Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event STEM Toys & Games

VINE VOICEon February 19, 2013
Last year I posted my thoughts on 75 Floral Blocks to Crochet: Beautiful Patterns to Mix and Match for Afghans, Throws, Baby Blankets, and More, which I found to be a wonderful pattern book for crocheters. I'm a fan of blocks and I always like to find new patterns to experiment with.
Designer Lesley Stanfield has created gorgeous designs for knitting blocks with 75 Floral Blocks to Knit: Beautiful Patterns to Mix & Match for Throws, Accessories, Baby Blankets & More. You can mix and match these blocks to create beautiful projects.

"From stylized to naturalistic, these botanical images offer a kaleidoscope of ideas for adventurous knitters.
Many of the blocks require basic skills, while others are more complicated but really only need a little patience. They all offer a great variety of techniques from stitch patterns to color work."
p.6, 75 Floral Blocks to Knit

The patterns within this book are all inspired by flowers and nature. Sunflower, Butterfly Bloom, Hydrangea, Leaf Quartet, Marigold and Daisy Meadow are just a handful of pretty floral blocks to knit. I love the delicate look of knitted items and these blocks are really lovely. I can imagine whipping up a few and making an afghan with them.

There's helpful chapters that cover techniques such as knitting and crochet basics since a few of the patterns require crochet stitches at the centers. Crochet is also a good method for joining these blocks together. There's also a chapter covering the equipment you will need and yarn choice as well as information on how to read the abbreviations and charts within the patterns. The patterns range from Beginners, to Intermediate and Advanced.

There is also a block directory for easy reference and inspiration. The photos within the book are vibrant and the project ideas included are very nice.

I think 75 Floral Blocks to Knit: Beautiful Patterns to Mix & Match for Throws, Accessories, Baby Blankets & More would be a great pattern book for any knitter's collection.

I received my free copy of this book for a possible review from St. Martin's Griffin. This review is my honest opinion. I received no type of compensation for reading and reviewing this book.
on February 26, 2013
I loved the variety of squares and designs presented in this book. I know I will be making use of it and look forward to many happy hours knitting. I like the simplicity of instructions, the outlines of each design and the suggested colors presented in the publication.
on January 6, 2014
75 Floral Blocks to Knit: Beautiful Patterns to Mix & Match for Throws, Accessories, Baby Blankets & More by Lesley Stanfield opens with a foreword from the author and an “About This Book” section to orient its readers. The twelve page directory is a quick reference with a thumbnail of each block along with its page number.

Chapter 1: Useful Techniques includes 16 pages of information about needles, yarn, and notions, along with a guide to reading U.S. pattern abbreviations and charts. Color illustrations and instructions provide a refresher of several cast on methods, knitting in the round, and the crochet stitches used at the center of some blocks and for joins, as well as tips on stranding and intarsia, creating i-cord, embellishments such as duplicate stitch and French knots, and ideas for finishing, blocking (called pressing in the book), assembly, and joining.

The block patterns are then divided into three sections in Chapter 2: Instructions: Traditional designs, Textured designs, and Pictorial designs. Most of the designs are knit flat, with about 15% knit in the round. 5 blocks include crochet details. 32 blocks include charted instructions. Most of the blocks are squares (including a few designed on point and others that are 4 triangles joined together), but there are also 3 unusual shapes, 3 octagons, 2 hexagons, and 2 circles. Quite a few of the squares are a plain stockinette background with flowers appliqued on top. The appliques could also be used to embellish other projects. Each pattern includes a clear photo and indicates the number of needles to use (a pair, or a set of DPNs). Special abbreviations and chart keys are provided on the same page of the pattern, so you don’t have to flip back and forth while knitting.

Chapter 3: Projects includes instructions for 7 projects based on motif patterns from the book, including a hat, a cushion, a greeting card, a birdcage cover, a blanket, a potholder, and a bag. The book ends with a thorough index.

