5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my camera!
Published on April 11, 2011 by dreamingviola

3.0 out of 5 stars Before you give up, try this! Battery is finicky but works.
This battery will work, but it takes some inside knowledge and effort. To avoid the negative reviews, Blue Proton should ship the batteries partially or fully charged, or with some additional instruction. This is why I give this product only three stars.

Published 19 months ago by S. Parker

3.0 out of 5 stars Before you give up, try this! Battery is finicky but works., January 27, 2013
This review is from: Flip Video Battery Pack for 3rd Generation Flip UltraHD Video Cameras (Electronics)

I read the reviews before buying this battery. In spite of the negative reviews, I decided to take my chances, as I needed my Flip Ultra HD for an upcoming trip, and I *thought* my old battery (or God forbid -camera) had died. This seemed like the only option for me.

Shortly after ordering it though, I did some research on Flip batteries - and stumbled upon this article with which I was able to revive my old battery: [Edit on 2/1/13: Amazon stripped out the link to the article, so here is a breadcrumb trail -- Google: Flip Knowledge Base, article title is "How do I reset and charge my Flip video camera?" Article ID: 23]
The key points are:
a) resetting your camera by removing battery for at least 60 seconds;
b) after reset, put battery back in -- and this is important -- charge via your laptop or PC USB (and make sure the computer doesn't go to sleep during the entire process); and
c) (this is the kicker) knowing to wait 30-60 minutes for charging to kick in. (See the fine print toward the end of the article, which is really easy to miss: "Charging your video camera when the battery is extremely low on power activates the Trickle Charge feature. It may take 30-60 minutes before you could see any indication that the battery is charging.")

I performed steps a) b) and c) with my old battery and got it to fully charge.

However, when I received the Blue Proton, I didn't follow those steps - I just plopped it in the camera and plugged the camera into a new Flip Video Power Adapter I bought along with the battery. Several hours later - no charge. Have no idea if it was the method of charging or that I didn't wait 60 seconds between removing the old battery and putting new one in. So then I followed the process above, and voila - the battery fully charged!

I think the Trickle Charge "feature" is why so many reviewers quite reasonably concluded the battery is junk. Given that, why doesn't Blue Proton just ship these things charged??? Why are the parts so finicky? I suppose there's some technical or logical reason - batteries are charged but they're sitting around in the shrink wrap too long?

Finally, the lesson I learned: To avoid this hassle don't let your existing battery drain down to nothing and then neglect it for months on end; try to keep it charged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my camera!, April 11, 2011
I purchased the camera, and like several of the other reviewers mentioned, the battery that came with my camera in mine doesn't work. I contacted Amazon, they ordered me this battery and replaced the one in my camera at no charge, now my camera works perfectly! It was not only great customer service, but a great camera. It's a shame that all of the bunk batteries appear to have been stuck in with the cameras, so it makes it a tad inconvenient. But rest assured, the battery that came through here was perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't buy it anywhere else, July 20, 2011
Stores carried the 3rd generation flip camera but not the battery. This was the only place I could find it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great battery back-up for Flip, July 23, 2011
C. Hopper (Northwestern Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
We purchased the Flip recorder, and figured a back-up battery was in order. Although the Flip will take regular batteries, it uses them up much more quickly than a Flip battery. Good investment (...and yep we LOVE the Flip!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase for the Flip Ultra HD 3rd Gen!!, January 15, 2012
I bought this battery for a back up for our new flip Ultra HD 3rd generation. This is the OEM battery for the Flip. It charged in several hours as it should have and still has held the charge for over a month since it was charged. I had no problem with this item. It performs as it should and it it available here for cheaper than from the manufactuer. I have no problem recommending it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Get Stuck Without Power!, August 15, 2011
So your battery runs out when you are on a camping trip and there is no computer or wall socket to charge it. So your battery runs out when you are at a relatives party and they don't have a computer and you forgot your charger. So your battery runs out when you are...stop it! I actually had the first experience happen to me while filming from on top of a mountain. I was SO mad. Now I always carry this extra battery. My FLIP records 2 hours and this battery will last 1.5 hours. That's good enough, especially since you should (according to film experts) never record more than a few minutes of the same thing to avoid boring your viewer. This battery is a life saver, but be careful. Only buy FLIP batteries and not generic. I've never had luck with any kind if generic except for my flashlight. The price is right as well too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cisco has killed this product, March 4, 2013
I hate what Cisco has done to this once fine product. You can use regular batteries in these units anymore. Also, I bought 6 of these cameras with extra batteries for our college. One camera was completely inoperable. the others would only work with certain chargers and batteries.

1.0 out of 5 stars Battery Pack was dead and will not charge, November 28, 2011
The extra battery I bought for Amazon was placed in my Flip UltraHD video camera and charged for 4 hours. I then tried to use the camera but but no power. I placed the battery that came with the Flip camera and it worked fine. I was surprised at this because I never have received bad items for Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars flip battery, November 16, 2012
I could not get the battery to charge. I had to call the help line to find out how to jump start it. After that it still took me 24 hours to get the battery to even begin to charge. After that it has been fine so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dependable Battery at a great price, August 8, 2011
Since these will probably be discontinued...thought it was a good time to stock up. Good price - Fast shipping. Thanks

Rate and Discover Movies