4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Dirk Pitt adventure tale
Published on September 15, 2000 by Ironmike

2.0 out of 5 stars Flood Tide doesn't hold to the Dirk Pitt tradition
Published on October 22, 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Dirk Pitt adventure tale, September 15, 2000
This review is from: Flood Tide (Mass Market Paperback)
Pitt is back with his trusty companions trying to thwart the evil plans of a Chinese madman whose intentions of diverting the Mississippi River. Coupled with a slave ring of illegal immigrants from China, a gang of ruthless killers stalking Pitt and a lovely Chinese American INS agent, Cussler weaves an interesting tale and even writes himself into this story that was both clever and humorous. Plenty of narrow escapes, witty dialog, a nefarious villian (but a close group of henchmen was missing) and a great story of a missing passenger ship fleeing the Communist take over of China and a fortune of vanished artifacts. Blend these together and it spells another terrific tale from Cussler. Not the best, but certainly entertaining reading and not to be passed over. Once again, Al, Sandecker and company work with Pitt who uses his charm, snappy come backs and his trusty .45 Colt to save the day.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you've never heard of Dirk Pitt...start HERE, December 14, 1999
This review is from: Flood Tide (Hardcover)
I consider myself a professional Clive Cussler reader...only because I've read EVERYTHING of his (in print that I'm aware of) and I have corrosponded with him on occasion. Now with that arrogant statement out of the way, I do not pretend to be a close friend, or even a decent acquaintance, however I DO know Dirk, Al, Rudi and Sandecker as well as can be expected, and I can tell the better Pitt stories from the lesser brilliant ones. This is a great 'starter' Pitt story, sort of a beginners Cussler book... but STILL fun. It seems as though we get one good Pitt novel to every GREAT Pitt novel. This isn't 'Raise The Titanic' or 'Cyclops' or even 'Sahara' but it IS an above-average adventure story (as are ALL of Cussler's books). If you are looking to get to know Dirk Pitt, by far THE best character in modern adventure fiction, I suggest you start here, and work up to his newest (and easily one of his best) 'Atantis Found'. Clive is a stud, and so is Pitt. See for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, Sprawling Adventure Epic, May 18, 2005
This review is from: Flood Tide (Mass Market Paperback)
When you pick up a book by Clive Cussler, you know what you are getting into. There will be nonstop action, some unbelievable developments, a couple of twists, maybe a little xenophobia, and of course, enough machismo to to supply an Army.

"Flood Tide" is no different. Opening with Dirk Pitt trying to get in a little fishing, and winding up saving a large number of illegal immigrants, it just gets better. This book is literally jam-packed with action and adventure as Pitt tries to stop a Chinese arch-criminal from carrying out his diabolical plan to make China the most powerful nation in the world(kind of like "Dragon," only a few miles to the west). There's an excellent sequence with the mercenary warship Oregon (now with its own spinoff series), a thrilling battle on the Mississippi river, and a search for underwater treasure. In fact, if I have a complaint about the book, it's that it's too sprawling. A little bit of the urgency bleeds away since Pitt and pal Giordino have time to travel the globe and do everything they must. In addition, after the huge developments in the middle of the book, the final showdown with the villain seemed a little weak. Nonetheless, for an excellent adventure novel, look no further than "Flood Tide."

