5.0 out of 5 stars Polly Holliday = Amazing
Polly Holliday is who made "Alice" the successful series it became. Anything Ms. Holliday is in is a treat. It's great to finally be able to see all the episodes of this series, which like another reviewer wrote- it's never on t.v. Thanks for the laughs, Polly!
Published 15 months ago by SunnyATL

3.0 out of 5 stars What a mistake!
The biggest mistake they did was to let Flo leave Alice. She's a wonderful character and fun to watch but I'm not too crazy about the Flo series. Spinoffs are tricky and I feel that this one just didn't work. Still it's great that they release this series so we Flo fans can get a chance to see it.
Published 15 months ago by Kindle Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Polly Holliday = Amazing, November 17, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent show, November 28, 2013
This review is from: Flo: The Complete Series (DVD)
Once Flo left Alice the show was never the same and yeah Flo wasn't the best spinoff but it's still enjoyable and rarely seen in syndication so it's a good DVD set to add to your collection and a chance to enjoy more of Polly a holiday as Flo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, Kiss My Grits, December 28, 2013
This review is from: Flo: The Complete Series (DVD)
I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I came across the short-lived series Flo on Amazon's Unbox Videos - and now on DVD. This series hasn't seen the light of day since it left CBS in 1981. OK, I think TV Land aired 1 episode many-a-Christmases-ago, but that doesn't really count.

After being the belle of the ball on Alice for 5 years, Polly Holliday took the opportunity to spin her character off into her own show. The short first season was a ratings knock-out, finishing in the Nielsen Top 10 for that year. Also, airing after M*A*S*H didn't hurt.

Season Two came with a different (and competitive) time slot (Monday's at 8) and things starting sliding down hill from there. CBS didn't seem really invested enough to find "Flo" a better time slot, instead they flipped it around, back and forth. Even landing on Saturday night's for a short period of time. The death blow to any show searching for an audience, even back in the early 80's.

Cancellation came that spring for "Flo". Bringing with it an end to one of the most engaging sitcom characters to have ever existed, with her war cry "Kiss My Grits" being silenced forever.

I'm sure Holliday wanted nothing to do "Alice" again, even if an offer to return existed. It was widely rumored Linda Lavin was extremely jealous of the popularity of Holliday's "Flo" - and with good reason. Alice paled in Flo's shadow.

Holliday went on to other successes in theatre, TV and movies. But, she'll always be remembered best for playing that red-headed spitfire from Cowtown, Texas. The larger-than-life Florence Jean Castleberry.

3.0 out of 5 stars What a mistake!, November 21, 2013
This review is from: Flo: The Complete Series (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Flo's yellow Rose finally on DVD Kiss my Grits Yay!!!!, December 29, 2013
Mr. Daniel Black (Canberra Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flo: The Complete Series (DVD)
I have been waiting for this series for a long time as well as Alice as well and they are both good and I have been waiting to see the full episode where Mel visited her I remember it when I was younger and I only saw part of it so I thought he had dared her not to say Her catchphrase " kiss my Grits but it wasn't the case but it was just as funny and it had great guest stars like Alice Did one in particular guest star was Axton, Hoyt Axton as Flo exclaimed he also sang the theme song . Another surprise was to see Lucy Lee FLippen who had finished doing Little House on the Praire where she played Alonozo WIlders sister and school teacher and in Flo she played Flo's Prim and proper sister Fran . So if you loved the series Alice you would want Flo to complete the series So Kiss my grits and buy it, I dare ya. yay!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four seasons of "Alice" and now "Flo" are on DVD!, November 15, 2013
This review is from: Flo: The Complete Series (DVD)
This show is never on TV so it's great that the complete series (29 episodes) is finally on DVD. Lots of guest stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars FLO IS FUN, July 25, 2014
Darmez (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flo: The Complete Series (DVD)
7.25.14 - I ordered this dvd set some months ago and I stagger the episodes because I want the fun of watching it for the first time to last as long as possible. I watch an episode every week or two weeks, knowing there are only 29 episodes. I'm in the middle of disc 3 of the 4. Polly is an absolute hoot to watch, she's so adorable and cute, ya almost forget this show is from 1981, 33 years ago! Also because the show is set in a bar, it's easy to forget the actual time period, fresh off the 1970s. And it appears remastered, it looks good on my LG HD LED big screen tv and not all blotchy like some old shows on new tvs.

