4.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Surprisingly good, especially for the price point!
Published 17 months ago by Chris Ee

3.0 out of 5 stars Honest review
I received these headphone straight from Flips audio themselves, I took there try before you buy challenge. I used them over a couple of weeks to them an honest try. I used them as headphones and also used the unique feature and as the name suggests the ear cups flip out 180 degrees to act as powered amplified portable speakers.

Here is the break down of the...
Published 15 months ago by David Lopez

3.0 out of 5 stars Honest review, September 25, 2013
This review is from: Flips Audio FH2814BK Collapsible HD Headphones and Stereo Speakers, Black (Electronics)

Here is the break down of the head phones.

Presentation.
The overall presentation of the headphones are very nice from the sleek packaging stating all the aspects of the headphones to the ample amounts of padding used to secure the headphones themselves. The headphones themselves are stored inside a semi hard shell. The. Hard shell itself Is more of an egg shape to accommodate the headphones in their folded positions. Inside the case comes the headphones in their folded position and a USB charging cable to charge the battery that is used when the headphones are used in the flipped out speaker position.

Build quality
The overall build quality of the headphones are a mixed bag. Some parts are built for use and abuse, like the sturdy metal hinges that are used when folding the phones to store them. While other parts seem just a little too weak for the job at hand. Ie. the pivot points of the actual ear cups have a very slight wobble when you flip out the ear cups to use as head phones. I do not know if they are designed that way or not. Also the headphones are a tight fit, after using them for an extended time the pressure of the head phone can be felt on the temples, even more so if you use glasses.

Sound quality

The sound of the headphones are good but not great. The sound range of the headphones seem to be somewhat limited are a bit flat. Mind you all of the sounds are their and can be heard. But the overall mix of the speakers seems to limit what these speakers are actually capable of doing.On the up side they do sound much better when they are flipped out and used as powered speakers.

Overall

These headphones are descent headphones. But there are a few nuances That seems to keep these headphones from being great. I.e. the tight fit and the limited soundscape of the earphones keep these head phones from being a great pair.

I hope this honest review of these head phones help the maker consider some minor changes to these to make these head phones a great pair.

But as with all reviews it is up to you to come up with your own conclusion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Surprisingly good, especially for the price point!, July 10, 2013
So I have a pair of these - Took me by complete surprise. I normally use earphones, but lately I've been looking increasingly at headphones and was extremely frustrated at how expensive (and sub-par!!) headphones under $200 were! Heck, my EARPHONES that cost $50 had better audio quality than most! Then I saw these. They were better quality than the Beats solo which cost 200 dollars, PLUS they turn out into speakers!!

Granted, they're not mind-blowingly great audio quality. But compared to other headphones below the $150 price point (even the $200 ones!) - these are better than most. Huge + given that they also insulate external sound extremely well. I hope these are just the first gen, because I'd definitely love for them to improve the bass and the highs.

Update from a comment I had with another curious user:
Interestingly enough - I think their speaker mode audio sounds better than their headphone mode. I thought it would have been the other way around though. I must say however, that it still isn't half bad on headphone mode. I would love it if they work on the trebles/highs as well, but then again from experience no one headphone/earphones can cover all of them.

I'd say give them a shot, because you can still return them if you don't like it. So far, no problems though - I just wish my colleague would stop stealing them :|

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to go, January 20, 2014
Bought for my daughter and she loves them. And very good sound when she flips them. (Sometimes wish I couldn't hear lol)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought today on sale, February 7, 2014
I bought these today on sale for $69.99 @ BJ's. I like them just as much as I like my beats that I got on sale for $100.00 @ Best Buy around Christmas time. They are not as loud as I thought they would be, but maybe if I tried them with something other than my ipod they would be louder. I would buy again for gifts @ that price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved them when they worked but cant throw away $100 ..., September 9, 2014
This is my second pair that has died. Called customer service 3 times got no response. First pair died after 3 use. would not take a charge for the speakers to work. Loved them when they worked but cant throw away $100 EVERY 2 MONTHS

1.0 out of 5 stars I was told to just buy another set...unbelievable., September 10, 2014
Please beware and pass the word share this with all your Facebook friends. I purchased these flips head phones and 6 months later they started to have issues ie: sound quality. I contacted customer service and was told they would not service the equipment because the warranty was already extended to 6 months from 3 months. I advised them this was unfair to customers and what was I supposed to do with these faulty head phones I was told to purchase a new pair. DO NOT BUY FLIPS AUDIO HEAD PHONES, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE!!! $119 TO RENT A PAIR OF HEAD PHONES....I know you're say stop crying, but fair is fair I'm not crying about the $119 I'm upset that they don't care I spent $119 and the people I refer would have spent $119. Anyway stay away from this product and share this status.

1.0 out of 5 stars The flip phones stopped working two days after Christmas. And, because it was a third-party purchase, the return is STILL unreso, February 6, 2014
It stopped working two days after Christmas. And because it was a third party purchase, the return is STILL unresolved.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke After 10 Months - Only 90 Day Warranty, August 4, 2014
Paul Balsamo (Massapequa Park, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Worked fine for 10 months. They just stopped working (no sound at all) after normal use. I checked with FlipsAudio and there is only a 90 day warranty and there is no repair option. They offered me a "discount" of $20 off for a new pair at $100. As I write this, price on Amazon is $84.95. Buyer beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, sound quality is terrible., July 14, 2014
These are the worst pair of headphones I've ever used. Not worth the price at all. As a portable speaker they are ok at best. But the sound quality on the headphones are absolutely horrible. Sound is muffled. Actually sounds like the sound is coming out of a telephone with a sock on it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A waste of$130., August 19, 2014
This product is ok but after all the turning and flipping there is a short in the cord and the is no way to fix it. A waste of$130.