Floating on Mama's Song
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$14.83 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Anita's mama loves to sing. She's always singing around the house, Anita and her little brother get lost in her voice.
When Anita turns seven years old, her mama's voice turns magical. When Anita mama sings now everyone around her floats in the air.

When I got home from school that day, the delicious smell of fried plantains and black beans hung in the air. Mama was singing a song from Carmen, her favorite opera. When I ran into the kitchen, I froze. Mama was floating in the air! Outside, our dog, Tito, was floating above the ground too!

Esa dia, cuando lleque de la escuela, note el delicioso aroma de platano frito y frijoles negros. Mama estaba cantando un aria de Carmen, su opera favorita. Cuando entre a la cocina, quede fria. Mama estaba flotando en el aire! Afuera, nuestro perro Tito. Tambien estaba flotando!

The above is only page two. Lacamara gets into the body of the story quickly. One the first page the reader learns something happen to Anita's mama's voice than Bam, they are floating in the house.

Anita's grandmother tells her daughter not to sing any more. Anita's mama misses singing and is very sad. Anita is trying to find a way to make her happy again. Her grandmother is the key.

Lacamara tells a wonderfully lyrical story, that connects three generation of women. To see Morales illustrations once is to love them. Morales has such a way with color and facial expressions. I am always moved by her art.

The reader/ listener will feel the family's love through the words and the art. This picture book debut is gorgeous from both a textual and visual stand point. I absolutely loved it.
on February 14, 2011
Floating on Mama's Song, by Laura Lacamara and illustrated by Yuyi Morales is a picture book about the joy of a mother's song. One day, when the music stops, everyone in Mama's world is saddened.

Lacamara tells this uplifting tale in English and Spanish. Morales' watercolor art animates the characters.

The story begins when seven-year old Anita comes home from school. As she enters her home listening to her mother's beautiful voice, she witnesses an astounding site. Dog Tito and Mama are floating. Mama's song from the opera, Carmen, acts "like a golden staircase."

Soon Grandma comes for a visit and ends this foolishness. "What would the neighbors think?" she asks. So Mama gives up song and drops into a funk.

Floating on Mama's Song bridges three generations and shows young readers how a tiny member of the family can have the opportunity to affect positive changes. I highly recommend this book for children of all ages.
on February 14, 2011
The book "Floating on Mama's song" by Laura Lacamara and illustrated by Yuni Morales,Anita finds out about a family secret.Her mom was getting into problem because of a hidden family talent. Anita is thinking about helping her mom when... .
By writing "Floating on Mama's Song" in two languages,English and Spanish,Laura Lacamara gifted this book to children in a variety of cultures.
"There must be a way to make Mama smile again,I thought." This thought is a goal for many children.They want to see their mom happy. By reading this book they will have something in common with Anita.
on January 14, 2011
The cover was the first thing that caught my eye. I love books about mommies and their unconditional love. I could tell from the cover it was a story that would tell how awesome mommies are to their children.

I was not disappointed once I read the story. The story shows that parents also learn valuable lessons from their children.

The artwork is so touching. I love looking at those beautifully drawn faces.

This is a story I will read to my daughter over and over again.
on October 5, 2010
Floating on Mama's Song is an endearing children's book that captures the magic that happens when we love our children and they too love us. It's already a favorite book of ours. My babysitter reads the book to my child in Spanish and I read it in English. He loves looking at the beautiful illustrations and enjoys the story in English and Spanish.
on February 9, 2011
This is a beautiful, lyrical story that will captivate any child. The story is enchanting and magical and the illustrations are gorgeous. I have read this night after night to my nieces and nephews, in both English and Spanish and now they are learning some Spanish words and call them out as we go. I highly recommend this book for all ages.
on February 9, 2011
This endearing story has a tenderly written message that I think will enrich the lives of girls of all ages. The beautiful illustrations in "Floating on Mama's Song" are like a dream and work together well with the lyrical words making it a pleasure to read.
on September 6, 2012
I love this book and the illustrations. This review is just a warning about the Kindle version. Do yourself a favor, purchase the hardcover. Personally I find most digital children's picture books awkward. This book is no exception. I think zooming in and out of the text would be far more effective. Technical note, I'm viewing this book via the Kindle App on the iPad 2.

So why did I purchase the digital version? I'm using bilingual children books to learn Spanish.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...