I will say that this show definitely misses the mark but ONLY, and I do mean ONLY because of the supporting cast. The creators/producers/casting people could've done a WAY better job casting this show. The supporting cast was not only unappealing physically but personality-wise as well. You feel no sympathy or connection to the supporting characters. Farley the banker tops the list of annoying, unappealing characters. The sister, Fran, is right up there too, MAN is she ridiculously unappealing, she is the exact opposite of Flo, its impossible to believe they are sisters. There's prissy but her level of prissiness just doesn't fit this family at all, none of the other member's of Flo's family are like that at all, so she's just unbelievable as a Castleberry.

The piano player is just plain weird. The bookkeeper and Flo's best friend is, well, okay I guess, fortunately she's not on screen much enough to notice. The bumbling gas jockey who comes in is just goofy. Her bartender is okay but again, physically unappealing. However, he DOES deliver some funny lines. It's almost as if they wanted Flo to shine even more, so they purposely filled the supporting roles with unattractive actors. There were so many other character actors they could've hired back then who were much better looking. I'm not all into looks, I'm speaking objectively actually, the American public watching tv shows likes to look at the attractive characters more. Flo absolutely pops like a birthday cake every time she enters a scene. She totally steals the show.

I DO like Mama. She has some good lines and is believable as Flo's Mama. The actor who played Flo's long-lost father on Alice, reprises his role on Flo also, in a VERY touching Thanksgiving two-parter episode. We get to see the entire Castleberry clan, including her rodeo-star brother, J.J., although he is much more subdued on Flo. Muuuuuch more subdued. But, so far, this Thanksgiving episode was the best. It displays Polly's range of emotion and they use the camera effect using a single camera to follow her through the best and most griping scene of the episode, which added even more drama because you saw real emotion from the actors involved. During this scene, Flo tries to convince Mama to step outside to join the family at the dinner table, including her long-lost ex-husband, Flo's Daddy. I'm tellin ya I had tears in my eyes, it was THAT well-played by Polly, the Mama, the Daddy AND the rest of the Castleberry clan, each with their own opinions and feelings about Daddy's return and sharing the Thanksgiving Day table with him. Punch ya in the stomach drama. With those classic, CBS, 1970s close-up shots. This was the episode that gave me credence to continue on with hope for the rest of the series episodes. Some hit, some miss but overall, it's fun to watch.

By the way, the Mel episode was okay, but very predictable. Ya just have to deal with Mel's annoying bossiness while Flo keeps her temper in check, when all along you just want her to go the hell off on Mel and let him have it!!!

It's a shame this show didn't go longer. From what I've seen so far, it could have. Polly was definitely Flo here, but for me personally, I appreciate her character on Flo even moreso than on Alice because we get to see an expansion of her character, we get to see Flo more intimately than we did on Alice. When you compare the character on both shows, we met Flo on Alice but ya really get to know her on Flo. So THAT is the reason I give the show 5-stars, simply for Flo. She was a very sweet, genuine, caring, sympathetic, deeply scarred, nurturing, confident as all git out without being arrogant, and extremely funny character.

If you're a true Alice fan, and loved it mostly for Flo, then I think if you watch this spin-off, you'll see it has it's gems.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, February 5, 2014
This review is from: Flo: The Complete Series (DVD)
I am not a huge fan of shows with western or hick-ish themes and this is what FLO is
Love Flo love Polly but this was not the Flo we loved on Alice.
Just an ok show and CBS should have done better by Polly and FLO and given her a better show and when this failed Polly should have been asked back to Alice as to me that show was never the same when Polly left

5.0 out of 5 stars FLO, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Flo: The Complete Series (DVD)
THESE ARE VERY FUNNY SERIES JUST LIKE WATCHING T.V.. I REMEMBER I USR TO WATCH THIS SHOW. I'TS STILL AS FUNNY AS WHEN I USE TO WATCH THIS DAILY ON T.V.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, December 28, 2013
This review is from: Flo: The Complete Series (DVD)
I wanted this DVD because Polly Holliday was the star. I would recommend it to all my friends. Flo will be missed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Flo: The Complete Series
Flo: The Complete Series by Flo (DVD - 2013)
$35.99 $26.26