5.0 out of 5 stars FLOOD TIDE OPENS THE FLOOD GATES FULL OF ACTION, June 28, 2000
This review is from: Flood Tide (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my first Dirk Pitt novel and I was so very surprised by this book. A friend of mine recommended his newest book Atlantis or this one and I picked this one. CC is a great adventure writer. The book is suspense driven. I read this book in 2 days flat. It is a record for me. Don't pass this blockbuster up if you are a fans of adventure. Dirk is the classic hero who gets the girl in the end. My friend also recommended Du Brul's Charon's Landing. Don't forget a YES or NO Helpful to the review and check out my other reviews; you won't be sorry. A great story is only a click away.
Great fun in reading this book I hope Atlantis is just as good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pitt dealing with real world issues, July 14, 2007
Holff (Zhuhai China) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flood Tide (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed this Book by Cussler as I have enjoyed the previous novels read. I did have one issue with the story from historical preservationists view point. **SPOILER** I did not like the fact that Cussler reveals the bones of Peking man to the open air due to their age after being submerged 50 years. Pitt acted very uncharacteristically when he orders the anthropologists to unwrap them for all to see. Not a big deal, but just something that bugged me as a historian. Other than that, it was a fairly new plot with interesting insight into problems America faces today with our dealings on the international level and the immigration issue. Cussler may be using his work to express his views on these matters which could detract readers who disagree. I will still read because I enjoy the plot and writing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Flood Tide doesn't hold to the Dirk Pitt tradition, October 22, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Flood Tide (Mass Market Paperback)
I've long been a big fan of Clive Cussler's work, but this one just doesn't cut it as a good story. Most of the other Dirk Pitt adventures were fast-paced and full of surprises. This one was neither. I had to work to finish this book, much as I did when reading the first few hundred pages of War and Peace. It lacks brilliance, and I (correctly) figured out what would happen after reading about halfway through. It's also got some elements that are, to say the least, slightly discriminatory against Asian peoples. What I do like about the book is that it seems Mr. Cussler has finally got his military information straight. I always found it a source of amusement when he described weapons and units that are completely nonexistent. Hopefully, the next adventure will retain these improvements.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flood Tide: A Novel, September 11, 2002
This review is from: Flood Tide (Hardcover)
Flood Tide written by Clive Cussler is the fourteenth in the series of Dirk Pitt adventure novels. Dirk Pitt being the legendary hero who seems to stumble into this adventure as we are taken on a wild ride of adventure and intrigue from Washington State to Louisiana.
The villian in this book is a smuggler. A smuggler of human lives to anywhere on the globe he can make a profit. Cussler works in some intricately plotted suspense and some jingoistic slurs that if you can bear aren't too bad. But, if they were missing it would be better.
As the plot thickens, Pitt goes from the high seas to the Mississippi River trying to figure out just how this smuggler gets his contraband cargo in to port. Of course, what good Cussler adventure doesn't have some treasure hidden somewhere as a subplot. Well, this has a booty that is very suprising. Set in 1949 when Chiang Kai-shek is leaving the Chinese mainland.
Cussler's masterful storytelling, with the main plot and intricately woven subplots bringing the adventure to a fever pitch. The villian is a formidable crafty survivor and Pitt has his hands full with this adventure. Of course, all of the supporting personel from NUMA are at Pitt's disposal spicing the story just right.
The story moves quickly as the narrative is straight forward and to the point. The dialog between Pitt and his trusty partner Al Giordino is classic Cussler. I enjoyed this novel as it was entertaining with adventure and intriguing. You will be caught early in this engrossing book and won't be disengaged until the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book was great, it wouldn't let you put it down., October 22, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Flood Tide (Hardcover)
The book Flood Tide, by Clive Cussler was a non- stop action mystery, with a never ending suspense. I could't put it down. The book was about a Chinese billionaire- Qin Shang- who was smuggling illegal immigrants into the country. He was doing well until the hero, Dirk Pitt, stepped into his operation. The book goes on like this, having Pitt and his partner Al Giordino incountering dilemmas, which Pitt and his partner, have to overcome. Of course, Pitt meets a girl during one of his adventures- Julia Lee who is part of the INS ( Immigration and Naturalization Service)- and almost instantly, they fall in love. I would hardly call this book trite, because it has new aspects to it. After Pitt stops Qin Shangs operation, he still has to look for the long lost liner, the Princess Dou Wan. He has to uncover the ship that was sunken in 1948, and retrieve the Peking Man. The Peking Man lived about 700,000, to 1,000,000 years ago, and is consitered priceless. I will not tell you the outcome, so you can find out for yourself. In the end Pitt and Julia live happily ever after, and plan a vacation to Mazatlan, Mexico. I would certinly recommend this book to anyone who likes action, or who can read. The only age limit I would say would be that you have to at least be 12 or 13 to read it. This is because it's long, and has a little profanity and graphic violence. Other than that, it would probably be a great book to anyone that reads it, and understands it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dirk Pitt Ad Nauseum, September 29, 2003
This review is from: Flood Tide (Mass Market Paperback)
Maybe I'm getting jaded. I used to like these novels back some time ago, with the silly preposterous chases and the historical settings and artifacts. You get everything from a battleship turned into a monument turning its guns on the capital to the ghost of a WW1 flying ace strafing a U.S. Air Force base and getting revenge. I mean everything. The main character is a cross between Jacques Cousteau and Indiana Jones, except he has more sex appeal than James Bond. Everything's always very lurid, with the hero (Dirk Pitt) getting horribly upset and desiring revenge at the expense of the villain.
The plot doesn't make much sense, or really matter that much. In this instance, Pitt's vacationing at a lake in Oregon when a billionaire Chinese lunatic tries to use the lake as a dumping ground for useless illegal Chinese immigrants (I kid you not) and of course Pitt rescues them. It turns out that the government wants Pitt and his team to explore the billionaire's operations (by one of Cussler's patented preposterous coincidences) and so off we go.
There are many adventurous things in this book, chases involving boats, cars, submarines, ultralight gliders, and so forth. Gunfire and sex abound (though the sex is tastefully done, I will say that) and the humor is kind of lame.
If you're into this sort of thing I suppose this was fun. Somehow, I think I've reached my threshhold of disbelief.

2.0 out of 5 stars No, Thank You, April 20, 2000
This review is from: Flood Tide : A Novel (Hardcover)
I finished Flood Tide almost a year after I purchased it. Thefirst 100 pages were fine, but after that I had a tough time keeping my interest in the book, and that's uncommon for me. I liked the idea, but I didn't like the writing style.

Flood Tide
Flood Tide by Clive Cussler (Mass Market Paperback - October 1, 1998)
Used & New from: $0.01