5.0 out of 5 stars The Soft Need Not Apply
Published on October 5, 2010 by Enlightened

2.0 out of 5 stars This Is That "Red Bull Rap"
The best way for me to describe Waka Flocka Flame, much less this CD, is to compare it to Red Bull: Its chock full of energy and a lot of people like it, but its ultimately unsatisfying and too much of it is bad for you.

Published on October 7, 2010 by Q. Pair

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars This Is That "Red Bull Rap", October 7, 2010
This review is from: Flockaveli (Audio CD)

Let me just say first off that despite my obvious biased, I gave this CD a listen. I really did, all 17 tracks. At the risk of being called a Waka hater, I was really not feeling this CD, and that is an understatement of epic proportions. Music is an art form and there is no right way to express yourself through it, and despite how I feel about this dude's music in general, I have been hearing people talking about this CD a lot for the last week or so, and I decided to see if everyone else was seeing something I'm not. For the life of me, I cant figure out this guy's appeal.

Waka suffers from what I call Same Song Syndrome (SSS); a very common disease among many mainstream rappers where they will make one catchy song, then replicate that song several times but alter the beat and lyrics slightly and call it an album. I will concede however, that the production on this album is pretty decent in the sense that it doesn't sound like something a kid made in his room with Frooty Loops basic. Money was spent to make this dude sound good. The sound clearly draws heavily from the short lived Crunk movement, as well as the general syth sound heard in most mainstream southern rap, giving it that pumped up fight music feel. Unfortunately, thats about as high a praise as I can really give Flockaveli, because as much as people want to try and downplay the importance of lyrics in hip hop, they do make a difference.

Waka keeps it very simple: his sub genre of Hip Hop is Gangsta Rap, therefore he raps about doing a bunch of "gangsta" stuff. Throughout the entire CD, every song, save for "F**k This Industry" is about busting gats, riding on enemies, robbing, stealing, haters, making money, and fighting. Sadly, the people expected nothing more of his music, but thats another topic. Because he is so simplistic in his subject matter and lyrical ability, he is easily accessible to anyone who wants to listen to him, but anyone who likes to hear about more then one thing for an hour will quickly grow tired of Waka's monotony. "For My Dawgs", "F**k This Industry" and maybe "No Hands" are the only examples of a 17 track album of any type of attempt at something to change it up. But clearly, thats not what Waka is going for; he's keeping it "real" on Flockaveli, and apparently this is all he knows.

Another things to beware of about this album: do not mistaken being "raw and energetic" with having talent. One of the most consistent things I have heard people saying about Flockaveli is that "he is so raw with it! Its so full of energy, and blah blah blah". While the album is full of energy (thanks mainly to the production) as far as him keeping it raw... please. Enumerable gangsta rappers past and present have done it better.

Lastly, ***gets up on soapbox*** I have to express my dislike for this CD for the content. I dont think there are too many people who can and will defend Waka making positive music. He's not, point blank. This is music to blast in your car when you just want to be loud and energized, nothing more. Come on people, lets call a Spade a Spade and be done with it, Waka Flocka Flame is by no stretch of the imagination a good music maker. Dont give him points because he's a half-booty artist doing half-booty work. But at the end of the day, your going to like you want, so if you feel the need to drop ten bucks on Fozzy Bear here, go for it. You'll be getting your money's worth for years to come ***rolls eyes and gets off soapbox***

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soft Need Not Apply, October 5, 2010
This review is from: Flockaveli (Audio CD)
I admit I am the last one to think an entire Waka Flocka Flame album would entertain me. After all, honestly he's not a good rapper. When I first heard him he could barely rhyme two bars so in that sense he is improving (by now most have seen the hilarious Shawt Bus Shawty comedy spoof on youtube). I remember on his track (not featured) Luv Dem Gun Sounds he barely rhymed at all but the track was so undeniably hard, so gangsta, so hood that it could not be ignored. Besides that song I didn't really pay much attention to him. He was always that guy in the background in Gucci Mane viral videos...you know...the weed carrier. Anyway, he then hit me in the head with O Let's Do It, another underground sensation. The song got heavy play here in Atlanta and soon thereafter Rick Ross and Diddy (The Bugati Boyz) were added to the remix and the rest as they say is history.

However, I was still not convinced. He then dropped Hard in Tha Paint, and again the track was banging. I began thinking that Waka Flocka Flame might be legit, and plus he was filling a much needed role in hip hop today. With all the singing, autotune, R&B features, and Drake harmonizing (not a bad thing) somebody was needed to balance it out and bring the gangsta back to the limelight and Waka Flocka has done just that. Make no mistake about it...there's no singing in the hooks, no harmonizing, no boo lovin and begging, no cruising songs, no love songs, nothing about how many zips or bricks he just sold....just killing, threats, kicking doors, robbing, gun sounds, fighting, and shooting. But it's REFRESHING if that makes sense.

My breaking point was when No Hands dropped and it was another banger. Despite
Waka's lyrical shortcomings, he shows that his raw and unpolished style can be successful in this climate.