The book has the type of clean layout you would expect from a St. Martin’s Griffin knitting book. Most of the squares are quite lovely, and if you actually made all of them, you would use quite a range of knitting techniques. I wish that the patterns included difficulty levels so a newish knitter would have an easier time figuring out which to start with, and it would be helpful if more of the patterns in the Pictorial designs section included a reminder about whether to use stranding or intarsia (or both, and at which parts) for a newbie color knitter. Like all paperback books, it’s difficult to keep open while knitting.

If you’re an intermediate knitter who enjoys motifs and modular projects, this would be a solid addition to your pattern book collection. Although there are some illustrated instructions at the beginning, the author notes that “[t]his section is not a lesson in knitting.” (A confident and adventurous beginner could tackle quite a few of the patterns and grow into the rest, though.) If you enjoy adding floral embellishments to your projects, you would also find some great ideas inside to adorn your creations. If you don’t like working with small motifs, frequent color changes, and/or if you want all of your motifs to be the same size for easy joining, then you might not find this to be the perfect match for your collection.

Full disclosure: A free review copy of 75 Floral Blocks to Knit was provided by St. Martin’s. Although I accept free products for review, I do not accept additional compensation, nor do I guarantee a positive review. My reviews are based entirely on my honest opinions.
on December 5, 2014
This collection of squares, hexagons, octagons, and botanical shapes uses many inventive techniques to fashion flower and leaf modules for use in such projects from blankets and bags to birdcage covers and greeting cards.

The book begins with a broad overview of knitting equipment. Next is a brief but interesting discussion of yarn and the fabrics different gauges result in. Sections on chart reading, needlework techniques, blocking, and joining follow, including an important section on calculating the size of each module. This is crucial because the book provides no finished sizes. It offers a suggestion for yarn weight for each block, but no gauge indications.

The best way to determine whether to purchase this book is to look at the designs in it. There are 75 block designs and 7 project ideas. Lace, embossing, bobbles, elongated stitches, loop stitches, I-cord, embroidery, picked-up and bound-off stitches, and appliqué are all employed in the blocks. If you're looking to expand your repertoire of knitting techniques and like the looks of these flowers, this book would be a good way to practice each technique on a small scale.

I received a review copy of this book. See the full review, including photos, on the Kangath Knits blog.
on June 7, 2013
I love this book! I preordered it and have been eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I pulled out all my leftover skeins and started knitting the blocks the day I received the book. They've all turned out looking great. They were fun to make. Some were easy and some were challenging. The author has clearly marked the skill level required. I've knitted 7 already and I just finished the daisy with the little butterfly. I plan on making them all and putting them into a couple of afghans. Some of them took very little time. I've been making them in the evenings while I relax after work. The author is creative and the instructions are very clear. I recommend it highly.
on June 25, 2013
I'm a newbie knitter, but I showed this to an old hand, and boy! was she impressed. She didn't think they looked too hard either. We tho't there would be all kinds of variations and possibilities with these blocks. I bet you could even take the flower part out of the block and use it to make a huge bouquet afghan! I hope I can try it soon.
on April 2, 2013
Although it took a long time to be delivered I am delighted with it.
This will be useful to make in spare moments, as each block will not take
a long time to create and new skills will be developed.
The designs are really beautiful.

Thank you so much!
Best wishes

Mrs Janette E Whitaker . BARNSLEY UK
on November 29, 2013
This book has a wonderful collection of flower block patterns with easy to understand instructions and charts.
Some of the patterns are based on texture some are worked with intarsha colorwork and some have applied elements.

In all a great mix to please most knitters.
on May 14, 2013
I chose this book because of the unique designs and that there are enough different ones to fit all kinds of moods or tastes.
It's great to work with because you can do a small project (knitting small squares) and feel you've accomplished a lot!
on April 12, 2013
the book is beautiful, and very useful. Every kind of flower you can imagine is there to make by knitting.
I enjoy the pictures, and I can recommend for anybody who wants to enhance their knowledge.