on this one) and the stabilization. Read the specs and blurbs on the REAL model you need to be looking at:
Flip UltraHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (3rd Generation) NEWEST MODEL
2121 comments| 403 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2010
I couldn't ask for an easier lighter more user friendly camcorder than this! This camera is so easy to use it's amazing. Just point and shoot. Then preview your videos or upload to your computer. The Flip software for your computer helps you customize and make adorable movies to be burned to a cd and saved forever! This camer is so easy, I convinced my principal to purchase three for our school. Now kids make video projects! I even video taped our SGA speeches and created a movie with music and credits. Sure, there are plenty out there that can do all this, but for the price and the ease, the Flip is the bomb!
0Comment| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2010
I double checked the specs on the Flip website - although the 1 hour and 2 hour Flips have identical names, they are NOT the same quality camera. The 2 hours has image stabilization and 60 fps (frames per second), while the 1 hour camera does not have stabilization and only shoots 30 fps.

I can't stand it when companies pull stuff like this.
11 comment| 173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2011
The economical Flip does what it says and despite the rumors of the parent company selling out and etc, etc. seriously who cares at this price? I remember the huge,sit on shoulder camcorders at $1800 back in the early 1990's and the $800.00 mini camcorder we bought (still a handful) just a few years ago which, with their smaller videos, could not be loaded directly onto our computer or viewed without other pieces of equipment or a pro to upload to a disc. LOL and then within a month of buying it, the digitals popped up. So from a 20 year perspective of evolution of the camcorder, we love it!

So the FLIP was a welcome little jewel. We went for the 1 hour rather then the 2 hour at a lower price and it has been great. Quality rivals our previous expensive camcorders, it is simple to use, lightweight, and uploading to the computer is as simple as popping it onto the computer.
So don't sweat over the future of the original company. By that time something else will be out and at this VERY affordable price, you can't go wrong.
We stuck with the basics and are delighted with the results. We use it not only for personal use but our business where we can easily upload a YouTube tutorial as well as use it on short clips on Facebook.
Not bad for someone who remembers when computer programmers had to read punch out cards!
on November 27, 2010
I really am impressed with this camera. It films GREAT! Very clear, many FPS, and it blocks out background noise very well. It was deffinatly worth the $99 dollars! Trust me, DONT listen to the bad reviews, it really is a great camera.
on November 27, 2010
Ease of use: 5 stars
Responsiveness: 5 stars
Performance in low light: 4 1/2 stars
Video quality: for the price 4 1/2 stars
Audio Quality: 3 1/2 stars
Youtube friendly when it comes to audio: 2 stars (at least, back in 2010).

P.S. I'm adding this in 2014 and there has been some improvement over at youtube with sound quality of the upload of the Flip audio. Also, after getting the Kodak ZI10 a few years later, I find the Flip (in my opinion) towers over the Kodak in video quality, low lighting and audio. Although, the ZI10 has a mic jack where you can add a better microphone but anyhow...)

For you musicians and public speakers, (I am both), here is how I feel about the audio. First off, it has stereo mics which pick up surprisingly good. Nice separation. But, unfortunately it records too loudly (I got two Flip UltraHD 2 3Rd Generation thinking the first was defective so I replaced it). So the audio breaks up and you can hear distortion. Even lowering the volume in an audio editor after recorded (since there are not volume controls on the unit) doesn't remove the distortion. And I believe that distortion is the main problem once Youtube gets a hold of the file. After upload, the audio depreciates to the point that you can hear a phaser type sound in some of my uploads. One of my husbands had a digital chatter in the background. And it was a direct upload. It didn't go through editing software first.

So, if you're gonna use the camera to catch some scenery and pick up the sounds of nature, you'll probably love it. But for recording music videos or speaking videos(close up), and then uploading them to Youtube you may not.

***As a post script, there has been some improvement over at youtube in dealing with flip audio since I did my original review (I'm adding this post script on 2/26/12).***

One more thing, the 4GB camera is not the same as the 8GB one. The 8GB (which is the one most review sites review) records in 60 FPS and 30 FPS. The 4GB only 30 FPS. Also, according to the Flip Specs page, the mics are different too. The 4GB (the one I have) mentions that they are Wide-range stereo omni-directional. The 8GB is Wide-range stereo but no omni-directional. Don't know if the omni-directional causes the audio overloads because of what it picks up in the room.

P.S.
IN RESPONSE TO THE MANUFACTURES COMMENT ON THIS REVIEW:

Hey Matt. Great info for future buyers.

About the mics, I got my info about the difference between the mics from this Flip spec page. Although the link may not show up. This is my second attempt trying to post the link here. If Amazon won't allow it, you'll just see brackets).

Ok, here is the link from Flip Knowledge base.

You can see that the specs for the mic on the Flip UltraHD 1hr has a different description than the rest of the models listed. And, having compared the audio with the Flip Ultra 2hr (which I had in my possession for a week) and the Flip UltraHD II 1hr, there was a definite difference. The Ultra HD lets in much more sound.

Anyhow, yeah, I heard about the FlipPort feature they added to the even newer models than the one I have. Sounds like a great feature to add accessories including an external mic. Too bad I bought mine before this was available. But good for the future buyers.

All the best
44 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2010
Ordered it for my 8 year old for X-mas. I'm pretty confident she'll love it. I tested it. Basically, hassle-free thing - no wires, no installation disks, excellent recording quality, has a port for HDMI (allows you to watch the video on your flat screen easily). Once you plug it into your comp the first time, it installs simple interface program with the tons of functions. Should be pretty easy to drive for a kid (e.i. the programs miles easier than Photoshop or video-editing soft).

The camera itself pretty small, probably slightly longer then iPhone and think as a pack of cigarettes. The only draw down - is that it doesn't have a cord for carrying, however does have the place for it. The 4 stars from me - is a result for lacking this cord.
on June 24, 2011
Great videography! Lightweight, and easy to hold to get a steady film. Very attractive looking and simple to use, only a few buttons to work with. Great price for a high quality HD video camera. Takes excellent snapshot photos as well. Easy to download built in software easily allows you to edit your video on you computer fast. Also has a software option that lets you quickly upload to youtube and facebook. Amazon.com and Walmart have awesome prices for this product.
on December 21, 2010
I guess releasing a bargain priced 4GB video camera shooting in 720P makes sense for the value conscientious minded consumer. But there are 2 key features missing in this bargain video camera: Image Stabilization and 60fps (the 4GB model only shoots at 30fps, trust me, there's a huge difference in video quality and fluidity). I was okay with the 4GB Flip UltraHD until I realized that whenever I shot personal events that involved people MOVING, it was sort of choppy (even in well lit areas). It so happens that my co-worker had the Flip UltraHD 8GB and it had Image Stabilization and shot in 60fps. Talk about a huge difference. You might as well shell out the extra $50-$60 for the 8GB model because the Image Stabilization makes a huge difference. And 60fps vs. 30fps is huge too. If you're not big on visual quality and fluidity in your home made movies, this is the camera for you. But if you want more bang for your buck, shell out the extra dough for the 8GB model. You won't be sorry that you did.
on September 28, 2011
I purchased this camera to replace my daughter's standard Flip Video that I lost. The HD version really does make a difference. The response time is faster (turning off and on, stopping and starting), the picture quality is clearer, and the sound is easier to hear. This is a step up for Flip.