Also there's a few songs that show that he has a little potential and plenty of room to improve as a rapper like F. Dis Industry and Live By The Gun as well as For My Dawgs. He is limited in technical talent but unmatched in energy. He is crunk reincarnated for 2010. No doubt with this album crunk is officially back. Every song bangs and there is nothing soft on this album. Even the "female" song No Hands has a certain element that is unlike other "female" songs out right now. The production is simply hard handled mostly by Lex Luger but also with some Drumma Boy and a few other producers. Lex Luger is most recognized from his track BMF by Rick Ross. Notable features include Pastor Troy, Wale, & Roscoe Dash with a few local rappers filling out the songs like Slim Dunkin and YG Hootie.

Waka Flocka Flame, hailing from Riverdale Georgia, has released one of the hardest albums in recent memory. This album reminds me of Young Jeezy's Thug Motivation 101 or Pastor Troy's We Ready I Declare War. Obviously less talented than those two rappers but the album gives off the same type of feel. You can hear some Lil Jon as well as some Three Six Mafia and even a little Sammy Sam. The album is also one of the best produced albums of the year.

If you are a fan of any of the aforementioned as well as Gucci Mane or if you are wondering if he can sustain an entire album of heat like his singles then rest assured Waka Flocka Flame has definitely delivered. Not only has he delivered, this is one of the better albums of the year and is highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars it sucks big time, December 23, 2010
This review is from: Flockaveli [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
first soulja boy now this mess young money artist dont even have any competition (wayne,drake, and minaj of course) can this lil dude even out rap plies. someone please tell this dude to save his money while people know his name because this will be his 5 minutes of fame please dude save your money dont spend a dime unless for education and food learn from mc hammer, plies, juvenile, mc ren, vanila ice, mike jones,daz and kurupt,ja rule, beanie siegel, maino, mase, junior mafia, currency, do or die, dmx, boosie, webbie,and basically every old r&b artist with a reality show be smar. not hatin just being real but enjoy the run and stack yo paper podna.

1.0 out of 5 stars i feel bad for people born in the 90's, March 14, 2011
This review is from: Flockaveli (Audio CD)
How can a man who cant even speak english release a quality hip hop/rap album "waka" is trash and that is it if you purchased this album expecting to hear quality lyrics and great production this record is not for you the music industry needs to start over and sign some artist with talent...HipHop standup for 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars "ONE SHOT MAN DOWN...", December 29, 2010
This review is from: Flockaveli (Audio CD)
When I first heard the name Wacka Flacka Flame I thought it was a joke. He had one small radio hit with "O Lets Do It" and I thought well that's it. Then over the summer he came strong with "Hard In The Paint". Still didn't know it was him. By time "No Hands" was everywhere on the radio, I didn't know if it was his single or Wale's (I hoped it was Wale's track) When I heard his album title was "Flockaveli" I thought "Hell Nah". Who is this young cat with no lyrics using the great Tupac's name to get more publicity? So of course it made me even more skeptical.

The first thing I noticed was how much the beats sound like Rick Ross's B.M.F. Then I found out that this album was produced by young producer Lex Luger (who also produced Ross's B.M.F & MC Hammer). His work is very impressive. The hardcore, bass thumping beats on "Bustin' At `Em" & the summer street banger "Hard In The Paint" remind me of a young Lil' Jon. His beats lay the perfect background, too bad Flame is a horrible lyricist. I haven't heard a rapper say his name so much in a song since Mike Jones. His rhymes are cartoonish. It doesn't take a musical genius to rhyme "Flame" & "Mane". (You can see the huge lyrical gap between Flame and Wale on "No Hands") The song titles tell you everything you need to know about the song. "G Check", "Bang" & "Smoke, Drank", lets you know there is nothing intelligent being said in these songs.

Not since Young Jeezy's "Thug Motivation 101", has a true gangsta, hardcore rap album came out. Theres no sing-along hooks, no sappy love songs & no auto tune. Just pure adrenaline rush beats that will keep your head bobbing for days. But you can't live off beats alone. You have to say something and that's where Flame fails miserably. For the younger generation who don't care about lyrics this will be their album of the year. But for the generation who grew up listening to the real Makaveli, this album will annoy you by the tenth track.

3.0 out of 5 stars Production And Guest Spots Are The Best Part, January 7, 2015
Basalt (Ponte Vedra, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flockaveli (Audio CD)
Waka Flocka Flame really doesnt have much talent. One only has to look at the ridiculous number of guest spots on this album and hear just any one song to know that. Couple that with the ridiculous number of times he shouts his name, along with other random noises he yells, and you have to wonder how the hell he even got a record deal in the first place. However, there are a few positive elements here. The overall production is really energetic, banging, and well-crafted, and some of the guests ultimately redeem the songs they're on. At 17 tracks, this album is sadly very overstuffed, with only a small number of tracks that are actually good and stand apart from all the rest.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Flockaveli (Audio CD)
I wasnt very impressed with most of the songs but thats what i get for buying the CD for 1 song(no hands)
Every song is prettu much waka saying his name over and over again
But if ur looking for a cd that will bump ur bass to the max, this is a good buy. nice beats. terribad lyrics

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 10, 2014
thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars cd, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Flockaveli (Audio CD)
I love waka flocka flame n always will. There is one song on this CD that has my name in it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first cd, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Flockaveli (Audio CD)
This CD by Waka Flocka Flame is awesome. Some of the beats sound similar, but the lyrical content of each song has a different messages. Just about every song I cannot skip over.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Flockaveli
Flockaveli by Waka Flocka Flame (Audio CD - 2010)