Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Flip Video Battery Pack for 3rd Generation Flip UltraHD Video Cameras
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on January 27, 2013
This battery will work, but it takes some inside knowledge and effort. To avoid the negative reviews, Blue Proton should ship the batteries partially or fully charged, or with some additional instruction. This is why I give this product only three stars.

I read the reviews before buying this battery. In spite of the negative reviews, I decided to take my chances, as I needed my Flip Ultra HD for an upcoming trip, and I *thought* my old battery (or God forbid -camera) had died. This seemed like the only option for me.

Shortly after ordering it though, I did some research on Flip batteries - and stumbled upon this article with which I was able to revive my old battery: [Edit on 2/1/13: Amazon stripped out the link to the article, so here is a breadcrumb trail -- Google: Flip Knowledge Base, article title is "How do I reset and charge my Flip video camera?" Article ID: 23]
The key points are:
a) resetting your camera by removing battery for at least 60 seconds;
b) after reset, put battery back in -- and this is important -- charge via your laptop or PC USB (and make sure the computer doesn't go to sleep during the entire process); and
c) (this is the kicker) knowing to wait 30-60 minutes for charging to kick in. (See the fine print toward the end of the article, which is really easy to miss: "Charging your video camera when the battery is extremely low on power activates the Trickle Charge feature. It may take 30-60 minutes before you could see any indication that the battery is charging.")

I performed steps a) b) and c) with my old battery and got it to fully charge.

However, when I received the Blue Proton, I didn't follow those steps - I just plopped it in the camera and plugged the camera into a new Flip Video Power Adapter I bought along with the battery. Several hours later - no charge. Have no idea if it was the method of charging or that I didn't wait 60 seconds between removing the old battery and putting new one in. So then I followed the process above, and voila - the battery fully charged!

I think the Trickle Charge "feature" is why so many reviewers quite reasonably concluded the battery is junk. Given that, why doesn't Blue Proton just ship these things charged??? Why are the parts so finicky? I suppose there's some technical or logical reason - batteries are charged but they're sitting around in the shrink wrap too long?

Finally, the lesson I learned: To avoid this hassle don't let your existing battery drain down to nothing and then neglect it for months on end; try to keep it charged.
88 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2011
I purchased the camera, and like several of the other reviewers mentioned, the battery that came with my camera in mine doesn't work. I contacted Amazon, they ordered me this battery and replaced the one in my camera at no charge, now my camera works perfectly! It was not only great customer service, but a great camera. It's a shame that all of the bunk batteries appear to have been stuck in with the cameras, so it makes it a tad inconvenient. But rest assured, the battery that came through here was perfect!
So your battery runs out when you are on a camping trip and there is no computer or wall socket to charge it. So your battery runs out when you are at a relatives party and they don't have a computer and you forgot your charger. So your battery runs out when you are...stop it! I actually had the first experience happen to me while filming from on top of a mountain. I was SO mad. Now I always carry this extra battery. My FLIP records 2 hours and this battery will last 1.5 hours. That's good enough, especially since you should (according to film experts) never record more than a few minutes of the same thing to avoid boring your viewer. This battery is a life saver, but be careful. Only buy FLIP batteries and not generic. I've never had luck with any kind if generic except for my flashlight. The price is right as well too.
on January 15, 2012
I bought this battery for a back up for our new flip Ultra HD 3rd generation. This is the OEM battery for the Flip. It charged in several hours as it should have and still has held the charge for over a month since it was charged. I had no problem with this item. It performs as it should and it it available here for cheaper than from the manufactuer. I have no problem recommending it to others.
on July 23, 2011
We purchased the Flip recorder, and figured a back-up battery was in order. Although the Flip will take regular batteries, it uses them up much more quickly than a Flip battery. Good investment (...and yep we LOVE the Flip!).
on March 24, 2014
I was excited to get a back-up for my brand new Cisco Flip but the battery was received DEAD. DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD. Amazon won't let me replace it for another, only a return. I may "chance it" by ordering another, but I'm not sure. Reading ALL of the reviews, I don't know if I will be one of the lucky ones to get a WORKING battery.
on November 19, 2013
After educating myself on the difficulties of charging a flip battery I found the performance of the battery fine. The flip apparently will charge batteries in trickle mode based on certain circumstances. The result is after traditionally charging the battery for several hours there will be very little power to the battery. If this is an issue, just google flip battery will not charge on how to charge the battery not in trickle mode.

Overall the battery works as expected. Products as timely delivered, noo issues incurred after ten recharges.
on July 24, 2011
This battery pack fits and works perfectly in my 3rd generation Flip UltraHD video camera and it is a very high quality product. Before ordering, however, please insure that you have the correct camera version for this product, since the various camera models are easily confused.

I only wish that the camera's manufacturer had not decided to get out of the business of producing this reasonably priced, outstanding consumer product. I think they made a big mistake thinking that the advent of the "smart phone" with video capability would obsolete this fine product. Not everyone wants to pay a fortune for a smart phone service plan to take HD videos inferior in quality to those of the Flip cameras.

What a shame - to purchase the company and then, abruptly, chop it off without even trying to sell it to another firm. Another highly innovative product bites the dust!

These cameras were excellent products and I only hope these quality battery packs will continue to be made available for the foreseeable future.
on March 4, 2013
I hate what Cisco has done to this once fine product. You can use regular batteries in these units anymore. Also, I bought 6 of these cameras with extra batteries for our college. One camera was completely inoperable. the others would only work with certain chargers and batteries.
on May 12, 2013
I generally try to buy batteries that were made by the same company that produced my item. I have a Flip Ultra HD camcorder. I really like it. I have some problems lately with it not turning on. Though I can remedy this problem by taking the battery out, plugging it into the computer, putting the battery back in...I wasn't sure if it wasn't a sign that my camcorder's battery is starting to die. Therefore, I thought I would buy a new one...because losing my camcorder would be a disaster. I make money off videos I upload.

I haven't fully tested this new battery yet. My old battery is like this one. With continuous use, I get 30-45 minutes before the battery goes low. I realize this may not be good for everyone, but for my needs it is fine. It takes about two hours to charge up from the computer if I drain it almost totally. Normally I do short clips, and I can store nearly two hours of footage that way. The battery life can last me as long as a week in these cases. The battery is easy to remove and insert. I have noticed that the camcorder gets hot with continuous use--but that seems to be the camcorder and not the battery.